Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Harry Potter Hogwarts Collection (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Ghostbusters 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Journey to Space 4K + 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Jurassic World 3D Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$69.09
Independence Day: Resurgence 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Under the Sea 3D (Blu-ray)
$11.03
The Secret Life of Pets 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.96
Gnomeo & Juliet 3D (Blu-ray)
$13.79
The Last Reef: Cities Beneath the Sea 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.91
Zootopia 3D (Blu-ray)
$26.96
Flight of the Butterflies 4K +3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Fascination Coral Reef 3D: Mysterious Worlds Underwater (Blu-ray)
$6.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 05-31-2016, 03:17 PM   #481
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
I had a great time watching Prometheus, and that one guy in that video summed it up well, that it's about explorers visiting an unknown planet to discover a new history only to find out it's not what they bargained for. It's much like the tale of visiting an ancient pyramid and finding it's filled with traps and death. The two mercenaries
[Show spoiler]were dumb, but otherwise, the others were more intelligent.

I heard people say they didn't like Noomi Rapace's performance as Liz Shaw the scientist, but I thought she gave a believable performance for who she was. The parasitic theme was great, and I like the concept of the
[Show spoiler]Engineers being destructive beings.

Very much looking forward to Alien Covenant.

While a good portion of the 3D was in the mild to low medium range, the action scenes did stand out with stronger 3D, and the interiors of the caves looked very good in 3D.
I enjoyed the waterfall sequence at the beginning. Effective 3D. It was far from the best 3D film but far from the worst either.
Old 06-01-2016, 12:55 AM   #482
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I enjoyed the waterfall sequence at the beginning. Effective 3D. It was far from the best 3D film but far from the worst either.
That opening on earth looked strong in 3D, I agree. That opening waterfall with the Engineer too. That's one of my favorite scenes in the movie, with this character left behind by his kind, to
[Show spoiler]perish and sacrifice his life so his DNA can blend with the parasitic tar, then be dispersed into the water supply to create new species.
Thanks given by:
Steedeel (06-06-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 05:29 AM   #483

Jul 2013

I remember watching this for the first time and liking it...till it ended suddenly with almost nothing explained.

When the credits came up, I practically jumped off my couch... like WHAT?!?!?

There's a deleted scene where Weyland talks to the Engineer, IMHO that scene *should* have been in the movie.

Weyland is so creepy and evil that his appeal to the Engineer (for me) explains alot of what happens after that...

I'd have to watch it again to comment on the 3D, because I was mostly absorbed by the movie first time around.

Last edited by Frank@Chicago; 06-01-2016 at 05:36 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #484
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
The Citadel

I agree Frank about the deleted scenes. In fact IMO ALL of the deleted scenes should be in the movie. Especially the one you mentioned and the one where Idris Elba explains about working for the military (which would explain how he figures out that the vases are some kind of weapon). I also would have preferred the mutant attack on the ship to have been the CG creature from the deleted scenes, it seemed more alien and scary.

I really think they missed a prime opportunity in the third act of Prometheus. What they should have done after the reveal of Weyland still being alive and being on the ship is have him go to the alien ship and put on one of the engineers bio suits (in an attempt to extend his life). The bio suits starts to merge with him and change him, making HIM the big bad at the end of the movie, a mutated and enhanced Weyland who is desperately trying to prolong his life. it would give his character an actual reason for showing up in the movie. As it is he does nothing, just shows up, waffles on, then gets killed.
I am your redeemer, it is by my hand that you will rise from the ashes of this world!!!

PSN ID: levcore

Best of 2016: Gods of Egypt!
Old 06-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #485

Jul 2013

I remember the intense debates when this movie came out: was it the 'greatest movie ever' or just pure junk?

I think it could have been great...but Scott crippled it in the editing.

He decided to make the Engineers mysterious, remote, and unknowable (just to provoke the viewer or because he thought that was cool and wanted hold back something for a sequel).

The main 'plot hole' that people raged over was the Engineer's drive to create life and then destroy it (at least on Earth).

But the key to that mystery is Weyland and his ilk, who had been running Earth (into the ground) for at least 200 years.

Weyland (and Earth) represent everything the Engineer's despise: godless, morally bankrupt, seeking only power and false godhood, slaves to technology, creating artificial 'things' which are a mockery of sacred true life.

If you step back and see where Earth is headed, it's clear why Weyland and Earth must die.

Then the Engineers will show up again, re-seed Earth, and start over.

Last edited by Frank@Chicago; 06-01-2016 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #486
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Different opinion : I thought the extra scenes sucked as far as being included in the movie. As extras, eh ... yes some additional (insignificant, imho) info, but nothing so exciting or revealing as to "help" the movie. In fact, if memory serves (I was kinda tired and bored by then), a couple of them worked in contrast to the "plot" as it developed and would've been problematic in that sense. In any case, longer is not always better - especially where supposedly trained, educated professionals acting like idiots is concerned.
Cop : Just let me handle the questioning, okay? I mean, itís what I do for a living. Thereís gotta be a method to it. Itís psychology. You get him
to lower his guard - one sentence at a time, build a rhythm. Itís a lot like music.
Killer : Break his ****iní legs, heíll give ya a Who concert.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available. PM Me For A List.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:39 PM   #487
Expert Member

Dec 2014
Southeast U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank@Chicago View Post
I remember the intense debates when this movie came out: was it the 'greatest movie ever' or just pure junk?

I think it could have been great...but Scott crippled it in the editing.

He decided to make the Engineers mysterious, remote, and unknowable (just to provoke the viewer or because he thought that was cool and wanted hold back something for a sequel).

The main 'plot hole' that people raged over was the Engineer's drive to create life and then destroy it (at least on Earth).

But the key to that mystery is Weyland and his ilk, who had been running Earth (into the ground) for at least 200 years.

Weyland (and Earth) represent everything the Engineer's despise: godless, morally bankrupt, seeking only power and false godhood, slaves to technology, creating artificial 'things' which are a mockery of sacred true life.

If you step back and see where Earth is headed, it's clear why Weyland and Earth must die.

Then the Engineers will show up again, re-seed Earth, and start over.
(EDIT: Maybe it's not THAT clear.) I interpreted it that the Engineers were prepping to destroy Earth because
[Show spoiler]we killed one of their own (Scott pretty much making Jesus an Engineer or a leader of theirs). That was the whole "2,000 years ago" part, and the movie took place over Christmas. It was pretty heavy handed, and probably mostly done by Lindelof

[Show spoiler]In gearing up to waste us, some of the "bioweapons" got out, and destroyed them. In fact, I think an argument could be made that they cooked up one of their worst bioweapons ever just for us.
Old 06-02-2016, 01:02 AM   #488
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

I enjoyed Prometheus for what it is. Weyland appeared in the beginning as a projection, telling them his funding allowed the expedition trip. It's not a stretch that he would show up later to reap the rewards as he did throughout the Alien Franchise as "The Weyland" corporation.

For those who don't like Prometheus, here are 15 things both Alien 1 and Prometheus have in common:

[Show spoiler]1. The Humans wake up from a deep sleep.
2. They slowly inspect the planet in drawn out sequences.
3. They discover the horseshoe shaped ship (beginning or end of film)
4. Human infected by Alien Parasites.
5. Leader refuses entry of Infected human to the human ship.
6. Androids have interest in this new parasite Alien.
7. Growth of Parasite.
8. Android Loses his head.
9. Weyland goal. Crew expendable. Study Aliens.
10. Flame thrower used.
11. Blow up alien infested ship if possible.
12. Escape pod to get away.
13. Woman Hero.
14. Put on space suit.
15. Confront Alien by end of film and escape with possible infection.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:16 AM   #489

Jul 2013

All this talk made me want to watch Prometheus 3D again.

The 3D and PQ are really off the charts here, this is pure 3D demo.

This movie also moves like a steam train, it was over in a flash and enjoyable as hell.

But there is that 'house of cards' factor because there is so much that's not explained.

There are more religious/Cross references than I remembered, but I'm not sure how to interpret that (other than as a distraction).

The Engineer who got decapitated by the stone door during the Outbreak died 'two thousand years ago', for example, but that's spoken in something like 2095.

Last edited by Frank@Chicago; 06-03-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #490
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Prometheus is a movie that I love and hate both equally. There is so much about it that annoys me that bugs me to no end yet so much in it that I absolutely love. This could have been a GREAT movie yet there is so much colossal stupidity in it in terms of writing and character behaviour.
I am your redeemer, it is by my hand that you will rise from the ashes of this world!!!

Old 06-03-2016, 02:33 PM   #491

Jul 2013

These movies have certain conventions that basically can't be denied (even by the filmmaker).

When everyone put on suits and brought up the video link to showing what each character was seeing, I had this flash of insight... "they're all dead".

So is Scott making a sequel to Prometheus or what?

In the end, I found it interesting that the character with Faith still wanted to soldier on and find more Engineers.

I would have thought that her belief in God would have led her to just see them as an intermediary, by I guess by then she was good and pissed off.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:18 AM   #492
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
All this talk made me want to watch Prometheus 3D again.

The 3D and PQ are really off the charts here, this is pure 3D demo.
When Ridley's team amps up the 3D, it looks great. While I wish it was more consistently strong during the dialog scenes, I still enjoy the filmed 3D for the most part and cannot watch this in 2D without picturing it in 3D.

-------------
While the dialog and character decisions are debatable, the plot is not as dumb as some might suggest. The ancient cave paintings throughout the centuries speak louder than Elizabeth Shaw's theory, as they are what led Weyland to fund her trip to this newly discovered planet of
[Show spoiler]Engineers as she calls them. Their goal is to create destructive life forms, as proven by the introduction of Prometheus at the waterfall. The implication is, that mankind is one of the Engineers' destructive creations, unbeknownst to the crew. Once they discover what is hiding on the planet, Shaw admits, it was all a mistake.

Ridley/Ripley. Hmm...
Old 06-06-2016, 05:56 AM   #493

Jul 2013

Before this thread goes back into hyper-sleep, I wanted to share some YouTube links to some interesting (and newer) Prometheus videos:

Prometheus: the Final Verdict
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6WIUKqPpOr8

Prometheus Sequel: How to do it
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l3rWDXSnjqM

This guy gives the film a fair shake, but isn't afraid to call out it's failings.

He also has details about the sequel, which is going into production this year apparently.

Last edited by Frank@Chicago; 06-06-2016 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:01 AM   #494
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2011
The Citadel

Quote:
These movies have certain conventions that basically can't be denied (even by the filmmaker).

When everyone put on suits and brought up the video link to showing what each character was seeing, I had this flash of insight... "they're all dead".

So is Scott making a sequel to Prometheus or what?

In the end, I found it interesting that the character with Faith still wanted to soldier on and find more Engineers.

I would have thought that her belief in God would have led her to just see them as an intermediary, by I guess by then she was good and pissed off.
Yes, Alien Covenant, currently shooting, out next year.

Old 06-06-2016, 09:24 AM   #495
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2011
England

Quote:
When Ridley's team amps up the 3D, it looks great. While I wish it was more consistently strong during the dialog scenes, I still enjoy the filmed 3D for the most part and cannot watch this in 2D without picturing it in 3D.

-------------
While the dialog and character decisions are debatable, the plot is not as dumb as some might suggest. The ancient cave paintings throughout the centuries speak louder than Elizabeth Shaw's theory, as they are what led Weyland to fund her trip to this newly discovered planet of
[Show spoiler]Engineers as she calls them. Their goal is to create destructive life forms, as proven by the introduction of Prometheus at the waterfall. The implication is, that mankind is one of the Engineers' destructive creations, unbeknownst to the crew. Once they discover what is hiding on the planet, Shaw admits, it was all a mistake.

Ridley/Ripley. Hmm...
I haven't watched it in 2D yet either. Although I'm sure it would look great.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:09 AM   #496
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
I haven't watched it in 2D yet either. Although I'm sure it would look great.
The design of the interiors, the planets, the ships, all look great, I agree. The 3D is thankfully good enough to make watching it in 3D worth it. I wish I could say the same for the mild 3D in Tron Legacy and some other 3D titles but that's another topic.
Old 06-10-2016, 12:18 AM   #497

Nov 2012
Kentwood, LA.

I really liked Prometheus. However, I think it has some of the mildest 3D ever.
Old 06-10-2016, 01:54 AM   #498

Oct 2014

Quote:
Based on discussions with the crew, and comments from the stereographer, what I've gathered is there are two Ridley Scott viewpoints on 3-D. On one hand, he has said he loves deep 3-D shots and likes more intense 3-D. But.. he also is on record as not wanting to be bothered / slowed down by 3-D during shooting or editing, and is known for wanting a well oiled machine. More aggressive 3-D often requires just a little more thought and especially with today's rapid paced editing it can cause problems if not handled properly.

So my take is certain scenes get the Ridley Scott desire of being deeper and sometimes more aggressive. But the majority of the story telling was conformed to his wanting not to bothered by the 3-D. How does one do that? Reduce the interaxial (amount of 3-D) so most editing decisions later won't be an issue. It's native 3-D, but it is also mild 3-D. Sadly one of the X-Men features and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes follows the latter part of this formula as well.
Thanks given by:
Zivouhr (06-10-2016)
Old 06-10-2016, 02:02 AM   #499
Blu-ray Champion

Dec 2011
USA
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKintz View Post
Based on discussions with the crew, and comments from the stereographer, what I've gathered is there are two Ridley Scott viewpoints on 3-D. On one hand, he has said he loves deep 3-D shots and likes more intense 3-D. But.. he also is on record as not wanting to be bothered / slowed down by 3-D during shooting or editing, and is known for wanting a well oiled machine. More aggressive 3-D often requires just a little more thought and especially with today's rapid paced editing it can cause problems if not handled properly.

So my take is certain scenes get the Ridley Scott desire of being deeper and sometimes more aggressive. But the majority of the story telling was conformed to his wanting not to bothered by the 3-D. How does one do that? Reduce the interaxial (amount of 3-D) so most editing decisions later won't be an issue. It's native 3-D, but it is also mild 3-D. Sadly one of the X-Men features and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes follows the latter part of this formula as well.
Thanks Greg. I agree.

It's easier for Ridley to push through filming on the set with a default, mild 3D camera interaxial distance for most of the dialog shots, and then take more time during the action scenes. It's not benefiting 3D audiences during the mild 3D scenes, but thankfully he increases the 3D to medium and sometimes strong 3D during the action scenes.

If he can increase things to medium 3D, and just be careful about foreground placement to avoid extreme 3D that is too far apart to blend for the eyes, things would be much more entertaining for his 3D films. I like what he offers, but agree he can take a little more time and get most shots in the strong 3D range as a reward for 3D fans.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Tags
alien, paradise, prometheus, ridley scott