Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Transformers: Age of Extinction (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$22.49
Sherlock Holmes: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$123.99
Spartacus: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$108.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ghost in the Shell (Blu-ray)
$14.49
A.I. Artificial Intelligence (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$75.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Spectacular Now (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Planes, Trains & Automobiles (Blu-ray)
$4.88
Treme: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$23.99
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Fairy Tail: Part 12 (Blu-ray)
$31.69
Nightbreed (Blu-ray)
$20.95
Treme: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$20.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 10-12-2014, 04:45 PM   #1321
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosifl View Post
Top Gun had much better depth I thought (not surprising since they had been planning to do a theatrical re-release when they ordered the conversion for that one). Predator was competently done in the sense that I didn't notice too many mistakes with leaves and such being at the wrong depth, but the deep background looked only slightly further back than the foreground, and if you take off your glasses you can confirm there's very little separation between the two images for background stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbug View Post
I finally watched this and was underwhelmed by the 3D. It was a glasses off/on time as I didn't find much depth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by levcore View Post
I also agree, the Top Gun conversion was superior to this one.
Agreed and glad I'm not alone on this. The auto conversion technology has a long way to go in my opinion, as this looks like a mild 3D film in most shots, and underwhelming for the 3D except for that shot on the log, that looked strong in 3D and was probably manually converted to explain the results.

I know people love Predator the movie, it's just deserving of much stronger 3D IMO. Just put in the jungle scenes of Avatar's 3D and you'll know this is mild 3D in comparison, regardless of how the 3D was achieved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFAlien View Post
No. It's the same super-DNRed transfer from the Ultimate Hunter Edition, where everyone looks like a wax figure. The 3D might distract you from the lack of detail, though.

@Cactus; I was referring to the US edition, in which the 2D disc is just a DVD. The 2D, HD version is on the 3D disc and is the UHE transfer.

Lucky Swedes >.>
Carl Weathers' face does look like it was smoothed out a lot in the opening meeting with Arnold. The 3D during that scene is also a perfect example of the mild "barely there" 3D. I sat at a few distances to see if it would look better further back or closer, and sadly not.
Old 10-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #1322
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Respectfully disagree. This ain't no 3D masterpiece but it was far better than some other 3D flicks I've seen recently. Take the shot of Carl Weathers sitting at the table during the credits: there's another table and chair set way front of him with some coke bottles on top, and on the left there's a doorway with some grating over it and the background beyond the railings is clearly delineated, there's also another doorway behind showing a red wall which again has some depth to it.

I'll freely admit that the biggest closeups aren't blessed with a lot of depth on their faces but such shots don't make up a big portion of the film. What does make up a big portion of the film is the foliage of the jungle which is used to excellent effect, with the palm leaves, vines and trees all creating some really nice layers for people to move in and out of. The conversion runs out of steam when things get visibly darker during the third act, but that's pretty much par for the course.

Meh, I loved it.

Last edited by Geoff D; 10-13-2014 at 01:52 AM. Reason: wrong shot of carl weathers. some damn fool accused you of being the best
Thanks given by:
DuranFanWI (10-17-2014), Paul H (10-12-2014)
Old 10-17-2014, 04:04 PM   #1323

Apr 2010
UK

Zavvi exclusive steelbook coming in December - http://www.steelbookbluray.com/2014/...e-in-december/

Old 10-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #1324

Oct 2011

I guess this was the last DTV 3D conversion from Fox. A shame as they were improving.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:51 AM   #1325
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
I guess this was the last DTV 3D conversion from Fox. A shame as they were improving.
I disagree if you a re going to convert a film do it well (eg: Titanic) or don't do it at all.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:16 AM   #1326

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
I disagree if you a re going to convert a film do it well (eg: Titanic) or don't do it at all.
I agree but some movies are never going to get a serious conversion so there is no harm in doing it for novelties sake at DTV budget level.
Old 10-18-2014, 09:19 AM   #1327
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermoth View Post
I agree but some movies are never going to get a serious conversion so there is no harm in doing it for novelties sake at DTV budget level.
I'm okay with 2d then (in fact excluding Titanic 2d is always my preference if the film wasn't intended for 3d), but I get what your saying.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #1328

Apr 2010
UK

I'm assuming this steelbook is the same DNR'd version from 2010?
Old 10-26-2014, 12:19 AM   #1329
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2008
The Grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by THGhost View Post
I'm assuming this steelbook is the same DNR'd version from 2010?
Sadly yes.
Thanks given by:
THGhost (10-27-2014)
Old 10-26-2014, 12:25 AM   #1330

Apr 2010
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
Sadly yes.
Oh well. Thanks.
Old 10-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #1331
Blu-ray Samurai