Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Fringe: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$58.09
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Treme: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 09-30-2014, 03:45 AM   #1561
Power Member

Jul 2012
TX, USA

Interesting interview with Studio Ghibli's Geoffrey "Jeff" Wexler about the subtitles and dubbing process for The Wind Rises and Princes Kaguya.

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/stud...is-jeff-wexler
Old 10-15-2014, 07:02 AM   #1562

Oct 2014
West Pluto

I got the case with all of their movies released (at the time it came out after ponyo) it's quite fantastic and was only like 30 bucks a pretty killer deal
Add me on:
3ds: 3496-9789-9334
Psn: hellodad85
Steam: thanous63
Xbl: tsrthanous
Facebook.com/tigersingh63
Old 10-15-2014, 07:22 AM   #1563

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by thanous View Post
I got the case with all of their movies released (at the time it came out after ponyo) it's quite fantastic and was only like 30 bucks a pretty killer deal
I'm sure that you made some bootlegger very happy... <sigh> Heck, I did with one of my first anime purchases more than 20 years ago. ;_; Since then I've been a buyer of legit VHS, LD, DVD, and Blu-ray anime and live-action releases from the US, Japan, Hong Kong, the UK and Australia.
Old 10-15-2014, 05:20 PM   #1564

Oct 2014
West Pluto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingraman View Post
I'm sure that you made some bootlegger very happy... <sigh> Heck, I did with one of my first anime purchases more than 20 years ago. ;_; Since then I've been a buyer of legit VHS, LD, DVD, and Blu-ray anime and live-action releases from the US, Japan, Hong Kong, the UK and Australia.

Bought it at comic con, doesn't seem like a bootleg?
Add me on:
3ds: 3496-9789-9334
Psn: hellodad85
Steam: thanous63
Xbl: tsrthanous
Facebook.com/tigersingh63
Old 10-16-2014, 03:17 AM   #1565
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

I watched Kiki's Delivery Service tonight in order to determine if I want to purchase it on Blu-ray when it is released next month. Much to my surprise, I not only loved the film, but I truly think it is one of the best films to ever be made. It's so incredibly different and fun!

Wow! Totally exceeded my expectations!
La double vie de moi.
iScottie's Storefront
Old 10-16-2014, 04:09 AM   #1566
Special Member

Aug 2010
Quito, Ecuador

Quote:
Originally Posted by iScottie View Post
I watched Kiki's Delivery Service tonight in order to determine if I want to purchase it on Blu-ray when it is released next month. Much to my surprise, I not only loved the film, but I truly think it is one of the best films to ever be made. It's so incredibly different and fun!

Wow! Totally exceeded my expectations!
Glad you liked it! It's one of my favorites and definitely one of Miyazaki's best.
Pre-Ordered: Mr. Peabody & Sherman, Edge of Tomorrow, How To Train Your Dragon 2, Game of Thrones: S4, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug EE, Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke, The Wind Rises.
Twitter.com/maac027

www.a113animation.com
Old 10-16-2014, 04:09 AM   #1567
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Kiki's Delivery Service is one of my favorites.

How can you be surprised though? You were really disappointed in that many Ghibli films? To me, the majority of the films from Studio Ghibli are masterpieces. Especially the ones from Hayao Miyazaki (though I also love Isao Takahata).
Old 10-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #1568
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoodermin View Post
Glad you liked it! It's one of my favorites and definitely one of Miyazaki's best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenPion View Post
Kiki's Delivery Service is one of my favorites.

How can you be surprised though? You were really disappointed in that many Ghibli films? To me, the majority of the films from Studio Ghibli are masterpieces. Especially the ones from Hayao Miyazaki (though I also love Isao Takahata).
I do not dislike any of the Studio Ghibli films that I have seen, but there are a few of them that did not do much for me. I also seem to connect more with the fantasy-driven themes, which probably has something to do with it, as well. My ranking looks something like this.

[Show spoiler]01. My Neighbor Totoro
02. Kiki's Delivery Service
03. The Secret World of Arrietty
04. Howl's Moving Castle
05. The Cat Returns
06. Castle in the Sky
07. Grave of the Fireflies
08. From Up on Poppy Hill
09. Ponyo
10. Whisper of the Heart
11. Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind
La double vie de moi.
iScottie's Storefront
Old 10-18-2014, 05:55 PM   #1569
Expert Member

May 2014
The Idyllic Amish Farmlands of Lancaster County, PA

Well, third time's a charm, I guess - I got my second replacement Nausicaa Hardcover set in the mail from Rightstuf, and it survived the trip without damage this time - but it was still very poorly packaged. They had wrapped Bubble wrap around the set a few times like I asked, but they didn't bother to tape it up securely... then they just put it inside a big box without any further packing, so it just bounced around loosely inside the shipping box when you shook it. The package arrived with the shipping box all crushed and softened up on every side because the inside wasn't packed firmly, so I feared the worst before I opened it. But amazingly it survived, so I finally got a good copy. Only took three months, three shipments from RS, and 2 RMA shipments back for me to finally get it.

[Show spoiler]

[Show spoiler]

Girls With Guns - Now a.k.a. Girls With Glasses!
I ♥ Meganekko! GWG of the Week: Touko from Kara no Kyoukai
Old 10-18-2014, 06:19 PM   #1570
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Glad you were able to get a good looking copy of the set! It's an amazing release. I need to sit down and read it all. Maybe soon.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #1571
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Well, third time's a charm, I guess - I got my second replacement Nausicaa Hardcover set in the mail from Rightstuf, and it survived the trip without damage this time - but it was still very poorly packaged.
That's a shame that it was poorly packaged. I'm always surprised at how well RightStuf packs shipments compared to other retailers. Then again, I've only ever ordered a few Blu-rays and/or paperback anime titles at a time from them, so I've never had anything heavy arrive from them yet.
Old 10-18-2014, 11:44 PM   #1572
Expert Member

May 2014
The Idyllic Amish Farmlands of Lancaster County, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
That's a shame that it was poorly packaged. I'm always surprised at how well RightStuf packs shipments compared to other retailers. Then again, I've only ever ordered a few Blu-rays and/or paperback anime titles at a time from them, so I've never had anything heavy arrive from them yet.
yeah, they do a good job with packing anime Blu-rays and DVDs, but they seem to have no clue how to pack heavy items, especially if they are fragile, easily damaged collectibles like this. I will say, I did get an unsolicited call from Rightstuf at work yesterday on my cell phone (not sure if I ever gave them my cell number, or if they had taken it off the caller ID or what) specifically to ask me if the package arrived safely this time, so that was a nice touch. I suppose they did that because I raised such a stink with customer service on the phone, on Chat, and on their "Rate our Service" webpage - they sent me one of those "How'd we do? Picked and Packed By" postcard with a link to that page along with my second shipment, which had also arrived damaged, and I got on there and wrote a tragic novel for a reply, lol!
Girls With Guns - Now a.k.a. Girls With Glasses!
I ♥ Meganekko! GWG of the Week: Touko from Kara no Kyoukai

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 10-18-2014 at 11:50 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:56 AM   #1573

Mar 2010

Since Princess Kaguya is going to be released on BD in Japan in December, and the film is out in theaters right now here in the US, how long would it be until it hits BD? GKids usual turnaround is about 4 months after their official release, but we know with Ghibli it is different. Would we have to wait until next fall, like with The Wind Rises?

I'm asking because there's no way in hell the movie is going to play here in Nowhere, USA and although I'm willing to wait, I don't want to wait until its been two full years since it opened in Japan (and I can't afford to import)
Old 10-23-2014, 05:06 PM   #1574
Power Member

Jul 2012
TX, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.F View Post
Since Princess Kaguya is going to be released on BD in Japan in December, and the film is out in theaters right now here in the US, how long would it be until it hits BD? GKids usual turnaround is about 4 months after their official release, but we know with Ghibli it is different. Would we have to wait until next fall, like with The Wind Rises?

I'm asking because there's no way in hell the movie is going to play here in Nowhere, USA and although I'm willing to wait, I don't want to wait until its been two full years since it opened in Japan (and I can't afford to import)

Most likely Spring, but it's hard to say as this is the first Ghibli film that GKids has distributed with a US theatrical release prior to its BD release in Japan and the rest of Asia. So there may be a bit of a delay.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #1575

Oct 2011
UK

Not sure if it's been posted but the Miyazaki blu-ray collection has been delayed again, now its scheduled to be released on the 8th of December.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #1576
Power Member

Jul 2012
TX, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eviltwinz93 View Post
Not sure if it's been posted but the Miyazaki blu-ray collection has been delayed again, now its scheduled to be released on the 8th of December.

Just to note that you are talking about the UK box set release by StudioCanal UK. There is no North America box set planned at this time (this thread focuses on NA releases).

Though besides the JP and UK box sets, a HK Box set is also planned.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:13 AM   #1577

Feb 2012
Gondoa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywildcat View Post
Just to note that you are talking about the UK box set release by StudioCanal UK. There is no North America box set planned at this time (this thread focuses on NA releases).

Though besides the JP and UK box sets, a HK Box set is also planned.
Madman Entertainment will also be releasing The Collected Works of Hayao Miyazaki in Australia.

I would be stunned if this set sets a release in the US, as Disney do not own the rights to Lupin III, which is being released by Discotek. So they definitely wouldn't be able to produce a complete set. Madman own the rights to Lupin III in Australia, so they have the full set of licences, and the same for Studio Canal in the UK.
Take a peek at my Studio Ghibli Tumblr blog: Oh-Totoro
Old 10-26-2014, 03:21 AM   #1578
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
Victoria, BC

Can't wait for Princess Mononoke.
Home Theater Geeks Overcome Bond quotes USA the greatest country in the world? Immigrant Song Hall of the Mountain King
"Your intellect may be confused," he once wrote, "but your emotions will never lie to you." Roger Ebert Physical media forever!
Old Today, 07:19 AM   #1579

Aug 2011
USA
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneywildcat View Post
I came to this thread to ask if such a box set was planned. I've heard the American Ghibli releases have better transfers than the UK ones. Rather than replace each of the UK editions I've bought so far, it would be easier to buy a box set. Any idea if an American release is down the road?
I've seen teams suck before, but they were the suckiest bunch of sucks who ever sucked.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime