Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dragon Ball Z Kai - The Final Chapters: Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.01
Doctor Who: The Complete Seventh Series (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Penny Dreadful: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Billions: Season One (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96
Planet Earth II (Blu-ray)
$34.96
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$68.65
One-Punch Man: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$42.99
That '70s Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
My Hero Academia: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$43.79
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$89.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 02-16-2017, 10:01 PM   #3221
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Central California

I didn't see it as preachy at all. To me, it would have been preachy if they had only taken one side and made it feel like the audience was being lectured. Instead, they let both sides have a voice and in the end the issue was settled with a compromise between the two rather than just picking one side and saying "this is the right one, end of story." I thought it was handled a lot better than when most other shows try to tackle the same subject and overall was a terrific episode.

Also, people keep going on about the ratings as if it's on the verge of cancellation. But it was already renewed for a sixth season last month, along with The Flash and Legends of Tomorrow.

The CW Renews The Flash, Supernatural, Crazy Ex and 4 Others
Tumblr | My Pop! Vinyl Collection

TOP 15 MOVIES:
Raiders of the Lost Ark ~ Star Wars ~ Jaws ~ Ghostbusters ~ Back to the Future ~ Lethal Weapon ~ Aliens ~ Jurassic Park ~ Blade Runner ~ Halloween ~ The Mummy ~ Die Hard ~ The Terminator ~ Tremors ~ The Road Warrior

Last edited by Michael24; 02-16-2017 at 10:08 PM.
Thanks given by:
Batmon77 (02-18-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:16 PM   #3222
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2010
Seacoast New Hampshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
unfortunately it's going to get worse as Guggenheim announced on a press release a little bit ago that ""I'm an unapologetic progressive, "But the thing that I've noticed is that not talking about issues serves a conservative agenda, not a liberal agenda.", and then went on to say that he's going to infuse more of these political elements into the show as a result.

I don't care if you're lib or right, give me a show that's FUN and isn't bogged down with heavy handed political commentary, and sadly I think the show is just going to be bogged down if the rest of his efforts go like this. I'm not here to listen to obvious political arguments, I want to see comic book show.
I'm an unapologetic liberal. I thought the episode was way too ham-handed in the way it presented both sides of the arguments I don't have a problem with comic book shows dealing with political issues, I just don't like it when they do it badly. And Arrow did it badly.

I had to laugh at the fact that Ollie and the Councilwoman (and Rene) came up with a policy that addressed both sides of the issue without ever explaining exactly how it would accomplish that.

(On the other hand, I like that Ollie pointed out that even the First Amendment is not without limitations. None of the amendments in the Bill of Rights are absolute, including the Second.)
"He sits there in his house watching the same stupid movie over and over again."
"Bad taste in films is not a criminal offense."
"Wait till you've seen it."

List of Twilight Time signed promotional titles.
List of Twilight Time Out of Print titles, with dates they went OOP
Thanks given by:
SixSpeedSamurai (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #3223
Blu-ray Archduke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayembee View Post
I'm an unapologetic liberal. I thought the episode was way too ham-handed in the way it presented both sides of the arguments I don't have a problem with comic book shows dealing with political issues, I just don't like it when they do it badly. And Arrow did it badly.

I had to laugh at the fact that Ollie and the Councilwoman (and Rene) came up with a policy that addressed both sides of the issue without ever explaining exactly how it would accomplish that.

(On the other hand, I like that Ollie pointed out that even the First Amendment is not without limitations. None of the amendments in the Bill of Rights are absolute, including the Second.)
in all honesty and fairness You're correct. While it would be nice to leave ALL politics at the door, there's no show that's COMPLETELY devoid. Sadly Last night's ep was ham handed and rather poorly done. I don't mind little niggles here and there at political commentary, but I'm leery of Guggenheim stating he wants more in the show, especially if this is the way he handles it. I want the show to be FUN not a debate every week
Thanks given by:
Fasteddie516 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 04:45 AM   #3224
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
La Porte, TX

This week's episode was more enjoyable than I expected it to be. Regarding the overall theme of gun control, I sided with Rene. As for the characters, it was a little tough seeing Quentin meet Dinah Drake. Oliver attempting to settle the dispute as Mayor was a good call; it just makes me wish the real conflict was so easy.
"If you want to know who controls you, think of who you're forbidden to criticize." ~Anonymous~

"If I find in myself a desire which nothing in this world can satisfy, the most reasonable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis~
Old 02-17-2017, 01:33 PM   #3225

Feb 2008
Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
unfortunately it's going to get worse as Guggenheim announced on a press release a little bit ago that ""I'm an unapologetic progressive, "But the thing that I've noticed is that not talking about issues serves a conservative agenda, not a liberal agenda.", and then went on to say that he's going to infuse more of these political elements into the show as a result.

I don't care if you're lib or right, give me a show that's FUN and isn't bogged down with heavy handed political commentary, and sadly I think the show is just going to be bogged down if the rest of his efforts go like this. I'm not here to listen to obvious political arguments, I want to see a comic book show.

(ironically, this is right after Marvel announced that it's getting AWAY from political subtext and back to good old fashioned storytelling)
My feelings exactly. I don't watch tv to be preached at, and this episode was off of the charts. Just entertain me dang it. And by the way, if Ollie was so set on his gun laws being enforced, shouldn't hockey face mask boy be arrested?
Samsung 55" LED HDTV
LG BD550 Code-free Multi-region BD player
Sony BDP-S570
Polk Audio 50's front; CS1 center; 30's rear
Polk Audio PSW10 10-Inch Powered Subwoof
Dennon AVRX2000 Receiver
Old 02-17-2017, 05:35 PM   #3226
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2009
Trapped on the Death Star

Seems like all of Berlanti's shows are starting to get a little too political for me. I'm going to stop watching before they piss me off. With writers who are progressive they can only fully detail one side of the argument. I didn't feel like Rene's argument was strong enough to reflect why conservatives don't want gun control.
"You might not be able to fight like a samurai, but you can at least die like a samurai." O-Ren Ishii

PSN: Emperor_Keyser
Old 02-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #3227
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009

Thought it was a pretty poor episode that was terribly executed.

Also, where in the world has Prometheus been?!
What we do in life echoes in eternity
Obey the Topus

I think I'm gonna get some KFC and watch some Star Wars! - jbig31
Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man" - Hugo Reyes
Thanks given by:
doctorD (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 06:38 PM   #3228
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2007
Redmond, WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
Thought it was a pretty poor episode that was terribly executed.

Everything you stated is exactly how I felt. Ive been saving episodes but deleted this one after watching it.
Launch PS3 60GB, Launch PS3 Slim 120GB, Launch PS4
Family Room: (TV) Samsung LNT5271; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH; (Speakers) Definitive Technology ProCinema 60 5.1 System
New HT Room: (Projector) JVC RS45; (Receiver) Pioneer Elite SC-35; (Front Speakers) Monitor Audio RX6; (Center) RX Centre; (Side Surround Speakers) Monitor Audio RXFX; (Back Speakers) PSB Image B4 Compact Bookshelf; (Subwoofer) SVS PB12-Plus
GO PURPLE...BE GOLD!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:26 PM   #3229
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
La Porte, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rblu-Dblu View Post
Seems like all of Berlanti's shows are starting to get a little too political for me. I'm going to stop watching before they piss me off. With writers who are progressive they can only fully detail one side of the argument. I didn't feel like Rene's argument was strong enough to reflect why conservatives don't want gun control.
You hit the nail right on the head with that comment. The writers don't understand the conservative view, because most around them don't have it. But when you boil it all down, its actually pretty simple: we trust ourselves more than bureaucrats to protect those we care about. Extreme regulation's only produced more problems, not less...and Rene was smart enough to recognize that. His wife's judgment was impaired by her drug addiction, but Rene pacified her to "keep the peace"...only for a crook to invade their home. Rene even tells Quentin that while he was dishonorably discharged from the military, the reason had nothing to do with his marksmanship. He was willing and able to protect his daughter...but listening to his wife's misguided pleas ultimately meant he couldn't protect her. You don't take advice about protection from a drug addict, whether you're married to them or not.
"If you want to know who controls you, think of who you're forbidden to criticize." ~Anonymous~

"If I find in myself a desire which nothing in this world can satisfy, the most reasonable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C.S. Lewis~
Old 02-17-2017, 07:33 PM   #3230
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011

If Ollie is the Mayor they should be doing some sort of political stuff.

He cant just be in his office talking about some meta human he needs to track down.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:28 PM   #3231
Power Member

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmon77 View Post
If Ollie is the Mayor they should be doing some sort of political stuff.
I don't dispute that they should be doing political stuff. They should just be doing it way better than last week's episode. However, I feel it was a major misstep to make Ollie mayor because the ham-handed way they tackled the gun control issue just shows how far out of its depth this show is in those waters.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #3232
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braktastic View Post
I don't dispute that they should be doing political stuff. They should just be doing it way better than last week's episode. However, I feel it was a major misstep to make Ollie mayor because the ham-handed way they tackled the gun control issue just shows how far out of its depth this show is in those waters.
Did u have issues with him being a Mayor before this episode?

