Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Sandlot (Blu-ray)
$7.21
Black Hawk Down (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Inception 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dark Crystal (Blu-ray)
$14.12
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.49
Lords of Dogtown (Blu-ray)
$8.11
Hammer Films Double Feature: Never Take Candy from a Stranger/Scream of Fear (Blu-ray)
$8.11
Justice League (Blu-ray)
$24.99
This Is the End (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Bourne Ultimate Collection (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Hammer Films Double Feature: Maniac/Die! Die! My Darling! (Blu-ray)
$8.11
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 09-18-2006, 10:13 AM   #1

Sep 2006
Default Blu-ray and SACD

Is there official announcement from any manufacturer that their Blu-ray player will be able to play SACD too?

If there is no universal player, there may be various flavours like Blu-ray and DVD-A, then second one may be Blu-ray with SACD and so on. Or even worst, you need 4 ultimate players to play all of them.

Any person can shed any light on the video and audio format compatibility?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:59 AM   #2
Blu-ray Baron

Sep 2006

Sony PlayStation 3

Philips BD player
Old 09-18-2006, 08:12 PM   #3
Special Member

Jun 2006
Los Angeles,CA

My guess is that the players moving forward for blu-ray will likely play most dvd-a discs and sacd. the first gen probably won't play sacd but most likely since they support MLP and thats what most DVD-a's are encoded with they will support dvd-a.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:16 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2003
California

SACD support (and DVD-A for that matter) would be great to see.

How would we get 6 channel audio out of the PS3 (aside from HDMI 1.3)? Anyone know if there is 6 chan analogue out?
---
Content is the key. See the stats
Old 09-18-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Special Member

Jun 2006
Los Angeles,CA

I think the only option is the HDMI 1.3
Old 09-21-2006, 01:21 AM   #6

Sep 2006
Spain
Exclamation Universal BD Players

Hi everyone!

I will only replace my universal DVD player with a SACD/DVDA compatible BD player.

Cheers!
Old 09-21-2006, 02:15 AM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2006

Do super audio cd's contain 2 channel tracks as well that are high res? Wouldn't that work with the PS2 AV out? or would it work but be degrade even though the av out is analog?
Old 09-21-2006, 04:41 AM   #8

Sep 2006
Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey View Post
Do super audio cd's contain 2 channel tracks as well that are high res?
Yes, they do.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:38 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

May 2004
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvda-sacd View Post
Hi everyone!

I will only replace my universal DVD player with a SACD/DVDA compatible BD player.

Cheers!
Hey I'm not registered at audioholics but I'd like to note my vote for best audio format would be SACD. It's a shame that so few were made other than classical music releases which are of no interest to me. Would be nice if all BD players had SACD playback, at least the Sony and their PS3 since it's all their product.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #10

Sep 2006
Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post
Hey I'm not registered at audioholics but I'd like to note my vote for best audio format would be SACD.
You don't need to be a registered member to vote.

Cheers!
Old 09-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #11
Power Member

Sep 2006

Quote:
Do super audio cd's contain 2 channel tracks as well that are high res? Wouldn't that work with the PS2 AV out?
They do. AFAIK, there is only one label in Europe, which is actually a Deutsche Grammofone reissue label (can't recall the exact name at the moment) which puts out surround SACDs (all reprocessed, AFAIK) without a stereo mix on them, which is completely out of spec.

Quote:
or would it work but be degrade even though the av out is analog?
The only degradation going on would be by the most likely low quality analogue stage on the PS3.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #12
Power Member

Sep 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg View Post
Hey I'm not registered at audioholics but I'd like to note my vote for best audio format would be SACD.
I couldn't agree more ardently.

Quote:
It's a shame that so few were made...
There are still a few titles trickling out, mainly European. The Depeche Mode reissues are a fine example. The first three were excellent and the second batch of three titles is set to release in mid-October.

Quote:
...other than classical music releases which are of no interest to me.
That's a shame. I love Classical music. There are too many Classical SACD titles for me to keep up with. I've purchased 10 in the past month alone. Even so, I really wish there were more Pop/Rock titles still coming out. At least we get the occasional crumb from labels like MFSL.

Quote:
Would be nice if all BD players had SACD playback, at least the Sony and their PS3 since it's all their product.
I am still having a hard time figuring out why Sony didn't add DSD and SACD playback to the specification for BD. Anyway, I'm not really looking for a BD player to replace my SACD (Sony XA9000ES) and DVD-A (Denon DVD-2200 universal) players. Any BD player would act simply as a BD/DVD player, and if there are ever any high-res BD audio releases, it'll be used for that as well. This last point is a big reason why I am really hoping these new players will decode DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD and pass them through the analogue outs. If an audiophile label were to put out a BD audio disc, they could just do straight 192/24 PCM stereo/surround I suppose, which would be fine, but what if they decide to do lossless instead?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #13

Jun 2006
Ocala, FL
Default SACD may fade off into the sunset

Take this for what it's worth. I believe that Sony's will be phasing out SACD, at least for the Blu-Ray Players, because the 'uncompressed 32 bit' Audio tracks are far superior to the 24 bit SACD's. That makes sense to me as long as availability of the music follows. Sony plans on releasing several Blu-Ray CD's (Music Only) early next year as well as some Concerts on Blu-Ray DVD. If this is true, we will enjoy an almost 'live' experience. I look forward to it.

I hope everyone here is aware that the first generation 'Sony" Blu-Ray Player does not, and I repeat . . Does Not play CD's or SACD's, only Blu-Ray DVD's and DVD's. It is strictly a DVD Player, not a CD Player.

When I asked Sony if the next unit will support SACD, they stated 'why?' with MLS uncompressed 32 Audio, who wants to settle for SACD ! The next Player will playback CD's through 192/24 bit DAC's, 2 Channel. This is what they said, now let's see what they will actually do !!!

Jim

Last edited by JimPullan; 09-21-2006 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Add additional information
Old 09-21-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
Expert Member

Apr 2006
The Piedmont, NC

FWIW When I was in Las Vegas this summer and saw the Blu-ray demo at the SonyStyle store, I posed the "fate of SACD" question to a store employee. This guy was very knowledgeable about Blu-ray and other technologies. He said that though there was no official announcement, he felt that Blu-ray audio was going to supplant SACD.

It's really too bad that I'll have to keep my current DVD/SACD player to continue to play my collection of SACDs. But if Blu-ray audio only discs are as good as or better than SACDs I won't be too disappointed.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:30 PM   #15

Jun 2006
Ocala, FL

Quote:
Do super audio cd's contain 2 channel tracks as well that are high res? Wouldn't that work with the PS2 AV out? or would it work but be degrade even though the av out is analog?
The current state of SACD's fall into a few catagories you need to be aware of, and they are:

2 Channel and Multi-Channel (5.1) Direct Stream Digital (DSD) SACD Only, with NO Hybrid 2 channel tracks. Plays only SACD on an SACD Player!

2 Channel SACD WITH 2 Channel Hybrid analog tracks (so it will play on any CD Player).

Multi-Channel (5.1) SACD with 2 Channel Hybrid analog tracks (again, playable on any CD Player).

and finally, Multi-Channel SACD (5.1) with 2 Channel SACD. Played only on a SACD Player.

I hope this makes some sense to you. The keyword if you want to play on 'any' CD Player is: Hybrid .

Now, I look forward to evolving to uncompressed Audio

Jim
Old 09-21-2006, 02:36 PM   #16

Sep 2006
Spain
Post Blu-Ray Disc and Super Audio CD Support

Have you read these articles?

HE 2006: Sony Prepares for Blu-Ray Disc Format Launch -> http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=19009834

"Another interesting question that the Blu-Ray launch raises is whether Sony thinks that Super Audio CD (SA-CD) and Direct Stream Digital (DSD) have a future. At the show, Sony officials noted that the audio output on their new STR DG-1000 receiver is actually marked not "CD" but rather "SA-CD/CD" as one clue to their thinking along with their recent enhancement to the SACD mastering format. I also heard once again that the Super Audio CD playback feature as well as Blu-Ray Disc playback both continue to be part of the feature package for the upcoming Sony Playstation 3 product due out this November. And I was told that SACD playback was coming to a future edition of the Blu-Ray hardware platform. So this will be an interesting area to watch."

Super Audio CD Software Production Moves Into Network Age -> http://www.sa-cd.net/shownews/41

"A particular focus for Sony this year is the scheduled launch of PlayStation 3 in November, which will feature Super Audio -CD playback. Currently, more than 13 million Super Audio CD compatible players are in circulation worldwide and this figure will grow exponentially once the first Super Audio CD compatible PlayStation systems become available."

Last edited by dvda-sacd; 09-21-2006 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:08 PM   #17

Sep 2006
Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim L View Post
But if Blu-ray audio only discs are as good as or better than SACDs I won't be too disappointed.
I hope DSD 128 fs (5.6448 Mhz) is used in BD audio discs someday.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:41 PM   #18
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

My vote goes also to SACD. I have like near a 100 (mostly all the pop/rock titles I wanted, some out of print) and now I've started to dabble into the near 3000 classical/jazz titles, which are more readily available. At least there have been a few pop/rock releases this year (Byrds, Depeche Mode, Moody Blues, Little Richard) maybe there'll be a few more when the PS3 is established.

GoldenRedux said:
Quote:
If an audiophile label were to put out a BD audio disc, they could just do straight 192/24 PCM stereo/surround I suppose, which would be fine, but what if they decide to do lossless instead?
Isn't 192/24 PCM lossless?

dvda-sacd: With a 50GB audio only BDCD 128x DSD could very well be one of the options. There is enough space to include a few flavors of stuff, DD, DTS, MLP, DSD in a 50GB audio only disc! It has almost 6 times the space of a SACD or a DVD-A
Old 09-21-2006, 04:48 PM   #19

Sep 2006
Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciazulado View Post
Isn't 192/24 PCM lossless?
Yes, it is. Lossless packaging codecs do not give any audio improvement over high resolution LPCM.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:53 PM   #20

Sep 2006
Spain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciazulado View Post
My vote goes also to SACD.
You can also vote on this poll:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=2669

Thanks!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders