Best Blu-ray Movie Deals


Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Lucy 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Oblivion 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Girls Trip (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Great Wall (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Furious 7 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
King Kong 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Fast & Furious 6 4K (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Home for the Holidays (Blu-ray)
$11.88
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$27.37
Cult of Chucky (Blu-ray)
$11.49
Dreamcatcher (Blu-ray)
$5.00
47 Ronin (Blu-ray)
$5.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out


Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Insider Discussion


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2008, 06:43 PM   #1
iceman iceman is offline
Developer
 
iceman's Avatar
 
May 2003
13
64
11
6
5
1
Default "Club Penton" - Ask questions to Hollywood insider "Penton-Man"

This thread is dedicated to asking questions of industry insider "Penton-Man" (Hollywood insider) who has graciously taken the time to participate here. Penton-Man and all our insiders do this out of their free time and to try to keep us informed to their best abilities, and therefore are to be treated with respect and courtesy.

Before asking a question, please skim at least the last weeks worth of posts in order to make sure that the question hasn't already been asked or answered. Using the search function is also always a good idea. Please conduct your inquiries in a professional manner and avoid asking "chicken little" questions or asking when unannounced titles will come out.

Penton-Man - Hollywood - Track posts
If I don't reply timely it's not because I'm rude, it's because I'm fixing things elsewhere
 
Old 01-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #2
aygie aygie is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
aygie's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
PSN Network: Aygie
99
Default

Hey Penton

What's the current (if you know) studio plans regarding the writers strike?

Will studios be focusing on independent types of productions for the moment?

Thanks
Sharp Aquos LC42XD1E, Sharp Aquos LC32D65, Onkyo TX-SR805, PS3 250GB HD, PS3 80GB HD, A.E Aego T Speakers, Sky HD
 
Old 01-15-2008, 02:03 PM   #3
depooter depooter is offline
Expert Member
 
Aug 2007
67
539
Default

Hey Penton.

Please let the studios know that us "early adopters" like non-action films as well. It would be nice for studios like Fox and Sony and to release Blu-Rays of smaller films such as "The Darjeeling Limited", "Southland Tales" and "The King of Kong"..
 
Old 01-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #4
CptGreedle CptGreedle is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
CptGreedle's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
128
5
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle
Default

I like this new thread idea.
Hey there Penton!

with all due respect for the fact that you are an insider and subject to secrets and NDAs and the like, is there anything you can comment upon about the latest Bill Hunt post (1/14) and what the BDA plans to do about the current situation with Toshiba?
I fully expect at this point to wait for at least another month, maybe longer, but it would be nice to see the BDA actively promoting Blu-ray over HD DVD still to lessen the confusion on consumers.

Thanks again for all the time and effort you put into the Blu-ray.com forums and for everything you have done for Blu-ray itself.
Sony KDL-46XBR3 46" Bravia
PlayStation 3 500 GB / Wii
Yamaha HTR-6090 / JBL CONTROL1XTREME / Definitive ProCenter 2000
My BD Collection / PSN ID: CptGreedle
/ WeaklyAnimated.com / TangentArtists
"Film Grain = Good Film"
 
Old 01-15-2008, 02:54 PM   #5
mystiksuicide mystiksuicide is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
mystiksuicide's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Miami
305
27
Default

Hey Penton since Warner joined blu you have been usually quiet around here. We all know that victory is at hand but how about giving us a clue to Universal and Paramount??
Blu-Blood Suicidegirl
Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD (Living Room)
Panasonic DMP-BD10 (Bedroom)
PS3 60g (Game Room) Christmas Addition :D
HD DVD - Never got into that bad habit!
 
Old 01-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #6
phansson phansson is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
phansson's Avatar
 
Nov 2007
Arkansas
22
642
1
Default

Penton,

Do you have any idea when we will see a retailer choose a side? That would be some exciting news.
Projector|Screen|: JVC DLA-RS400, SeymourAV 126" 2.37 Acoustically Transparent screen, ISCO II Anamorphic lens
Processor|Amps:Marantz AV7702mkII, Parsound Halo A21 (2), Parasound Halo A23 (3), Emotiva XPA-1L, Emotiva XPA-200
Sources:PS3 Slim, Samsung UBD-K8500, Dish 722Vip, Appletv
Speakers|Subs:Paradigm Studio 100, CC-690, ADP 470, SA-10R (4), Servo 15, Seaton Sound Submersive
Power|Cables:PS Audio Duet, Monster HTS-5100, Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Cabling
 
Old 01-15-2008, 04:48 PM   #7
Penton-Man Penton-Man is offline
Retired Hollywood Insider
 
Penton-Man's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aygie View Post
Hey Penton

What's the current (if you know) studio plans regarding the writers strike?
Thanks
To get the Directors signed to a new contract asap as the Writers and the Producers are still miles apart.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
 
Old 01-15-2008, 04:51 PM   #8
Penton-Man Penton-Man is offline
Retired Hollywood Insider
 
Penton-Man's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptGreedle View Post
I like this new thread idea.
Hey there Penton!

with all due respect for the fact that you are an insider and subject to secrets and NDAs and the like, is there anything you can comment upon about the latest Bill Hunt post (1/14) and what the BDA plans to do about the current situation with Toshiba?
Bill Hunt has great sources.

The BDA does not plan on purchasing any firesale up-converting Toshiba players…..Jodi will just have to make more room in her garage for the leftovers that they don’t sell to unsuspecting customers.......or else throw them overboard to make a man-made reef in the Pacific.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
 
Old 01-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #9
Penton-Man Penton-Man is offline
Retired Hollywood Insider
 
Penton-Man's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystiksuicide View Post
Hey Penton since Warner joined blu you have been usually quiet around here........
I’ve been working on getting better tickets (than I had last year) for the upcoming Grammy Awards.
As long as they get me one row in front of Craig Kornblau so that he can only see the back of my head, I will be satisfied.

Hey, I plan on getting your official Blu-ray leather jacket out in the mail next week. It is well worth over $100. retail value and you’ll have to ask our forum member richteer (?sp) what the total value is when you factor it in as a Collector’s item given how few were produced.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
 
Old 01-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
desmond desmond is offline
Senior Member
 
desmond's Avatar
 
May 2007
262
2
Default

Any news on Lawrence? Now that war is over time to concetrat on great movies...
 
Old 01-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
aygie aygie is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
aygie's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
PSN Network: Aygie
99
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
To get the Directors signed to a new contract asap as the Writers and the Producers are still miles apart.
Thanks Penton.
Sharp Aquos LC42XD1E, Sharp Aquos LC32D65, Onkyo TX-SR805, PS3 250GB HD, PS3 80GB HD, A.E Aego T Speakers, Sky HD
 
Old 01-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
CptGreedle CptGreedle is offline
Blu-ray Ninja
 
CptGreedle's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
Sworn super-hero now services Atlanta (and suburbs).
128
5
Send a message via AIM to CptGreedle
Default

Cool. Your own Blu jacket!

So are you saying the BDA will not do anything publicly to counter Toshiba? Are they just going to let Toshiba's firesale burn out on its own?
I was just hoping they would do something to lower the HD DVD sales and educate those unsuspecting customers before they invest in a dead/dying technology.
Sony KDL-46XBR3 46" Bravia
PlayStation 3 500 GB / Wii
Yamaha HTR-6090 / JBL CONTROL1XTREME / Definitive ProCenter 2000
My BD Collection / PSN ID: CptGreedle
/ WeaklyAnimated.com / TangentArtists
"Film Grain = Good Film"
 
Old 01-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #13
Penton-Man Penton-Man is offline
Retired Hollywood Insider
 
Penton-Man's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansson View Post
Penton,

Do you have any idea when we will see a retailer choose a side? That would be some exciting news.
This is really the slow season. Nobody feels under any real pressure to do anything.

That being said, after the Warner announcement which essentially decided the format war, I would say that all the retailers are or will be on a track in the direction of total Blu – esp. as preparation time for next Holiday season begins. They did not like the format war to begin with and they do not like the after-effects because it confuses consumers…….and takes up shelf space.

Currently, I would say that BestBuy is on the fastest track toward eventual total Blu enlightenment to its customers.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
 
Old 01-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
Penton-Man Penton-Man is offline
Retired Hollywood Insider
 
Penton-Man's Avatar
 
Apr 2007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by desmond View Post
Any news on Lawrence? Now that war is over time to concetrat on great movies...
The HD master is complete.
The marketing gurus are trying to figure out how much and what type of "added value" there should be accompaning the movie.

Honestly, they don't seem in any rush to me in making their decision. Perhaps I've got to start bugging some people about it just so they get it out sometime in 2008.

Later, it's after 9:00 my time.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
 
Old 01-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
JasonS JasonS is offline
Special Member
 
JasonS's Avatar
 
Dec 2007
Denver, CO
107
76
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
This is really the slow season. Nobody feels under any real pressure to do anything.

That being said, after the Warner announcement which essentially decided the format war, I would say that all the retailers are or will be on a track in the direction of total Blu – esp. as preparation time for next Holiday season begins. They did not like the format war to begin with and they do not like the after-effects because it confuses consumers…….and takes up shelf space.

Currently, I would say that BestBuy is on the fastest track toward eventual total Blu enlightenment to its customers.
When you say "fast track" does that mean that they will sell through their current inventory and just not order more? Or will they just cut back on HD DVD sku's that they stock regularly?
I do Blu.
Samsung LN-T5265F 52" 1080p LCD
Pioneer VSX-1020 | Klipsch Icon | PS3 Slim 120GB

PS3 Trophy Level: 12 | Trophies: 966
Platinum: 12 - Uncharted: Drake's Fortune | Dead Space | Resistance 2 | Quantum of Solace | Wanted: Weapons of Fate | Terminator Salvation | Uncharted 2: Among Thieves | Heavy Rain | God of War III | Dead Space: Extraction | Dead Space 2 | Killzone 3
 
Old 01-15-2008, 05:10 PM   #16
WickyWoo WickyWoo is offline
Blu-ray Champion
 
May 2007
2
Default

Quote:
When you say "fast track" does that mean that they will sell through their current inventory and just not order more? Or will they just cut back on HD DVD sku's that they stock regularly?
I would say the best way to put it is that the company knows they want their discs to match their shirts, and are moving in that direction as fast as not honking off Tosh/Paramount/Uni too badly will allow.
 
Old 01-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #17
spam.curitiba spam.curitiba is offline
Expert Member
 
spam.curitiba's Avatar
 
Jul 2007
172
2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
I would say the best way to put it is that the company knows they want their discs to match their shirts, and are moving in that direction as fast as not honking off Tosh/Paramount/Uni too badly will allow.
I have already noticed that at my local BBY. The hd dvd rack keeps getting smaller and smaller with how many titles there are.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS316SRV
I can't imagine the pain of watching 3 hours of HD DVD. I would rather stand on a belt-sander.
 
Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #18
Jazar Jazar is offline
Active Member
 
Jun 2006
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penton-Man View Post
Currently, I would say that BestBuy is on the fastest track toward eventual total Blu enlightenment to its customers.
Excellent news given that Best Buy is the nation's top HDM selling retailer.
 
Old 01-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #19
mystiksuicide mystiksuicide is offline
Blu-ray Guru
 
mystiksuicide's Avatar
 
Sep 2007
Miami
305
27
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickyWoo View Post
I would say the best way to put it is that the company knows they want their discs to match their shirts, and are moving in that direction as fast as not honking off Tosh/Paramount/Uni too badly will allow.
Employees have been told to sell the remaining hd dvd players ASAP before the bottom falls off. I doubt they will be re-ordering the players again. In fact many store have not re-ordered players since November.
Blu-Blood Suicidegirl
Pioneer Elite BDP-94HD (Living Room)
Panasonic DMP-BD10 (Bedroom)
PS3 60g (Game Room) Christmas Addition :D
HD DVD - Never got into that bad habit!
 
Old 01-15-2008, 05:21 PM   #20
Spankey Spankey is offline
Power Member
 
Spankey's Avatar
 
Oct 2006
Default

Penton,

Care to comment on Amir's "retirement"?
 
Closed Thread
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Insider Discussion

Similar Threads
thread Forum Thread Starter Replies Last Post
Ask questions to Compression Engineer insider "drmpeg" Insider Discussion iceman 137 02-22-2012 09:46 PM
Ask questions to Blu-ray Music insider "Alexander J" Insider Discussion iceman 280 07-04-2011 07:18 PM
Ask questions to Sony Pictures Entertainment insider "paidgeek" Insider Discussion iceman 958 04-06-2008 06:48 PM
Ask questions to Sony Computer Entertainment insider "SCE Insider" Insider Discussion Ben 13 01-21-2008 10:45 PM
UK gets "Kill Bill" 1&2, "Pulp Fiction", "Beowulf", "Jesse James", and more in March? Blu-ray Movies - North America JBlacklow 21 12-07-2007 12:05 PM


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:11 AM.