COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$37.99
Cannibal Holocaust (Blu-ray)
$25.78
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Justified: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.30
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Triple Feature (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
House of Cards: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Party (Blu-ray)
$17.49
Battle Royale (Blu-ray)
$15.78
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$20.95

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #221

Apr 2013
Jakarta, Indonesia

Why my copy doesn't have English subtitle?
Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #222
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2013
Tracy Island
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Pause View Post
Thanks Morsoth for posting this

I love that short of 'The Big Bad Wolf', is it available anywhere, if you know?

I would love to get it!
Watched this the other day from our library. I've not seen this in a long time. I liked it & I'm thinking of getting it.

Still want that 'The Big Bad Wolf', short!
"I AM WHO I AM"
"Cause I'll rise again"
"There's slow, slow train coming up around the bend"
"to hell with the devil"
Tigers (57-44) 'MLB'
Tigers
vs Angels

><(((:>
Old 08-13-2013, 03:38 AM   #223
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Canada

Watching the Howling now, just finished Funhouse the PQ is 10x better in the Howling wow.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:03 AM   #224
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdawq View Post
Watching the Howling now, just finished Funhouse the PQ is 10x better in the Howling wow.
I have every scream title, including both above, but I though the howling was lees than awesome. Still blew any dvd I've seen away, but it wasn't phenomenal. I think Funhouse may have looked better but I haven't pulled it out in a few months.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:43 AM   #225
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner97 View Post
I have every scream title, including both above, but I though the howling was lees than awesome. Still blew any dvd I've seen away, but it wasn't phenomenal. I think Funhouse may have looked better but I haven't pulled it out in a few months.
Don't get me wrong i enjoyed Funhouse wayyyyy more than Howling I just think Howling had better PQ. First time watching Funhouse tonight, started slow but man did it pick up.
Old 08-15-2013, 11:35 PM   #226

Jun 2010
Default Uncut Outtakes

Finally, we have the unedited version of the Outtakes.

Did any of you long time Howling fans ever get the Special Edition laserdisc back in the day? The collection of Outtakes included on that set had some funny adult-type humor: the guy pumping gas giving the finger to Dennis Dugan, the chopped off werewolf hand giving the finger, etc. For whatever reason, the MGM special edition DVD left these humorous bits out. I've held on to my laserdisc copy ever since.

I know it's a small thing, but big kudos to Shout Factory for including the complete Outtakes.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #227
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmez View Post
the guy pumping gas giving the finger to Dennis Dugan
The guy, by the way, is fellow New World alum Jonathan Kaplan, who later directed the Oscar-winning The Accused, and also helmed Truck Turner, Unlawful Entry, Over the Edge, and Brokedown Palace, among others. One of many wonderful cameos in the film.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 AM   #228
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2012
Northern Ireland

I watched this last week the PQ was OK not great but not bad somewhere in the middle. The AQ was better though. Better film than I remembered it to be.
Expendables 3 August 15th 2014
Old 09-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #229
Expert Member

May 2013
Camp Crystal Lake

Just watched the Scream release last night...absolutely love the movie, but it is apparent right off the bat that digital tampering has been applied to the transfer. Besides the sharpening and DNR, I noticed some kind of weird frozen video noise or distortion in a lot of the background shots (inside the adult movie store is a great example)....again probably something to do with DNR....but very weird looking and not like usual frozen grain.

One of my favourites though, just wish it was left untouched.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:31 PM   #230
Suspended

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvorhees View Post
Just watched the Scream release last night...absolutely love the movie, but it is apparent right off the bat that digital tampering has been applied to the transfer. Besides the sharpening and DNR, I noticed some kind of weird frozen video noise or distortion in a lot of the background shots (inside the adult movie store is a great example)....again probably something to do with DNR....but very weird looking and not like usual frozen grain.

One of my favourites though, just wish it was left untouched.
That's extremely poor encode job by Scream! It has the same effect as DNR. Blotchy smeared grain and picture full of artifacts.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:50 PM   #231
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
SE MI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmez View Post
Finally, we have the unedited version of the Outtakes.

Did any of you long time Howling fans ever get the Special Edition laserdisc back in the day? The collection of Outtakes included on that set had some funny adult-type humor: the guy pumping gas giving the finger to Dennis Dugan, the chopped off werewolf hand giving the finger, etc. For whatever reason, the MGM special edition DVD left these humorous bits out. I've held on to my laserdisc copy ever since.

I know it's a small thing, but big kudos to Shout Factory for including the complete Outtakes.
I had/have that laser and always hated the beginning of the Hot Tub deleted scene was gone from the dvd, along with the other smaller bits from the outtakes. All have been restored which was the last thing I needed to upgrade it myself, especially since my laserdisc player is now deader than dirt. Now if only we could get a new version of Sid & Nancy with all the Criterion laser extras (dvd was missing stuff about the real band), I wouldn't much miss laser at all.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #232

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun123 View Post
How come the Shout release gets 4 stars but the French release gets only 3? It is the same transfer, Shout release is a port of the French.
http://www.caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergl...ss=1#vergleich

It may be the same transfer, but it's not a port. Looking at those caps, the most obvious difference is the brightness. And maybe you can see some smudging of detail on that red sweater in the US release due to DNR. Either that or the detail was lost due to artificial darkening? I'm no expert; still learning how to interpret these caps . The other caps I looked at look identical minus the brightness.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #233
Expert Member

Aug 2009

The "smudgy" look on the sweater and the girls' thighs is poor encoding, nothing more; if it was supposed to be an intentional grain removal pass, it clearly failed.

Scream Factory titles ALWAYS have poor encoding, I'm sad to day. Note that the Scream Factory disc has a higher bitrate than the Canal import, yet it has worse grain retention. It's sad, really, and remains the worst thing about a company that, otherwise, tends to get just about everything right.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:52 AM   #234

Feb 2012
semi-rural Japan

Anyone actually own both copies of the US & French to compare? On my laptop the screencaps comparison results look VERY different between caps a holic and bluray.com, so I can't really trust my eyes. Based on bluray.com caps I'd be willing to try that French BD, but on caps-a-holic the Shout looks better to me, go figure. I'm a big fan of recent French blu-rays in the PQ department, usually more natural looking, but it's not like you can count on a French blu automatically being better.
For what it's worth, I turned the contrast down about 20% for the Shout blu and it looks pretty good that way. I am tending to do this with other recent Shout titles. Should mention I only have a 42" TV, but I sit really close, cinema-mode with very low backlight.

Last edited by billyearle; 10-20-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:38 AM   #235

Mar 2009

Speaking of wolves, I wonder if we'll ever see "Wolfen" on Blu-ray. Always thought that was a cool flick.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:12 PM   #236

Aug 2008
UK

Has anyone ordered this recently from Amazon? Did it come with a slipcover?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:48 PM   #237

May 2010
Sweden

I've posted 50 screencaps on my website for those interested. Taken from the Shout / Scream Factory release!

http://www.bluscreens.net/howling-the.html

Enjoy!
Bluscreens.net - My Collection of blu-ray screencaps

Follow me on Twitter
Old 03-24-2014, 09:35 PM   #238

Dec 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrighta81 View Post
Has anyone ordered this recently from Amazon? Did it come with a slipcover?
I just got mine in the mail from familyvideo.com, it had a slip. I did a little dance and I'm not ashamed.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:48 PM   #239
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2012
North Carolina

I don't blame you!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America