Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Charade (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
Spider-Man / Spider-Man 2 / Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
I, Robot 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Say
$29.99
The Assassins (Blu-ray)
$6.98

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-28-2014, 06:09 PM   #4141
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
Speaking of evidence, where's the proof that Fright Night sold poorly on DVD? I think Sony started licensing titles out like crazy because they weren't selling on blu-ray--not because of poor selling DVDs.
This.

There are absolutely some titles that sold on DVD worse than others... and some on Blu that have sold worse too... but other movie companies are releasing catalog titles on a fairly regular basis... so what do they "know" that Sony doesn't?
Prying off your face takes practice.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #4142
Expert Member

Feb 2011
Connecticut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddyhorse View Post
This. While FN did get a re-issue, the re-issue was one of very few that kept the widescreen side and dropped the full screen. 98% of them dropped widescreen.
What possible reasoning do they have? Most people have widescreen displays now.
They Live. We Sleep.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #4143

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestonXI View Post
What possible reasoning do they have? Most people have widescreen displays now.
They did this about 10 years ago, when widescreen tv's weren't as prevalent. There were actually quite a few that kept the widescreen side, but a bigger number kept the full-screen side instead. I remember scanning down the entire list back then and there was no rhyme or reason why some kept the widescreen and some didn't. The original flipper discs of titles like SCREAMERS, HARD TIMES, SHEENA, MARY SHELLEY'S FRANKENSTEIN, and others became instant collector's items because the reissues dropped the widescreen (sometimes scope!) side.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:50 PM   #4144

Oct 2012
Auburndale Fl

Well I tried to get my online proof even before I posted although all I get online is the 1999 release and nothing about the reissues. Well anyways, I always see the dvd's say fullscreen and not widescreen which is why I always put them back. When Halloween comes around I will look on the shelves and take a picture if it says fullscreen only.

I look at so many things so maybe it's just my memory being wrong.
Body by Plymouth, Soul by Satan.
Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 AM   #4145
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
Speaking of evidence, where's the proof that Fright Night sold poorly on DVD? I think Sony started licensing titles out like crazy because they weren't selling on blu-ray--not because of poor selling DVDs.
Well, most DVD's that sell really well don't end up in bargain bins shortly after release, and stay there. Sony is picky about what catalog titles they release themselves, and which they license out. It only stands to reason that those with the best sales records on previous formats will be selected to stay with Sony, while those with lesser sales figures will be licensed. If Fright Night was as popular a film on home video as people make it out to be, Sony would have released it themselves. Instead, they considered it not worth the effort, beyond creating a new master (which they're essentially doing for their entire catalog, for archival purposes).

If we're gonna play the "proof" game, let's go back to the poster who said Fright Night was such a "popular release" in the first place, and have them dig up the sales figures. All I've done is point out that it wasn't popular enough, in the opinions of the folks at Sony, for them to bother releasing it under their own banner in unlimited quantities.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #4146
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion138 View Post
Well, most DVD's that sell really well don't end up in bargain bins shortly after release, and stay there. Sony is picky about what catalog titles they release themselves, and which they license out. It only stands to reason that those with the best sales records on previous formats will be selected to stay with Sony, while those with lesser sales figures will be licensed. If Fright Night was as popular a film on home video as people make it out to be, Sony would have released it themselves. Instead, they considered it not worth the effort, beyond creating a new master (which they're essentially doing for their entire catalog, for archival purposes).

If we're gonna play the "proof" game, let's go back to the poster who said Fright Night was such a "popular release" in the first place, and have them dig up the sales figures. All I've done is point out that it wasn't popular enough, in the opinions of the folks at Sony, for them to bother releasing it under their own banner in unlimited quantities.
Yeah, but Sony USA did the same thing with As Good as It Gets, Sleepless in Seattle, Christine, Oliver!, etc. You're saying all of those titles sold poorly as well? Like I already mentioned, I don't think it was poor DVD sales that pushed Sony to Twilight Time, Image, Mill Creek--it was poor selling catalog titles on BD.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:43 PM   #4147
Expert Member

Jan 2008
New York City
Default I wonder....

What would happen is I sold my copy on amazon for $20... Would people jump at the chance to get it for less than $499!!!
WTH?

That price is scaring Gizmo... Look at his face!!

Last edited by kong73; 03-01-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:04 PM   #4148
Power Member

Dec 2009
Texas, at the bottom of a well 21,000 ft down

Quote:
Sony is picky about what catalog titles they release themselves, and which they license out. It only stands to reason that those with the best sales records on previous formats will be selected to stay with Sony, while those with lesser sales figures will be licensed.
A reasonable sounding hypothesis. But then there is that Ishtar thing......
"I had no idea those beer cans would blow like that" - Del Griffith
"You left them on a vibrating bed. What did you think would happen?" - Neal Page

Last edited by oildude; 03-01-2014 at 05:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:23 PM   #4149
Special Member

Sep 2008
The £ßÇ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong73 View Post
What would happen is I sold my copy on amazon for $20... Would people jump at the chance to get it for less than $499!!!
WTH?

I'll post a picture of my magnet for $20.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #4150
Expert Member

Dec 2008
Madison, WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong73 View Post
WTH?

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...postcount=3875
Old 03-01-2014, 08:10 PM   #4151

Jan 2012
the 276 of Virginia, USA

what is the magnet alone fetching?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:16 PM   #4152
Expert Member

Jun 2010

Does anybody know what the HDX transfer is like on Vudu? That seems like a fair alternative since the bluray is going for 500 dollars.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:09 AM   #4153
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Port Moody, BC

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoxturbo View Post
Does anybody know what the HDX transfer is like on Vudu? That seems like a fair alternative since the bluray is going for 500 dollars.
Just a FYI, it just arrived on Netflix.com, in Netflix SuperHD!!!

Not as good as blu, but better than spending a small fortune for the TT edition, IMO of course.

Funny, from the preview menu it says 5.1 sound, but playing the movie it only is in Stereo...
Old 03-02-2014, 05:07 AM   #4154
Blu-ray Baron

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain View Post

Not as good as blu, but better than spending a small fortune for the TT edition, IMO of course.

Funny, from the preview menu it says 5.1 sound, but playing the movie it only is in Stereo...
Nice, thanks for the heads-up!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:11 AM   #4155

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDownAgain View Post

I'll definitely watch it this way. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:14 AM   #4156
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
The DVD sold poorly enough to make Sony believe it wasn't worth releasing themselves. It's been a staple of bargain bins for years. It wasn't a popular release on DVD, so why should anyone be shocked to see it licensed out?
Sony started licensing out their catalog left and right on Blu-ray because there was a bloodbath in their home video department when DVD sales tanked. There was literally no one left to coordinate releases and do the necessary prep work. The corporation went through a huge amount of re-organization after the PS3 stumbled out of the gate. Sony had won the format war when Toshiba threw in the towel and decided enough was enough, they didn't need to continue supporting catalog product on Blu-ray.

Everyone got fired and so they had a skeleton staff handling Blu-ray releases. Sony decided in this case to license most of their catalog out to other companies.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #4157

Feb 2014

Too bad that the original Fright Night Blu was limited - I hope it is re-released in this format at some point. This is definitely one of my favorite '80's horror/comedy?! films. Great story, and an incredible ending.

The 2011 re-make didn't even come close to the original....
Old 03-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #4158
Special Member

Mar 2009
Ohio USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamorphicWidescreen View Post
Too bad that the original Fright Night Blu was limited - I hope it is re-released in this format at some point. This is definitely one of my favorite '80's horror/comedy?! films. Great story, and an incredible ending.

The 2011 re-make didn't even come close to the original....

And who would've thought that Amanda Bearse could be sexy?
LG SuperBlu BH200

SteelBooks™: 131
Old 03-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #4159
Power Member

Jan 2013
UK, south

I bet Arrow will get this. Wouldn't mind this on blu. I quite like it. It's a shame a bunch of dodgy gits brought multiple copies just so they could sell it to make a couple of hundred quid. Same with Christine. If I had a copy i'd never sell it.
Old 03-05-2014, 04:06 PM   #4160
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by theprestige85 View Post
I bet Arrow will get this. Wouldn't mind this on blu. I quite like it. It's a shame a bunch of dodgy gits brought multiple copies just so they could sell it to make a couple of hundred quid. Same with Christine. If I had a copy i'd never sell it.
As stated several times in this thread, Sony UK does not license their titles.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America