I dont recall anyone complaining about this in any of the previous posts.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:55 PM   #3233
Special Member

Nov 2007

This show needs to be put out of it's misery, it's gone on at least 2 seasons too long. I'm only watching it out of habit but Supergirl and The Flash are far superior, heck even Legends of Tomorrow is way more fun even if it's a bit crap.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #3234
Power Member

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmon77 View Post
Did u have issues with him being a Mayor before this episode?

I dont recall anyone complaining about this in any of the previous posts.
I think it is a double-edge sword. If they make him mayor, but they don't tackle anything political then people rightly ask what's the point? So they try to tackle something political and do a terrible job at in, in my opinion, and people ask what's the point?

A smarter creative team wouldn't have put their show in this no-win scenario.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:43 PM   #3235
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braktastic View Post
I think it is a double-edge sword. If they make him mayor, but they don't tackle anything political then people rightly ask what's the point? So they try to tackle something political and do a terrible job at in, in my opinion, and people ask what's the point?

A smarter creative team wouldn't have put their show in this no-win scenario.

He's been Mayor for a while and no one here was demanding he engage in some political drama.

Once its done, (good or bad or they didnt execute it MY WAY) Ollie's whole Mayoral position is questioned?
Old 02-18-2017, 04:49 PM   #3236
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgmun View Post
This show needs to be put out of it's misery, it's gone on at least 2 seasons too long. I'm only watching it out of habit but Supergirl and The Flash are far superior, heck even Legends of Tomorrow is way more fun even if it's a bit crap.
I disagree.

This has been the best of the CW and the 3rd best season for Arrow...IMO.
Mad Dog is just emerging. The Vigilante and Prometheus have been cool.

The Flash is meandering w/ another evil speedster and the overchurned time line.
Supergirl's Mon-El love arc is written for a thirteen year old.

Legends is cool. I like that Rip is back but not the leader and the "Legion of Doom" has injected some life into this season.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #3237
Special Member

Feb 2012

Ya the episode was pretty cringey . It felt like one of those cheesy "very special" episodes from the 80's. At least it wasn't completely one sided but like several said above it was still pretty heavy leaning. Like continually calling the weapon he used an AR-15, things like this is the reason half the people think people can run around with automatic weapons legally. Hell even the military version M-16 isn't full auto. Not to mention the shooter and the criminals that shot his family would still have their weapons under their registry, waiting period, or any other measure. So I'm curious what their proposed solution was they came up with given nothing short of complete prohibition could have possibly made a difference.

Only redeeming things about the episode was Wild Dog's backstory and the interaction between Diggle and Dinah.
"You pay too much for your whistle"
--------------------------------------
Most wanted: Expanse S1, Dark Matter S1, Defiance S3, HoC S3-4, Blacklist S3, Knick S2, Banshee S3-4, Silicon Valley S2, Gotham S2, Shameless S6,

Last edited by jokerzwild; 02-19-2017 at 04:04 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:55 AM   #3238
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgmun View Post
Legends of Tomorrow is the best CW superhero show.

Arrow is not that bad. Season 1 and 2 are surely the best. Season 3 was so-so but not bad. Season 4 was bad but still watchable. I must admit that Season 5 is good so far.
Also, I'm a long-time Ragman fan, so I hope he will stay aboard.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:03 AM   #3239
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008
Orlando, FL

Yeah, I am getting sick of all these TV shows and movies being preachy with agendas. Stop trying to force opinions on me.

Curtis was just the worst with his "I'm a black man" nonsense. You're fighting crime but you have a problem with someone carrying a gun? GTFOH.

Stop preaching and entertain me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
That what I am wondering!
Old 02-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #3240
Blu-ray Knight

Mar 2010
La Porte, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbie View Post
Yeah, I am getting sick of all these TV shows and movies being preachy with agendas. Stop trying to force opinions on me.

Curtis was just the worst with his "I'm a black man" nonsense. You're fighting crime but you have a problem with someone carrying a gun? GTFOH.
I'm glad someone brought that up, because I was like "Oh, please...not this again." Making it worse was Quentin's affirmation, when Curtis' claim was only half-true to begin with.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows