Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-11-2014, 02:48 AM   #861
Expert Member

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
I'm not sure I get what you're saying. What is "the TC"? The alternate ending is not the "original" - at least not as far as release goes. Hey, it all gets down to personal preference - and I respect yours - but, imho, the alternate ending is
[Show spoiler]way too much of a downer. The released ending isn't exactly an "everybody lives happily after" deal. In the alternate, a pretty savy guy suddenly acts like a moron and gets himself killed. A great ending, I guess, if you're a Catholic and want everybody to pay for their sins, but (again, for me), it was
bullshit.
Agree 100% not sure why everyone thinks the theatrical ending is a "happy" ending. It was a bit on the sad side to me.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 AM   #862
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ry35an View Post
Agree 100% not sure why everyone thinks the theatrical ending is a "happy" ending. It was a bit on the sad side to me.
Exactly! (I'm sure some will think we're just a couple of emotional suckers, but ... )
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those who are lucky enough to be loved.

Remember, folks : it's only 36 days until Black Friday!!!

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #863

Feb 2013
Metropolitan Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergfoster View Post
1. No. Windowed exclusive. Once Best Buy's window closed, everyone got the same product.

2. Yes. Same as the UCE minus the swag and the DVD. The book content is even the same as the book in the bigger UCE.

3. I personally feel the EC with alternate ending is easily the best cut of the film. The extensions aren't all great (and I think one creates a minor continuity error), but the ending of the TC is terrible, IMO, and the original ending was the way to go.
Thanks! I appreciate your clarifying. It sounds like the digibook offers a better bang for the buck than the UCE, and a 2BD set probably should have been the model for the initial Blu-ray release.
If no kids see it, then it has no future.

My For Sale and Trade Thread: http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=223586
Old 07-11-2014, 07:00 AM   #864
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Seattle, WA

TC: theatrical cut.

The alternate ending is reportedly closer to the ending of the book and the ending of the screenplay that got the film greenlit, so it is indeed the theatrical ending that is less "original" in the sense of "first." I could be misremembering what Affleck says on his commentary for it, but he basically says he changed it for commercial reasons.
DVDTalk Blu-ray and DVD Critic | facebook | Blu-rays and DVDs (click the tab to switch) | e-mail me | Twitter
Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM   #865
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergfoster View Post
TC: theatrical cut.

The alternate ending is reportedly closer to the ending of the book and the ending of the screenplay that got the film greenlit, so it is indeed the theatrical ending that is less "original" in the sense of "first." I could be misremembering what Affleck says on his commentary for it, but he basically says he changed it for commercial reasons.
Thanks, tyler. I remember hearing that there was a commentary track explanation (but I never listen to commentary tracks, so ... ). Anyway, I've got the DigiBook (the best choice) and have seen both versions - and, for the reasons I gave before, hate the "alternate/original (?)" ending - but it's good that it's available as a branching choice as many prefer it and thus we can each "choose our poison" as they say.
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those who are lucky enough to be loved.

Remember, folks : it's only 36 days until Black Friday!!!

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:06 AM   #866
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011

Anyone having problems playing this with the Sony BDP-5200 (or Sony player in general)? It just freezes on the loading screen, unfortunately I don't have my PS3 with me to check an alternate player.

I had an issue with THX-1138 basically doing the same thing.

Both are Warner discs from 2010. Hmm.

Wonder if it's the player, or discs. In just a few months I've already caught up with how many unplayable films I had in 5 years on my old Panasonic (although the Sony is a far more capable player overall, seems like it might be something with the Warner discs though).

Last edited by AgentOrange; 08-21-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:00 AM   #867
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
Anyone having problems playing this with the Sony BDP-5200 (or Sony player in general)? It just freezes on the loading screen, unfortunately I don't have my PS3 with me to check an alternate player.

I had an issue with THX-1138 basically doing the same thing.

Both are Warner discs from 2010. Hmm.

Wonder if it's the player, or discs. In just a few months I've already caught up with how many unplayable films I had in 5 years on my old Panasonic (although the Sony is a far more capable player overall, seems like it might be something with the Warner discs though).
This may not be the source of the problem at all but try inserting a USB memory drive. I sure would like to have thought Sony resolved this quirk/issue from years ago when I got a BDP-S470 (a 2010 model) but that player would not load Starship Troopers (a Sony title, natch) unless a thumb drive was inserted.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:17 AM   #868
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
This may not be the source of the problem at all but try inserting a USB memory drive. I sure would like to have thought Sony resolved this quirk/issue from years ago when I got a BDP-S470 (a 2010 model) but that player would not load Starship Troopers (a Sony title, natch) unless a thumb drive was inserted.
It ends up playing if I power down the player, and leave the disc in the tray.

For whatever reason, if I insert the disc, the "auto-play" doesn't play nice with the loading of this disc (completely freezes my player and requires me to cut the power). But if I just leave the disc in the tray when I reboot the player, then manually select the disc from the menu, it boots up normally without hesitation.

I'll have disable autoplay and see if the same workaround goes for THX 1138, obviously I don't want to do hard resets all the time just to reach the main menu.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:36 AM   #869
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
It ends up playing if I power down the player, and leave the disc in the tray.

For whatever reason, if I insert the disc, the "auto-play" doesn't play nice with the loading of this disc (completely freezes my player and requires me to cut the power). But if I just leave the disc in the tray when I reboot the player, then manually select the disc from the menu, it boots up normally without hesitation.

I'll have disable autoplay and see if the same workaround goes for THX 1138, obviously I don't want to do hard resets all the time just to reach the main menu.
(Also, turn off BD-Live access if it is not already.)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America