Best SteelBook Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Batman Ninja (Blu-ray)
$17.96

Hero (Blu-ray)
$12.71

Stargate: The Movie (Blu-ray)
$16.33

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension (Blu-ray)
$18.49

Jack Reacher: Never Go Back (Blu-ray)
$16.09
6 hrs ago
Game of Thrones: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$31.24

The Fast and the Furious (Blu-ray)
$11.97

The Fast and the Furious (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Death Wish (Blu-ray)
$10.05

Hard Core Logo/Hard Core Logo 2 (Blu-ray)
$13.25

Top Gun (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Donnie Darko (Blu-ray)
$24.62

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks

Old 03-14-2018, 06:05 PM   #341
Power Member

Jan 2015
Sacramento, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixSpeedSamurai View Post
When you redeem via MA, it says you own the UHD version, but the HD version is only available to watch on MA. It will show up in Vudu as UHD then.
I thought this was common knowledge by now.

Happy to report my ISP was mint. I have always had pretty good luck. I do inspect when given the chance and of course will steer clear from spine slashes but if they are barely noticeable I won't bother, doesn't bug me much. I do think opening 10 copies in store just to inspect is rather excessive. I won't be swayed by the "blame Best Buy for defective product crowd" we all know its just part of the game at this point. If you don't want to spend more money for a premium, limited product on the off chance that their might be a small blemish, you should probably step away from the steelbook collecting game.
Thanks given by:
Smigro (03-14-2018), TwoTimesPrime (03-14-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #342

Nov 2012

Decided to pick it up since I hate the photoshopped look of the regular 4k cover, I don't know why this one bothered me as much compared to the other DC film's covers, but it did. My copy I quickly grabbed off the shelf this morning was in mint condition, which I'm shocked after reading about all the problems everyone else seems to be having. If this does end up going on sale within the next 30 days I'll be able to price match it. So I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and pick it up while they're easy to get.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #343

Feb 2013
CA

My regular copy never updated beyond pre-shipment so I called to see what's up and yeah it's lost somewhere
BB hooked it up though they upgraded me to a 4K copy for the same price as the regular and free 2 day shipping
I'm not as ashamed as I once was lol
Old 03-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #344

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIWinfamous View Post
Decided to pick it up since I hate the photoshopped look of the regular 4k cover, I don't know why this one bothered me as much compared to the other DC film's covers, but it did. My copy I quickly grabbed off the shelf this morning was in mint condition, which I'm shocked after reading about all the problems everyone else seems to be having. If this does end up going on sale within the next 30 days I'll be able to price match it. So I decided to bite the bullet and go ahead and pick it up while they're easy to get.

The standard cover......even tho I bought both steel and standard 4K releases...the regular cover art bothered me so much because it’s like they copy/cut/and pasted from the Wonder Woman 4K coverart
Thanks given by:
MIWinfamous (03-21-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 10:31 PM   #345
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Although I ordered the 3D steel as an import, I figured I would still pick up the 4K. I walked out with the digibook. It's really nice looking. I'll end up buying the 4K later on and swap out the DVD.
Wanted:
Criterion: 'The Third Man' Digipak (do NOT need discs or booklets)
Studio Canal Collection Nordic Edition slipcovers for digibook releases
Alliance Canada HANNA SteelBook (clean BACK without dents or scratches)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:49 AM   #346

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
Honestly if I was the manager, I think after the 3rd one I would have asked you to leave the store without a copy since you now removed about $600 of stock from their shelves for a $1-2 profit unless you walked out with a $3000 4K TV in addition
Yeah, god forbid he gets what he payed for.
Thanks given by:
Schrute Farms (03-19-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:53 AM   #347

Jul 2008
Thumbs down

I have a lot of steelbooks, but I am skipping this one. Just not a fan of the steelbooks with the cartoon artwork on the covers. I'll pick up the regular 4K and 3D versions after the price drops....
Sony 65" XBR65Z9D / Sony 52" XBR4
Oppo UDP-203 / Oppo BDP-93 / LG BD670
Yamaha RX-A2050 Receiver / Emotiva XPA-2 Amp
Mains: B&W Matrix 801's
Center: B&W Nautilus HTM
L/R Surrounds: B&W Matrix 805's
L/R Rear Surrounds: B&W Matrix HTM
Velodyne DD-15 Subwoofer Yamaha CD-C600BL
Old 03-16-2018, 02:55 AM   #348
Blu-ray Prince

Jul 2010
Charlotte, NC
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Souvenir View Post
He is perfectly within his rights to get what he wants, but I don't think at the extreme inconvenience/expense of both the store and a bunch of other customers who came after him.

Depleting most (or a large proportion) of a store Limited Edition item out of the same batch with the same defect hoping to find a perfect one without the same defect? I'm guessing 90 of 100 buyers (or higher) wouldn't have cared at all even among the SB Collectors so not only prevented that store from selling any of those items, but prevented other customers from having that opportunity.

Doing the same thing over and over while expecting.........
Thanks given by:
El Rey (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 03:33 AM   #349

Sep 2014

Watched this last night and forgot how disjointed and scattered the last two main series films were.
There is a flip side to that coin. What if you do got me boxed in and I gotta put you down? Cause no matter what, you will not get in my way. We've been face to face, yeah. But I will not hesitate. Not for a second.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:21 AM   #350
Blu-ray Knight

Sep 2011
USA
Send a message via Skype™ to Kellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques Souvenir View Post
he hadn't paid for one yet. if he had paid and found the problems and exchanged, it wouldn't bother me so much. but had he not bought anything at all, he still opened 10 products that will have to be addressed by the store for repackaging, markdown, whatever it is they do, without any sales at all
<<<< Female Blu Ray Collector (been called dude and bro a lot lately, so clarifying lol)

"How did I survive apocalyptic fire? I simply refused to feel the flames."

Thanks given by:
El Rey (03-16-2018), InuYashaCrusade (03-16-2018), neoz (03-16-2018), rickah88 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 01:31 PM   #351

Aug 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petey Parker View Post
Can't be read without a subscription or being signed in

PM me and I will send you the article
Screw it, here it is
How Your Returns Are Used Against You at Best Buy, Other Retailers
Best Buy, other chains pay to track customers’ shopping behavior and limit items they can bring back
At Best Buy, returning too many items within a short time can hurt a person’s score, as can returning high-theft items such as digital cameras.
At Best Buy, returning too many items within a short time can hurt a person’s score, as can returning high-theft items such as digital cameras. PHOTO: CRAIG MATTHEWS/THE PRESS OF ATLANTIC CITY/ASSOCIATED PRESS
By Khadeeja Safdar
March 13, 2018 5:30 a.m. ET
476 COMMENTS
Every time shoppers return purchases to Best Buy Co. BBY +0.33% , they are tracked by a company that has the power to override the store’s touted policy and refuse to refund their money.

That is because the electronics giant is one of several chains that have hired a service called Retail Equation to score customers’ shopping behavior and impose limits on the amount of merchandise they can return.

Jake Zakhar recently returned three cellphone cases at a Best Buy store in Mission Viejo, Calif., and a salesperson told him he would be banned from making returns and exchanges for a year. The 41-year-old real-estate agent had bought cases in extra colors as gifts for his sons and assumed he could bring back the unused ones within the 15 days stated in the return policy as long as he had a receipt.

The salesperson told him to contact Retail Equation, based in Irvine, Calif., to request his “return activity report,” a history of his return transactions. The report showed only three items—the cellphone cases—totaling $87.43. He asked the firm to lift the ban, but it declined. When he appealed to Best Buy and tweeted his report, the company referred him back to Retail Equation.

“I’m being made to feel like I committed a crime,” said Mr. Zakhar. “When you say habitual returner, I’m thinking 27 videogames and 14 TVs.”

Stores have long used generous return guidelines to lure more customers, but such policies also invite abuse. Retailers estimate 11% of their sales are returned, and of those, 11% are likely fraudulent returns, according to a 2017 survey of 63 retailers by the National Retail Federation. Return fraud or abuse occurs when customers exploit the return process, such as requesting a refund for items they have used, stolen or bought somewhere else.

Amazon.com Inc. and other online players that have made it easy to return items have changed consumer expectations, adding pressure on brick-and-mortar chains. L.L. Bean Inc., which once allowed customers to make returns even years after they purchased items, recently clamped down, citing abuse.

Points of No Return
The Retail Equation develops 'risk scores' based on shoppers' behavior. The actions that hurt a customer's score and thresholds for denying a return vary by retailer.

Examples of

actions that

can hurt

your score:

Returning

a large

percentage

of your total

purchases

Returning

a high

dollar

amount

Returning

an item

without

a receipt

Returning

an item after

a certain

period

Returning

items that

tend to get

stolen at

the retailer

Returning

too many

items in a

short period

Returning

an item just

when a

store closes

Source: The Retail Equation
Some retailers monitor return fraud in-house, but Best Buy and others pay Retail Equation to track and score each customer’s return behavior for both in-store and online purchases. The service also works with Home Depot Inc., J.C. Penney Co. , Sephora and Victoria’s Secret. Some retailers use the system only to assess returns made without a receipt.

