Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Singin' in the Rain (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Game of Thrones: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.95
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Mad Max (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Kingsman: The Secret Service (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Spirited Away (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$37.21
Hyperdimension Neptunia The Animation: Complete Series + OVA LE (Blu-ray)
$40.29
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Immigrant (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Song of the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.95
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 04-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #2001
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Shropshire, UK
Send a message via MSN to dallywhitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaFox View Post
What did you think of the color timing? When I saw it at the Alamo a few months back it was the Final Cut and it was being shown on a rare 35mm print. I noticed the opening scene was pretty balanced. Not reddish in tone like the earlier home video releases, but I didn't really feel like it had a teal push people complain about the Final Cut having, or at least not one I recognized as TEAL. Just a very faint blue if at all.
To my eyes it looked identical to the Blu-ray release (except higher quality, of course). It didn't really bother me as it would normally, though. I'm not a massive fan of the Final Cut's colour timing but I guess I was so caught up in the experience of seeing it on the big screen, it didn't detract from the experience.

The predicament of rewatching the Final Cut (it's been a while as my more recent viewings have been of the workprint and Director's Cut) is that I now can't decide what my favourite version of the film is! I still think the touched-up effects and everything are unnecessary but I also love that the Final Cut incorporates certain elements from the workprint - bits of dialogue here and there, the shot of the girls with the hockey masks, etc. The Director's Cut has been my favourite for a while but now I'm conflicted.

Regardless, it's my favourite film no matter which cut I watch. I guess I'm lucky in that I can continue to re-watch different variations and keep the film fresh.
Favourite film: Blade Runner --- Favourite director: David Lynch
Favourite album: Movement by New Order --- Favourite novel: It by Stephen King

Last edited by dallywhitty; 04-06-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #2002
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallywhitty View Post
Regardless, it's my favourite film no matter which cut I watch. I guess I'm lucky in that I can continue to re-watch different varations and keep the film fresh.
And that's why I love having multiple versions of some of my favourite movies. It seems like most people love the "more is more" kitchen sink type of approach and couldn't give a shit about any other version, but I think it's fascinating to be able to look at different cuts, to find out what works/doesn't work and why. I generally prefer the tighter, shorter edits but even I'll watch the "stop to smell the roses" editions from time to time, just to change things up and put a different perspective on a film that I love.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #2003
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
When I saw it at the Alamo a few months back it was the Final Cut and it was being shown on a rare 35mm print.
It was definitely the Final Cut? I can't imagine the 35mm print been that rare, unless it was mostly distributed digitally back then (2007)?
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
Old 04-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #2004
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
It was definitely the Final Cut? I can't imagine the 35mm print been that rare, unless it was mostly distributed digitally back then (2007)?
I saw it twice in 2007 at very different cinemas and both showings were digital.
Thanks given by:
chip75 (04-06-2015)
Old 04-06-2015, 07:33 PM   #2005
Special Member

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
Yes, it was the Final Cut, and yes it was a 35mm print. You know how the Alamo has someone come up to the front with a mic and talk about the movie a bit before the movie starts. It was one of a small number (I think they said 10 prints) done (likely for the limited theatrical showings after the Final Cut restoration.

The hockey mask scene was there (I really don't dig that scene, honestly -- makes me think of Jason too much). The hand on Roy's shoulder from the shot being re-purposed was gone. It had the correct title screen and music (so it wasn't the workprint).

I went with a friend from work who had only seen the original theatrical cut on cable before, and he didn't get the unicorn gum-wrapper reference at the end. He had been looking at the menu and missed Deckard's dream sequence when it happened.
Sony BDP-S580 | Samsung T240HD
Old 04-06-2015, 07:37 PM   #2006
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Yes, it was the Final Cut, and yes it was a 35mm print. You know how the Alamo has someone come up to the front with a mic and talk about the movie a bit before the movie starts. It was one of a small number (I think they said 10 prints) done (likely for the limited theatrical showings after the Final Cut restoration.
Thanks for the information. Sounds like a treat!
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America