Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Fringe: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.09
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$61.79
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2007
Default Streaming to AVR?

I just upgraded my AVR to a Pioneer SC1222K. It has Airplay built in and I have a iPhone4. I'm completely new to streaming over wifi and am not sure which route to go. Can anyone offer me any advice?

My eqiup:
Pioneer Elite PRO1150HD 768p Plasma
Directv HD DVR HR22
Pioneer BDP-320
Pioneer SC1222K AVR (new piece)
Old G wifi router hooked up to PC
New Dlink wireless access point: http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solu...n-access-point

I got the access point to be hooked up via ethernet to the new AVR to get a signal from the router in another room. I wanted the AVR to be able to stream music from PC and use Airplay from my iPhone4.

I'm not sure if the access point I bought will do what I'm looking for, or if I should buy something like a Roku as streaming/downloading movies from Netflix of Amazon would be a plus. I wasn't sure if the AVR will pass on the Video to the TV and the audio to the speakers.
Detroit/Michigan Sports Fanatic - Go Blue, Wings, Tigers, Lions, Pistons!
Famous Blu-ray.com Quotes:
"the Anti-Crim wasn't banned, though...just regular and pirate version" - jkwest
"Crim if you can read this, give us a sign." - dpompeo (aka dpomp)
"I'm glad you aren't dead." - BruceWayne
"Brucey!!!! nice...getting lucky with some rapper skank!" - jkwest
Old 02-17-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
North of Sixty

I have an Airport Express that I hooked into my avr with a 1/8 into two rca's like this one:

[Show spoiler]rca splitter.jpg

We can stream music with our MacBooks or our iPhones. I wanted to get an AppleTV, but someone told me that it won't stream video, which makes that pointless for me.
There are a few other streaming devices that get solid reviews.
Hope that helps a bit and good luck with your search.

*edit
I see you have Airplay. You don't need the splitter. I believe you just get your avr into your wifi network. I don't have Airplay and can't help.
Too bad no Pioneer dudes chime in with some help.

Last edited by Scarriere; 02-17-2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added to it
Old 02-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Alexandria, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
I just upgraded my AVR to a Pioneer SC1222K. It has Airplay built in and I have a iPhone4. I'm completely new to streaming over wifi and am not sure which route to go. Can anyone offer me any advice?

My eqiup:
Pioneer Elite PRO1150HD 768p Plasma
Directv HD DVR HR22
Pioneer BDP-320
Pioneer SC1222K AVR (new piece)
Old G wifi router hooked up to PC
New Dlink wireless access point: http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-solu...n-access-point

I got the access point to be hooked up via ethernet to the new AVR to get a signal from the router in another room. I wanted the AVR to be able to stream music from PC and use Airplay from my iPhone4.

I'm not sure if the access point I bought will do what I'm looking for, or if I should buy something like a Roku as streaming/downloading movies from Netflix of Amazon would be a plus. I wasn't sure if the AVR will pass on the Video to the TV and the audio to the speakers.
if your receiver as airplay built in it will be able to stream music ONLY (no video) from any iOS device that has wi-fi built into it. the iOS device can access the receiver via a wireless access point. on your iOS device there will be a airplay symbol on it, tap it and it should say something like "your pc and/or the name of the receiver" select the receiver and your music should now be streaming to your receiver. you may or may not need to change your receiver to "airplay" or something but, you need to consult your manual.

if you want to stream movies, music, music videos from either your iOS device or your itunes on a pc/mac you will need an appleTV for that. i use an appleTV just for that. this way when we have kids over, i have a nice library on my pc that has a lot of kid movies and i just stream them via appleTV.

the receivers with airplay are nice, but they are music only. as long as everything has access to your network your fine. too bad you didn't get the dlink wap dap-1525, it's the next up version of the one you have. i had the 1522 but wanted something with more signal. i get full signal over 3 floors of house.

hope this helped.
55" Sony SXRD KDS-A552000 1080P
PS3 Slim & XBOX 360 Elite, Wii, iPhone5 64gb
iPad4 64gb, AppleTV-hdmi, NAS-1tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 & 83 players
Onkyo PR-SC5507P Pre/Pro; TX-NR525 Harmony 1, SB-Touch, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3, QS4v3 M2v3, Front 3 Bi-Wired! Emotiva XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200, & mini-x Amps, XDA-1DAC, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub & Ultra Subs 12 Polk Audio SDA-2, Monitor 10 & Monitor 5Jr speakers
NY GIANTS!

Last edited by solarrdadd; 02-17-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Receivers