Best Buy uses Retail Equation to assess all returns, even those made with a receipt. Dozens of shoppers have complained on Twitter, Facebook, Yelp and other online forums that they were prevented from making returns despite following the store’s policy.

Retail Equation said its services are used in 34,000 stores, but declined to provide a full list of its clients. The Wall Street Journal learned of the relationship between some retailers and the firm by reviewing return activity reports from customers.

“We are hired by the retailers to review the returns, look for suspicious situations and issue approvals, warnings or denials,” said Tom Rittman, a marketing vice president at Appriss Inc., a Louisville, Ky., data analytics firm that acquired Retail Equation in 2015.

The company said its system is designed to identify 1% of shoppers whose behaviors mimic return fraud or abuse. Its statisticians and programmers have built a customized algorithm for each retailer that scores customers based on their shopping behavior and then flags people who exceed a certain score. The company said it doesn’t share a person’s data from one retailer with another.

Related Video

A Brief History of Retail

The retail industry is undergoing another major shift -- to e-commerce. How did we get here? Photo: Associated Press
“You could do things that are inside the posted rules, but if you are violating the intent of the rules, like every item you’re purchasing you’re using and then returning, then at a certain point in time you become not a profitable customer for that retailer,” said Mr. Rittman.

At Best Buy, returning too many items within a short time can hurt a person’s score, as can returning high-theft items such as digital cameras. After the Journal contacted Best Buy, the company said it created a dedicated hotline (1-866-764-6979) to help customers who think they were wrongfully banned from making returns.

“On very rare occasions—less than one tenth of one percent of returns—we stop what we believe is a fraudulent return,” said Jeff Haydock, a spokesman for Best Buy. “Fraud is a real problem in retail, but if our systems aren’t as good as they can be, we apologize to anyone inappropriately affected.”

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly said the company is “looking very seriously at the process and partner around this.”

When a consumer makes a return, details about his or her identity and shopping visit are transmitted to Retail Equation, which then generates a “risk score.” If the score exceeds the threshold specific to the retailer, a salesperson informs the consumer that future returns will be denied and then directs them to Retail Equation to request a return activity report or file a dispute.

It isn’t easy for shoppers to learn their standing before receiving a warning. Retailers typically don’t publicize their relationship with Retail Equation. And even if a customer tracks down his or her return report, it doesn’t include purchase history or other information used to generate a score. The report also doesn’t disclose the actual score or the thresholds for getting barred.

Dave Payne, a 38-year-old public relations professional, said he learned of the system for the first time when he received a warning at a Best Buy in Orlando, Fla. He was returning a digital scale and a router extender, with a receipt for both items.

He said neither Best Buy nor Retail Equation provided a clear explanation for what he did wrong: “Best Buy advertises a 15-day return policy, but they are not advertising that at some point when you’ve crossed an arbitrary line, that policy no longer applies.”

The ban on his account was lifted after he complained to the company’s public-relations department, but he remains upset that his information is being shared with a third party. “It creeps me out.”

Write to Khadeeja Safdar at khadeeja.safdar@wsj.com
Old 03-16-2018, 01:45 PM   #352

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellz View Post
he hadn't paid for one yet. if he had paid and found the problems and exchanged, it wouldn't bother me so much. but had he not bought anything at all, he still opened 10 products that will have to be addressed by the store for repackaging, markdown, whatever it is they do, without any sales at all
Yeah that is a pretty crappy thing to do. I hope they don't post this crap here again.

Talk about a blue falcon.
My collection click HT Gallery to view them.
My WTB's HERE
Served in the Military and like blu's come talk about it HERE

*Alert!!!* Best Buy Will Be Changing And Shrinking Their Media Section Soon!!!

Click HERE for more details.

Site FAQ

RIP ironsmile35
Thanks given by:
El Rey (03-16-2018), Heapashifter (03-16-2018), rickah88 (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #353
Blu-ray Grand Duke

May 2010
Columbia, MD
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
Yeah that is a pretty crappy thing to do. I hope they don't post this crap here again.

Talk about a blue falcon.
You can bet they would be the first ones to cry to the high heavens if retailers stopped doing exclusives, or even worse: physical releases due to declining sales because a bunch folks felt the need to open dozens of copies in search of a perfect diamond that doesn’t exist.

It never fails, give some folks an inch and they will always take a foot.
Thanks given by:
Carnage337 (03-17-2018), El Rey (03-16-2018), Heapashifter (03-16-2018)
Old 03-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #354
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemcgee64 View Post
I have a lot of steelbooks, but I am skipping this one. Just not a fan of the steelbooks with the cartoon artwork on the covers. I'll pick up the regular 4K and 3D versions after the price drops....
I think it is good when it is a cartoon film (those DCAU titles as an example). Otherwise, I agree. Granted this doesn't include drawn artwork like seen in older film posters.
Wanted:
Old 03-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #355
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

Does anyone have any advice with ordering from Amazon Italy. I'm thinking about ordering the JL SteelBook there, but have ordered four times from Amazon Italy and every order has been damaged. The last order, even the plastic shell was destroyed and had to be tossed.

As far as damaged steels, for those of you attacking the guy, how many of you would knowingly CHOOSE to buy a damaged SteelBook second hand off of eBay? So a person who buys multiple steels to get a copy without damage, is he to spend over 100 or more to get a copy without damage? If you WOULD buy a damaged SteelBook off of eBay how much as a percentage of the original price would you be willing to pay? Say, these copies with a spine slash or worse, a dent or paint scrapes/scratches...would you pay even half of the original price? While I don't think I would go through 10 copies, especially without having placed any money down first...I don't think a customer should have to settle for a damaged product.

Now, I have never returned a SteelBook for a spine slash, but I went through 3 or 4 copies to get an Avengers MetalCase that didn't have major flaws, and several copies of the Nolan 4Ks. As far as Amazon Spain goes, I now have three copies of Empire of the Sun, each at $25, with major dents on the corners on all three (unfixable - any buyers?). That is $75 spent and no good copy. Two copies of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Amazon Italy) with numerous dents on each, one of which the plastic inner case smashed and broken apart at the spine, both at $20 each. I've been through two copies of Alliance Canada's Hanna where both copies look like someone tried to slice the back up with a razor. I did not even request returns/replacements because that would require shipping the originals back at close to the cost of the item. So I end up just buying additional copies and wasting more money.
Wanted:

Last edited by Brian81; 03-17-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:50 AM   #356
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2008
Land Of Lincoln, USA Blu-ray SteelBooks™ (164)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
I thought this was common knowledge by now.

Happy to report my ISP was mint. I have always had pretty good luck. I do inspect when given the chance and of course will steer clear from spine slashes but if they are barely noticeable I won't bother, doesn't bug me much. I do think opening 10 copies in store just to inspect is rather excessive. I won't be swayed by the "blame Best Buy for defective product crowd" we all know its just part of the game at this point. If you don't want to spend more money for a premium, limited product on the off chance that their might be a small blemish, you should probably step away from the steelbook collecting game.
I skipped this steelbook because I wasn't crazy about the artwork. I have been buying less and less steelbooks because I am getting more steelbooks with dents. I'm also seeing more and more steelbooks in my collection rusting.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #357
Power Member

Aug 2010

Aren’t the spines exposed even when still sealed?

And the cardboard backing only covers the back and a little bit of the top?
Old 03-18-2018, 11:54 AM   #358
Blu-ray Baron

Oct 2009
USA
-
-
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcrk View Post
Aren’t the spines exposed even when still sealed?

And the cardboard backing only covers the back and a little bit of the top?

Covers the spine of the 4K edition.
BLu-RaY SToRe! / STeeLBooK SHoP
BLUFANS V.I.P.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:54 PM   #359

Oct 2009
Vancouver Wa

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlcards View Post
I skipped this steelbook because I wasn't crazy about the artwork. I have been buying less and less steelbooks because I am getting more steelbooks with dents. I'm also seeing more and more steelbooks in my collection rusting.
Sounds like you might have a humidity problem in your home.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #360
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by hariseldon View Post
He is perfectly within his rights to get what he wants, but I don't think at the extreme inconvenience/expense of both the store and a bunch of other customers who came after him.

Depleting most (or a large proportion) of a store Limited Edition item out of the same batch with the same defect hoping to find a perfect one without the same defect? I'm guessing 90 of 100 buyers (or higher) wouldn't have cared at all even among the SB Collectors so not only prevented that store from selling any of those items, but prevented other customers from having that opportunity.

Doing the same thing over and over while expecting.........
While expecting what? A different outcome? He got a different outcome. He left the store with an undamaged copy, didn't he?

Now you've made up a stat about the number of people willing to pay a premium for a steelbook and are ok with a spine slash.

The "extreme inconvenience" was created by the person who wasn't careful with a box cutter - not the customer.

Again, so shocked to see someone posting in a steelbook forum that most steelbook "collectors" don't care about spine slashes. I sure would've lost that bet.
Thanks given by:
Schrute Farms (03-19-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray SteelBooks