Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Annabelle: Creation (Blu-ray)
$12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Region C

Old 04-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
Russia Andrei Rublev (Андрей Рублев) (Andrei Tarkovsky)

Russian giant Mosfilm has released Andrei Tarkovsky's Andrei Rublev [sic] (Russian: Андрей Рублев) on Blu-ray as of April 2010. English subtitles are provided and the disc is Region ABC.

Note that this is the 183-minute domestic U.S.S.R. version and not the 205-minute version that is available on DVD in the USA from Criterion.

Andrei Rublev (Андрей Рублев) Blu-ray
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."

Last edited by McCrutchy; 05-17-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:20 AM   #2
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

FYI--For those outside Russia who wish to order a copy of Mosfilm's Andrei Rublev Blu-ray...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
With the aid of pro-bassoonist, I found a Russian vendor that should ship Andrei Rublev to the USA:

http://www.kniga.ru/dvd/595811

I used Google Translate and created an account. Kniga.ru has three shipping options for international orders: Ground (2-3 weeks), Airmail (14 days) and EMS (Express Mail Service) (7 days). EMS, however costs 2088 RUR/71 USD so I chose Airmail, which is only 163 RUR/6 USD.

The total with Airmail to the USA was about 21.00 USD.

I had a tough time getting the payment processor (secure-assist.ru) web page to show up in Firefox, and I had to re-do the order about four times, creating four different orders in the process. but once I got in, the payment was verified (I was brave and used a Visa card), and it has even showed up unflagged on my online banking statement. I only paid for the one order, and I got an e-mail confirmation confirming that, so hopefully the other three will be removed from my Order History on Kniga.ru.

I have never ordered from anywhere in Russia before, and I have no idea what to expect from this transaction, so please realize that you order at your own risk.

This being said, hopefully I will receive my copy in two weeks or so and be able to post an update in triumph.

Last edited by McCrutchy; 04-27-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:08 AM   #3

Jun 2009

Last edited by kemalettin; 04-27-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #4

Feb 2010
Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Quote:
Note that this is the 186-minute domestic U.S.S.R. version and not the 205-minute version that is available on DVD in the USA from Criterion.
Shortest version is the best one according to Andrei Tarkovsky:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=2609
"Nobody has ever cut anything from Andrei Rublov. Nobody except me. I made some cuts myself. In the first version the film was 3 hours 20 minutes long (192:00 PAL). In the second — 3 hours 15 minutes (187:12 PAL). I shortened the final version to 3 hours 6 minutes (178:34 PAL). I am convinced the latest version is the best, the most successful. And I only cut certain overly long scenes. The viewer doesn't even notice their absence. The cuts have in no way changed neither the subject matter nor what was for us important in the film. In other words, we removed overly long scenes which had no significance."

Screenshorts:
http://www.vobzor.com/datas/users/1/...125f38c900.png
http://www.vobzor.com/datas/users/1/...f6c5e2c1d6.png
http://www.vobzor.com/datas/users/1/...20062fb782.png
http://www.vobzor.com/datas/users/1/...82bbbde312.png

Discussion (in Russian):
http://www.vobzor.com/page.php?id=575

Last edited by GeorgeP12; 04-26-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:30 AM   #5
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeP12 View Post
Shortest version is the best one according to Andrei Tarkovsky:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=2609
"Nobody has ever cut anything from Andrei Rublov. Nobody except me. I made some cuts myself. In the first version the film was 3 hours 20 minutes long (192:00 PAL). In the second 3 hours 15 minutes (187:12 PAL). I shortened the final version to 3 hours 6 minutes (178:34 PAL). I am convinced the latest version is the best, the most successful. And I only cut certain overly long scenes. The viewer doesn't even notice their absence. The cuts have in no way changed neither the subject matter nor what was for us important in the film. In other words, we removed overly long scenes which had no significance."

Screenshorts:
http://www.vobzor.com/datas/users/1/...125f38c900.png
http://www.vobzor.com/datas/users/1/...f6c5e2c1d6.png
http://www.vobzor.com/datas/users/1/...20062fb782.png
http://www.vobzor.com/datas/users/1/...82bbbde312.png

Discussion (in Russian):
http://www.vobzor.com/page.php?id=575
Yes, from what I can gather, it seems that Tarkovsky was ambivalent towards which version of the film is "better", although the 205-minute version came first in 1966, and Tarkovsky's comments about the shortened version may have been influenced by the political climate of the U.S.S.R.

It is also interesting to note that it is apparently not the 205-minute version (now known in English as The Passion of Andrei) that won the FIPRESCI Prize at Cannes in 1969, although I do not know if that is the same version presented on the Blu-ray, as it is unclear to me if a third, different version was shown to Cannes or if it was indeed the 186-minute version. Moreover, I'm still unclear about whether the 186-minute version itself was censored in the U.S.S.R. upon initial release and if that was the case, if the Blu-ray still retains the U.S.S.R. censorship.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 AM   #6

Feb 2009

Quote:
I am convinced the latest version is the best, the most successful. And I only cut certain overly long scenes. ...The cuts have in no way changed neither the subject matter nor what was for us important in the film.
I always saw this statement with suspect, because the two cuts were demanded by Goskino. I doubt they objected to overly long scenes. Although the statement does mean that the cuts were not made by third party, and anyhow the final version was not approved either.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:35 PM   #7
Blu-ray Ninja

Mar 2007
...somewhere in Sweden
-

McCrutchy--I noticed you got your blu-ray from Russia today.
that's really incredible.
Congrats on that achievement!
as far as getting a hard to get bd, that will be hard to top imo.
you are a true dedicated bd obsessive.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
I noticed you got your blu-ray from Russia today.
that's really incredible.
Congrats on that achievement!
Yes, as far as I'm concerned it IS an achievement!

For everyone who does not read the Criterion thread:

Quote:
Hey kids,

So since the interest is just overwhelming, I thought I'd share that I received my Russian BD of Andrei Rublev today, though it arrived on Thursday (5/13) and I wasn't around to sign for it. Took 17 days from the date of order to package received and cost $21 total to the USA. English subtitles are the only subtitles provided. It does seem that Kniga.ru source items they ship, so your item may take a couple of days to arrive to them before they pack it an ship it.

The shrink-wrapped Blu-ray came bubble-wrapped and inside a cardboard packing sleeve which itself was wrapped with tape, and the whole thing was inside a Russian Post "bag" style package which was entirely sealed and showed no evidence of customs tampering.

Kniga.ru did not provide any sort of tracking and as far as their site knows, this item is still with the Russian Post. When I inquired as to the status of the item, I did receive a brief, seemingly translated response in English on one occasion, which seemed to state that they were waiting for the Russian Post to provide a tracking number, but by and large, do not expect Kniga.ru to be able to assist you with orders in English.

It looks great in 1080p, and I'm going to watch it soon.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:41 AM   #9
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
Thumbs up

I just finished watching it all the way through, and what struck me was the incredible clarity of the print. The credits state that Mosfim had Andrei Rublev restored in 2004, and this is no doubt why it appears massively clearer than even before--in fact, it is difficult to believe that the film in now over 40 years old. The black and white cinematography really brings 15th century settings alive in 1080p.

The film still very much frustrates me and the plot is still not entirely clear to me, but I enjoyed this viewing far more than the last one years ago.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:31 AM   #10
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

FYI--I just wrote a review of the release under the user reviews...
Old 05-17-2010, 05:14 AM   #11

Feb 2010
Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamarg View Post
but i don't think it ships worldwide.
OT: I guess there is a law that restricts Russian shops from the shipping of DVD and video outside Russia. For example, Ozon.ru (the biggest Russian internet-shop) delivers the shipments worldwide except for some products including video. Copyright warning before a movie says in Russian: "It's prohibited to export of these products from the Russian Federation". It's funny that exactly the same warning exists on discs printed and sold outside Russia (e.g. in US or UK) if a disc contains Russian language. I think it's a legacy of old pirate's times. Kniga.ru seems to ignore this restriction but it's rather an exception.
BDs: 1617
Criterion: 168 - 5 dead discs, Eureka: 45, BFI: 22, CJ Entertainment: 15, Kino: 12, Artificial Eye: 9
Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #12
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
OT: I guess there is a law that restricts Russian shops from the shipping of DVD and video outside Russia. For example, Ozon.ru (the biggest Russian internet-shop) delivers the shipments worldwide except for some products including video. Copyright warning before a movie says in Russian: "It's prohibited to export of these products from the Russian Federation". It's funny that exactly the same warning exists on discs printed and sold outside Russia (e.g. in US or UK) if a disc contains Russian language. I think it's a legacy of old pirate's times. Kniga.ru seems to ignore this restriction but it's rather an exception.
I believe it may have something to do with Russia not being part of the WTO (World Trade Organization), but it's hard to find a clear, concise answer in English.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 PM   #13

Feb 2009

Thanks for the review. I suppose now the question is to whether hold out for a CC release with the longer cut. The premium on CC titles probably cancels out the shipping charge on this release.

You mentioned in your review the subtitles was inadequate. I remember the same for the Criterion DVD. Likewise I don't speak Russian, but there's segments of dialogue that seem to have no sub at all. The same was for CC's release of The Mirror. Both had scripts full of poetry but it seems like translators cut corners.

Last edited by schweizergarde; 05-17-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweizergarde View Post
Thanks for the review. I suppose now the question is to whether hold out for a CC release with the longer cut. The premium on CC titles probably cancels out the shipping charge on this release.
I don't know where you live, but this release was US $21 shipped to the USA...CC's DVD seems to hover above $30 on Amazon.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #15

Feb 2010
Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweizergarde View Post
now the question is to whether hold out for a CC release with the longer cut.
It was mentioned in CC topic on this forum that Criterion is not going to release "Andrei Rublev" on blu-ray. The tapes that were cut at Soviet time supposed to be destroyed but they were saved by someone from Tarkovsky's team. The tapes were stored in bad conditions ("under bed") and the quality of these fragments is not enough for high-definition release.
Criterion: 168 - 5 dead discs, Eureka: 45, BFI: 22, CJ Entertainment: 15, Kino: 12, Artificial Eye: 9
Old 05-19-2010, 03:14 AM   #16

Jul 2009
San Francisco, CA

Look what I found :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANDREI-RUBLEV-19...item5192d1e1bf
Old 05-19-2010, 08:15 PM   #17

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamarg View Post
Criterion hasn't released The Mirror. Moreover, the AE disc Of The Mirror that i own, has subtitles for all dialogue.
My memory must have muddled me. I'm probably wrong on this matter.
Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #18

Jul 2009
San Francisco, CA

the russian website says free shipping worldwide for orders over 1000 rub

is anyone willinh to team up and take advantage of this let me know.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #19

Feb 2010
Saint-Petersburg, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by vveksuvarna View Post
the russian website says free shipping worldwide for orders over 1000 rub
I guess it's a mistake in translation.
1000 rub is just a cost of 1-2 BDs.
Which website?
Old 05-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #20

Jul 2009
San Francisco, CA

Quote:
I guess it's a mistake in translation.
1000 rub is just a cost of 1-2 BDs.
Which website?
its the one where everyone is getting Andrei Rublev from - Kniga.ru - i think
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Region C