Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
16 hrs ago
Alien Anthology and Prometheus (Blu-ray)
$19.98

Godzilla 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
12 hrs ago
Edge of Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$14.99
21 hrs ago
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99

The Wizard of Oz 3D (Blu-ray)
$46.70
3 hrs ago
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
1 hr ago
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
$14.99
21 hrs ago
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$9.99
21 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99
8 hrs ago
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 06-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #141

Jan 2010
New Jersey

yeah the opening song is great
i like when the kids leave the theater and the one says "now that we wasted 80 cents.."
movies sure were cheap
Old 06-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #142
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2009

does this come with the poster like the dvd did?
Old 06-05-2013, 07:51 PM   #143
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson King View Post
does this come with the poster like the dvd did?
No.
Old 06-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #144
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
Sunrise, Fl

Quote:
Originally Posted by koover View Post
This is your typical so bad it's good, 50's monster cheese fest. I forgot just how halariously bad this movie was. I loved it.
Has anyone ever seen such an abrupt ending to a movie before? Just classic.
How about that swell, neato opening theme song too? So out of place.
PQ was outstanding and the audio is what I expected with a LPCM mono track.
Totally disagree. It is not so bad it is good. It IS good. Sure FX are primitive and it was a different, more 'corny' world in 1958, but no way is this a movie that is 'so bad it is good'

Widescreen, color, a couple of actors who later gained various levels of fame. An actually decent pop song and the concept was unique up till then and the narrative makes sense and it some some solid thrills and creepy parts for that era.

a straight up GOOD movie.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:53 AM   #145
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Speaking of posters, check out this wonderfully gruesome Italian design for, uh, Mortal Fluid, it's like a Tales from the Crypt cover!

Old 06-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #146
Special Member

Aug 2009
Surprise Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty View Post
Totally disagree. It is not so bad it is good. It IS good. Sure FX are primitive and it was a different, more 'corny' world in 1958, but no way is this a movie that is 'so bad it is good'

Widescreen, color, a couple of actors who later gained various levels of fame. An actually decent pop song and the concept was unique up till then and the narrative makes sense and it some some solid thrills and creepy parts for that era.

a straight up GOOD movie.
Well, we can respectfully agree to disagree on some of your points. Maybe my choice of words should have been "film" instead of movie?
Sure, it was widescreen and in color, but what does that have to do with anything? There's a bunch of great B&W titles that are full screen and are great films. They're not widescreen nor in color, but that's not what makes a film. That's a presentation.
Who said anything about the effects? That would be you. I thought the effects were great for the time. At times, they were hilarious compared to todays standards, but that doesn't even fit into the equation. It was the era and technology.
Budding young actors has nothing to do with anything. It was McQueens first staring role as most of us know, but?
Descent little pop song because Burt Bacharach wrote it? Well maybe for a beach blanket bingo movie. Its there, nothing i can do about it except bring a smile to my face because its funny/hilarious. You knew what you were getting into once you listened to the opening theme song. Not campy, but Cheese.
Bottom line, as I stated, I loved it and its's a great addition to my collection. I'm glad I bought it.
Epson 6010 3D projector
Elite Cinetension electric 120" screen
Samsung UN55C800 55"
Denon 3808CI
7.2 Def Tech speakers with SVS PB2000 & PB12 NSD
Oppo BDP-93
APC J-10 power conditioner
Other stuff
Old 06-06-2013, 05:12 AM   #147
Power Member

Aug 2010

I haven't seen this since I was a kid, but my memory of it was that it was a cornball, "We teenagers need to save the world!" story. The FX were a lot of fun, but I didn't see it in widescreen. It was on the Creature Features on Sunday afternoon on TV. Ordered it on the Amazon sale. We'll see how it holds up.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #148
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2007
Katy, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by koover View Post
This is your typical so bad it's good, 50's monster cheese fest. I forgot just how halariously bad this movie was. I loved it.
Has anyone ever seen such an abrupt ending to a movie before? Just classic.
How about that swell, neato opening theme song too? So out of place.
PQ was outstanding and the audio is what I expected with a LPCM mono track.
A lot of 50's sci-fi was cheesy, but what I liked about The Blob was how straight they played it despite the absurd premise. Steve(n) McQueen was obviously way too old to be playing a high-schooler, but I dug the way his character took charge and tried to rally the town to stop the blob before things got too out of hand. And unlike a lot of other movies, the cops and parents don't take the entire film before finally believing the teenagers.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 AM   #149
Special Member

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_ME View Post
A lot of 50's sci-fi was cheesy, but what I liked about The Blob was how straight they played it despite the absurd premise. Steve(n) McQueen was obviously way too old to be playing a high-schooler, but I dug the way his character took charge and tried to rally the town to stop the blob before things got too out of hand. And unlike a lot of other movies, the cops and parents don't take the entire film before finally believing the teenagers.
Just watched this the other night, actually. THE BLOB could never be called a "great" film, but it is certainly a fun film despite its flaws, most of which are due to its low budget. One of the most noticeable drawbacks is the low number of camera setups, with many scenes playing out in long takes without cuts to closeups and reaction shots, and often characters are not facing the camera when they're speaking. Some of the post-dubbing is also pretty obvious. Special effects are obviously minimal but effective enough in the context of this story. Acting is generally adequate.

However, the script is nicely structured and written to take advantage of production limitations, the characters are surprisingly believable for a no-budget horror quickie, and the film manages to capture the flavor of small-town 1950s America in a way that Hollywood rarely if ever could do. The extreme clarity of focus and color on Criterion's Blu-ray make it just as interesting for the vivid record of 1950s everyday life (filmed largely on location rather than in a studio) as it is for the story itself (perhaps even more so)!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:45 PM   #150
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Velvet View Post
the vivid record of 1950s everyday life
'Red, ripe watermelon - 4 cents a pound!'
Old 06-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #151
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomland View Post
This Bluray is full blocking(compression)-artefacts like "Koyaanisqatsi". Sorry, but Criterion is in deeply need to handle those compression-problems. At the first moment it looks fantastic, but then you see artefacts instead of grain.
Oh, is that what's happening?

I've just watched this, and though much of it was very good, some scenes were submerged in fuzz.

Strange thing is, that in many cases the amount of fuzz in the image changed abruptly with a change of camera angle — I assumed it might have been to do with the film stock used on specific shots.

When the lighting, focus and detail are essentially the same, but only the camera angle changes, how does one shot have compression issues, and the next one doesn't? (Genuine question, not trying to argue.)
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 PM   #152
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
Oh, is that what's happening?

I've just watched this, and though much of it was very good, some scenes were submerged in fuzz.

Strange thing is, that in many cases the amount of fuzz in the image changed abruptly with a change of camera angle — I assumed it might have been to do with the film stock used on specific shots.

I have not seen the BD in question, but this can be due to any number of reasons. If it's shots with optical effects, then it could be because these are generally a couple of generations lower than the rest of the print (due to the technical standard of the day).
It could also be a simple question of the lenses used or the focus not being absolutely right (which was done manually by the focus puller by measuring the distance and adjusting accordingly). THE BLOB was, after all, a low-budget B-movie production.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Blood and Black Lace, Kill Baby Kill, L'avventura, Don't Look Now (remaster), The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979), Carnival of Souls, Cat People (1942), I walked with a Zombie, Don't Go in the House.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:26 PM   #153
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Send a message via AIM to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via MSN to deepbreathsanddeath Send a message via Skype™ to deepbreathsanddeath

I was really happy with my The Blob blu-ray. Very grainy much of the time and indeed fuzzy in some scenes but it never looked unnatural or like a compression issue. Just looked like the affects of shooting a low budget b-movie in the 50's and not having many cameras.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:38 PM   #154
Blu-ray Knight

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Speaking of posters, check out this wonderfully gruesome Italian design for, uh, Mortal Fluid, it's like a Tales from the Crypt cover!
[Show spoiler]
That poster rules.

The Criterion Blu-ray of The Blob is outstanding. I've loved the movie since childhood, and the high definition treatment exceeded all my expectations. I've always marveled at how such a low-key concept flourished into such a phenomenal film.
Old 06-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #155
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Thomsen View Post
I have not seen the BD in question, but this can be due to any number of reasons. If it's shots with optical effects, then it could be because these are generally a couple of generations lower than the rest of the print (due to the technical standard of the day).
It could also be a simple question of the lenses used or the focus not being absolutely right (which was done manually by the focus puller by measuring the distance and adjusting accordingly). THE BLOB was, after all, a low-budget B-movie production.
Yeah, not added grain from optical shots or title cards, nor due to the shot being out of focus (which isn't going to give you the look I'm trying to describe, anyway). Most of the transfer looks quite impressive.

These moments aren't deal-killers, just a little puzzling. I'm hesitant to call them noise, because I'm not always sure that everyone means the same thing by the phrase; sometimes it just looks like the amount of visible grain has dramatically increased, and then it goes away again when the camera angle changes.

Anyway. I've seen several films now with transfers where this happens, from different studios; I'm not bagging it, just curious why.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #156
Special Member

Dec 2010
Denmark

Could be optical blow-up to get a different framing, like when you need to cut to a medium shot but only shot a total, in low-budget movies sometimes you would just get around the issue by enlarging part of the frames you got on hand - thereby also increasing the visible grain.
Most wanted blu-ray upgrades: Kafka, The Limey, Suspiria (remaster), Castle of Blood, The Horrible Dr. Hichcock, Blood and Black Lace, Kill Baby Kill, L'avventura, Don't Look Now (remaster), The Changeling (1980), Ringu, Ju-on, Miracle Mile, The Honeymoon Killers, Man Bites Dog, Cannibal Holocaust, Creature (The Titan Find), Irrèversible, The Fearless Vampire Killers, The Black Hole, The Sentinel (1979), Carnival of Souls, Cat People (1942), I walked with a Zombie, Don't Go in the House.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:59 PM   #157
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

I watched this yesterday as a double-feature with the remake, and there was one minor 'flub' I hadn't noticed before - the actor playing Bert gets his foot caught in a cable when he exits the doctor's living room, and drags it with him almost out of the room!
Old 10-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #158
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2013
Germany

did stream this at hulu. it starts pretty promising in the beginning. but gets a little boring in the middle... dont feel like i should own this one. but it was a decent "fun" movie
S/T Nightbreed 3 Disc Limited Edition ! + Drive Novamedia + +Kimchi Iron Man Steelbook 1/4

check out my sell thread:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....4#post10054294
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....0#post10138080
Old 10-23-2014, 04:54 PM   #159

Aug 2007
Virginia
Send a message via AIM to JMDiaz718 Send a message via Yahoo to JMDiaz718

One of the few monster movies that terrified me as a kid. Yeah it's dated, but watching it as a fan, you can see how it would be terrifying back in the 50s/60s. I've read articles about how freaked out audiences were in it's initial release. And I tend to like how the Blob looks in this version. While I love the remake, the Blob always looks like a pile of intestines.

The 1958 version is one of my favorite flicks to throw on in October.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:36 PM   #160
Expert Member

Apr 2009
Mexico

You think one day we could see the 1972's sequel "Beware! The Blob" on Blu-Ray ?? Maybe Anchor Bay, Image Entertainment or Twilight Time could release it
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America