Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.98
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
The Apartment (Blu-ray)
$33.03
976-EVIL (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Halloween II (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Trailer Trauma 3: 80's Horror-Thon (Blu-ray)
$23.15
The Vietnam War (Blu-ray)
$68.10
Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Howling (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Dawn of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$15.48
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #3521
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2008
Covington, KY PSN/NNID:varmintx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyh64 View Post
I haven't seen The Abyss since I was a little kid, which was many years ago and I barely remember it. I want to watch it again but I don't know which version to watch. Should I watch the theatrical or extended version?
I very much recommend watching the Theatrical version first, and then the Extended. This is not simply a case of having extra footage, this is one of the most significant alterations to a movie ever. Thing is, I love both versions for different reasons. As such, I think it's important to watch both, but if you watch the Extended first, then you're going to feel like you're just "missing stuff" when you watch the Theatrical.
to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it those who ignore the past are doomed
Thanks given by:
jonahlee (03-08-2017), rubystone356 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #3522

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyh64 View Post
I haven't seen The Abyss since I was a little kid, which was many years ago and I barely remember it. I want to watch it again but I don't know which version to watch. Should I watch the theatrical or extended version?
This is one rare case where I would say you should watch the extended cut first instead of the theatrical cut.

The theatrical cut does work, but the extended cut feels more complete and well-rounded.

Thanks given by:
jonahlee (03-08-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 04:19 PM   #3523

Jul 2016
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck105 View Post
This is one rare case where I would say you should watch the extended cut first instead of the theatrical cut.

The theatrical cut does work, but the extended cut feels more complete and well-rounded.

The operative word above is "rare." I could not agree more. Nearly every extended cut I have tried out (or, for comedy films, "unrated" cuts), they're nearly always worse than the theatrical versions. I'll second the vote that for The Abyss, the extended cut is the way to go.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-18-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #3524
Special Member

Jan 2014

James Cameron is doing a live Q&A on Facebook today

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Blu-ray Wishlist: A Little Princess | American Pie: Band Camp / Naked Mile / Beta House | Bully | Can't Buy Me Love | Kevin & Perry Go Large | Panic Room | Pretty In Pink | RAD | Red Eye | Some Kind Of Wonderful | The Abyss | The Beach | The Forgotten | The Glass House | The Parent Trap | True Lies
Old 02-17-2017, 05:17 PM   #3525
Expert Member

Mar 2016

I don't see why Cameron is an a**hole to his fans. He should take a little time off and remaster these 2 movies that his fans want and release them or allow Fox to release them.
Thanks given by:
Wireduck1 (02-20-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #3526

Jul 2016
Denver

Quiz: Which James Cameron Bluray already has more releases and re-releases than any other???

I don't know for sure, but I suspect it's T2. So yeah, time to move on.

I think he is on record saying there's a 4K scan of The Abyss already made, no? All they have to do is format, advertise, release, and distribute. People will gobble it up! It's one of the seminal films of the decade.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:31 PM   #3527
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
The streets, YO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissaywer View Post
I don't see why Cameron is an a**hole to his fans. He should take a little time off and remaster these 2 movies that his fans want and release them or allow Fox to release them.
He's too busy making sure that the Avatar sequels will be ready by 2025.
This is a snakeskin avatar.

...it's a symbol of my individuality and my belief in personal freedom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qJW0CgP-bA
Old 02-17-2017, 05:33 PM   #3528

Jul 2016
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
He's too busy making sure that the Avatar sequels will totally suck in 2025.
* Fixed
Old 02-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #3529
Expert Member

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Jackson View Post
He's too busy making sure that the Avatar sequels will be ready by 2025.
Then he should allow and tell Fox to go ahead with remastering The Abyss and True Lies.
Old 02-18-2017, 01:42 AM   #3530

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggerDog View Post
The operative word above is "rare." I could not agree more. Nearly every extended cut I have tried out (or, for comedy films, "unrated" cuts), they're nearly always worse than the theatrical versions. I'll second the vote that for The Abyss, the extended cut is the way to go.
I'd say the Final Cut for Blade Runner, the Extended Editions for LOTR trilogy, and the Director's Cut for Close Encounters of the Third Kind are versions better than their theatrical cuts. At least those come right to my mind.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:50 AM   #3531
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2008
France

Quote:
Then he should allow and tell Fox to go ahead with remastering The Abyss and True Lies.
Er the Abyss has been remastered already. Haven't you read the thread?
Old 02-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #3532

Jul 2016
Denver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck105 View Post
I'd say the Final Cut for Blade Runner, the Extended Editions for LOTR trilogy, and the Director's Cut for Close Encounters of the Third Kind are versions better than their theatrical cuts. At least those come right to my mind.
It's all a matter of opinion, I suppose.

Absolutely Blade Runner's The Final Cut is superior, though it does lay down more hints that Deckard is a replicant, which goes against what Phillip K. Dick intended. Ridley can do what he wants, but if you give him a long leash, he'll screw it up (ala Prometheus).

LOTR - that's a mixed bag for me. While I like the extended cuts for Fellowship and Towers, I didn't care for it on King.

Close Encounters - Oh man, I think the story is much better without knowing what the inside of the ship is like. It leaves a deep sense of mystery about it that I enjoy, so I gotta go with the theatrical release on that one. Spielberg agrees as well.

Here's one that mystifies me: Braveheart. I saw clips on the "edited for TV version" back in the 1990s that never made their way to DVD/BR. Specifically I recall a longer and more descriptive speech from the magistrate who slit Murron's throat, and describing for the crowd gathered the unlawful nature of secret weddings under Longshanks. In the theatrical and home video versions, there's snippets, but the viewer is left without a lot of motive behind slaying her (we have enough, but the TV version had more). I wish Sapphire had given us the option of watching the film with these added cuts.

I will forever vacillate on "The Natural." They added 20 minutes, but they took away 9. Sometimes I hate it, sometimes I don't. It's a mixed bag.

The extended cuts for Alien, Aliens, and Alien Resurrection I enjoy more than the theatrical versions, but Alien3... I hate them both!

Wow - I can't believe I forgot "Das Boot." Holy cow, the ONLY version to watch is the Director's Cut, which is if I recall correctly, about 45 minutes longer. Some of the discussions between the German sailors on valor and allegiance to the Fatherland while they're stuck on the ocean floor give the film so much more value in my mind.

But yeah, for the most part, extended cuts for me usually cause me to think "I can see why they cut THAT out!"
Old 02-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #3533

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggerDog View Post
Close Encounters - Oh man, I think the story is much better without knowing what the inside of the ship is like. It leaves a deep sense of mystery about it that I enjoy, so I gotta go with the theatrical release on that one. Spielberg agrees as well.
The Director's Cut doesn't show the inside of the ship like the Special Edition does. It's basically a mix of the Theatrical Cut and the Special Edition. The Director's Cut is Spielberg's preferred version of the film (it's called Director's Cut after all).
Old 02-19-2017, 01:14 PM   #3534

Jul 2016
Denver

I screwed up which one I was talking about. Good call, mate.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:23 PM   #3535
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2008
Middletown, RI (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")

Quote:
and why is he an A--Hole to his fans again? please, give us instances where he specifically said a big fat F-You to the fans.
POLK AUDIO: "LIVE IT, BREATHE IT, LOVE IT, BELIEVE IT!"
TV: 70" SHARP 3D/LC-70UQ17U - POLK AUDIO - "7.2" / Center: CS2 - Front: RTiA5's
Surrounds: FXi A6's (Sides), FXiA3's (Rears) - 2 Onkyo SKH-410 DOLBY ATMOS Spkrs / Subs: 2 PA-120's
ONKYO TX-NR838: DOLBY ATMOS (Ready) - Emotiva XPA-3/Gen 2 - OPPO BDP-103D
DirecTV: HR-44 HD-DVR - Remote: Harmony ONE
Old 02-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #3536
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Oh brother. They were already remastered once, just not released. The HDTV version ofthe theatrical cut of The Abyss has been playing for a while, and it's Cameron's NEW signature teal color timing so that's confirmed to be the remaster. True Lies had special features done 2-3 years ago, which is also confirmed. They just weren't released. Now they are going back to do 4K releases.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #3537
Expert Member

Mar 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerodude73 View Post
and why is he an A--Hole to his fans again? please, give us instances where he specifically said a big fat F-You to the fans.
Knowing that his fans want True Lies in Bluray and he keeps holding it off to go diving and writing scripts to sequels that won't be released for 10 years and releasing a movie in 3D that's 16 years old and that 3D is not even a big deal. He he keeps saying the release is on its way and if it was we would have had a release date already.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:09 PM   #3538
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2013

Quote:
Knowing that his fans want True Lies in Bluray and he keeps holding it off to go diving and writing scripts to sequels that won't be released for 10 years and releasing a movie in 3D that's 16 years old and that 3D is not even main stream.
Yeah, at his age, he should really put his passions on the back burner to cater to a small group of people who want a blu-Ray copy of two of his movies. What a prick.
Thanks given by:
Darr247 (02-28-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 08:10 PM   #3539

Aug 2015

Was True Lies even mentioned on that Q&A?
Old 02-19-2017, 08:12 PM   #3540
Expert Member

Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
Was True Lies even mentioned on that Q&A?
No
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists