Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Spartacus: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$62.50
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Treme: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 10-25-2014, 12:04 AM   #4941
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldgibson76 View Post
Hello Big Bro.

Thanks for stopping by and checking in on me. Yeah, I'm coming around to my usual self. I'm feeling much better and I'm yielding positive results from the followup tests.

As far as the hobby is concerned, I'm maintaining my current ensemble of devices with a minor modification here and there, nothning special. However, I did replace my old Belkin PureAV 3 x 1HDMI switcher with a more advance Octava HDS5 5 x 1 matrix v1.4 switcher. Because I added the Sony BDP-S790 to my setup so I can experience 3D w/high rez audio, I ran out of HDMI inputs. The HDS5 now gives me a total of 8 HDMI available inputs. The Rotel pre pro only has 4 inputs so with the 5 additional inputs, I can now accommodate all devices. I thought it look crazy, but where I have the 790 positioned, it looks very integrated and the additional HDMI cables did not reek havoc on the wire management behind the low boy. To tell you the truth, it's a patch job until I finally man up a buy a new pre-pro. :0

CrazDogg had the opportunity to stop by my house and see the cave up close and personal. It was a short visit but he did get a chance to hear a few tracks and witness that "XMen: DOFP did load and play in both my Sony BDP's. I've read that there have been an issue or two reported about the Oppo BDP-80/83 having issues playing back the new Blu-ray disc.

Being that the 80 and 83 are 1st Gen blu-ray devices from Oppo (2008-9), the same year(s) when the S5000ES was introduced and on the market. We were theorising whether the issue is relative to build date, technology available and current HDCP encryption. But being that the S5000ES loaded and played the 2D version without as much as a hiccup, that premise was abandoned with the quickness.

I have a question for you,..... When you visited Spurrier's home to see his system and help fine tune his setup, what did you think when you first entered his room and saw his setup? I guess I'm asking, did it make you reflect on your setup, it's performance and the aesthetic of the room? I ask because when I visited CrazDogg's Lair of audio nirvana, I immediatedly thought that my room was quite boring, bordering on the austere, lacking personality, bland, if you will,....

The self loathing didn't stop there. Sound quality wise was real reality check. Not that my system sounds bad, but I became a little concerned that my setup did sound as good as one would assume. (Debatable, of course) You don't really realize this until you listen to a different setup in a different enviroment. Do you get where I'm coming from? Gracious as anyone could be, John showered me with compliments about the set up and the look of the room. That's appreciated, but it's about the sound! I did not think my system performed as well as it could. Proper calibration is without question, the order of the day. I have a Radio Shack SPL Meter and a Munsil and Spears calibration disc, but that's mainly for video calibration. I also have the REW audio calibration software from HTShack.com, but I've never really used it to it's fullest, so yeah, I'm paranoid that there's a chance that my beloved system may sound like crap! :bitenail:

Bottomline,... experiencing another's setup could induce terminal upgraditis!
Terminal upgraditis!

Hopefully re-calibrating with a sound meter helps.

What are your ideas for room's look? I'd love to make my room look like a proper theater. But it's also the living room, so it won't happen.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 41 Movies 5 TV Series
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
Old 10-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #4942
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Northern Delaware

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
Terminal upgraditis!

Hopefully re-calibrating with a sound meter helps.

What are your ideas for room's look? I'd love to make my room look like a proper theater. But it's also the living room, so it won't happen.
Hello Travis, old friend. We haven't chatted in a while..... My fault of course!

I hope all is well with you and the family. Is that beautiful handful of a daughter calling the shots, ruling the homefront, laying down the law!?!

As far as my room's look is concerned, I'm so basic by nature, to me right now, it's fine other than the applying a darker shade to the walls.

I have been contemplating a front projection big screen solution. Not sure how to pull it off, but a retractable application with a projector capable of a long throw (15-17 feet) and accommodating a 103" screen from that distance. Just thinking out loud.
Regards,

My Room as of Sept 2014

"Chance favors only the prepared mind." Louis Pasteur
Old 10-25-2014, 12:51 AM   #4943
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2008
Near Atlanta GA

Quote:
Hello Big Bro.

Thanks for stopping by and checking in on me. Yeah, I'm coming around to my usual self. I'm feeling much better and I'm yielding positive results from the followup tests.

As far as the hobby is concerned, I'm maintaining my current ensemble of devices with a minor modification here and there, nothning special. However, I did replace my old Belkin PureAV 3 x 1HDMI switcher with a more advance Octava HDS5 5 x 1 matrix v1.4 switcher. Because I added the Sony BDP-S790 to my setup so I can experience 3D w/high rez audio, I ran out of HDMI inputs. The HDS5 now gives me a total of 8 HDMI available inputs. The Rotel pre pro only has 4 inputs so with the 5 additional inputs, I can now accommodate all devices. I thought it look crazy, but where I have the 790 positioned, it looks very integrated and the additional HDMI cables did not reek havoc on the wire management behind the low boy. To tell you the truth, it's a patch job until I finally man up a buy a new pre-pro. :0

CrazDogg had the opportunity to stop by my house and see the cave up close and personal. It was a short visit but he did get a chance to hear a few tracks and witness that "XMen: DOFP did load and play in both my Sony BDP's. I've read that there have been an issue or two reported about the Oppo BDP-80/83 having issues playing back the new Blu-ray disc.

Being that the 80 and 83 are 1st Gen blu-ray devices from Oppo (2008-9), the same year(s) when the S5000ES was introduced and on the market. We were theorising whether the issue is relative to build date, technology available and current HDCP encryption. But being that the S5000ES loaded and played the 2D version without as much as a hiccup, that premise was abandoned with the quickness.

I have a question for you,..... When you visited Spurrier's home to see his system and help fine tune his setup, what did you think when you first entered his room and saw his setup? I guess I'm asking, did it make you reflect on your setup, it's performance and the aesthetic of the room? I ask because when I visited CrazDogg's Lair of audio nirvana, I immediatedly thought that my room was quite boring, bordering on the austere, lacking personality, bland, if you will,....

The self loathing didn't stop there. Sound quality wise was real reality check. Not that my system sounds bad, but I became a little concerned that my setup did sound as good as one would assume. (Debatable, of course) You don't really realize this until you listen to a different setup in a different enviroment. Do you get where I'm coming from? Gracious as anyone could be, John showered me with compliments about the set up and the look of the room. That's appreciated, but it's about the sound! I did not think my system performed as well as it could. Proper calibration is without question, the order of the day. I have a Radio Shack SPL Meter and a Munsil and Spears calibration disc, but that's mainly for video calibration. I also have the REW audio calibration software from HTShack.com, but I've never really used it to it's fullest, so yeah, I'm paranoid that there's a chance that my beloved system may sound like crap! :bitenail:

Bottomline,... experiencing another's setup could induce terminal upgraditis!
Geez I just asked a simple question.

Glad the HDMI switcher help out with all your gear. Yeah I read the same thing of the older BD players having problems with the new X-men. I'll see if it will play on my 1.0 profile Sony player in the master bedroom.

I thought John did a very good job with the way his system looked and sounded. But once I was there for awhile I could sense that something was off so we spent a couple of hours with test tones and my SPL meter to bring his system up a notch. Now I really need to get back to hear his newest incarnation. Did it make me second guess my system.... not really. I was very lucky to be able to put together a system pairing the high efficient Klipsch legacy Forte II speakers with improved crossovers paired with the four subwoofers to give me a full bodied sound in my current room. Now I think you are over analyzing but that is your nature. Now I know Craz D got some really high end gear so I would suspect they might have you wondering but we all love this hobby for the journey it takes us on and soon you will up the ante in your system too. I do want to go hear the Triton Ones and the Dynaudio speakers sometime during the holidays to see if that would be something I want to pursue.

I'm really glad your health has improved cause I don't want another scare like that from you.
AL
“If at first you don't succeed, try something easier.”

Sharp Quattron LC-70LE735U Oppo BDP-103 Pioneer Elite CLD-79 Darbeevision DVP-5000
Denon AVR-4311ci, DR-M10HX Monster HTS-5000 Outlaw Model 750
Klipsch Forte II, RC-62 II, IW-100, KSB 1.1
Velodyne VA 1012 Hsu Research ULS-15 Triple Drive

Last edited by hometheatergeek; 10-25-2014 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:31 AM   #4944
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Nov 2008
On the sofa

Quote:
Hello Travis, old friend. We haven't chatted in a while..... My fault of course!

I hope all is well with you and the family. Is that beautiful handful of a daughter calling the shots, ruling the homefront, laying down the law!?!

As far as my room's look is concerned, I'm so basic by nature, to me right now, it's fine other than the applying a darker shade to the walls.

I have been contemplating a front projection big screen solution. Not sure how to pull it off, but a retractable application with a projector capable of a long throw (15-17 feet) and accommodating a 103" screen from that distance. Just thinking out loud.
A dark shade and projector!

Yep, kid is calling all the shots. Made me rewatch a few real horrific movies a few times this Halloween season.
[Show spoiler]

Glad you are feeling better.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 41 Movies 5 TV Series
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
Old Yesterday, 05:33 PM   #4945
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2009
The "Boogie Down"
Send a message via AIM to DangeRuss Send a message via Yahoo to DangeRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by hometheatergeek View Post
Geez I just asked a simple question.

Glad the HDMI switcher help out with all your gear. Yeah I read the same thing of the older BD players having problems with the new X-men. I'll see if it will play on my 1.0 profile Sony player in the master bedroom.

I thought John did a very good job with the way his system looked and sounded. But once I was there for awhile I could sense that something was off so we spent a couple of hours with test tones and my SPL meter to bring his system up a notch. Now I really need to get back to hear his newest incarnation. Did it make me second guess my system.... not really. I was very lucky to be able to put together a system pairing the high efficient Klipsch legacy Forte II speakers with improved crossovers paired with the four subwoofers to give me a full bodied sound in my current room. Now I think you are over analyzing but that is your nature. Now I know Craz D got some really high end gear so I would suspect they might have you wondering but we all love this hobby for the journey it takes us on and soon you will up the ante in your system too.

I'm really glad your health has improved cause I don't want another scare like that from you.
I agree on both counts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
A dark shade and projector!

Glad you are feeling better.
I agree here also ............
Visuals by......
Panasonic~ Oppo

Audio by...
DUAL~ Grado ~ Yamaha
Harman/Kardon~ Acoustic Research
SVS