Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Animal House (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Breakfast Club (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: How do you rate The Heat
1 star 6 13.33%
2 stars 4 8.89%
3 stars 9 20.00%
4 stars 17 37.78%
5 stars 9 20.00%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-15-2013, 06:31 AM   #221
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Port Moody, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydogva View Post
I have enjoyed watching both of these actresses in other films, but it amazes me how acceptable suggested or actual genital mutilation of men has become. It is most often looked at as humorous; that's the road this film took and mostly why I couldn't stand it. Many other posts talk about the number of "F" bombs the film contained, but no one that I saw said anything about this kind of violence. F-bombs are the least of our worries. At least it was Rated "R". If it was PG-13 or less, I would be very disturbed. Imagine the roles reversed (2 male cops committing similar violence or threatening violence on a female) the audience would be outraged; as they should be! Perhaps one day men will wake up and voice more concern over this kind of portrayal, but quite often this comedic content comes from men themselves. In the case of "The Heat" it's a female screenwriter, which in my opinion suggest a clear hatred of men. This film was garbage for that reason. Many women complain about being portrayed as sex objects. I would much rather endure that than the open and acceptable comedic portrayal of sexual assault of men.
Great post. You had me going for a second.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:05 PM   #222

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdevil View Post
You must not have watched a slasher picture. Ever.
I get your point and had thought of that, but a slasher or horror flick is far removed from a comedy. While the sexual violence portrayed in a horror movie may be looked upon by a few sickos as titillating, it is not, however, laughed at by mainstream audiences. I don't recall Billy and Stu in Scream deliberately hacking up women's sex organs or threatening sexual assault. And if they did, I doubt anyone was laughing about it. I challenge you to find a single movie from the comedy genre where sexual violence against women is portrayed this way.
Old 07-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #223

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdevil View Post
Or like the history of film. 'Accepted' violence against women has been prominent for years. In most slasher flicks it is done for titillation and I've read studies where a decent amount of men are actually turned on by it. I don't know where he got the sentiment from but the fact that he had such a reaction to it's use in this film means Feig was pretty successful.
Yes, there is plenty of violence against women in movies and sexual assaults on women in movies, but it is never acceptable within the terms of the story portrayed in the movie and always committed by the villain(s). Give me an example of a movie where you have seen the "heroes" of the film committing these "acceptable" sexual assaults against women? I don't know of any.

An Feig was successful? I thought the whole premise of this film was to make people laugh? In my case, no; at least not as much as everyone else.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #224
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2011

I liked this movie a lot, and even tho I'm not a fan of excessive profanity, it works in this film. There were a couple squemish scenes, I'm sure you know which ones I'm referring to.
*Badass on the internet - Momma's boy in real life!*
Old 07-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #225
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Loma Linda, CA

My fav comedy of the year.

(I haven't seen This is The End)
Old 07-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #226
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

Saw The Heat for a third time today. This was the first weekend it was not on 2 screens. We went to the 6:55 showing. In a 175-seater there were like two floor seats left. You may as well say it was sold out, or like 99% full or something. Audience loved it and were dying. One scene had some people clapping.

Someone different trailers than the first time I saw it at this theater, besides a few anyway.

We had:

The To-Do List (Green-Band) - This got a lot of laughs
Insidious Chapter 2 - This also got laughs. Totally wrong audience for this trailer.
Runner Runner
Wolverine
About Time

I still laughed my ass off. This movie is a riot. There's a good chance Melissa McCarthy will make my Best Actress list at the end of the year. Her comedic timing is perfection. I told a friend when it comes to the local theater I'd see it with them so I think there's a fourth theatrical viewing in my future.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:58 AM   #227
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by newginafets View Post
My fav comedy of the year.

(I haven't seen This is The End)

see it. now.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 AM   #228
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Loma Linda, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgeneral View Post
see it. now.
Im still waiting for the blu ray
Old 07-22-2013, 01:45 PM   #229

May 2011

Surprised to see the warm reception of the last couple pages, saw a little on Thursday while waiting for Red 2 (woof) at 7PM. Walked out after McCarthy was cutting up Bullocks clothes in the bathroom. Just too many scenes floundering as McCarthy stammered and stuttered her way through minutes of screen time struggling to come up with a joke as Bullock's improvisation amounted to little more than mousey "noes" or "well, okay, I'm a FBI agent." Also Bullock looked to be on the verge of tears the whole time.
Here's to the rubble. A brick through every window, a casket buried six feet deep for everybody's heroes. Here's to our lives being meaningless. And how beautiful it is, because freedom doesn't have a purpose.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:57 AM   #230
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2011

$133,169,979 domestic total so far. I'm so proud of this movie's success! I wonder if it can make $150M. It will easily pass up Identity Thief's $134.5 domestic total this weekend!
Money is the anthem of success. So before we go out, what's your address?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-JULFqMqRE
Old 07-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #231
Banned

Jun 2012

Saw this a week ago and it was hilarious. Best comedy of the year. Melissa McCarthy isn't bad asides from Identity Thief.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #232
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Troll View Post
Saw this a week ago and it was hilarious. Best comedy of the year. Melissa McCarthy isn't bad asides from Identity Thief.
Glad you enjoyed it. The laughs are pretty much non-stop.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #233
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2011

$6,850,000 for its 5th weekend, a -26.4% drop. Domestic total is $141,245,000

$150M definitely looks possible.
Money is the anthem of success. So before we go out, what's your address?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-JULFqMqRE
Old 07-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #234
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by remake View Post
$6,850,000 for its 5th weekend, a -26.4% drop. Domestic total is $141,245,000

$150M definitely looks possible.
150 Million is a sure thing, not just a possibility.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies