Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Hurricane (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$47.87
Star Wars: Rebels - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Walking Dead: Seasons 1-4 (Blu-ray)
$68.99
The Originals: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Team America: World Police (Blu-ray)
$9.98
Pitfall (Blu-ray)
$15.99
My Fair Lady (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Escape from Alcatraz (Blu-ray)
$9.98
A Child Is Waiting (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Hammer Horror Classics, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$38.47
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-31-2015, 05:07 PM   #1381
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobe1969 View Post
Fxxx the commentaries. I listened to one once and it was the most boring bs by people I had no idea who the hell they were ever
Well, as far as commentaries go generally, I'd say those on The Simpsons releases are quite good. I mean, as someone who's given up on most tracks (they're just too time consuming, unless I'm cooking or cleaning while listening) I've probably listened to just about every one The Simpsons staff have recorded.

At worst, they are lively and funny in and of themselves, and sometimes they make the episode funnier. (The "Monster put in wallet" joke gains something when you know that it was legendary among the writers).

Even better, sometimes they're quite insightful, and feature some very interesting anecdotes. In particular, I love the track for season 5's "Cape Feare", which features one of the writers (Jon Vitti?) sharing some very candid memories about the show's creation.

As for "who the hell they were"...it's easy enough to find out, and anyway, that often has no correlation to how enjoyable a track is. At least in my experience. I mean, I really admire William Friedkin's work, but I never have to hear another of his "radio play" commentary tracks.

Oliver Stone's track on the recent U Turn release was also quite listenable, in that uniquely Oliver Stone way. One imagines a drinking game consisting only of drinking every time he mentions animals or demons within, or some hardship he experienced making it. Love that guy.
Thanks given by:
Infernal King (08-01-2015), Region_unlocked (08-01-2015)
Old 07-31-2015, 06:37 PM   #1382

Aug 2010

If there's a dime to be made, a studio won't pass that up. Obviously the numbers just don't add up for FOX.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:34 AM   #1383
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

I have a sneaky suspicion... but no way to corroborate... but I wonder if royalties don't play a part. Typically royalties for home video are a different contract than for syndication. That's how we get shows in syndication on TV intact BUT on home video with replaced music.

So... I'm wondering... if FOX would have to pay out royalties to the cast for DVD/Blu-ray sales that they don't have to pay for the online streaming and syndicated versions?

Just a wild guess... but something to make you go hmmm...
Me am not on Blu-ray forum.
Where I go when I'm not here!
Old 08-01-2015, 03:42 AM   #1384
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Could be.

In the end if they didn't think they'd make more money from Simpson's World than discs they wouldn't have done this. However the math works out, money is the reason.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:25 AM   #1385
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
USA

I'm not the only one who noticed Season 17 had half the sales of Season 16?

Could be part of the problem is that they're releasing sets smack in the middle of the show's dark age.
You can't stop progress.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:10 AM   #1386
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Guycott View Post

Could be part of the problem is that they're releasing sets smack in the middle of the show's dark age.
Well since Season 17 was the worst season until 24, that isn't surprising.

Fox really should have stuck to the 2 seasons per year format instead of reverting back to the one a year crap.
Thanks given by:
Mobe1969 (08-01-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 05:17 AM   #1387
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Guycott View Post

Even at half the sales of Season 16, Season 17 still did well for a TV show (especially a half-hour show). Plenty of shows have had much worse sales from the beginning but continue to get releases every year. Fox stopped releasing The Simpsons because while it isn't popular enough to get huge sales it is popular enough that many people may be willing to switch to streaming rather than give up on the show entirely. With less popular shows if they stopped releasing discs, most customers wouldn't switch to streaming they'd just stop watching.
Streaming and downloads are the death of the preservation of the arts.

Last edited by PenguinMaster; 08-01-2015 at 05:40 AM.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:42 PM   #1388

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz05 View Post
Ask yourselves this: how many CDs have you bought this year?
Hundreds.

Because **** downloading.

Thanks given by:
balthazar_bee (08-01-2015), Mobe1969 (08-01-2015), TripleHBK (08-11-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #1389
Blu-ray Knight

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrunter View Post
Hundreds.

Because **** downloading.

none but i never been a CD collector but i am a movie collector so i have a ton of Blu-Rays pushing 1000 now i love getting a new Blu-Ray title. music and movies is 2 totally different beasts. You can't compare them. You just can't
Old 08-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #1390

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Minion View Post
None. Yet.

Why? Because I don't want any of the mainstream albums being released today. I bought CD's in the past for 1 song and spent far too much money. I still buy the odd one for a film score to add to my physical collection, but for the price vs the quantity of quality, CD's no longer hold much value for me.

But trying to claim digital is better for movies and TV shows because CD's have died is a straw man argument. There are too many differences to rehash here. Ultimately it's about value and when I can buy the entire motion picture with bonus materials on physical media for half or even less than I can buy a CD of just the (incomplete) score, there's something wrong with the market evaluation.

Sadly, for all the whoring out the Simpsons has done over the years, to now deny fans who WANT to spend money something is utterly stupid. It's now all about greed in getting subscriptions and I, for one, will never be a subscriber. Hell I'm not even able to subscribe where I live anyways. So the studios who are fighting so hard against piracy are now forcing their fans with money to embrace it.
Ah yes. The tried-and-true "Arrested Development" defense.

20 years old and still going strong. Kudos.

"Waaaaaah. I once bought an Arrested Development CD from Record Town in the mall for $20 and it only had one good song. I now deserve to download a lifetime of free music to get back at The Man."

*yawn*
Old 08-01-2015, 02:57 PM   #1391
Expert Member

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Quote:
None, but I bought a bunch of records.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #1392

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wernski View Post
None, but I bought a bunch of records.
*golf clap*

We're all very impressed.
Old 08-01-2015, 03:03 PM   #1393
Special Member

Feb 2011

Quote:
Ah yes. The tried-and-true "Arrested Development" defense.

20 years old and still going strong. Kudos.

"Waaaaaah. I once bought an Arrested Development CD from Record Town in the mall for $20 and it only had one good song. I now deserve to download a lifetime of free music to get back at The Man."

*yawn*
I like that album
Old 08-11-2015, 01:35 PM   #1394

Jul 2014
England

I kind of thought maybe they'd reverse the decision, or at least do blu rays. I guess not?

I don't really understand the logic, because the people who are going to pay to watch them online or download them aren't the same people who buy the dvds are they? I've only ever once paid to download a video, and that was because the dvd has massive cuts. But i have something like 600 blu rays, 300 dvds and probably at least 300 tv boxsets. (Those numbers are complete guesses, i really have no idea how many i have just that ive got boxes of the things everywhere!) I've no interest in downloading, though i do watch the odd movie online, and not because im a technophobe. I have a degree in computer engineering so i can just about manage to download a movie if i felt like it.

But i want good quality, the quality of downloads/streaming is nowhere near good enough to do on a regular basis. And i don't want DRM. Whilst there's DRM on files, i won't pay a bean to download anything. I want to know when i've bought something, i've always got it. Not rely on the company i've paid not going bankrupt and the thing not working anymore. I want to be able to move files freely between computers and hard drives, so i can watch them where i want to watch them. I definitely wouldn't pay a subscription to watch a tv show online and have no access to any episodes i've paid for. Just not happening.

As for cd's, i always buy them. I haven't even played a cd in about 10 years, i just rip them into itunes and wmp to have on my ipod, pc and tablet. But i still buy them. Never buy anything off itunes, the quality is atrocious and they're usually more expensive. Anybody who would willing pay more money, for a vastly inferior product, completely baffles me. How desperate to look cool and modern can people get?
Thanks given by:
drak b (08-11-2015), Mel823 (08-12-2015), Petey Parker (08-11-2015), RickWJ324 (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 02:02 PM   #1395
Expert Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankyouforthevenom View Post
I don't really understand the logic, because the people who are going to pay to watch them online or download them aren't the same people who buy the dvds are they?
In some ways that's kind of the point. There are likely many people that would prefer DVD or Blu-ray, but will still support streaming or downloads if that's the only option. Fox wants everyone to switch to streaming and downloads and the only way to make that happen is to eliminate the other options. Even if it is the only option I will never support streaming or downloads, but unfortunately I think many people will watch content in whatever form the studios give them.
Streaming and downloads are the death of the preservation of the arts.
Thanks given by:
movieben1138 (08-11-2015), StingingVelvet (08-11-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 05:15 PM   #1396

Aug 2015

Quote:
Spotify exists. YouTube exists. The only way an album can entice me is if it's some super-deluxe edition, and even then, a lot of the time those are on Spotify too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottweiler30 View Post
Not to mention what's going to happen to the 65 year old woman who wants to watch Dads Army. 'Don't worry nan, I'll teach you how to stream it to the handheld device of your choice'.

Surely there will always be a need for physical media. God I hope so.
DVDs are going to continue to survive, I'm sure.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:39 PM   #1397
Expert Member

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Quote:
*golf clap*

We're all very impressed.
Excuse me for answering a question truthfully and adding my counterpoint to the point he was making.

Seriously, you just answered the same question like two posts above me ("hundreds"). So it's cool for you to answer, but not me? Do you have a thing against records, or what's your problem here, exactly?

Last edited by Wernski; 08-12-2015 at 05:12 AM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
blu, fourteenth, ray, simpsons