Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.78
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.39
La La Land 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Paul Naschy Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Sicario 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Lawnmower Man (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Manchester by the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Silence (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Assassin's Creed 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Logan (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 11-11-2016, 05:18 AM   #101

Oct 2013
The Upper Left Hand Corner

Is there a region 1/0/free DVD in anamorphic widescreen? I'd settle for that over the current U.S. DVD whilst waiting for Godot.
Don't squat with your spurs on.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:23 AM   #102
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by infiniteCR View Post
Atrocious bluray. This needs a new master for any future release. Even the Germans are unhappy that they have to suffer through the poorly dubbed German track and not presented the original audio.
Good luck. I like the film myself, but it was a pretty big flop, so any hope that a studio would pony up the money for a new transfer when they haven't even released the old one as a cash grab is just wishful thinking.
Old 11-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #103

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
Good luck. I like the film myself, but it was a pretty big flop, so any hope that a studio would pony up the money for a new transfer when they haven't even released the old one as a cash grab is just wishful thinking.
Budget $55 million, Box Office gross $75 million. Definitely not a big flop, not a huge hit but not even close to being a big flop. It will get a US release on Blu-ray eventually I think, either through Paramount or licensed out to a distributor. It may take 5 to 10 years but it's a great movie, so some label will release it one day.

Last edited by danny24; 11-11-2016 at 08:12 AM.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:27 PM   #104
Blu-ray Prince

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Only because Paramount was using Warner, who do not license, for years as their home video distributor. I would guess now that Paramount have taken control again and are licensing this might be on someone like Shout or Kino's radar. It's a label release world now.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:30 PM   #105
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Only because Paramount was using Warner, who do not license, for years as their home video distributor. I would guess now that Paramount have taken control again and are licensing this might be on someone like Shout or Kino's radar. It's a label release world now.
Right but if Paramount isn't going to pony up the money for a transfer, that means a sub-label has to, and I personally don't see that happening. But they could definitely license the existing transfer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny24 View Post
Budget $55 million, Box Office gross $75 million. Definitely not a big flop, not a huge hit but not even close to being a big flop. It will get a US release on Blu-ray eventually I think, either through Paramount or licensed out to a distributor. It may take 5 to 10 years but it's a great movie, so some label will release it one day.
You mean Budget $55 mil
Domestic gross $38,619,405

Foreign wasn't a big thing in 1996 so worldwide $75 mil doesn't mean what it does today.

It flopped, unfortunately.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:37 PM   #106

Feb 2010

Quote:
Right but if Paramount isn't going to pony up the money for a transfer, that means a sub-label has to, and I personally don't see that happening. But they could definitely license the existing transfer.

You mean Budget $55 mil
Domestic gross $38,619,405

Foreign wasn't a big thing in 1996 so worldwide $75 mil doesn't mean what it does today.

It flopped, unfortunately.
Thanks for correcting me, I thought the $75 mil was the domestic gross, you are correct it did gross $38 mil domestically. It was a flop domestically, I wouldn't call it a big flop like the previous poster said if you account the worldwide gross and inflation.

Quote:
Yes, which is all that is likely to happen if this get's a Blu-ray release sadly, oh well I'll take it.
Old 11-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #107

Apr 2014

Quote:
it was a flop in 1996 but it seems to have a strong following. Plenty of flops have received strong home video releases. Check out most of Shout Factory releases. Hell apparently that Jack Frost movie about the killer snowman is getting a blu ray release with brand new transfer!
Old 11-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #108
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1924 View Post
it was a flop in 1996 but it seems to have a strong following. Plenty of flops have received strong home video releases. Check out most of Shout Factory releases. Hell apparently that Jack Frost movie about the killer snowman is getting a blu ray release with brand new transfer!
Yes, but it's about WHO did the new 2K transfer, not the fact that it's getting one. Even the Paramount titles released through Warner were old masters. If an Oscar-calibur film like Witness gets a dated master form Paramount, then they are aren't going to pay for a new transfer for TGATD. For example, Twilight Time doesn't do their own scans, they take what is given to them. Very few niche labels can afford to pay for new scans plus cleanup, so they rely on the majors to give them the proper elements.

Maybe some other company will (or can) grab it, but again, I don't see a new transfer coming when the existing one hasn't even been released.
Old 11-12-2016, 07:12 PM   #109

Feb 2010

Quote:
Yes, but it's about WHO did the new 2K transfer, not the fact that it's getting one. Even the Paramount titles released through Warner were old masters. If an Oscar-calibur film like Witness gets a dated master form Paramount, then they are aren't going to pay for a new transfer for TGATD. For example, Twilight Time doesn't do their own scans, they take what is given to them. Very few niche labels can afford to pay for new scans plus cleanup, so they rely on the majors to give them the proper elements.

Maybe some other company will (or can) grab it, but again, I don't see a new transfer coming when the existing one hasn't even been released.
Paramount has to be one of the worst studio's with old catalogue titles, Sony aside. They were alright when DVD was king, some good catalogue releases. When Blu-ray came out we got a couple at first and since scattered. Now it seems like they rarely release any catalogue titles on Blu-ray at all. I thought the Warner/Paramount distribution deal would have tapped into the Paramount catalog for unreleased titles on Blu-ray, but we got like Vanilla Sky, etc. I thought this film would come out on Blu-ray with that distribution deal, but it never materialized. So blame Paramount for this being on ice, they have like zero interest in releasing catalog titles anymore.
Old 02-17-2017, 01:15 AM   #110

Apr 2014

maybe that Cecil the lion killing has caused the studio to hide this movie? Lol
Old 03-20-2017, 04:20 PM   #111

Jan 2011
USA

We are going to have to send Mahina after Paramount to hope to get this ever released. Don't force him to use his hands!

Thanks given by:
Monterey Jack (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:18 AM   #112

Apr 2014

if you like this movie it will be available to stream on Amazon Prime next month so at least there is that
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists