Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
George A. Romero: Between Night and Dawn (Blu-ray)
$62.89
Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$56.44
Atomic Blonde 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.75
Three O'Clock High (Blu-ray)
$14.49
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$37.61
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.29
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.59
Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me (Blu-ray)
$25.99
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.59
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 12-02-2016, 11:02 PM   #501
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I mean, my DS9 sets have been on a shelf or in a box for 10+ years now and have no damage.
Mine as well. This year I opened them up again to rip the series (and Voyager) in full to an external hard drive so I can watch all of Trek on my Raspberry Pi (making special playlists for certain types of episodes has become my holiday pastime as of late -- it's fun ) and I noticed no deterioration of the packaging -- of either series.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:44 AM   #502

Mar 2011
Default Hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlouisbarrett View Post
For those that haven't heard (and it's certainly possible not many have), CBS is finally doing a rerelease of DS9 in February. On DVD. While it's obviously not the announcement we've all been waiting for, I still think it's a positive step. This show has only been released ONCE (!) on DVD in North America, way back in 2003, so perhaps this reissue will generate more interest/new fans and thus open CBS' minds to an HD remastering? I'm gonna stay positive and keep dreaming...

Source
The problem here is... how many have become DS9 fans since 2003? I am sure most long time Star Trek fans DID get these seasons back then; and the only thing that is happening in February of 2017 is that the same dvds are being repacked into a bigger plastic case with a nice new slip-box!

If people don't double-dip, then they will be blamed for THAT being the reason it didn't make it to bluray. I am personally NOT going to double dip. I like the DS9 DVDs that I already have. If CBS wants MY money they will cough up the blurays or lose their shirts on a dvd set that nobody is going to buy (because they already have it.)

The plus side is that it appears the new releases will be much cheaper than trying to purchase the much older sets. (Go figure...)

I think DVDs are a step backwards. UHD equipment has already started to become the new standard. Dvds are on their way to being buried in history along with the VHS and 8-tracks.

Last edited by MetalElf; 12-08-2016 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #503
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

It's just a budget set for people who never wanted to pay for it before. CBS has done a ton of these cheaper bundle sets, it's nothing really surprising and I doubt it relates much to an HD master either way.

They might be new discs though, since the old ones are Paramount branded. They might want to do new discs with the CBS logo and whatnot. Probably will be the same audio and video files though, which to be fair looks pretty good starting in season four, and seasons 1-3 probably can't look better without a remaster.
Thanks given by:
Jlouisbarrett (12-08-2016)
Old 12-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #504
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Region Free

Oddly enough I find myself as someone who may be picking up the new DS9 set. I only recently gave DS9 a chance and ended up really enjoying it (never purchased the old DVD set).

At some point I'll probably re watch the series and if the DVD's (upscaled) are the best it can look for the foreseeable future, then I'll likely bite.
Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT60 - Yamaha Aventage RX-A860 - (C) Infinity PC351, (FL/FR) Infinity P363's, (Rears) Infinity P163's
Old 01-05-2017, 05:32 AM   #505
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Calgary, AB, Canada

Aired on TV 24 years ago today! Now where's the Blu-Ray?
StarTrek.com: DS9 Debuted 24 Years Ago Today
"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and doughnuts. We wanted strong drink." -Raoul Duke, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Old 01-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #506
Special Member

May 2010
Cologne, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Canuck View Post
Aired on TV 24 years ago today! Now where's the Blu-Ray?
StarTrek.com: DS9 Debuted 24 Years Ago Today
PLEASE CBS!!!
We want DS9 on Blu-ray!!!

I'll buy all 7 Seasons on release day!
"...wenn ich, Aguirre, will, dass die Vögel tot von den Bäumen fallen, dann fallen die Vögel tot von den Bäumen herunter.
Ich bin der Zorn Gottes, die Erde über die ich gehe sieht mich und bebt!"
Old 01-05-2017, 02:14 PM   #507
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2009
Region Free

I know it's not DS9, but Voyager is also getting a new DVD release:

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Com...9GZMD2GMC021CD
Panasonic Viera TC-P55VT60 - Yamaha Aventage RX-A860 - (C) Infinity PC351, (FL/FR) Infinity P363's, (Rears) Infinity P163's
Old 01-05-2017, 02:54 PM   #508
Special Member

May 2010
Cologne, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post

Yeah DS9 and Voyager will be re-released on DVD (same Discs as before).
I am happy for the availability of these shows and less costs for DVD buyers BUT DS9 has to be remastered like TNG sooner or later.
"...wenn ich, Aguirre, will, dass die Vögel tot von den Bäumen fallen, dann fallen die Vögel tot von den Bäumen herunter.
Ich bin der Zorn Gottes, die Erde über die ich gehe sieht mich und bebt!"
Old 01-07-2017, 11:44 AM   #509
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Calgary, AB, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasRetroKid View Post

What's a DVD? Is that like a Betamax or something?
"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and doughnuts. We wanted strong drink." -Raoul Duke, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Old 02-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #510

Nov 2010

http://www.treknews.net/2017/02/02/w...on-blu-ray-hd/

Thanks given by:
CouncilSpectre (02-04-2017)
Old 02-02-2017, 09:59 PM   #511
Expert Member

Oct 2015
Bangor, ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielshock View Post
Ugh. Such a monumental bummer. I know it would be unorthodox for a major studio, but I think crowd funding the restoration costs is a great idea. Or we could all write letters to J.J. Abrams begging him to foot the bill as he did for Phantasm!
Old 02-03-2017, 02:28 AM   #512
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlouisbarrett View Post
Ugh. Such a monumental bummer. I know it would be unorthodox for a major studio, but I think crowd funding the restoration costs is a great idea. Or we could all write letters to J.J. Abrams begging him to foot the bill as he did for Phantasm!
What's funny is I feel like despite the fact very few coughed up the dough for the TNG sets a crowd-funding campaign would probably be successful. Millions of Trek fans who never paid for any of it would give some money toward the effort and then pirate the results. Could they raise 20 million? Who knows, but they could raise a lot.

No studio would every try it though.
Old 02-03-2017, 02:59 AM   #513

Nov 2010
Southwest

Maybe fans who are technically proficient could crowd fund their work on updated visual effects and donate their work over to Paramount/CBS in order to lower costs......
Yes, that's probably a dream for an alternate dimension.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:24 AM   #514
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:
From the article, quoting Burnett:

Quote:
During the latter seasons of the TNG restoration, Mojo, one of the original, Emmy-Winning VFX artists on Voyager, who, at the time, was still in possession of many of the original DS9 and Voyager VFX assets, did a re-rendering VFX test on footage from “The Sacrifice of Angels.” The test really looked spectacular, and proved it could be done. But again, it would still take very talented VFX artists working long hours to accomplish the number of shots required for the episodes at great cost.

However, since then, I’ve heard many of these assets have been lost, either through drive failure, or simply the dumping of all the original data.
Adam "Mojo" Lebowitz posted roughly a month ago that he had backed up all his CG assets onto a new SATA hard drive and that "THE DATA IS SECURE." Interestingly, the VFX test from "Sacrifice of Angels" Burnett mentions was posted on Facebook almost exactly one year ago, not two or three (i.e. during the latter seasons of the TNG restoration). That suggests Mojo showed it to CBS back during the restoration before making it public a year or two later.

I think all (or most) of the CG assets and scene files still exist and are in fine shape, just waiting to be rendered in HD. It's just that CBS doesn't want to have to pay to get them back because they believe that they are legally entitled to them at no charge. Meanwhile, Mojo jokingly suggests he will sell them at 10 cents a polygon.

As far as crowdfunding is concerned, perhaps it should be focused on paying Mojo (maybe at a more reasonable $0.001 a polygon) so he'll finally hand the assets over to CBS!

Last edited by Maxwell Everett; 02-03-2017 at 03:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:28 PM   #515
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post
From the article, quoting Burnett:

Adam "Mojo" Lebowitz posted roughly a month ago that he had backed up all his CG assets onto a new SATA hard drive and that "THE DATA IS SECURE." Interestingly, the VFX test from "Sacrifice of Angels" Burnett mentions was posted on Facebook almost exactly one year ago, not two or three (i.e. during the latter seasons of the TNG restoration). That suggests Mojo showed it to CBS back during the restoration before making it public a year or two later.

I think all (or most) of the CG assets and scene files still exist and are in fine shape, just waiting to be rendered in HD. It's just that CBS doesn't want to have to pay to get them back because they believe that they are legally entitled to them at no charge. Meanwhile, Mojo jokingly suggests he will sell them at 10 cents a polygon.

As far as crowdfunding is concerned, perhaps it should be focused on paying Mojo (maybe at a more reasonable $0.001 a polygon) so he'll finally hand the assets over to CBS!
Yep, I do think that's got a lot to do with it too, that the CG assets that do remain are in the hands of private individuals who aren't exactly living the high life so they're not gonna give up the data for free. But CBS/Paramount aren't gonna play ball, and they're certainly not going to pay squillions of doolars to recreate the CG from scratch either.

Well, seeing as I'm currently DS9-less I might as well get the US DVD set at some point, it's only a few quid more than the UK complete set and as it's NTSC it will be playing back at the correct speed.
Thanks given by:
iaragorn1 (02-04-2017), Maxwell Everett (02-04-2017), StingingVelvet (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 05:30 AM   #516
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Well, seeing as I'm currently DS9-less I might as well get the US DVD set at some point, it's only a few quid more than the UK complete set and as it's NTSC it will be playing back at the correct speed.
You're finally going to hear the deep, dulcet tones of Avery Brookes the right way!

That is a sexy DVD set, mega-cases aside. I love the art. It would be insane of me to get it when I have the original 7 DVD releases (which also have nice packaging) but it's pretty sexy. I really wonder if they will be new encodes since the old discs were done by Paramount. I don't think they say Paramount in the menus and whatnot though. Hard to remember.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 05:51 AM   #517
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2008
Rivendell

I'll be looking to get the new DVDs eventually. I just wish the set had better packaging inside. I REALLY don't like those cases.

But, then, the price is half what it would cost to get the new individual releases, so I'll probably just have to get over it.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis
Old 02-04-2017, 06:28 AM   #518
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Really interesting read, thanks for that.

Such a shame that the TNG sales were so underwhelming. In terms of TV on BD, they really are the definitive template for what a release should look like. Beyond the sterling work on the episodes themselves to the absolute treasure trove of extras both old and new.

Once again, it's a crying shame that DS9 in particular can't be afforded the same TLC. Such a great show doesn't deserve to be consigned to the SD scrap heap.
I aim to misbehave....
Old 02-04-2017, 06:30 AM   #519

Feb 2015
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

On the subject of crowdfunding - perhaps a fan could start a campaign to raise funds with the proviso that if CBS won't accept the money then fans will be refunded.

It's unlikely CBS would ever accept fan donations but if several million dollars were raised it might be enough to get CBS to sit up and take notice.

I also think it is very short-sighted of CBS to refuse to do a HD restoration based solely upon BD sales. They should be thinking more creatively and looking upon it as a long-term investment.

Surely a combination of revenues from DVD/BD/Digital sales, re-selling to syndication and streaming services would be enough to recoup their investment.

Or they could remaster DS9+VOY and make it exclusive to CBS All-Access (along with the new show) for a period of time, that might provide fans with further incentive to subscribe to the service.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:15 PM   #520
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2012
Missouri

This is probably the closest we will get to the show in HD.

Epson 5030UB on VAPEX9120
Sony BDP-S580/Sony PS3 and PS4 Pro
DirecTV HR24-500
Onkyo TX-NR646
Front: Yamaha NS-C444 and NS-777
Surrounds: Side - Sony SS-F5000 / Rear - Polk T15
Subwoofer: BIC Acoustech PL-200
Logitech Harmony Elite
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists