Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99
The Color of Pomegranates (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Woody Allen: Seven Films 1986-1991 (Blu-ray)
£28.99
Stanley Kubrick: Visionary Filmmaker Collection (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Doctor Who: Series 1 (Blu-ray)
£15.00
Justified: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£25.91
The Blue Planet: The Collection (Blu-ray)
£24.99
Planet Earth II (Blu-ray)
£9.83
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story 3D (Blu-ray)
£10.49
Godard: The Essential Collection (Blu-ray)
£20.00
The Hobbit: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
£10.49
The Ultimate Vacation Collection (Blu-ray)
£6.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 06-20-2013, 11:44 PM   #1
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-
United Kingdom I'm So Excited! (Pedro Almodovar)

I'm So Excited! Blu-ray

NEWS/TRAILER
http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=11473

Quote:
20th Century Fox UK and Pathé Productions Limited will bring to Blu-ray acclaimed Spanish director Pedro Almodóvar's Los amantes pasajeros a.k.a I'm So Excited! (2013), starring Javier Cámara, Pepa Charro, Lola Dueñas, Antonio Banderas, Penélope Cruz, and Hugo Silva. The release will be available for purchase online and in shops across the United Kingdom on August 26th.

Pedro Almodóvar's flashily camp, over-the-top sex comedy follows the antics of a group of airline passengers who decide to cast decorum to the wind when they realise their jet is in trouble. After discovering a fault in the aircraft's landing gear shortly after take-off, a Peninsula Airways jet bound for Mexico City is held in a holding pattern above Madrid. As the authorities on the ground try to solve the problem, the remaining business class passengers - those in economy class having been drugged unconscious by the crew - try to calm their nerves by embarking on a frenzied and debauched course of pill-popping, mescaline cocktails and gratuitous sex, aided by three ostentatiously gay flight attendants (Javier Cámara, Carlos Areces and Raul Arevalo).

Special Features:

Making of Featurette
Creation of Airplane Crash Site
Making of VFX
Original UK Theatrical Trailer
Original UK Theatrical Teaser Trailer
Spot 10
Spot 25
Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 06-21-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 01:00 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Talk about a very gay-designed poster and cover. Very fitting! I like it better than the other theatrical poster design.

It's been a while since there's been an Almodovar comedy. But the low, mixed reactions are not promising. Anyone seen this yet?
Old 06-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicsounds View Post
Talk about a very gay-designed poster and cover. Very fitting! I like it better than the other theatrical poster design.

It's been a while since there's been an Almodovar comedy. But the low, mixed reactions are not promising. Anyone seen this yet?
I have, I've only seen 2 other Almodovar films, Skin I Live In and Talk To Her and they are infinitely better than this self indulgent rubbish.

There's only two scene of worth here and very little else, the films tone is very uneven, considering it goes into a subplot revolving around a suicidal ex-girlfriend very early on that leaves you expecting laughs, but you soon realise the plot thread is supposed to be taken seriously although it's absolutely ludicrous what happens.

Not one of the worst films I've seen this year, but there was a general feeling of "is that it?" from the audience by the way they sat in their chairs for a while after the film concluded.
"Film lovers are sick people." - François Truffaut
[FADE TO BLACK]
Old 06-23-2013, 02:27 PM   #4

Jan 2012

I saw it at the cinema with the Director Q+A. I don't think it's a case of the comedy being lost in translation, it just all round isn't very funny. Similar to Foggy, the mood in the cinema after was weird in quite how strong the air of disappointment was all round.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011
Old Hill, West Midlands
Send a message via AIM to mattyl149

How come this has been listed on Amazon at £24.99? I know prices come down and it will probably be around £13.99, but for this kind of releases, it's a high price, and could put a lot of people off
Old 06-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #6
Special Member

Nov 2011

Well, I adored this, personally. It was very reminiscent of Almodóvar’s earlier body of work, loose and fun, but it’s a film that is attuned to a specific sense of humour, so I can understand a lot not being fans of it. It was one of those rare films for me that creates such a wonderful atmosphere in the cinema, everyone was laughing at the same places, feeling very in tune. It was a riotously funny experience, more akin to being in a theatre than a cinema. I rarely like full out comedies anymore, I find so few can master the art of pacing, but this managed it so effortlessly. Can't wait for the Blu-ray.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:11 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2011
Stockholm, but Sussex when back in UK
-
-

Agree with comments above is very uneven. Is one of those films which seems much funnier in the trailer with a couple of minutes excerpts rather than when you actually have to sit through it at the cinema.
Old 06-30-2013, 01:48 AM   #8
Special Member

Feb 2012

I pre ordered.

Comments here sound like the normal range of comments that accompany any new Almodovar release (hasn't had a theatrical release here yet).
Old 08-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #9

Apr 2008
New York, New York

Hi, Since it's been released. Does anyone know if this release is region free or not?
Thanks in advance
"All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
Old 08-29-2013, 08:38 AM   #10

May 2011
United Kingdom

^ It's locked. I tried playing it with our player switched to region A and got an 'only compatible with region B players' message.

I really enjoyed I'm So Excited. I can't speak for the rest of the world but it made me laugh. I love Almodovar films. The only one I didn't like was Live Flesh.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Expert Member

Sep 2012

I was really disappointed. I love Almodovar's work but I thought this was a huge misfire. The latest Empire calls is a "black stain" on an otherwise brilliant career. I'm afraid I have to agree.
ISF calibrated Panasonic 65VT50 TV, Oppo BD95 Zone-Free Blu-ray, Onkyo TR-818 AV receiver, B&W 5 speakers, BL XXLS400-DF subwoofer
Old 09-01-2013, 09:38 AM   #12

May 2011
United Kingdom

^ I like Empire but even if its writers thought I'm So Excited was the greatest film ever made, it wouldn't translate into actual support. The extent of their enthusiasm would have been a one-page review with a bit of multiplex fluff on the cover. There's something about Empire's relentless onslaught of glossiness that leaves me feeling slightly queasy*

I can see why people might not like I'm So Excited. Long-Suffering Partner wasn't blown away by it. The Almodovar regulars were enough to keep me happy, especially Cecilia Roth.

* apart from Kim Newman's Video Dungeon, which I always read first

Last edited by FaceInTheLeaves; 09-01-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland