Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Rio Grande (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
Bound (Blu-ray)
$14.98

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 06-13-2010, 04:00 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007
Default LG BD590 Blu-ray player (July 2010 Home Theater magazine review)

LG BD590 Blu-ray player (July 2010 Home Theater magazine review)

For those that are interested in a LG BD590 BLU-RAY player there is a review on the player in the July 2010 Home Theater magazine on pages 56-58. The LG BD590 has a built in 250-GB hard drive for plenty of storage for BD-LIVE or for downloaded HD or SD movies (downloaded HD movies are lower quality compared to Blu-ray discs). The video quality performance on the LG BD590 is not as good as quality as an OPPO BDP-83. The load times on the LG BD590 were slower compared to the LG BD390 but around the same speed as an OPPO BDP-83 according to the Home Theater magazine review. When I recommend Blu-ray players to people I normally recommend the OPPO BDP-83, certain Panasonic models, and some Sony models. OPPO, Panasonic, and Sony offer fast and reliable firmware updates with good performance. OPPO and Panasonic also have better video processors compared to most other low cost Blu-ray players on the market. I have never been that interested in Samsung or LG players since I am always reading about playback problems on certain models. Samsung and LG fix most the problems with a future firmware update but sometimes it can take over a month for the software to be released. Samsung and LG keep improving on their Blu-ray players and hopefully playback problems on some models will be fixed faster.

The following are some quotes from the July 2010 Home Theater magazine review on the LG BD590 Blu-ray player (Review located on pages 56-58)

"Although it's slightly slower than the BD390, the BD590 is very fast. Load times with Java-intensive Blu-ray titles were right in line with my OPPO BDP-83, which is fast."

"Unfortunately, I ran into some playback issues. When I tested the layer change on the DVD of Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones, the player refused to advance to chapter 28."

"But at the 0:57:52 mark - about 3 minutes before the layer change - the disc froze."

"I also started to have some perplexing issues with Blu-ray Discs, particularly Pixar titles. When the player was set to 24p output, discs like Up, Toy Story, and Toy Story 2 jumped forward at various times that were repeatable."

"Fortunately, an LG firmware update (BD 8.31.211.C) fixed this playback problem. Still, the player was on the market for well over a month before LG issued the fix, and the Internet forums were abuzz with complaints. While I commend LG for fixing the issues, too much time elapsed, and it's left a stain on the company's customer service. The last thing customers want is to be unpaid beta testers for manufacturers."

"After the firmware update, I watched a wide variety of discs, and the Star Wars DVD was the only disc that continued to malfunction."

"Another minor quibble is that the disc mechanism is quite loud, especially when the player boots up and when it firsts loads a disc. Initially, I thought this was the hard drive spinning up. However, after a few on/off cycles, I realized it was the optical drive that was making such a ruckus."

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 06-13-2010 at 04:24 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

The LG BD590 July 2010 Home Theater magazine review was just made available online at the following web link

http://hometheatermag.com/discplayers/lg_bd590_blu-ray_player/index.html
Old 07-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Boston, MA

BX580 and BX585 both have 3-D... this doesn't.
Blu-Ray is so awesome! =)
Old 07-14-2010, 08:07 PM   #4
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post
BX580 and BX585 both have 3-D... this doesn't.
The Home Theater magazine review and my post never claimed that this LG BD590 was a 3-D player. 2-D Blu-ray players are still in production. Maybe in 2-3 years the 3-D feature on Blu-ray players might become a standard feature found on all models.

The greatest cost in going 3-D is the purchase of the required 3-D display. I understand that many people looking for a Blu-ray player today are considering going with a 3-D Blu-ray player now and then later purchasing a 3-D display in a few years.

The average consumer keeps their main display for 8 years before upgrading. Most consumers that just purchased a 2-D 1080P display within the last 2 years are not interested in getting a 3-D Blu-ray player yet. Many people still purchase the OPPO BDP-83 since overall it is still the best 2-D Blu-ray player on the market for picture quality with excellent DVD-Audio/SACD playback. Some consumers in around 8 years from now will upgrade their 2-D 1080P display with a 3-D 1080P display and then replace their old 2-D Blu-ray player with a new 3-D Blu-ray player.

"The BD590 isn’t Blu-ray 3D ready and isn’t upgradable"
http://hometheatermag.com/discplayer...yer/index.html
Old 02-08-2013, 07:05 PM   #5

Oct 2012
Hollywood, CA
USA

Mine doesn't like to play Blu ray discs. makes a funny noise and spits them out but plays DVDs no problem. LG was useless and offered no remedy. Definitely not recommended, nor would I trust Home Theatre reviews as they also rated my LG TV highly and it has problems too.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders