Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Kingpin (Blu-ray)
$14.39
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planes: Fire & Rescue (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Welcome to the Space Show (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Raw Force (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Girl Hunters (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 8 (Blu-ray)
$32.18
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-08-2014, 05:21 AM   #1541
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

Unfortunately, it's missing the extras from the Twilight Time release.

Which means anyone buying the Resen disc should hang on to their Special Edition DVD's.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #1542

May 2010
Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MifuneFan View Post
Amazon.com has put up a pre-order page for Body Double. It's an import, not sure from which country (Australia if I had to guess), but the price is reasonable at $24

http://www.amazon.com/Body-Double-Bl...1309014&sr=1-4
Yes - that is the Australian cover. The disc is region B locked (I purchased it today).
Old 07-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #1543
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

There's a chance that Resen is selling bootlegs/unauthorized releases. Their releases are very often identical with US releases of the same movie, down to bitrate, subtitles,etc.. DVDbeaver has brought this up in past reviews too. I think the fact that they're all region free too, makes it seem suspeicious. There's a company in Italy called Studio 4K that had a very similar track record.

Last edited by MifuneFan; 07-08-2014 at 03:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:48 AM   #1544

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
Yes - that is the Australian cover. The disc is region B locked (I purchased it today).
May I please ask how it looks? Is it likely the same encode as the Twilight Time and European (possibly bootleg) release..?
Old 07-09-2014, 10:17 AM   #1545

May 2010
Sydney

I have not seen the TT or European releases but the Australian release looks good - natural film grain, sharp & detailed image in both day and night scenes and vivid colors throughout.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:53 AM   #1546

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael A View Post
I have not seen the TT or European releases but the Australian release looks good - natural film grain, sharp & detailed image in both day and night scenes and vivid colors throughout.
Thanks Michael.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 PM   #1547
Power Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dene View Post
May I please ask how it looks? Is it likely the same encode as the Twilight Time and European (possibly bootleg) release..?
it is not the same encode as its about 22 GB all up, compared to the TT and Resen relase stats of around 33-34 GB. Cant comment on how it looks yet as have not had the chance to check it out on the tv yet.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #1548

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitin View Post
it is not the same encode as its about 22 GB all up, compared to the TT and Resen relase stats of around 33-34 GB. Cant comment on how it looks yet as have not had the chance to check it out on the tv yet.
Ah, okay. Interesting - please keep us posted.

On the strength of the Resen being more or less identical to the TT I have ordered it. I have the extras on the SE DVD so it's not a deal breaker that they're not present.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:09 PM   #1549
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Germany

looks like the spanish release is the one to get...
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Body-D...5/#UserReviews
Old 07-09-2014, 03:38 PM   #1550
Power Member

Feb 2010

there is no way Resen is legit? Unlike Studio4k where there was some doubt because they had different encodes, Resen's discs look like complete ports from heaps of different studios.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:00 PM   #1551

Oct 2008
Europe, Portugal

So, has i said earlier in this thread, it was confirmed by Gary Tooze on Dvdbeaver that the Resen transfer is a direct copy of the out-of-print Twilight Time minus the extras. Unfortunately Resen dosen't hold a great deal of reputation in Spain because most of their releases are BD-R, but this one is a pressed disc. Someone at Twilight Time should take action because the people at Resen (and Llamentol by the way) are copying and selling copies at Amazon from the TT masters:

- "Body Double" (Doble Cuerpo) Resen
- "Mysterious Island" (La Isla Misteriosa) BD-R Resen
- "The Egyptian" (Sinuhé el Egipcio) BD-R Llamentol
- "The Roots of Heaven" (Las Raíces del Cielo) Llamentol
- "Demetrius and the Gladiators" (Demetrius y los Gladiadores) Resen

and i could go on and on...
Old 08-09-2014, 12:35 PM   #1552

Nov 2010
Boalsburg, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruioptica View Post
So, has i said earlier in this thread, it was confirmed by Gary Tooze on Dvdbeaver that the Resen transfer is a direct copy of the out-of-print Twilight Time minus the extras. Unfortunately Resen dosen't hold a great deal of reputation in Spain because most of their releases are BD-R, but this one is a pressed disc. Someone at Twilight Time should take action because the people at Resen (and Llamentol by the way) are copying and selling copies at Amazon from the TT masters:

Why should they take action? How do you know Resen don't have the rights to release those prints? And it's certainly not like Twilight Time created those masters. They get them from the studios.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:21 PM   #1553

Oct 2008
Europe, Portugal

If i start a Bluray company and begin to copy every single TT release to BD-R and sell them in the market, it's legit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrchidClub View Post
Why should they take action? How do you know Resen don't have the rights to release those prints? And it's certainly not like Twilight Time created those masters. They get them from the studios.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #1554
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
If i start a Bluray company and begin to copy every single TT release to BD-R and sell them in the market, it's legit?
his point was that we don't KNOW if they got the rights to them elsewhere. Until proof is given that they ARE copying them from TT (then add to the fact that TT is a U.S. company and doesn't have any pull in the German legal system
Thanks given by:
ruioptica (08-10-2014)
Old 08-09-2014, 10:37 PM   #1555
Blu-ray Duke

Mar 2012
New York City

Resen very likely are selling bootlegs. If you look at the films tehy release, it's all very suspect, but most telling is the back covers. None of them show any sort of studio names or logos from where they're licensing them. For instance, they have a copy of Lady from Shanghai for sale, but no sort of credit to Sony. ANother red flag is the fact that all their titles are region free. Every studio isn't going to give them the rights to make their titles region free, it just seems very suspicious. THere's an outfit in Italy called Studio4K that's doing the exact same thing. It wouldn't even surprise me if they were the same people behind Resen and Llamentol. So we can say there isn't hard proof, but I'd say it's in all likelihood true.

Edit: I'd actuallly say this is harder proof that they're selling knockoffs. Resen released their own copy of Touch of Evil, very likely sourced from Eureka/Moc in April. Little did they know Universal planned a release of their own in Spain in July.

Last edited by MifuneFan; 08-09-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Thanks given by:
ruioptica (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 07:16 AM   #1556
Special Member

Jan 2011

Quote:

It was actually confirmed when I pointed out earlier in the thread that the bdinfo scans between beaver and caps-a-holic revealed that the Resen showed the exact same numbers as TT for the video/audio encodes. With the number of times that's occurred by coincidence being approx 0, the source of the Resen was obvious. Further, TT acquired a master from Sony, from which TT then made a final BD encode (or rather, farmed it out to their go-to authoring facility). So the question is whether Resen legally acquired TT's encodes, and I suspect they're about as legit as an acre of prime Florida swampland. I can only presume they're exploiting some sort of weird legal loophole, because it otherwise seems like an oddly bold risk.
Thanks given by:
ruioptica (08-10-2014)
Old 08-10-2014, 02:33 PM   #1557
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
his point was that we don't KNOW if they got the rights to them elsewhere. Until proof is given that they ARE copying them from TT (then add to the fact that TT is a U.S. company and doesn't have any pull in the German legal system
Not trying to start anything, but just a common sense thought that may help.

If they had rights to these, why are they making BD-r's and not just make BD's? That's the biggest tell possible right there. This isn't Warner Archives doing limited niche titles, or MGM MOD. Legit companies don't usually release sub-standard products, at least ones that survive don't. The addition of no studio logos on back, mixed with BD-r, pretty much cements that they have to be boots. If they aren't boots, then Echo Bridge just lost their title of worst BD company!
Old 08-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #1558
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
why german legal system? its a company from spain. they are just selling in all EU amazon shops from the marketplace

Lady From Shanghai is another BD-R release.

and they got many Criterion movies (BD-R) as well. like i married a witch and the hitchcock movies.
would love to own "body double" but im not gonna support a bootleg company. (not to mention some of their releases arent really cheap with you include the shipping fee they are asking)

Last edited by Mansinthe; 08-10-2014 at 02:44 PM.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #1559
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
Not trying to start anything, but just a common sense thought that may help.

If they had rights to these, why are they making BD-r's and not just make BD's? That's the biggest tell possible right there. This isn't Warner Archives doing limited niche titles, or MGM MOD. Legit companies don't usually release sub-standard products, at least ones that survive don't. The addition of no studio logos on back, mixed with BD-r, pretty much cements that they have to be boots. If they aren't boots, then Echo Bridge just lost their title of worst BD company!
ahhhhh, I didn't see they were BD-R's..that definitely would have me suspicious for sure.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America