Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
American Horror Story: Asylum (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Taken 3 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Sullivanís Travels (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Rose (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Continuum: Season One (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Fantastic Mr. Fox (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Bates Motel: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Merchant of Four Seasons (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Cries & Whispers (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Parts 1 & 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole / Hugo (Blu-ray)
$19.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #1941
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009

This weekend I watched all of the older versions of the film for the first time, and the workprint is definitely my favorite version of the film. Especially the final scene where Roy is chasing Deckard through the apartment complex. The temp music makes that scene creepy as ****! I also like the way the camera lingers on the smoking bullet hole of the dead blade runner that Leon shoots at the beginning of the film. In all the other cuts it almost immediately cuts from that shot and I've always thought it was too abrupt.

It just makes me sad knowing that this blu-ray is likely the best looking copy of the workprint that will ever be released. I would have loved a full remaster of that version. On the other hand,it could and did look a lot worse before they cleaned it up. The blu-ray is not perfect, but it's far from terrible considering what it is.

Oh and having seen the older versions I really really do not like the color grading of the Final Cut. When the Final Cut was all I had seen it was fine, but now I prefer the warmer look of the older versions.

Last edited by Cook; 01-05-2015 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 AM   #1942
Special Member

Jul 2012
Midwest, U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylergfoster View Post
Especially given it played without anyone expecting it. Hell, they probably didn't even know that it existed. At least, that's my understanding: it was just a regular event screening of Blade Runner at some theater (I have heard both Dallas and Seattle as the location) in the early 1990s and it turned out to be this workprint.
I'm going to see Blade Runner this weekend at the theater. But it's specifically the Final Cut, so I'm not expecting any crazy surprises like that.
Sony BDP-S580 | Samsung T240HD
Old 01-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #1943
Suspended

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Especially given it played without anyone expecting it. Hell, they probably didn't even know that it existed. At least, that's my understanding: it was just a regular event screening of Blade Runner at some theater (I have heard both Dallas and Seattle as the location) in the early 1990s and it turned out to be this workprint.
Well, yeah, that's exactly what I was referring to. Out of the blue, those folks got treated to this incredible alternate version and the legend of Blade Runner got kickstarted in earnest. What's even luckier about those screenings is that if they didn't request the 70mm version, then the workprint may have never been uncovered and we may have never gotten all this other goodness years later.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:23 PM   #1944
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook View Post
This weekend I watched all of the older versions of the film for the first time, and the workprint is definitely my favorite version of the film. Especially the final scene where Roy is chasing Deckard through the apartment complex. The temp music makes that scene creepy as ****! I also like the way the camera lingers on the smoking bullet hole of the dead blade runner that Leon shoots at the beginning of the film. In all the other cuts it almost immediately cuts from that shot and I've always thought it was too abrupt.

It just makes me sad knowing that this blu-ray is likely the best looking copy of the workprint that will ever be released. I would have loved a full remaster of that version. On the other hand,it could and did look a lot worse before they cleaned it up. The blu-ray is not perfect, but it's far from terrible considering what it is.

Oh and having seen the older versions I really really do not like the color grading of the Final Cut. When the Final Cut was all I had seen it was fine, but now I prefer the warmer look of the older versions.
I am not sure how I feel about the color timing, but the greater detail of The Final Cut really stood out to me last time I watched this compared to the other versions - which are still nice 2K scans. But no question the amount of work put into The Final Cut showed. I've been meaning to watch one of them lately actually and might re-compare to The Final Cut.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old 01-25-2015, 04:36 PM   #1945

Nov 2014

Quick question:

Does the older 5 disc version have the same picture and audio quality as the newer 3-disc version? If so, are there any other benefits that make the 3 disc version superior?
Old 01-25-2015, 04:39 PM   #1946
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow27 View Post
Quick question:

Does the older 5 disc version have the same picture and audio quality as the newer 3-disc version? If so, are there any other benefits that make the 3 disc version superior?
Workprint has better audio and the extras are now on a BD (but have poorer PQ than the DVDs), there's a couple of new featurettes or galleries added to the anniversary release. The Final Cut is the same.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time.'' DM
Thanks given by:
insomniac013 (02-21-2015), jja (01-25-2015), Marlow27 (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #1947

Nov 2014

Awesome, thanks!
Thanks given by:
chip75 (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 05:03 PM   #1948
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
... extras are now on a BD (but have poorer PQ than the DVDs) ...
Might've missed it but I don't believe I've seen that mentioned before. How is that even possible - the same, yes, but worse ...?
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those lucky few who are truly loved.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 01-25-2015, 05:11 PM   #1949
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Well, yeah, that's exactly what I was referring to. Out of the blue, those folks got treated to this incredible alternate version and the legend of Blade Runner got kickstarted in earnest. What's even luckier about those screenings is that if they didn't request the 70mm version, then the workprint may have never been uncovered and we may have never gotten all this other goodness years later.
It was Los Angeles for the Fairfax Theater and their 1990 spring film festival, Rob Bartha requested a 70mm print and it turned up to be the Workprint (and not the International Cut) from the Dallas / Denver sneak-peaks.

I think it was only shown once again after that, as it was regarded too precious to be loaned out, even though requests were coming fix and fast after the Fairfax buzz. The Multimedia Festival event was sold out but they did repeat the screening as demand was so high.

It's weird how things come together, we probably wouldn't be in this thread if it wasn't for that initial request in 1990.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
Old 01-25-2015, 05:16 PM   #1950
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Memphis View Post
Might've missed it but I don't believe I've seen that mentioned before. How is that even possible - the same, yes, but worse ...?
The Dangerous Days documentary on Blu-ray looks slightly worse off compared to it's DVD version. It's most noticeable when there's text on the screen. It's not night and day by any means and the added convenience of having the extras on one disc sways the Blu-ray release but if you're in the mood to watch Dangerous Days, pop the DVD in your player!
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (01-25-2015)
Old 01-25-2015, 05:35 PM   #1951
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2012
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
The Dangerous Days documentary on Blu-ray looks slightly worse off compared to it's DVD version. It's most noticeable when there's text on the screen. It's not night and day by any means and the added convenience of having the extras on one disc sways the Blu-ray release but if you're in the mood to watch Dangerous Days, pop the DVD in your player!
I recall caps posted here about that but not the BD/DVD part. Anyway, I be SOL 'cause I only have the BD set. Oh, well ...
Epictetus : "A man should ... be prepared to be sufficient unto himself ..."
Memphis : But far more fortunate are those lucky few who are truly loved.

You can only have too much ammo if you're on fire or swimming.

Digital Copies Available ($1-$3 or Best Offer). PM Me For List.
Old 01-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #1952
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
I recall caps posted here about that but not the BD/DVD part. Anyway, I be SOL 'cause I only have the BD set. Oh, well ...
There was a truncated version in HD on the BBC a few months back, so it would be nice to see the full documentary in all it's glory. I wouldn't worry if you've just got the BDs.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:35 AM   #1953
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
It's been discussed pretty recently if you want to go back and read it. Basically they're SD on both releases but when they moved them to blu ray the compression or something was different, and they look slightly worse. It's not a big deal IMO, especially for an SD documentary, but others seem more bothered by it.

Could also have something to do with scaling. I know my BD player has such great scaling that my DS9 DVD version of "Trials and Tribble-ations" looks better than the blu ray SD version on the TOS blu rays.
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (01-26-2015)
Old 01-26-2015, 05:43 AM   #1954
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010

The only place Dangerous Days really looks worse on the BD - at least to me - is in the text (names and such, when displayed for interviews), which comes across as very blocky, with lots of aliasing. For the most part, it looks fine. It's not something that's gonna bug me, considering it's not the movie...just a "Making Of" doc about the movie. Even though it is one of my favorite "Making Of" docs.

Basically, yeah, I think that whatever method they used to upscale the doc for the BD was simply inferior to the upscaling that your average BD player does for the DVD version of the doc.
Thanks given by:
Early Memphis (01-26-2015)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America