COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Source Code (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Smurfs 2 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Gangs of New York (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Leviathan (Blu-ray)
$15.89
Cuban Fury (Blu-ray)
$16.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$74.35
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Last Vegas (Blu-ray)
$9.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Old 01-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #101
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougotte View Post
I watched the BD last night. I first saw it on VHS, then several times on the DVD. The BD is much darker. I think it's closer to the original intent, but it seemed too dark (I'm a fan of the recent Escape from NY and Last of the Mohicans BDs and think they look just fine). A lot of detail was crushed due to the dark contrast. However, the detail was still better than the DVD. Also, the sound seemed a bit boxy, but maybe that's due to the source elements. I don't remember the DVD sounding like it.
My one complaint about this Blu-ray transfer is that the picture does look too dark during a few key scenes. Early in the movie, in fact, when Caleb is staggering across the fields in the rising sun, with smoke coming off his body, it's difficult to see him below the horizon. The bar scenes were also quite dark. I have no idea if this was the filmmaker's intent, though, so I just rolled along with it.

A lot of people in this thread are complaining about waxy faces and DNR on this DVD, but I simply did not notice these flaws at all. Maybe it's just because I have a modest-size HDTV (32''), but I did not notice any DNR tampering to speak of, and the faces of the actors looked just fine to me.

This looks better than my previous DVD. Not miles and miles better, but it's still the best-looking version of this movie that I own.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 PM   #102
Banned

Feb 2010
St. Paul Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
My one complaint about this Blu-ray transfer is that the picture does look too dark during a few key scenes. Early in the movie, in fact, when Caleb is staggering across the fields in the rising sun, with smoke coming off his body, it's difficult to see him below the horizon. The bar scenes were also quite dark. I have no idea if this was the filmmaker's intent, though, so I just rolled along with it.

A lot of people in this thread are complaining about waxy faces and DNR on this DVD, but I simply did not notice these flaws at all. Maybe it's just because I have a modest-size HDTV (32''), but I did not notice any DNR tampering to speak of, and the faces of the actors looked just fine to me.

This looks better than my previous DVD. Not miles and miles better, but it's still the best-looking version of this movie that I own.

Thats why.
Old 01-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #103
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

My bad. I didn't know those features were ported over. I picked up this Blu-ray when it was released for $8 and I watch it every now and then. It's those classics that you can't get enough of. But, I was disappointed that Lionsgate tried to produce the cover so that it resembled the "Twilight" Blu-ray cover.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #104
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

I dont think the transfer is up to par with simalar films in this genre but its still worth a watch.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:13 PM   #105
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

I agree. The quality may not be all that great but I still enjoy watching it from time to time.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:59 AM   #106

Jul 2009

I'm glad I bought the BD for $7, and it's slightly better than the DVD, but I do wish we could have a new edition w/ a better transfer.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #107

Jul 2009

Near Dark would be a nice candidate for a Scream Factory release, wouldn't it?
Old 03-12-2013, 08:13 AM   #108
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via AIM to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via MSN to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via Skype™ to deepbreathsanddeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostelmovies View Post
I some how nabbed a copy of this from Wal*Mart today for $10.00.

The PQ is just about as good as it will ever get. Very solid. Very little grain. The opening scene with Caleb and May with the neon lights behind them is amazing for this being such an old movie. And the sound is also pretty solid but it has always had good sound. If you like this movie or vampire movies this is a must have for only $10.00.

PQ - 4 out of 5
SQ - 4 out of 5
Front Cover - 0 out of 5

Near Dark Blu-ray

Near Dark Blu-ray Review

I wish they'd used this:

or this:
No, it isn't. I doubt Near Dark will ever look stunning but this transfer is far from good enough and certainly not the best it could look. At the very least refraining from using DNR would've improved it's look by a lot.

The fact that there is basically no grain is part of why it's such a bad transfer. I've seen worse looking movies, but this isn't a bad looking movie by intention. It's the transfer that sucks.

The movie's age is irrelevant to how impressive it can look, but on the topic of it's age, you consider 1987 "such an old movie"? Have you not seen any of the restored classics and The Twilight Zone: The Original Series in particular? It looks better than most stuff being made today. Obviously the intended style and the conditions it was shot in mean it will never be ultra sharp but it's the laziness of those who did the transfer and disrespect to the original look that's the problem, not it's age.

I give it 2/5 and that's fair considering 2.5 is technically average. It looks better than the DVD, sure, but only marginally. Compression problems have been fixed up and the additional resolution mean's there's a slightly clearer look, but that's just not good enough for this great movie.

Hopefully it gets a new transfer eventually. The cover art is seriously so bad that it's put me off wanting to watch it a few times I've sort of been in the mood for rewatching it. I may have to get a custom cover until a new release comes out.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #109
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

hopefully it gets a restoration and all the extra's from the amazing 2 disc dvd!!!

otherwise ill stick with my dvd
Old 03-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #110
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadelf View Post
hopefully it gets a restoration and all the extra's from the amazing 2 disc dvd!!!

i think ur better off with ur dvd bruv.
Currently: Playing:Wolfenstein The New Order/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition/Watch Dogs
Old 03-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #111
Special Member

Feb 2008
France

Same DP as Terminator and T2. This should look like the recent Terminator Blu-ray does. It doesn't.

I suspect they will change the sleeve to make it look like Zero Dark Thirty or The Hurt Locker, and remarket it before they fix the transfer thought.
Widescreen is better.

Last edited by HDvision; 03-12-2013 at 09:52 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #112
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:

As pointed out a few posts up, all of the extras are ported over. I'd say it's worth $4.99 (when it drops back down to that price again) for the (extremely minor) PQ upgrade, and definitely worth $4.99 for those who don't already own the film at all, but I wouldn't pay much more than that.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #113
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:

All it's missing are the still galleries, story boards and dvd-rom screenplay. It's not like they stripped this like Anchor Bay or Mill Creek, the important stuff is here! That said, I still have my dvd for the awesome cover art, that's worth more to me than a few bucks I'd get selling it.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #114
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

I own the Blu Ray - the DVD has better packaging, and the transfers are more or less identical..
Get the Blu Ray for shelf space if you want
Old 03-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #115
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
As pointed out a few posts up, all of the extras are ported over. I'd say it's worth $4.99 (when it drops back down to that price again) for the (extremely minor) PQ upgrade, and definitely worth $4.99 for those who don't already own the film at all, but I wouldn't pay much more than that.
I thought there was no PQ upgrade? Wasn't this one of the titles that were heavily DNR'ed?
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Nosferatu (1979), Blood and Black Lace, Dracula (1979), L'avventura, The Vanishing (1988), Eyes Without a Face, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Without Warning, Don't Look Now (remaster), Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:51 PM   #116
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post
I thought there was no PQ upgrade? Wasn't this one of the titles that were heavily DNR'ed?
Yes, that's why I had the 'extremely minor' qualifier - any improvement on the DVD would only be on a slight technical level, from going from SD to HD (although there has been some speculation that this is merely an upconvert - that's how little detail and grain there is). The transfer itself shows mild improvement with regard to colors in daytime sequences, but is otherwise very disappointing. Again though, it is a great film and includes all of the extras, so for $4.99 anyone who doesn't own it all should definitely buy it, although those who already have the DVD shouldn't feel too pressed to upgrade.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:13 PM   #117
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

My guess is that we will not see a better-looking transfer of this movie anytime soon. I could be wrong, though, because I'm always surprised at what obscure movies are coming out of the woodwork with pristine Blu-ray transfers.

For now, this one is inexpensive and it looks better than the DVD. It's the bottom of the barrel in my collection as far as Blu-ray transfers go, but it still looks better than the DVD.

If you have never seen Near Dark, then I highly recommend at least a rental. This is one of the forgotten jewels of the 1980s, and the inclusion of The Cramps - "Fever" is icing on the cake.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #118
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Not for nothing, but I saw a midnight screening of Near Dark in October on 35mm and it looked like ass, too. The VHS looked liked this, as disc the old laserdisc.

My powers of deduction are telling me that lousy-looking source material could be a big part of the issue...

Last edited by benricci; 03-12-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America