Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$62.50
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Treme: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

View Poll Results: Did you Enjoy Rob Zombie's Remake of Halloween??
Yes, it was scarier than the original! 28 19.72%
No, it was a horrible and disrespectful attempt to remake a classic 31 21.83%
Not Too Bad! But not, the better than the original! 67 47.18%
Hollywood shouldn't keep remaking classics and ruining them! 16 11.27%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2009, 12:23 PM   #41

Aug 2008

Rob Zombie's movies are usually vulgar, and the guy wouldn't know class if it but him. It worked great in House of 1000 Corpses, but this just ended up being a pale imitation of the original. Halloween 2 sounds even worse, especially after seeing the pictures of Bill Moseley. I love all kinds of horror movies, but Rob Zombie's movies can sometimes be too white trash for my taste. So much that it's not even fun anymore.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #42
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Dover, Pennsylvania PSN:WORKINtheCORNER
Send a message via MSN to PH3AR Send a message via Skype™ to PH3AR

Did not like this movie at all, it ruined a classic!

...but i am a fan of Zombies work, House of 1000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects were great!
Last Blu-ray Watched: Elysium (PQ 5/5, AQ 4.5/5, MOVIE 5/5)
Last Blu-ray(s) Bought: SOA: Season 5 & Warrior
Most Wanted Blus: 1941, Bad Boys II, and True Lies
My Home Theater Thread | PS3 Games | PSN Profile
"oh wait... time to check in on a random Beef-Jerky or 50 Year Old Hot Actress thread"-Beta Man
"Just wait till I start talking about my juicebar adventures.."-Moefiz
"well, i have the best of both worlds. i'm married to my HT"-Sussudio
Old 03-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
Saint Paul Minnesota.

I think it sucked and didnt come close to the original. It also goes to show how Hollywood should keep their hands off trying to re-make the classics. HOWEVER I do like the Texas Chainsaw re-makes and the new Friday The 13th movie.
Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
Subwoofer: Pioneer.
Xfinity HD.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:43 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2008
I've gone into outer space to destroy another race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1971 View Post
I think it sucked and didnt come close to the original. It also goes to show how Hollywood should keep their hands off trying to re-make the classics. HOWEVER I do like the Texas Chainsaw re-makes and the new Friday The 13th movie.
Well doesn't that sound wishy-washy?
"If your apartment is hit by a dolphin, don't go outside to see if the dolphin is okay. That is how the hurricane tricks you into coming outside."

I'm feeling Megatronic. Give me a colonic.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #45
Expert Member

Jan 2009
Florida

Moseley is off Halloween 2 accordingly due to scheduling commitments Also the younger Meyer Daeg Hirsch(sp) is also out since he has now sprouted above Sherri Moon.
I am a huge horror fan. I do not like remakes only in the sense that some people will not try and see the original if they didnt like the first one, and that kinda sucks. I am for the genre though so whatever brings more money and support to it is fine by me. I wish people would go further than what is out there to see where ot started.
Black Christmas 1974-Black Christmas 2006
Hitcher 1986-Hitcher 2007
Tale of 2 Sisters 2003-The Uninvited 2009
April Fool's Day 1986-April Fool's Day 2008
Prom Night 1980-Prom Night 2008
Shutter: They are Around Us 2004-Shutter 2008
Sorry got off on a tangent. I still will go see Halloween 2: The Devil Walks Among Us and I'm happy it's going in a different direction than the original part 2 this way it's new and there is nothing to compare it to.
Blu and DVD collection
http://pfdfiredog.dvdaf.com

The Bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out and meet it...
-Thucydides
Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Las Vegas, NV

The main reason why I liked Zombie's version because he gave Michael a believable background that would create a serial killer, none of that supernatural crap. That made Michael Myers all the more terrifying, to see a human being like that capable of such madness because there was nobody left that cared about him. Human isn't a single entity. It's part of the human heart, and it's horrifying to see it on that level.
It's showtime, folks!
Old 03-29-2011, 01:23 PM   #47
Special Member

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Bond View Post
The main reason why I liked Zombie's version because he gave Michael a believable background that would create a serial killer, none of that supernatural crap.
exactly, he sticked with the old cliche, boy gets picked on by bullys and step father, tortures rats and then kills people.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:37 PM   #48
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2010
Deep in the jungle.

The only version of RZ's Halloween that I will re-watch (and definitely the only one I own) is the leaked work-print version. It's so much better than both the theatrical version and the so-called "director's cut" released on home video. The workprint is so much better that I cannot fathom how or why the studio insisted upon the changes they wanted. The "legit" versions just reek.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger.
Old 03-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #49
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Lugosi View Post
The only version of RZ's Halloween that I will re-watch (and definitely the only one I own) is the leaked work-print version. It's so much better than both the theatrical version and the so-called "director's cut" released on home video. The workprint is so much better that I cannot fathom how or why the studio insisted upon the changes they wanted. The "legit" versions just reek.
The workprint was the first version I saw and also found a lot of portions of the film to be better than both cuts.

However, with the two that are available around the world on Blu-Ray, the theatrical is better. The Director's Cut is just terrible imo. Neither are great movies, but the rape scene is so out of place and stupid in the Director's Cut.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #50
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28BlusLater View Post
The workprint was the first version I saw and also found a lot of portions of the film to be better than both cuts.

However, with the two that are available around the world on Blu-Ray, the theatrical is better. The Director's Cut is just terrible imo. Neither are great movies, but the rape scene is so out of place and stupid in the Director's Cut.
YES!!!

I like the movie alot and appreciate what he did with it given what he was up against. But I really dont like the rape scene at all and prefer the cops getting killed version, killing Sgt Callahan from police Academy in the process.

Part 2- I liked how he came full circle and completed a 2 part story. However, the whole voices and mommy thing was just too much for me. And for a horror film, it feels way too long.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Rob Zombie's Halloween is perhaps my favorite remake of all-time. However, my biggest gripe with the film (aside from the rape scene) was the plot hole of Michael knowing Laurie was his sister which was never explained.

Well, I met Tyler Mane at a convention over the weekend and asked him this very question.

In his opinion, Michael knew she was his sister by being around her since he was raised with her. (I can't explain it too well, but people who have sisters might know what I'm talking about. That "sibling connection" you guys can feel.)

According to him though, Zombie intentionally left it unanswered as another nod to the original with the mystique / amibiguity crap.

Re: Workprint

Differences for those that want to know.

[Show spoiler]SCENES IN WORKPRINT NOT IN THEATRICAL VERSION:

1. During the breakfast scene, there's additional dialogue between Judith and Deborah concerning eggs. Judith alludes to Deborah having an abortion.

2. The workprint has an opening credits sequence. It plays over the scene of Michael running from the school, Loomis introduction, and the bully walking through the woods. These scenes are all longer as a result, most significantly more dialogue between Loomis and Deborah, presented in voice over as Michael runs.

3. There's an additional shot when Deborah confronts Michael outside the house after the murders.

4. The montage of Loomis and Michael getting to know each other has more dialogue/scene snippets

5. In the workprint, there is an additional scene of young Michael with Deborah at the institution, where he expresses his need to get out of here. When he learns he cannot leave, he says Then I have nothing left to say.

6. When the nurse looks at the photo of Michael and Boo, there is an additional line where she alludes to Michael being ugly. This provides more of a motive for her killing than is present in the theatrical version.

7. The Fifteen Years Later scene begins with a newscast about Michael's possible transfer.

8. Following this newscast begins one of the biggest changes: Udo Kiers character. In the theatrical he is only in ONE scene, but here he has quite a few as the head of Smiths Grove. He is joined by Clint Howard and Tom Towles as other hospital higher-ups. They disagree with Loomis instructions for Michael's care. This is followed by the scene where Loomis tells Michael he can no longer be his doctor.

9. The scene of Ishmael Cruz and the new orderly in Michael's room is a bit longer.

10. An additional shot of Loomis leaving Smiths Grove, looking back with a look on his face showing that he is clearly conflicted about his decision to quit on Michael.

11. Additional shots of Michael watching Joe Grizzly.

12. The scene where we meet Laurie and the Strodes is lengthened, there is more talk about the pervert hardware store owner.

13. After Loomis speaks at the lecture, there is a scene of him walking with a colleague, asking how he thought he did in the speech.

14. When Laurie and Lynda leave the school, Lynda harasses another female student for some reason, pouring a drink on her head (this is one of the few changes that were for the better, as it makes Lynda even more annoying than she already is)

15. Additional sex talk between the three girls as they walk home

16. When they see Michael, there are additional shots of him standing across the street (in the theatrical we only see his blurry shape)

17. A scene of Laurie walking to her house where her mother is putting up decorations outside. Michael is seen following her in the background.

18. A scene showing Michael in the graveyard, finding the tombstone and then removing it.

19. After Laurie leaves to baby-sit, we hear Michael breathing as her parents chat. When the mother goes inside, Michael approaches. The father sees him and assumes he is a trick or treater.

20. A scene showing Laurie watching horror movies with the kids. Laurie tells Lindsay its time for her to go.

21. The chase from the Wallaces to the Doyles is a bit longer

22. The pool scene is a bit longer

23. A scene of Loomis and Laurie walking to the car is longer, and it really resonates that Loomis is feeling guilty, a moment that is truncated in the theatrical.

SCENES IN THE THEATRICAL VERSION THAT ARE NOT IN THE WORKPRINT:

1. A scene of Loomis explaining the color spectrum to Michael

2. The death of Ishmael Cruz.

3. A scene of Brackett pulling up alongside the girls as they walk home. Brackett offers a ride, which only Annie accepts.

4. The graveyard scene with Sid Haig.

5. A scene where Lynda calls Laurie right before Bobs death.

6. A quick bit where the Strodes express confusion over what Annie means by saying her dad is same as always

7. Loomis buys a gun

8. A shot of Bob backing his van into the driveway at the Myers house. Also, this scene occurs much earlier in the theatrical version than it does in the workprint.

9. A scene where Brackett explains how he knows who Laurie Strode's real family is (a much needed addition as it is never explained in the workprint how she came to be with that family or how Loomis would know where to find her).

10. Loomis running up to the house and finding the kids is not in the workprint.

SCENES THAT ARE DIFFERENT ENTIRELY:

1. Michael listens to Monster Mash in the first scene instead of classic rock (note a lot of the music is different, more usages of the original music, but that is to be expected from a workprint this was the only one I will point out)

2. The biggest one that almost everyone knows about, when Michael escapes. In the workprint, an orderly and his friend harass and then rape a female inmate in Michael's room. Michael ignores them until they begin playing with his masks (this pays off the line about him not liking it when people touch his things). He kills them both, gets their keys, and escapes. In the theatrical, he is being moved for some reason and suddenly kills the four guards, including Tom Towles (who plays a different character in the workprint), as well as Bill Moseley, and Leslie Easterbrook, neither of whom appear in the workprint).

3. The scene where Loomis is told that Michael escapes is entirely different, and features more Udo Kier.

4. The scene where Loomis leaves for Haddonfield after arguing with Udo Kier and Clint Howard is completely different.

5. The scene where Loomis meets Brackett takes place in a different location (a diner in the theatrical, and what appears to be the graveyard in the workprint), and the dialogue is different.

6. Mrs. Strode is brutally killed; in the workprint it is just sort of suggested.

7. Bob's death is completely different. In the workprint, he is killed in his van when he goes out to get beer. In the theatrical, he is killed in the exact same way he was killed in the 1978 film.

8. The ending is completely different from the moment Michael pulls Laurie out of the car. In the workprint, Loomis talks to Michael for a while longer than he does in the theatrical version. Then the cops show up, guns drawn. Loomis convinces them all to stand down while he continues to try to calm Michael. He succeeds, and Michael lets Laurie go. As she runs to Loomis, the cops (including Brackett) open fire, shooting him dozens of times. Loomis screams for them to stop but its too late. Michael appears dead. The film ends on a very nice shot of Loomis standing over Michaels body, clearly realizing how he failed his patient, as we hear the audio recording of their very first meeting at Smiths Grove. In the theatrical, Michael attacks Loomis, then spends about 10 minutes smashing his house trying to find Laurie. He finally does, and then rushes her. They go out the window, then Laurie shoots him, screams, and the film ends.
It's showtime, folks!

Last edited by Agent Bond; 11-12-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:10 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

I went the Grammatically challenged choice
"Not Too Bad! But not, the better than the original! "
Its not the better than the original
But I did like all the background into Myers past
I thought this was Zombies best film however
Old 11-12-2012, 04:14 PM   #53
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spymaster View Post
Two words: Danielle Harris!!
3 words: Danielle Harris Topless!

I love this almost as much as the original. After watching it dozens of times I think the workprint is still my favorite cut, but don't get all the love/hate of the escape scenes. Break it down and both truly suck! Both are completely stupid in context with the rest of the film, and the only reason I care about the theater cut is all the cameos that the DC misses. And why does he kill Ismael in all of them (except the workprint)?

That being said the rape is slightly more possible than a midnight moving without the proper staff or equipment. By then they knew what Michael was, and should've known 4 of them were not enough to stop him if he tried to escape. The rape is just retarded people doing retarded shit, which for me is more believable than midnight move (and where the hell were they moving him too?).

I've seen them referred to as the "rape escape" vs "Michael goes Hulk". Take your pick for silliest.

One last thing I should mention is I hate Laurie in Zombie's films. I never once wanted Jamie Lee to die in the original series, but always want Scout to here. After research (watching other movies with her in them) I have determined it's the character an not the actress I hate, I kinda like Scout in other stuff. Here she's little more than an annoying teen ****tard.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #54
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2011
UK

I prefered this film to the original and i thought it was more scarier than the original film.
Currently: Playing:Wolfenstein The New Order/Tomb Raider The Definitive Edition/Metro Redux/Destiny/The Evil Within/Sunset Overdrive
Old 11-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Quote:
That being said the rape is slightly more possible than a midnight moving without the proper staff or equipment. By then they knew what Michael was, and should've known 4 of them were not enough to stop him if he tried to escape. The rape is just retarded people doing retarded shit, which for me is more believable than midnight move (and where the hell were they moving him too?).

I've seen them referred to as the "rape escape" vs "Michael goes Hulk". Take your pick for silliest.
The Director's Cut escape was stupid and needless. It also made Michael an unintentional hero when if anything, he should've killed the girl too! I honestly believe Zombie has a rape fetish.

At least, the theatrical escape made Michael a fu**ing badass! I prefer that version.

Quote:
Here she's little more than an annoying teen ****tard.
That's what's so great about movies though. They're a reflection of the times.
It's showtime, folks!
Old 11-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #56
Special Member

Oct 2012
California

I am a huge fan of Carpenter's original. When I heard this was coming out naturally I kind of just rolled my eyes and figured I wouldn't even give it a chance. I actually truly had no intention of seeing it but I got dragged to it by my girlfriend and her brother and what do you know, I kind of liked it. It definitely isn't better than the original but it was a damn good vision of the Michael Myers story. Sure, the dialogue was awful and it lacked true suspense but I thought it was a really solid remake. It is easily one of the best horror movie remakes. When compared to the Friday the 13th or Nightmare on Elm Street remake, this looks like a masterpiece.

Halloween II was terrible though, lol.
Old 11-13-2012, 03:06 PM   #57

Feb 2011

I have some questions about Zombie's Halloween releases if anyone can help.

1 - Is is true that only the director's cuts of both films are available on BD in the US?
2 - What is the cheapest way to buy the Canadain double-pack with both theatrical versions online?
Old 11-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #58
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
The Director's Cut escape was stupid and needless. It also made Michael an unintentional hero when if anything, he should've killed the girl too! I honestly believe Zombie has a rape fetish.

At least, the theatrical escape made Michael a fu**ing badass! I prefer that version.
See this is why I like the workprint best, as Michael only kills those who have been mean to him. The girl did nothing, he never knew her as she was a "new patient" (mentioned in both cuts I think). He didn't care when she was getting raped, just that those fools started touching his things. She didn't touch his stuff, so she lived. Plus he didn't kill Ismael in that cut which can be looked at different ways. I guess it makes Michael weaker by being more human, but made it more tragic and believable to me. Add on the far better ending which means part 2 never happened, and it's easily the best cut IMHO!

Can't argue about Zombie's rape fetish, have to agree.
Old 11-17-2012, 02:32 AM   #59
Special Member

Dec 2011
Cincinnati, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe Szyslak View Post
I have some questions about Zombie's Halloween releases if anyone can help.

1 - Is is true that only the director's cuts of both films are available on BD in the US?
2 - What is the cheapest way to buy the Canadain double-pack with both theatrical versions online?
01. Yep.
02. Amazon.ca, probably. The Japanese blu-ray of H2 and French blu-ray of H2 have both cuts, if you want separate cases for them.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:01 PM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2012
New York City

Quote:
The main reason why I liked Zombie's version because he gave Michael a believable background that would create a serial killer, none of that supernatural crap. That made Michael Myers all the more terrifying, to see a human being like that capable of such madness because there was nobody left that cared about him. Human isn't a single entity. It's part of the human heart, and it's horrifying to see it on that level.
I don't find Zombie's version of Michael terrifying at all. It's the same old cliche serial killer background. John Carpenter's classic film was much better because it didn't have a poor script with f bombs all over the place and it doesn't replace suspense and terror with torture porn that isn't scary at all. Also, the main characters were actually likeable. Zombie's misogynistic script turns Laurie, Annie and Lynda into annoying street w***e trash.
It's more terrifying seeing a nice little boy from a wholesome family suddenly snap and become evil. The ambiguity is much creepier. For someone who claim's to love the original so much, Zombie has no idea why the film worked in the first place.
Last Bought: American Horror Story: Coven, The Walking Dead: Season 4, Detention, The Toxic Avenger Future Purchases: Sin City: A Dame To Kill For, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Game of Thrones: Season 4, Gone Girl, Girls: Season 3, Shameless: Season 4, Hannibal: Season 2, True Blood: Season 7.

Last edited by BluProofie; 11-17-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America