Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ender's Game (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Reality Bites (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Planes (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Gravity (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Kid Cannabis (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Weird Science (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Jerk (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Who Framed Roger Rabbit (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Goonies (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Pacific Rim 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Brother Bear / Brother Bear 2 (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Robin Hood (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Rescuers / The Rescuers Down Under (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Mad Max Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Old 03-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #1281

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by eiknarf View Post
In a way I wish I'd seen it when I was younger, but if that was the case, I might not have liked it (meaning, I might not have been ready, or, might not have liked the slow pace). So in a way, I'm glad I never saw it before now.
I saw it in a theater when I was eight. I had no idea what was going on, but I loved the visuals until the last part, which was very boring. I was a big fan of the Apollo program, reading books and building models and basically soaking in it, so I loved all the space stuff.

I liked both Yellow Submarine and Planet of the Apes better that year. Now I like 2001 better than those two.

It was a good year for G rated films.
Old 03-24-2014, 01:49 AM   #1282
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2007
Seattle Area

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I've just received a notice that 2001 will be showing here in Sydney, Australia, in a week's time in a revivalist cinema with a proper 70mm screen. They're advertising it as being in "remastered HD Digital", but I'm not sure what that actually means. (A digital projection of the master used for the BD? Or something newer?)

Anyway. Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood are going to be in attendance, and do an audience Q&A.

And ... it's already sold out.
Bummer! That would be an event to remember.

I had recently revisited the Cinefex article on 2001 (issue 85) and liked the Douglas Trumbull quote:

"Everything was 'sort of' supposed to represent something," asserted Trumbull, "but the objective of the picture was to make it so ambiguous that people could interpret it as anything they wanted to. That was Kubrick's main intent, I believe. People like to grab hold of things in a very literal way so they can make sense out of them - but there was none of that with 2001. Kubrick sought not to make sense out of it. It was up to the viewer to interpret it. In that respect, Kubrick succeeded in making a film that is more like a piece of music than a story."

In the same issue is a James Cameron and Lightstorm Entertainment ad celebrating 2001 with the Kubrick quote:

"I would not think of quarreling with your interpretation nor offering any other, as I have found it always the best policy to allow the film to speak for itself."
Old 03-24-2014, 02:17 AM   #1283
Special Member

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigThom View Post
I saw it in a theater when I was eight. I had no idea what was going on, but I loved the visuals until the last part, which was very boring. I was a big fan of the Apollo program, reading books and building models and basically soaking in it, so I loved all the space stuff.

I liked both Yellow Submarine and Planet of the Apes better that year. Now I like 2001 better than those two.

It was a good year for G rated films.
What a movie to see at eight. I think I would've been freaked out.
Adam: Why do you waste your time with that second-life bulls**t? Look at you. You're still in jail. You were in jail last week.
Jacob: Yeah, I'm a prisoner. It's called "doing hard time".
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America