Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99
1 hr ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99
8 hrs ago
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$14.96
2 hrs ago
Inside Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99
14 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

A Good Day to Die Hard (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Bourne Ultimatum (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #7041

Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
Sorry but Scream already confirmed, multiple times, they only have the licensing rights to 6, H20, and Resurrection as part of the sets with Anchor Bay.

Any new special editions of these films would have to be handled by Lionsgate.
Not quite. What Scream has apparently said is that their current license agreement only applies to including the films in the boxed set.

That has nothing to do with what other license agreements could be entered into in the future.

Unless one has access to the licensing agreements Miramax has drawn up with Lionsgate and Anchor Bay/Scream respectively, there's no way to know what the terms are, and certainly no way to know whether Lionsgate already has exclusive licensing rights to stand-alone special editions.

I understand emphasizing the boxed-set exclusivity right now. There's no way Anchor Bay and Scream would put out a big boxed set, and then immediately even imply the possibility that the majority of the "new" stuff exclusive to the boxed set (the stuff that many folks are primarily buying the boxed set for) might be released on its own in a year or two.

It has been said the films are very expensive to license. But I would tend to doubt that Miramax would simply deny Anchor Bay and Scream if they wanted to pay enough money to do a new license for stand-alone releases. It would be easy money for everybody. Most (if not all) of the work is already done. They would just need to repackage the things.

Does anyone think Lionsgate is going to do their own special edition with all new, independently-produced special features? They could essentially license back all of Anchor Bay and Scream's special features. But simply reissuing the cheapie Echo Bridge BD tells me Lionsgate and Miramax don't have a huge interest in any of this. It would be much easier to simply issue a license to Anchor Bay/Scream to do standalone releases.

Any Anchor Bay/Scream release wouldn't even particularly be competing with the barebones Lionsgate release of the films, as those are always going to be infinitely cheaper.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #7042

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeasneededforpain View Post
It pisses me off that this 35th Anniversary Edition doesn't have the mono mix (despite advertising that it does) but yet the '78 version of Halloween in the new Halloween boxed set has the mono mix with no problems.
Don't forget the new commentary as well. I would have understood if it was 10 years later and they released a better edition but to release the 35th anniversary edition and then not long after release a better version in a box set is pretty annoying. That's basically giving a big "screw you" to those who bought the digibook. This will just make me hold off in the future before buying anything.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:22 AM   #7043
Expert Member

Jul 2014

So is the book that comes in the cased version smaller than the digibook one?
Old 11-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #7044
Expert Member

Jul 2009

Does anyone think the 40th Anniversary of this movie will look better? Was this release a mastered in 4K one? If not maybe the 40th Anniversary will be, and thus look better.
TV Sony 40" 1080P KDL-40SL150
SOUND SYSTEM DENON 2313CI
SPEAKERS KLIPSCH RC500 CENTER CHANNEL
KLIPSCH RF600B TOWERS KLIPSCH RS400 SURROUNDS
SUB SVS PB-1000
BLU-RAY PLAYER PS3 120GB Slim With 1 1TB EXTERNAL HD & 1 2TB EXTERNAL HD
BLU-RAYS 386 & Counting
200 Blu-Ray's Collection Milestone Aug 31, 2011
Old 11-03-2014, 12:52 AM   #7045
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2011

My wife surprised me with this. PQ looks amazing.
Old 11-03-2014, 01:09 AM   #7046
Special Member

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayjunkie View Post
Does anyone think the 40th Anniversary of this movie will look better? Was this release a mastered in 4K one? If not maybe the 40th Anniversary will be, and thus look better.
Not mastered in 4k but, looks phenomenal!!!!
Old 11-03-2014, 01:14 AM   #7047
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by blurayjunkie View Post
I don't think the movie can look much better on standard blu ray. I won't even think about an upgrade until the actual 4k format comes along.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:20 AM   #7048
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2007
Haddonfield, IL

I compared the 2007 version with this version on my 55" the other day...the 35th blows the 2007 out of the water in every way. It has beautiful grain structure and the color timing is so fall like. It's like watching it again for the first time.
Sh*t Earl...it's Ted Holister.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America