Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Star Trek 50th Anniversary TV and Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Alice in Wonderland (Blu-ray)
$9.99
NFL Super Bowl LI Champions (Blu-ray)
$21.55
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$49.96
Martian Successor Nadesico: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.39
Moonlight (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Assassin's Creed (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Jackie (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Planet Earth II (Blu-ray)
$34.96
Pete's Dragon (Blu-ray)
$19.99
A Monster Calls (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Battleship 4K (Blu-ray)
$17.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 05-23-2014, 05:31 PM   #21

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypnosifl View Post
Good point, if they were just referring to the station it seems like they should have said "get your first look at Deep Space Nine in HD", not "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine in HD". Of course, it's possible that whoever wrote the tweet just wasn't thinking about this distinction.
Technically, when referring to the station itself it should be Deep Space 9.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:36 PM   #22
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filmmaker View Post
Well, a "first look" implies a second...and a third...and so on...
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdeaOfEvil View Post
Why would the tweet name out the entire series name 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' if they were only referring to the station's appearance in the one episode?
Yeah, I think those are both definitely tells which reveal CBS's ultimate intentions to remaster the entire series ala TNG, even if it can't be construed as an official announcement. It's definitely not and I don't expect any kind of separate trailer for DS9 on the TNG S6 set.

It's just far too early. I think this is merely clever social media marketing. They're really just talking about "Birthright, Part I" as others have already pointed out. But I think there's no question we will be well into collecting season sets of HD DS9 when the next film is in theaters for the 50th Anniversary in 2016.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2009
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Everett View Post
Yeah, I think those are both definitely tells which reveal CBS's ultimate intentions to remaster the entire series ala TNG, even if it can't be construed as an official announcement. It's definitely not and I don't expect any kind of separate trailer for DS9 on the TNG S6 set.

It's just far too early. I think this is merely clever social media marketing. They're really just talking about "Birthright, Part I" as others have already pointed out. But I think there's no question we will be well into collecting season sets of HD DS9 when the next film is in theaters for the 50th Anniversary in 2016.
so...if they put out one season every five or six months...and there are 7 seasons...then Nov 2014 is too early to start before 2016 movie? They could put them out and in conjunction with the 7th season, put out a complete 7 season collection and it would cross promote the movie.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #24
Special Member

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by erlinmeyer View Post
so...if they put out one season every five or six months...and there are 7 seasons...then Nov 2014 is too early to start before 2016 movie? They could put them out and in conjunction with the 7th season, put out a complete 7 season collection and it would cross promote the movie.
A full seven season set of DS9 couldn't be ready by the time the movie hits theaters. TNG S7 comes out in December of this year, so the earliest we could expect a DS9 S1 set is June 2015. Then maybe DS9 S2 in December 2015 and DS9 S3 around the time the movie comes out in May 2016.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #25
Special Member

Aug 2013

If it's just over 'Birthright', then that's totally cruel clickbait on CBS's part. Plus, I get the feeling they may skip over to Voyager for the remasterings.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgagzy View Post
Plus, I get the feeling they may skip over to Voyager for the remasterings.
Why do people keep saying this? DS9 carries much greater esteem from both critics and fans than VOYAGER. A decade beyond the end of TREK on TV, the overall critical re-assessment is that VOYAGER is the red-headed stepchild of Trekdom, even more so than ENTERPRISE, which pulled out far greater entertainment in its third and fourth seasons than VOYAGER ever did.
Thanks given by:
Breather (05-24-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #27

Apr 2011

Quote:
Why do people keep saying this? DS9 carries much greater esteem from both critics and fans than VOYAGER. A decade beyond the end of TREK on TV, the overall critical re-assessment is that VOYAGER is the red-headed stepchild of Trekdom, even more so than ENTERPRISE, which pulled out far greater entertainment in its third and fourth seasons than VOYAGER ever did.
Is that your opinion or general consensus? I like Voyager and hope it gets the HD remaster treatment, personally. While I may not expect a head-to-toe effort, I hope it gets done regardless.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #28
Special Member

Mar 2013
Dinas Powys, UK

I think that is a reasonable guess as to the general consensus. At the very most, DS9 and Voyager are on a par with each other. No way is Voyager more popular or higher rated. I love Voyager, but DS9 is the superior show. Personally, I think DS9 is a superior show to TNG, but that's not what the general consensus is by a long shot.

I think there was mention a while back that Paramount/CBS might alternate the HD seasons of DS9 and Voyager. I'd buy HD Voyager if it gave me HD DS9. Heck, I've bought HD TNG, despite it not being my personal favourite, mainly as a pre-cursor to buying HD DS9!
Old 05-24-2014, 12:17 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2009
Tulsa, OK (but don't hold it against me!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister_x View Post
Personally, I think DS9 is a superior show to TNG, but that's not what the general consensus is by a long shot.
I've always agreed with this, so we're rare people but not alone.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:19 AM   #30
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

I watched this for several episodes when it started and could not get into it. The captain character was just painful and seemed like a really bad actor. Yet so many people rave about it. Did it get better in later seasons?
Old 05-24-2014, 05:43 AM   #31
Expert Member

May 2010
Cologne, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Darren View Post
I watched this for several episodes when it started and could not get into it. The captain character was just painful and seemed like a really bad actor. Yet so many people rave about it. Did it get better in later seasons?
Oh hell yes.

The third season was a lot better than S. 1+2 and from the 4. season onwards you imo can see the best Trek seasons of them all.
"...wenn ich, Aguirre, will, dass die Vögel tot von den Bäumen fallen, dann fallen die Vögel tot von den Bäumen herunter.
Ich bin der Zorn Gottes, die Erde über die ich gehe sieht mich und bebt!"
Old 05-24-2014, 05:56 AM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lope de Aguirre View Post
Oh hell yes.

The third season was a lot better than S. 1+2 and from the 4. season onwards you imo can see the best Trek seasons of them all.
I might give it another go on BD
Old 05-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Agree -there's no way they'll be doing Voyager before DS9. I'm sure they'll do Voyager, for completeness alone, but the prospect of them skipping over DS9 to do it first is laughable IMO.
I aim to misbehave....
Old 06-15-2014, 05:11 AM   #34

Jun 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lope de Aguirre View Post
Oh hell yes.

Joined just to comment on this thread. As I recall S3 of DS9 aired at during the last season of TNG. If that's the case, S3 was the year that DS9 became better than TNG. The writing had improved and, as I recall, TNG went down a bit in the last season (though it still had some great episodes, like All Good Things).

From S3 on, the show got better and better (though the 2nd half of the last DS9 Ep was not as strong as All Good Things).

There's a reason that TV Guide called it the best Trek. It put current events in a different context where you actually ended up rooting for the terrorists. That's Sci Fi for you. But that's what Trek always tried to do. What DS9 did better than any of the others was character development. Even minor characters were well rounded and changed over time.

I haven't watched the show since the DVDs came out (they look pretty bad now), but I know I found the series stood up well. I liked how they incorporated minor asides from the first 2 seasons into mythology of the series. I'm semi-interested in TNG (as I recall the first 2 seasons were not nearly as good as I remembered), but DS9 is what I crave.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:27 AM   #35
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

Well I do regret buying this on DVD now but I am quite glad I at least got the series for a lot cheaper than it used to go for. Wish we could get a concrete release date.
RIP Navster, you were someone I considered a friend and BD.com will always remember you.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2013
-

Time to either change the title or move this thread to the Wish List subforum because damn is it deceptive.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:57 AM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009
Bristol, England
South Korea

Quote:
Originally Posted by toristories View Post
Joined just to comment on this thread. As I recall S3 of DS9 aired at during the last season of TNG. If that's the case, S3 was the year that DS9 became better than TNG. The writing had improved and, as I recall, TNG went down a bit in the last season (though it still had some great episodes, like All Good Things).
DS9 Season 3 didn't start until 4 months after the TNG Season 7 finale and I would rate TNG Season 6 and 7 higher than DS9 Season 1 and 2.

Last edited by Indiana Jones; 06-15-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #38
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by toristories View Post
There's a reason that TV Guide called it the best Trek. It put current events in a different context where you actually ended up rooting for the terrorists. That's Sci Fi for you. But that's what Trek always tried to do. What DS9 did better than any of the others was character development. Even minor characters were well rounded and changed over time.
I remember, when they were airing, Sisko and Janeway were referred to as "Commander Grumpy and Captain Coldfish", since the series were so intent on following Patrick Stewart's lead for "stalwart" captains, they forgot to add that note of Stewart or Shatner's charm that a starship captain enjoys what he does. That didn't really come back until Scott Bakula's populist Earth-ambassador optimism as Capt. Archer on the first two seasons of Enterprise, and even THAT had to be undercut just to give S3 more "serious action".

I'd tried showing the first few episodes of DS9 to a loyal but casual Trek fan who'd only watched a mainstreamer's bit of Classic but had gotten hooked on TNG. They gave up on DS9 saying it was "too gray and bleak"--mostly referring to Odo's perpetual huffiness, Kira's constant PMS'ing and the literally gray Cardassians--but it wasn't until I started watching the series again on Netflix that I realized that was the appeal:
Staying in one place, there were more "conspiracies" on the series, more season-long strategizing of plots-within-plots, and less of the optimism that the Federation was going out there to make the galaxy a better place. It also helped that they had more interesting characters than Voyager (particularly with Quark's anti-idealist sense of "opportunity" stealing every episode)...And while it didn't go completely over the edge into spitting on Federation ideals like Enterprise S3 did, at least it finally gave Commander Grumpy--who read every line like he was narrating an Allstate commercial--more chance to display a sense of conscience and establish some of that "Stalwart captain" thing they were aiming for.

Last edited by EricJ; 06-15-2014 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:44 PM   #39
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY

DS9 is NOT coming to blu-ray as far as we know.

This thread title is just wrong and deceptive. It should be moved by a moderator to the wish list, and the title should be changed.

As you can tell by my avatar, I'm as sad as anyone else about this fact, but there it is.

And, frankly, the Niners who haven't bothered to buy the great TNG blu-rays have possibly contributed to their show being doomed to stay SD, perhaps forever. Flame away....

Last edited by benbess; 06-15-2014 at 12:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:21 AM   #40
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2009
Louisville, KY
Default write an email to CBS asking for DS9 on blu?

Link to executives at CBS. Polite notes on the topic might help? It's very much of a long shot, but....?

http://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-h...nment/contacts

Here's my note, which was sent about two weeks ago. I did not get get a reply.

"Dear......

Everyone in my family enjoys watching Star Trek. The various Star Trek shows are, in fact, our favorite TV programs. We've purchased all of the blu-rays for the original Star Trek and for The Next Generation as soon as they were released. As you know, the picture and sound quality are incredible. It's like watching these shows again for the first time. And the bonus features and documentaries are also a lot of fun. Since we have kids in our family, we appreciate that Star Trek can be enjoyed by everyone.

We are also fans of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (as well as Voyager), and have been looking forward to the announcement that these shows too are going to be rebuilt and remastered for blu-ray. We are obviously voting with our wallets by buying Star Trek: The Next Generation on blu-ray the day each season is released. Is there hope for Deep Space Nine to come to blu-ray too?

Best wishes and thanks"
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists