Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Blomkamp³ Limited Edition Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Jupiter Ascending 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.49
Chappie (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Burnt Offerings (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Miracle Mile (Blu-ray)
$13.49
The Satan Bug (Blu-ray)
$11.49
The Oblong Box (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Truck Turner (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Black Sabbath (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Alfred Hitchcock: The Classic Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Prime Cut (Blu-ray)
$13.49
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 07-27-2015, 10:50 PM   #13501
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

That's because gamers are an even more finickity bunch than home theater enthusiasts, I bet some of them are still playing on CRTs so they don't get input lag.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:45 PM   #13502
Power Member

Feb 2013
I live where you vacation

I got this used today; I noticed my “Aliens" disc has a “clear dot"on the backside close to the backside letterings of the disc. Are all like this or is mine starting to rot where it reads or something?
Old 08-01-2015, 01:24 PM   #13503

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlanga View Post
I got this used today; I noticed my “Aliens" disc has a “clear dot"on the backside close to the backside letterings of the disc. Are all like this or is mine starting to rot where it reads or something?
Checked my disc just now and not seeing any "clear dot" anywhere on the disc. Sounds like your disc has an issue.
Thanks given by:
Carlanga (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM   #13504
Power Member

Feb 2013
I live where you vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoulMouff View Post
Checked my disc just now and not seeing any "clear dot" anywhere on the disc. Sounds like your disc has an issue.
Thanks I will play it tonight to see! I just hope it doesn't spread.

That is what I was afraid. Here is the aliens disc w the dot where my finger is next to the spine:
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #13505

Dec 2009

So this past weekend, I binge watched the first four ALIEN movies.
(I have never watched all four in one sitting before. I watch the first two at least once a year, and never watch the last two. For some reason, or another, I just decided to go for it this weekend.)

My thoughts (a word of warning – long winded and lengthy discussion follows)

A L I E N
The only movie I have ever seen that I consider “perfect”. There is something about every movie I see that I would have done differently; but not this one – everything works brilliantly. A masterpiece. It is so perfect that I prefer the Theatrical to the “Director’s Cut” (which btw is NOT the Director’s preferred cut either – it was just a publicity stunt for a theatrical re-release). Completely alien creatures (Space Jockey was so bizzare and interesting, why oh why did Ridley Scott have to ruin it !?!?!?! The Space Jockey is just a flightsuit ?? I’m not buying it. The Engineers worship the Space Jockey race, and so they fashioned their flightsuits to honor their Gods. Whew! Problem solved.), facehugger and chest burster were so original and well, alien, and then the next stage of the creature took on it’s host’s characteristics – two arms, two legs, etc. – GENIUS! I was interested to see the next stage of its lifecycle, but this creature was ejected into space as an adolescent. Such a fascinating concept that was never visited again. The Blu-ray is very clearly the best transfer of the four – breathtaking in its clarity – demo worthy in fact. I wish all Blu-rays looked like A L I E N. One of my Desert Island discs.

Aliens
And now, my all-time favorite movie. Binge watching just seconds after finishing A L I E N , one can see that they did not match the Narcissus exactly. Frozen Ripley isn’t even looking the same direction. Also, the PROMITY ALERT screen is of the more advanced Aliens type computer, not from the original A L I E N style. But enough nit-picking about my #1 most favorite movie. I can watch this every Friday night for the rest of my life and never be bored. Oh, and I haven’t had any use for the theatrical version since 1992, and neither has the director. 2-and-a-half hours is still not enough Aliens. Have I mentioned that it’s my all-time most favorite movie ? And my other Desert Island disc, even though the transfer is nowhere near as breathtaking as A L I E N.

Alien3
Rumour Control here – these are the facts: I have been so back-and-forth with this one. I hated, loathed, and despised it when I saw it in theatres. I never would have imagined how much the follow-up to my most cherished, most beloved movie of all time would disappoint me. The phrase WTF was created to describe me exiting that theatre in 1992. Felt like I was punched in the face, kicked in the gut, and left lying in a gutter. I was so pissed off that I went and drafted a screenplay: Scene opens on Mrs Ellen Ripley-Hicks waking up from a nightmare. Next to her in bed, her husband, Duane Hicks asks if she had the dream about the Prison Planet again. Teenaged Newt comes in “Which one tonight ? Queen chestburster again ?” My Alien4 concerned itself with the Weapons division bringing eggs to Earth to study the creatures. And they experiment on all kinds of animals, so that we would have our Gorilla Alien, Eagle Alien (with wings!), Cougar, Dolphin, and so on. Things, of course, go wrong, the Alien Apocalypse begins, and civilization crumbles ala Dawn of the Dead. Our movie focuses on the Hicks Family and how they survive. But that was my idea I mailed to 20th Century Fox. I was pleased to see some of my ideas in Resurrection, but I really wanted that end-of-days on Earth with interesting Alien variants from different animals. (Maybe in Alien 5 ? Scene opens on Mrs Ellen Ripley-Hicks waking up from a nightmare. Next to her in bed, her husband, Duane Hicks asks if she had the dream about the Queen inside her again. No, she says, the one where she’s cloned. Duane: “Oh man, that’s such a weird one.” Ellen: “and so … French!”) But I digress. I was talking about my back-and-forth about Alien3. My second viewing of this movie was the day I got my Alien Quadrilogy DVD set. I immediately spun up the Assembly Cut. And I was impressed. “Why wasn’t THIS the movie I saw in 1992 ?!?!?!?” I was still upset about Ripley, Hicks, Bishop, and Newt being in it – seemed so far-fetched and silly, but I watched with the idea that we were watching Ripley’s nightmare from the beginning of Alien5, and I actually enjoyed it. I prefer the Assembly Cut, as it is just a better flowing movie, and an Ox burster is way more intimidating than a Puppy burster. I loved that they actually trapped the Dragon, only to have an inmate release him! Great twist! I only wish it were not the continuation of Aliens. How about this: the Weapons Division is transporting a ship full of eggs to Earth for study, and of course, the face huggers get out and kill the crew, the last remaining scientist starts the self-destruct before getting into a lifeboat, and of course, a facehugger sneaks onto the lifeboat, which then crashes onto a prison planet. Now, there’s the movie! Go film that ! But I once again digress. I started this discussion because I just binge watched all four. Alien3 is a movie to be watched on its own, never as part of a marathon of vastly superior movies. Watching Alien3 immediately after my most favorite movie of all-time was just a chore to get through. Coming directly after A L I E N and Aliens, I really didn’t care about any of the characters, I was just caught up in how utterly illogical the story was, and I just was not into it at all. Beyond the facehuggers being on the Sulaco (I’ll justify that by saying the Queen was carrying some of her babies under her armor, like a momma kangaroo, after Ripley started torching the eggs. I just wish there were no stupid egg in the opening credits!), and the deaths of two (I mean three, oh wait FOUR) characters that survived the previous picture, just the whole concept of a prison that is closed, but the inmates decide to stay ? Huh ? And the Company is going to continue to spend resources on keeping this prison operational ? Again HUH !?!?? OK, then why was the Warden there ? And how does one out-of-shape late middle-aged Warden with no weapons of any kind and an Assistant with an IQ of 85 maintain control ??? Ugh I am back to being angry about this movie again.

Alien: Resurrection
Talk about being angry at a movie ! Jeez this one takes First Prize. This is the only Alien/Predator movie I did not see in the theatre. Somehow, I knew this was total crap before I ever saw it. OK, let’s go: They used my idea of the Weapons Division keeping these dangerous creatures for experimentation - so far so good. (Excellent concept, if I do say so myself!) And they moved the laboratory to Deep Space, in case something goes wrong, Wow, that’s so logical and sets up an isolated ship, far away from help. Terrific set up! Add some unscrupulous “Space Pirates” who traffic live Humans for this experimentation, and we’ve got an AWESOME movie ! BUT, no: here it comes. Let’s add a cloned Ripley to get Sigourney involved. But wait, let’s make her a Superhero ! She can sense Aliens, has super strength and stealth, is a sharp shooter, is great at basketball, and oh yeah – has acid blood too! SuperRipley to the rescue! ! ! My God…. what were they thinking? Also, let’s make sure this ship we specifically setup millions of miles AWAY from population automatically set course for Earth at the first sign of trouble?!??!?! WTF !?!?!?! And then, to one-up everything they’ve done so wrong up to that point, they have a queen with a uterus(!!!!) give birth to, umm….. whatever the Hell that thing was. Oh, and let’s have another countdown to destruction, and have Ripley manage to suck the Alien out into space AGAIN for the third time, because, well, it’s an homage, right ? OMG I need to go to Rekall, Inc and have this all erased from my memory. So much terribleness in one movie. And now to the “extended scenes” (I was a real glutton for punishment this weekend, huh ?) We’ll open our picture on a fake-out of a Xeno mouth, then pan back to reveal it’s just a wittle bitty bug. Because insects have Alien mouths, we all know that! (OK , they have explored the Galaxy, there was bound to be an extra-terrestrial species of insect sneak aboard a ship, so I’ll have to hold on to that to be able to accept what I saw.) But: who smooshes an insect with their finger !??!?! And, OK, he feels around for a napkin, and finding none, takes the straw from his drink, scrapes the insect guts off his finger into the straw. What??? And that wasn’t weird enough, so he blows it out of the straw onto his window. Because that’s exactly what a person would do, so that he gets to stare at insect guts in his workspace for his entire shift. WHAT THE effin F !?!??!?!?!? Then, finally, we have two glorious endings to enjoy, I mean endure. Both equally stupid. The destroyed Paris was visually interesting, at least, but it was just too sudden, and weird, and just ends up being another WTF. That’s what they should have named this one – Alien: WTF.

Such extremes in one film series. From Cinematic Perfection to Awesome Action to kinda OK in a surreal, nightmarish kinda way, then ending with maddening, unwatchable Rubbish. A whole spectrum of emotions in one marathon!
October 26, 2010: a great day for Blu-ray

Last edited by mars396; Yesterday at 07:17 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM   #13506
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2011
Angel Grove, NY

Director's Cut of Alien wasn't 2009. it was 2003 or 2004....
Looking for the following:
UV:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1
Disk:
- Game of Thrones: Season 1: HBO Shop Bonus Disk
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM   #13507
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Your thoughts seem well-written but I can't read that post because of a lack of paragraphs. Literally hurts my eyes.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America