Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Americans: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$97.44
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Forbidden Kingdom (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Old 03-07-2014, 07:33 PM   #1181
Expert Member

Aug 2010

It doesn't look anything like vhs -- it looks like a worn print.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:38 PM   #1182
Special Member

Jun 2012
o hi o

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgart13 View Post
It doesn't look anything like vhs -- it looks like a worn print.
The extended version looks like shit which is the same thing as VHS lol.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:39 PM   #1183

Jun 2012

I prefer to watch the Extended Cut for its 1980s Drive - In picture quality. Horror movies look better grainy.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:45 PM   #1184
Special Member

Jun 2012
o hi o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator1989 View Post
I prefer to watch the Extended Cut for its 1980s Drive - In picture quality. Horror movies look better grainy.
I understand this logic. However it's not simply grainy. The colors are way off, Detail is non existent and then we come to the scratches and print damage. It reminded of watching a worn and cheap VHS.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:59 PM   #1185
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
East Coast

I am THRILLED that the extended cut of Just Before Dawn was included along with the remastered uncut theatrical version. It gave me the opportunity to see a version of the film I'd never seen before, which is ALWAYS welcome. I don't worry about it looking worn out as long as the theatrical cut looks as best as it can. Code Red did a fantastic job with this release.
Arrow Demons/Demons 2 steelbook F/S.
The Swimmer DVD F/S
Old 03-07-2014, 11:37 PM   #1186

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofthemack View Post
I understand this logic. However it's not simply grainy. The colors are way off, Detail is non existent and then we come to the scratches and print damage. It reminded of watching a worn and cheap VHS.
It reminds me of their releases of RITUALS and NIGHTMARE. Worn out grindhouse prints. It's true that they are lacking in detail and I expect more from 1080p.
Old 03-08-2014, 01:23 AM   #1187
Expert Member

Aug 2010

Then you're being unrealistic.
Old 03-08-2014, 07:45 AM   #1188
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goremeister100 View Post
It reminds me of their releases of RITUALS and NIGHTMARE. Worn out grindhouse prints. It's true that they are lacking in detail and I expect more from 1080p.
When I read a comment like that, I almost understand Bill's *****ing and moaning.

You are being completely unrealistic.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Nosferatu (1979), Blood and Black Lace, Dracula (1979), L'avventura, The Vanishing (1988), Eyes Without a Face, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Without Warning, Don't Look Now (remaster), Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979)
Old 03-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #1189

Dec 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by returnofthemack View Post
It's a definite upgrade from the DVD. Detail is sharper, and night scenes are MUCH clearer. I remember my first impression when I saw the DVD, by the way. It didn't look like a VHS rip to me, but some scenes looked like there had been a smear of vaseline on the camera lens - like in the graveyard photoshoot scene. The same softness is present in the same scenes on the blu-ray, and I suspect it has more to do with the way the film was shot than wear to the print.

I don't expect lobudget vintage horror to look like it was shot yesterday, but I do expect the movies to look as good as the technology allows. And honestly, if you've seen the bootlegs available of Rituals and Silent Night, Bloody Night, it's obvious that Bill has made every effort in restoring the films for their DVD releases. The man may not be a people person (at all), but he definitely works towards showing his movies at their best. Now, if only he could embrace the blu-ray format before even that is outdated.
Most wanted on blu: Blood and Lace ('71), Silent Night, Bloody Bight ('72), What Have You Done to Solange? ('72), Lemora: A Child's Tale of the Supernatural ('73), Messiah of Evil ('73), Terror Circus ('74), It's Alive ('74), Alice, Sweet Alice ('76), Embryo ('76), Rituals ('77), Shock Waves ('77), The Manitou ('78), Don't Go in the House ('79), The Dark ('79), Phantasm ('79), Ghost Story ('81), Hell Night ('81), Madman ('82), C.H.U.D. ('84), Link ('86), Leatherface: TCM III ('90).
Old 03-08-2014, 09:25 AM   #1190

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post
When I read a comment like that, I almost understand Bill's *****ing and moaning.

Its not unrealistic. There would be a noticeable improvement in the visual quality if that idiot didn't cram both versions on a single layer giving them half or even one-quarter the video bit-rate they deserved. Blu-ray has 8x the resolution of dvd, yet his is only 1.5x the file size.

He said he has three different hi-def masters for "Nightmares in a Damaged Brain". I can't wait to see what the quality will be like when he crams all 3 on a single layer bd25.
Old 03-08-2014, 02:42 PM   #1191
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvg00 View Post
Its not unrealistic. There would be a noticeable improvement in the visual quality if that idiot didn't cram both versions on a single layer giving them half or even one-quarter the video bit-rate they deserved. Blu-ray has 8x the resolution of dvd, yet his is only 1.5x the file size.

He said he has three different hi-def masters for "Nightmares in a Damaged Brain". I can't wait to see what the quality will be like when he crams all 3 on a single layer bd25.
We totally agree that there are detriments to the transfers due to his use of low bit-rates. However, that was NOT the point being made. The point being made was about the low amount of details and print damages that came from CR using beat-up old theatrical prints. And the fact is, it *is* unrealistic for this to change for a very simple reason: For the majority of movies he releases that is all there is left.

That's why he took so long to release Nightmare, and that's why we still haven't seen a release of Mutilator. For Nightmare, he found the last theatrical prints in existence - something he has yet to do with The Mutilator.

I really hope he will turn up the bit-rate on later releases, but frankly, not Scream Factory! and not even Synapse can change the fact that for a lot of these movies good materials simply don't exists anymore. So, yes, we will still see transfers from low-detail, beaten-up theatrical prints. And, given the titles, it's unrealistic that it is going to change - no matter who releases them.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Nosferatu (1979), Blood and Black Lace, Dracula (1979), L'avventura, The Vanishing (1988), Eyes Without a Face, The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Without Warning, Don't Look Now (remaster), Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979)
Old 03-08-2014, 07:31 PM   #1192
Special Member

Jun 2012
o hi o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Ashton View Post
It's a definite upgrade from the DVD. Detail is sharper, and night scenes are MUCH clearer. I remember my first impression when I saw the DVD, by the way. It didn't look like a VHS rip to me, but some scenes looked like there had been a smear of vaseline on the camera lens - like in the graveyard photoshoot scene. The same softness is present in the same scenes on the blu-ray, and I suspect it has more to do with the way the film was shot than wear to the print.

I don't expect lobudget vintage horror to look like it was shot yesterday, but I do expect the movies to look as good as the technology allows. And honestly, if you've seen the bootlegs available of Rituals and Silent Night, Bloody Night, it's obvious that Bill has made every effort in restoring the films for their DVD releases. The man may not be a people person (at all), but he definitely works towards showing his movies at their best. Now, if only he could embrace the blu-ray format before even that is outdated.
We are both talking about he extended version right? I thought the extended version was never on dvd before. I thought the regular version looked pretty good
Old 03-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #1193
Special Member

Jun 2012
o hi o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post

The fact of the matter is that the extended version of just before dawn doesn't look like blu ray/1080P. At best it's looks like a bad dvd. Is it a nice bonus? Yes but it shouldn't come at the expense of the the PQ on the regular cut. Which it did when both cuts were put on a BD 25
Old 03-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #1194
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
PA

^ every time I see that dude post I look up this youtube video.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:11 AM   #1195
Expert Member

Oct 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Ashton View Post
And honestly, if you've seen the bootlegs available of Rituals and Silent Night, Bloody Night, it's obvious that Bill has made every effort in restoring the films for their DVD releases. The man may not be a people person (at all), but he definitely works towards showing his movies at their best. Now, if only he could embrace the blu-ray format before even that is outdated.
I completely agree, as I have those bootlegs. Both of those films look pretty damn good on their respective Code Red DVD releases. A pair of HD prints of either would be nice, but all things considered I feel pretty lucky that we have what we got.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:10 AM   #1196

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRealist View Post
^ every time I see that dude post I look up this youtube video.

Mark Morrison - Return Of The Mack [OFFICIAL MUSIC VIDEO] - YouTube
One of the greatest music videos of all time
Old 03-09-2014, 03:13 AM   #1197
Special Member

Jun 2012
o hi o

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmorrison View Post
One of the greatest music videos of all time
There it is.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #1198
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
PA

He said it's not Nightmare, Sweet Sixteen or Shakma

Last edited by HyperRealist; 03-19-2014 at 08:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:33 PM   #1199
Power Member

Jun 2011

Old 03-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #1200

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperRealist View Post

He said it's not Nightmare, Sweet Sixteen or Shakma
Bill said Nightmare has run into a sync issue with the commentary, but Nightmare looks to be still on the way!

Sweet Sixteen also looks to be still in the works.

So does this mean we will be getting a total of 6 Blu's by mid-April?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors