Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Sale is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Now: Snow White and the Huntsman $4.00 (99% sold out)
Now: Magic Mike $3.96 (99% sold out)
Now: Rio 2 $7.96 (94% sold out)
Soon: Grimm: Season Two ()
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Killing Them Softly (Blu-ray)
$3.99
3 hrs ago
American Hustle (Blu-ray)
$6.00
15 hrs ago
12 Years a Slave (Blu-ray)
$6.96
12 hrs ago
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (Blu-ray)
$4.99
5 hrs ago
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
Good Will Hunting (Blu-ray)
$3.99
17 hrs ago
The Rover (Blu-ray)
$6.96
12 hrs ago
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$6.96
12 hrs ago
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$9.00
14 hrs ago
Escape Plan (Blu-ray)
$6.96
12 hrs ago
Super 8 (Blu-ray)
$4.99
17 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99
9 hrs ago
The Legend of Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$6.96
12 hrs ago
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$9.99
8 hrs ago
Old 12-31-2012, 11:33 PM   #1

Mar 2010
London, Ontario
Canada PCs and Carousels

Why aren't more pc's coming out with BD drives? How come they don't make any br players with carousels? They did that a lot with dvd players.

What gives?
Old 01-01-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Special Member

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRUCK View Post
Why aren't more pc's coming out with BD drives?
Number of reasons:
  • Apple retina and Intel ultra books, removing optical drives.
  • Blu-ray association DRM added to the complexity and cost to a computer or OS.
  • Digital streaming from Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu Plus, is adequate for people using laptops.
  • Size of the display that provides useful benefits, would Blu-ray playback on a 13/15/17 laptop screen be beneficial?
  • Why use Larger desktop computers with 1980 x 1080P screens (22" thru 27") as a substitute to your HDTV paired with a BD player?

Quote:
How come they don't make any br players with carousels? They did that a lot with dvd players.What gives?
Carousels are too expensive to make and service. Using Sony as a example they went the cheap route on their entire lineup of Blu-ray players, and abandoned that market.

Last edited by JohnAV; 01-01-2013 at 12:48 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

Mar 2010
London, Ontario
Canada

Ty.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #4

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Number of reasons:
  • Apple retina and Intel ultra books, removing optical drives.
  • Blu-ray association DRM added to the complexity and cost to a computer or OS.
  • Digital streaming from Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu Plus, is adequate for people using laptops.
  • Size of the display that provides useful benefits, would Blu-ray playback on a 13/15/17 laptop screen be beneficial?
  • Why use Larger desktop computers with 1980 x 1080P screens (22" thru 27") as a substitute to your HDTV paired with a BD player?

Carousels are too expensive to make and service. Using Sony as a example they went the cheap route on their entire lineup of Blu-ray players, and abandoned that market.
Good post and great points, except for the last one. Some people don't have a HDTV, so watching BD on a PC is a good alternative.
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Valab/King
Old 01-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #5
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Vinyl View Post
Good post and great points, except for the last one. Some people don't have a HDTV, so watching BD on a PC is a good alternative.
Last comment is based on the rapidly decreased pricing for inexpensive HDTV's combined with the reduced form factor of economy BD players. I seen some incredibly low pricing on what a consumer could put together over the holiday shopping period.

Last edited by JohnAV; 01-01-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:17 PM   #6

Jul 2007

Quote:
Last comment is based on the rapidly decreased pricing for inexpensive HDTV's combined with the reduced form factor of economy BD players. I seen some incredibly low pricing on what a consumer could put together over the holiday shopping period.
While true, that has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Valab/King
Old 01-01-2013, 11:46 PM   #7

Dec 2007

Quote:
Or some people have their PC's connected to a projector
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #8

Dec 2007

Quote:
Why aren't more pc's coming out with BD drives? How come they don't make any br players with carousels? They did that a lot with dvd players.

What gives?
Every PC that I have built in the past three years had a BD player in it. my major BD player is a PC.
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:16 AM   #9
Special Member

Sep 2009

Quote:
While true, that has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make.
Yes you made the point that a PC desktop w/BD player is a alternative, but the original question was "Why aren't more pc's coming out with BD drives?"

So from a PC marketplace perspective where is the incentive to put a Blu-ray build as part of a PC build? Yes you still have some PC desktops sold as complete media solutions, but they aren't as common/popular anymore. Sure you can custom add this as a option, but what percentage of consumers do this anymore?

For a consumer, who is looking at the size of the desktop monitor, is it worth the bother with incorporating a internal BD optical drive? Its not like there are much in the way of BD based games as a further justification these days, along with various online streaming options.

IMHO the expansion of BD players doing more has also hurt the attractiveness of PC desktop using internal BD drives.

Last edited by JohnAV; 01-02-2013 at 01:19 AM.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:27 AM   #10

Dec 2007

Quote:
Yes you made the point that a PC desktop w/BD player is a alternative, but the original question was "Why aren't more pc's coming out with BD drives?"

So from a PC marketplace perspective where is the incentive to put a Blu-ray build as part of a PC build? Yes you still have some PC desktops sold as complete media solutions, but they aren't as common/popular anymore. Sure you can custom add this as a option, but what percentage of consumers do this anymore?

For a consumer, who is looking at the size of the desktop monitor, is it worth the bother with incorporating a internal BD optical drive? Its not like there are much in the way of BD based games as a further justification these days, along with various online streaming options.

IMHO the expansion of BD players doing more has also hurt the attractiveness of PC desktop using internal BD drives.
I for one will always opt for something I can fix, modify, or upgrade myself

Avoided the trap of buying a new BD player every year or so by just using a PC - still using the same drive I bought in 2007!!!!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #11

Dec 2012

I apologize for inappropriately cutting into this post, I'm a new member and for some unknown reason to me I'm unable to initiate a new post but yet I'm able to reply to exisiting posts???? ------------- anyway I need some help on this unrelated issue and would appreciate your expert technical opinion on this:

I have an older HD TV and receiver which both only have Component Video connections for HD which is 1080I for the TV.

I would love to replace my DVD with a Blue Ray player to at least enjoy 1080I HD picture quality when using blue ray disks and have found out that apparently all Blue Ray's manufactured after Jan. 2011 no longer include Component Video Connections and only have the HDMI for HD and or RCA (red, white & yellow) for a analog connection.

If I can find a older Blue Ray player made before 2011 would this work giving me a 1080I HD picture when using a blue ray disc ----------- and is this my only option until I get a new HD TV with HDMI?

Thank you!
Ralph (please e-mail me @ rabvet1966@comcast.net)
Old 01-02-2013, 12:17 PM   #12

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabvet View Post
I apologize for inappropriately cutting into this post, I'm a new member and for some unknown reason to me I'm unable to initiate a new post but yet I'm able to reply to exisiting posts???? ------------- anyway I need some help on this unrelated issue and would appreciate your expert technical opinion on this:

I have an older HD TV and receiver which both only have Component Video connections for HD which is 1080I for the TV.

I would love to replace my DVD with a Blue Ray player to at least enjoy 1080I HD picture quality when using blue ray disks and have found out that apparently all Blue Ray's manufactured after Jan. 2011 no longer include Component Video Connections and only have the HDMI for HD and or RCA (red, white & yellow) for a analog connection.

If I can find a older Blue Ray player made before 2011 would this work giving me a 1080I HD picture when using a blue ray disc ----------- and is this my only option until I get a new HD TV with HDMI?

Thank you!
Ralph (please e-mail me @ rabvet1966@comcast.net)
I would think it does, but I'm not an expert in that area. I'm sure someone will come along to answer that question for you shortly with 100% certainty.

You'll need a few more posts before you can start your own thread. It's a spam-preventative measure we have in place.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:31 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

@Rabvet here is a partial list of blu ray players that include component out. If you give us a budget/ brand preference we can help sort you out with links for current sales. HTH

http://reviews.cnet.com/blu-ray-play...4468653-2.html
Front Sound Stage: Clearwave Dynamics LCR Surround Sound: 4*AV 123 X-LS Encore, LFE: 2*JBL W15GTI Subwoofers,
Primary Display: Sharp LC-70C6400U Secondary Display: Mitsubishi HC6800
Power Protection:
APC AV S20BLK AVP: ??????????????
AMP: Sherbourn PA 7-350
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders