Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

Deadpool 2 (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Ghost World (Blu-ray)
$17.87
10 hrs ago
The Incredibles 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.96
16 hrs ago
The 'Burbs (Blu-ray)
$14.12
18 hrs ago
Odds Against Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Changeling (Blu-ray)
$27.93

Paul, Apostle of Christ (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What Have They Done to Your Daughters? (Blu-ray)
$25.19

Mr. Destiny (Blu-ray)
$12.89

Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music

Old 08-08-2007, 09:54 PM   #61
Sound Insider/M.P.S.E.

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Pallas View Post
okay, i think i understand where i'm getting lost now, yeah, i was talking about sample rate. but i still have to question how many recording masters can actually take advantage of the frequency range available in DSD of the potential blu-ray audio format.
You would be surprised. Most classical and jazz music can take advantage, especially music that features massed brass, massed strings, triangles, glocks, and muted brass. All of these instruments have harmonics that extend beyond 20khz. The problem with current recordings is they have been recorded with microphones with a limited response above 20khz. Also prefiltering is occasionally used to prevent aliasing before any post processes are done.

Quote:
furthermore, from my understanding BR discs are using audio formats from companies such as Dobly, so does creating another format really make sense? and wouldnt there be compatibility issues with players already in circulation?

i must admit i am a bit lost.
Aside from the earliest samsung players (and maybe a few more) most bluray players appear to be upgradeable to Dolby TrueHD. Blu-ray has the option of not using any audio codec other than PCM, so I think this is a non issue. On a music only disc you could use 24/96khz PCM in 5.1 and do just fine.
Customized Toshiba 65H84 RPTV 9" tubes
Sony PS3
Toshiba HD-A35
Grass Valley Pro HD A/V switcher/router
Onkyo PR-SC885P Pre-Pro
3 M-EQ 2300 equalizers
1 Berhinger feedback destroyer
1 Onkyo M-508 power amp (sub)
3 Onkyo M-504 power amp
1 Onkyo M-282 power amp
1 Circlesurround CS-3X jr
2 custom 4 way horn hybrid monitors
1 custom 2.5 way horn hybrid center speaker
4 custom 2 way horn hybrid bipolar surrounds
2 Large custom servo 15" sealed subs
1 Sony touch remote control
Old 08-09-2007, 12:27 AM   #62

Nov 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
Which is why I really like this new article on Audioholics

http://www.audioholics.com/news/edit...s-made-me-dumb

It is entitled "MP3's made me dumb"

haha good article

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobyblue View Post
The maximum is 27.648 Mbps (5.1 24/192)
That's what I thought because I calculated that too, but then I thought that they still only allowed for 24Mbps (which still allows for TrueHD or DTS-HD MA). I suppose it should pertain to the uncompressed PCM rate.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:04 PM   #63

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchglen View Post
...I think they should call it something like Blu-CD. It needs to have CD in it, so people instantly know what it's meant to be. People will associate the "Blu" with high definition so they conclude it must be a high resolution CD that you listen to.
No, I don't think CD means to people that it contains audio. Instead CD means that it can be played on a CD player. A Blu-ray Disc never could.

SACD actually delivers on that promise (Hybrid SACD at least, which is probably over 90% of all titles and near 100% of anything that's come out recently).
Old 10-18-2007, 07:25 PM   #64

Aug 2007
La Jolla

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seventh Taylor View Post
No, I don't think CD means to people that it contains audio. Instead CD means that it can be played on a CD player. A Blu-ray Disc never could.

SACD actually delivers on that promise (Hybrid SACD at least, which is probably over 90% of all titles and near 100% of anything that's come out recently).
how about calling it a Blu-ray Audio Disc? no, that would be BAD.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #65
Special Member

Jun 2007
Tucumcari
Send a message via MSN to Manco

Uhhh...hello....

Profile 3.0 is Blu-ray audio. Once again, unlike HD-DVD this has already been incorporated into the spec.
Only two kinds of people... Those that watch Blu-ray and those that don't know what they're missing. :D
Blu-ray: 35 | HD-DVD: DOA | I Do BLU!
Old 10-18-2007, 07:49 PM   #66

Sep 2007

Blu-ray already supports up to 8 channel/96Khz or 6 channel/192 Khz. I'm not sure you can get much better audio in a consumer format. On top of that you can get high def video to go with that music (a number of 5.1 24/96 videos are already out there).

I won't be at all surprised if Profile 3 never sees the light of day. Or let's just say I will be pleasantly surprised if it does happen. My wish list for such a product would include the following (all with 2, 6, and/or 8 channel support):

2.8 Mbs DSD/SACD playback (backwards compatibility with current SACDs)
5.6 Mbs DSD (call it SACD2, this should eliminate most of the issues with high frequency noise PCM purists seem to complain about)
24/96 PCM and/or MLP (backwards compatibility with DVD-A)
(Note: I still have dreams about getting Reference Recordings to play the hi-rez game and start releasing their 24/96 masters to the public)
24/192 PCM and/or MLP)
24/382 PCM or higher resolution ?
hi-def video support would be nice too but I guess that would be pushing it. they'd probably have to go to new storage/bandwidth limits

I have an extensive SACD library (+ trivial DVD-A) which I would like continuing support for.
Officially: Format neutral w/ dual format player
Unofficially: Blu-ray fan
Blu-Ray - 92+PE
HD-DVD - 11
Old 10-18-2007, 08:41 PM   #67
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2007
Indianapolis

And what is hd-dvd's audio format called again? I forgot. It's uh, uh, uh...wait. There IS NO hd-dvd audio format.
imperio absenti chaos regit

bonitas non est pessimis esse meliorem

si post fata venit gloria non propero
Old 10-18-2007, 09:10 PM   #68
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Hatfield, UK / Jakarta, Indonesia

i'll stick with the device called compact disc, thank you. no thanks to sacd and blu-cd and dvd-a
Walt Disney's Fan
Laptop/Main Blu-ray Disc Player:
Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz| 12GB RAM | 4TB HDD | nVidia GeForce 465GTX | 1920x1080 (32 inch and 27 inch 3D) | 5.1 Logitech Z5500 and 2.0 Logitech R5 Speakers
LG Blu-ray/HD DVD Drive | LG Blu-ray Writer BH10 | Samsung Blu-ray Drive
Old 10-18-2007, 09:28 PM   #69

Dec 2006
Chicago NW burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyson View Post
how about calling it a Blu-ray Audio Disc? no, that would be BAD.
umm, BAD wouldn't sound as sexy as BRA (Blu-ray Audio)
Just imagine a conversation where one guy asks another: How many Britney's BRAs do you have? ....
Old 10-18-2007, 09:47 PM   #70

Sep 2007

Profile 3.0, the so-called Blu-Ray Audio standard, is just to offer a "display free" capable environment. In other words, operation without video screen interaction for an audio only playback device: more like a plain CD player. There is currently no market to sell a device like this.

Multi-channel and high-resolution music only content has an uphill battle. Yes, you will see niche music only titles from various vendors on both BD and HD DVD, but don't expect it to go mainstream.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:51 PM   #71

Jun 2007

depending on what kinda music u listen to, but mostly for listening room, the best set up is 2 channel Sterero, so there is no need for 6.1 or 7.1, just a simple two speakers set up which can cost somewhere from 30,000 to 120,000 (top of line listening room set up) for example Lynn or Mark Levinson.

I have the whole set up from Mark Levinson beats any BluRay out there.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:52 PM   #72

Dec 2006
Chicago NW burbs

Which means we will probably see some portable Blu-ray Walkman audio players soon.
Old 10-18-2007, 09:53 PM   #73

Sep 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by TauRus View Post
Which means we will probably see some portable Blu-ray Walkman audio players soon.
That's a joke, right? Sorry, spinning media on large portable devices is dead.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:05 PM   #74

Dec 2006
Chicago NW burbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbox View Post
Yes, I agree, and yes, I was kidding. I would not consider such a Walkman either. Surprisingly however I saw quite a few requests online for such a device.
Seriously speaking I think the main application for Profile 3 players would be automotive and high-end audio markets.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:30 AM   #75

Aug 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbox View Post
So spin your BRAs at home, then, I guess.

BB
Old 10-19-2007, 02:33 AM   #76

Nov 2006

Ok, so my old thread has been resurrected...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manco View Post
Uhhh...hello....

Profile 3.0 is Blu-ray audio. Once again, unlike HD-DVD this has already been incorporated into the spec.
Yeah well, for people like me who love to have high quality music surrounding them, to enjoy and relax at home to, I would love a Blu-CD "format" to be promoted and become a successor to CD...and have all my favourite music in high-res surround. That would be awesome. All Sony/BDA has to do is market this "format" as a high-res Blu-ray CD and everyone knows what it is and does. No confusion, and it's the right time to promote it (well, better than 1999, when lossy surround was only just starting to be known by the public) - with the high-res DVD experience is fresh to the public's appetite, the high-res CD market should have another go, this time in a shinier package of something recognisable - BLU.

Course, the problem is, CD is slowly dying anyway. Hey, I hate Cds myself - I'v ripped them all my media libary, the only music discs I have are my DVD-As/SACDs.
The medium is increasingly computer and MP3 player/phone. But what about the people who want to have the surround experience...and sounds that are actually listenable? It seems the activity of listening to music has been reduced to when one is on the move (iPod), doing something else like working, or otherwise not really caring about music. Seems like a lost activity, sitting down in one's home, and listening to music.

anyway...The fact that Sony has dropped SACD support from 40GB PS3 may indicate that they will want to do something with this profile 3.0. After all, we know what Sony are like with pushing new formats for dominance, don't we?
Maybe Sony are planning to start afresh (scrapping SACD), if they think the market is right. It makes sense for a company not to try and rehash an old, and let's face it, unsuccessful format (in its atempt to have mainstream success). It's at least great to have this spec 3.0 there just in case. Blu-ray would have to have a few years of world success first, people would have to seriously like and value this new lossless audio experience, and then want to consume new CDs in that same high resolution sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar_in_fw View Post
I won't be at all surprised if Profile 3 never sees the light of day.
Yep. Me too.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:35 AM   #77

Sep 2007

The PS3 will never be "Profile 3.0" simply because PS3 is a video based device... as mentioned earlier, 3.0 is for an audio only device with no video display.

So, a statement like "unlike HD-DVD this has already been incorporated into the spec" is a bit off: Profile 3.0 has no different audio capabilities over a normal BD disc... it's more about the device.

Last edited by sonicbox; 10-19-2007 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:09 PM   #78
Power Member

Aug 2007
Canada
Default Why I'm bumping this thread

Discussion may have been premature when the format war was raging. However I hope interested members will now have occasion to revisit this and similar threads about lobbying for music on Blu.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:05 PM   #79

Nov 2006

I told you so!
Old 11-05-2008, 06:31 PM   #80
Special Member

Jul 2008
So Cal

I had never heard of SACD, but I was pondering when they were going to come out with audio CD's with the audio quality of Blu-rays. Is that what this thread is about Is such an audio cd already out there??
Sony 52XBR4
Sony PS4
Pioneer Elite VSX-44
Polk Audio Monitor 70 S-2
Polk Audio CS2
Axiom QS-8 Surrounds
APC H15//Blue Lynk Remote
ED A2-300 Sub
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Music / Audiophiles > Blu-ray Music and High Quality Music