Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Treme: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

View Poll Results: Rate the movie (only after you've seen it!)
One Star 1 2.70%
Two Stars 1 2.70%
Three Stars 5 13.51%
Four Stars 19 51.35%
Five Stars 11 29.73%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-16-2014, 10:49 PM   #401
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
Orange County, CA

Just watched 'The Spectacular Now', and I was quite taken with it:

Quote:
"P.S. - I don't know if this was due a long time ago. Probably was. That's fine. It may be too late for this essay. But it's not too late for me."

What a wonderful little film this turned out to be. It was nothing like I was expecting, and felt like a very real and real high school relationship, and the problems that many of us face. This is 'Say Anything...' for a new generation. First love, new love, ex-girlfriends, broken families, and the uncertainty of the future were all tackled head on, and with ease by its leads, Shailene Woodley and Miles Teller.

The two leads are absolutely perfect together, and they play off each other so well. They share a very real and warming connection, and you're rooting for them the whole time. Be it Sutter dealing with his alcohol and father issues head on, or Aimee's first foray into love and saving Sutter, it all just clicks and feels so perfectly real. These two are ones to look out for, because they will have excellent careers ahead of them if they keep making smart choices like this with their films.

The script is great, balancing the drama and reality of the hardships of young life and love, while also alleviating it with nice little doses of character and comedy. The whole thing feels like a perfectly balanced, and well executed. While I think it begins to drag a bit towards the end, it's nothing that really effects the film, until they decide to gloss over a major event in the third act. How they could so quickly gloss over that is quite strange, but it doesn't effect the film too much in the end.

There's so much to love with this film. It feels like something from the 1980s, and like a cool companion piece to 'Say Anything...', which will now be a new double feature for me. The leads are so good together, and really bring a sense of realism to their characters, and with a script that gives them so much to work with, they knocked it out of the park. This is great film, no way around.

4.5/5
"Movies can and do have tremendous influence in shaping young lives in the realm of entertainment towards the ideals and objectives of normal adulthood."
Walt Disney

Follow me:
Twitter: @pj_campbell/Instagram: pj_campbell/Podcast: Reel Film Chatter
Old 01-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #402
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
OH

This was pretty good.I guess we've seen this story before. But it was sweetly and honestly told. Not great but certainly worth a watch.
7/10
Buy/Sale/Trade
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=13688
New UV codes for sale or trade :Have:Walking WIth Dinosaurs UV/Anchorman 2/ wolf of wall street / Nebraska/ Mandela/ Homefront UV/ Oldboy SD UV from DVD/ Gravity/Riddick/DIANA (vudu)/Machete 2/
Want:BadAss 2 UV/ Great Expectations UV/ Far and away uv
Old 01-17-2014, 12:08 AM   #403
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2010

I'm so nervous about this, I have seen people praise it and give it scathing reviews, along with a handful of "meh" responses.

Definitely waiting for it to pop up on Netflix instant.
City Is My Church
Old 01-17-2014, 12:13 AM   #404
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Raleigh, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snicket View Post
I'm so nervous about this, I have seen people praise it and give it scathing reviews, along with a handful of "meh" responses.

Definitely waiting for it to pop up on Netflix instant.
Definitely would be interested in your take.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:48 PM   #405
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

The Spectacular Now is probably the best high school movie that I've seen in a couple of decades.

I love how The Spectacular Now plays out a matter-of-fact and down-to-Earth approach to incidents in the film that would have been overemphasized or used as preachy moments in lesser movies. I love the movie's practical representation of economic realities and of the day-to-day financial hurdles of its characters. I love how the movie is adept at depicting teen awkwardness and teen discomfort when it comes to moments when assertiveness is necessary.

On a surface level, I was drawn in by the Athens, Georgia location because I've spent a lot of time in that town. When I was in high school back in the 1980s, we used to play the high school in the movie (Clarke Central High School) in football, and I've driven down the main highway stretch in the movie more times than I can count. I realized that the Wuxtry location was a fake location because I've bought music from the real store so many times.
...and, yes, I've been in the Georgia Bar before.

This one belongs in my Top Five of 2013. I only rented this from Redbox, and I want to marinate on it for a while before I decide to purchase it, but I'm impressed.

I'm probably far removed from the target audience, because I remember the days when Jennifer Jason Leigh (Sutter's mom in the film) was a teen star herself when I came of age. Still, this one hits all of the right notes.

Well done, well done...

Last edited by The Great Owl; 02-23-2014 at 11:33 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies