Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$47.88
Team America: World Police (Blu-ray)
$9.98
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Escape from Alcatraz (Blu-ray)
$9.98
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
Space Dandy: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$37.39
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
We Are Still Here (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Vampire Diaries: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Scorpion: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.95
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-18-2015, 02:06 AM   #341

Feb 2012

As far as i'm concerned, they can keep delaying it. Synapse puts everything into their releases, and I'd much prefer it final product be top notch rather than rushed out to meet a release date.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (08-18-2015), Christian Muth (08-18-2015), darkness2918 (08-18-2015), Mr. Thomsen (08-18-2015), Undeadcow (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 03:29 AM   #342
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Ohio

Every time I see this thread get bumped I get excited about seeing a release date.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:27 AM   #343

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
The annoying thing is that these were announced in 2013 as Holiday titles back then. What's especially frustrating is that everything else went to the back burner as well so these films could be worked on. Popcorn, Manos, and lord knows what else has been stuck in limbo thanks to these titles. I'm all for a good restoration, but announcing a title 2+ years early when you know damn good and well there's no chance in hell you're going to hit those early release dates is just flat out ridiculous. At the very least continue to put out some new releases as you work... and no, the peep show collection doesn't count.
None of this is true. Synapse never announced release dates on these, nor did they put other titles "on the back burner" to work on them. In fact, Synapse NEVER announces release dates until they are pretty far along in the authoring process. POPCORN took longer than expected because the sound elements were tied up at Sony and they took their sweet time responding the Synapse's requests for access. And MANOS, as far as I know, was never "delayed" at all. And as much as you may disapprove of the peep-show collection, titles in that line are Synapse's bread-and-butter and provide them with the resources to take on expensive cult/horror restorations.

Chris

Last edited by Christian Muth; 08-18-2015 at 04:33 AM.
Thanks given by:
bkhage01 (08-18-2015), dsman71 (08-18-2015), Mr. Thomsen (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 05:36 AM   #344

May 2013

I'd rather have a quality presentation than a rushed product, since these films have never gotten proper care on home video. So it's great if one of the films is released later this year, and the other not long after. But I'll try to keep my mind off it, to avoid becoming impatient.
Don't forget to subscribe, share, and leave comments on my Youtube channel!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1s...EODhvv0Y1-QOVA
Old 08-18-2015, 07:08 AM   #345
Special Member

Sep 2014

Cant wait to grab these 2 when they come out.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #346
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Muth View Post
None of this is true. Synapse never announced release dates on these, nor did they put other titles "on the back burner" to work on them. In fact, Synapse NEVER announces release dates until they are pretty far along in the authoring process. POPCORN took longer than expected because the sound elements were tied up at Sony and they took their sweet time responding the Synapse's requests for access. And MANOS, as far as I know, was never "delayed" at all. And as much as you may disapprove of the peep-show collection, titles in that line are Synapse's bread-and-butter and provide them with the resources to take on expensive cult/horror restorations.

Chris
Actually synpase said the demons movies, phenomena and Tenebrae are all coming out in 2013 (check out the first post in this thread). I also have advertising they synapse put out for these title saying coming soon from 2013.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 11:31 AM   #347
Power Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Can't believe people here. It's a fact that Synapse have worked on several restorations the last couple of years that turned out to be much more complicated than initially planned for. It's also a fact that it's only a two man operation, and that Don May's father died last year, which meant he had to take some much needed time off.

Really, considering the high quality level of their output, I think they deserve some slack. It's not even like either movie is unavailable to watch.

It's no wonder that us horror fans tend to get such a bad rep - there are way too many spoiled, entitled brats among us.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Kill Baby Kill, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Man Bites Dog, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979), Carnival of Souls, Cat People (1942), I walked with a Zombie, Don't Go in the House, The Thing From Another World.
Thanks given by:
dallywhitty (08-18-2015), dsman71 (08-18-2015), Martin_31 (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #348

Oct 2013
Melbourne, Australia

The recent Arrow edition of Tenebre is really good
Old 08-18-2015, 11:39 AM   #349
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post
Can't believe people here. It's a fact that Synapse have worked on several restorations the last couple of years that turned out to be much more complicated than initially planned for. It's also a fact that it's only a two man operation, and that Don May's father died last year, which meant he had to take some much needed time off.

Really, considering the high quality level of their output, I think they deserve some slack. It's not even like either movie is unavailable to watch.

It's no wonder that us horror fans tend to get such a bad rep - there are way too many spoiled, entitled brats among us.
This +1000. Come on, guys. You know exactly what the situation is here. Synapse doesn't disappoint, and it's not like either title is that hard to track down and watch while you wait for these blu-rays.
Thanks given by:
dsman71 (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #350
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post

They get a ton of slack. Everyone knows it will be worth it when they are released. When the only thing to talk about is a potential release dates, then inevitably the conversation is going to turn into how long it's taking.When it turns into years of delays they deserve some criticism.

I haven't seen anything in this thread that is worthy of calling people spoiled entitled brats. If anything horror fans get a bad rep because so many are rude and abrasive.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 04:35 PM   #351

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofthemack View Post
Actually synpase said the demons movies, phenomena and Tenebrae are all coming out in 2013 (check out the first post in this thread). I also have advertising they synapse put out for these title saying coming soon from 2013.
Okay, point taken, but he never said other titles were being "put on the back burner" as was accused in the post I was responding to, and they never do announce concrete street dates until they are well into authoring.

Chris
Thanks given by:
Mr. Thomsen (08-19-2015), returnofthemack (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #352
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2012
Returning Some Tapes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Muth View Post

Chris
An ad was run advertising the titles for holiday 2013. I've posted it before but my post history only goes back to June so I'm unable to relocate it. Whether the ad was ever meant to be run or someone at fangoria/rue morgue/etc. Just getting overly excited I don't know, but I've definitely seen an ad. Popcorn has been in the works for over 2 years now that we know of. I understand there were difficulties, but you can't tell me that and other projects weren't pushed aside once they realized they'd acquired the Italian films. I honestly don't give a crap about Manos, but it's another example of a long time commng title that others enjoy. As for the peep show collection.... I'm well aware that's it's a big money maker for them, but the amount of effort that goes into those releases is a far cry from any of the Blu Ray releases and can't possibly take long to produce. Given that years go by between announcement and release on most Blu Rays, I don't think it's to much to ask that announcements are either held to within 6-9 months of actual release, or that previously announced titles aren't put aside with no updates or progress on them in favor of a title (or titles) that won't be ready for years. I think it's great Synapse is releasing the Italian trio of titles.... But do I really need to know they have them 5 years before they're ready to purchase? I'd much prefer to hear about whatever is actually close to being finished.
Wanted To Buy:
-Sword in the Stone Slip Cover ($7 Shipped)
-Robin Hood (Disney) (Slip Cover) ($7 Shipped)
(Will Pay $15 Shipped if One Person can send Both Slip Covers)

My 2015 Watched Movies Thread
Thanks given by:
cine74 (08-19-2015), returnofthemack (08-18-2015)
Old 08-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #353
Power Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
I think it's great Synapse is releasing the Italian trio of titles.... But do I really need to know they have them 5 years before they're ready to purchase? I'd much prefer to hear about whatever is actually close to being finished.
Point taken, but from a business perspective it does make good sense, though. Put it out there that you have acquired a certain title, and some consumers are definitely going to pass on the competition's version and wait it out for yours - at least when your reputation is as good as Synapse's.

I know I myself am guilty of it. I would definitely had bought the French BD or the UK re-release BD of Tenebre long time ago, had I not known Synapse would be releasing theirs eventually. And the same goes for the recent German release of Suspiria.

Of course, if I really was desperate to watch the titles, I would have bought them anyway. But as it stands, I am not. I can easily wait. Plenty of other stuff to buy in the meantime.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Kill Baby Kill, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Man Bites Dog, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979), Carnival of Souls, Cat People (1942), I walked with a Zombie, Don't Go in the House, The Thing From Another World.
Thanks given by:
AlexIlDottore (08-19-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America