Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$48.78
The Big O: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$45.99
Mobile Suit Gundam 08th MS Team: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.39
La La Land 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
The Paul Naschy Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Sicario 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Manchester by the Sea (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Planet Earth II 4K (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Lawnmower Man (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Silence (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Assassin's Creed 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Logan (Blu-ray)
$19.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 08-12-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Calgary, AB, Canada
Default Popeye (1980)

In honor of one of the funniest guys that ever lived, this overlooked Robert Altman gem needs a Blu-Ray release. RIP Robin Williams.

"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and doughnuts. We wanted strong drink." -Raoul Duke, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Thanks given by:
BouCoupDinkyDau (08-15-2014), bunkz323 (08-12-2014), Guydowood (08-12-2014), moviebuff75 (08-12-2014), theprestige85 (08-18-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
California

I absolutely agree. Oddly, three major players with this film have died:
Robert Altman
Harry Nilsson
Robin Williams
Old 08-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2014

Popeye was a great film - I remember seeing this in the theater back in 1980.

I re-watched it relatively recently, and had forgotten about how well-done this really was...It really looked like the cartoon brought to life. Obviously Williams was great as Popeye, but the casting was even better re: Olive Oil - I can't imagine anyone other than Shelley Duvall playing that role, since she looked exactly like the character did in the cartoon...they even got her oversized shoes right!!

Also liked the crowded port city set in the film, where the action took place...fantastic work here...

So, yes, this film would look great on Blu...

Last edited by AnamorphicWidescreen; 08-15-2014 at 12:02 AM.
Thanks given by:
judremy (08-27-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
Banned

Sep 2010

Haven't seen this film but i would be interested in it too!
Old 08-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
Banned

May 2009
The Jungle Room

Williams hated this film though. Not sure why...he and Shelly Duvall were born for those parts!
Thanks given by:
BouCoupDinkyDau (08-15-2014)
Old 08-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Calgary, AB, Canada

The Sweet Haven film set still exists in Malta. It's open as a tourist attraction: http://www.popeyemalta.com/

All the dumb townsfolk always made me crackup. Great music too. I still sometimes hum "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today..."

RIP Popeye.

"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and doughnuts. We wanted strong drink." -Raoul Duke, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Old 08-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Expert Member

Jun 2013

I'm not sure I'd call it a great movie but the casting is absolutely perfect.
Old 08-14-2014, 08:36 PM   #8
Special Member

Mar 2010

Williams films seem to have had a sales increase this week, maybe the studios will release more?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:43 AM   #9

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

I've seen this around in really nice-looking 1080p. I assume its been available for streaming from Amazon or someone(?)
Old 08-15-2014, 12:44 AM   #10

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteberry View Post
I'm not sure I'd call it a great movie but the casting is absolutely perfect.
Its a very weird film. I don't think its even close to being "Great," but it sure is fun... and seriously fun to look at!!!
Thanks given by:
BouCoupDinkyDau (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 12:45 AM   #11

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Canuck View Post
The Sweet Haven film set still exists in Malta. It's open as a tourist attraction: http://www.popeyemalta.com/

All the dumb townsfolk always made me crackup. Great music too. I still sometimes hum "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today..."

RIP Popeye.

Thanx! That's awesome!
Old 08-15-2014, 01:31 AM   #12
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2011
London, UK

Not a great film, no, but quite the oddity and I have a real nostalgia for it.

Isn't there a new animated Popeye movie on the way next year? It would make sense to release it then. Williams's death makes it all the more likely.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:22 AM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
Its a very weird film. I don't think its even close to being "Great," but it sure is fun... and seriously fun to look at!!!
That's for sure, leesa. The casting was perfect, and they're all individually fantastic fun to watch in their roles — Shelley Duvall especially is totally gobsmacking! — so it's a pity that as a film it didn't quite click overall. But as both a Popeye fan and a lifelong Nilsson devotee, I'd leap all over a Blu-ray release.

It's just so sad that it took Robin Williams' death to make a release seem even possible.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:49 AM   #14
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

There's no doubt in my mind it gets released now. Probably in 2015.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:26 AM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011
Calgary, AB, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicguy View Post
Williams films seem to have had a sales increase this week, maybe the studios will release more?
They definitely did. I went to an HMV today and they had no copies of Dead Poets Society, Good Will Hunting, or Good Morning Vietnam.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #16

Sep 2012

I just recently saw this for the very first time in my life the day before Robin Williams passed away. It was on the wtta 38 on antenna. OMG me and the family absolutley loved it. It was the funnest thing to watch. I was actually looking for it that very hour online with no luck. It is on Vudu HDX, and Amazon instant. But I want it in my physical possession damnit.

I know it will be on many studios' radar now that the feature star has passed away 34 years later. I would love to see a respectable transfer with some nice memorialising features of robin included. He made friends anywhere he went and was admired more so as a person than an actor to many people the world over. I am a grown man and still was almost in tears when i heard the news.

RIP dude, I never personally met you but somehow you just felt like a member of my family. we all miss you ...
Old 08-15-2014, 07:53 PM   #17

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
That's for sure, leesa. The casting was perfect, and they're all individually fantastic fun to watch in their roles Shelley Duvall especially is totally gobsmacking! so it's a pity that as a film it didn't quite click overall. But as both a Popeye fan and a lifelong Nilsson devotee, I'd leap all over a Blu-ray release.

It's just so sad that it took Robin Williams' death to make a release seem even possible.
I am a HUGE fan of Nilsson/Nillssonn. I have everything (and LOTS more) that Harry ever released... He has one of the most amazing voices EVER! And he Writes the most amazing stuff that combines Heartfelt Sentimentality with equal doses of wonderful Irony and Sarcasm. Songs like "Don't Forget Me" just rip me apart. I LOVE his work!!!

...except his Popeye tunes. They're not awful, but they kinda bore me. No offense to the late/great Harry, but those tunes never got to me. I'm not sure why.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:41 PM   #18
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2011
Edge of the Accretion Disc
-
-

Quote:
...except his Popeye tunes. They're not awful, but they kinda bore me. No offense to the late/great Harry, but those tunes never got to me. I'm not sure why.
I know what you mean, leesa. (You summed up his music very well. One of my own favourites of his is Something True, btw.)

His songs have such a strong personal voice. Maybe he just wasn't as good at getting into other people's heads and writing songs for someone else to sing? Or to someone else's (Altman's) direction and taste? I agree they're not his best, sadly, but ... they're still Harry. ;-)
Old 08-18-2014, 06:09 PM   #19

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEachaidh View Post
I know what you mean, leesa. (You summed up his music very well. One of my own favourites of his is Something True, btw.)
His songs have such a strong personal voice. Maybe he just wasn't as good at getting into other people's heads and writing songs for someone else to sing? Or to someone else's (Altman's) direction and taste? I agree they're not his best, sadly, but ... they're still Harry. ;-)
I wish I knew why the Music in Popeye doesn't do a lot for me. I always assume its just me.

I love his Ironic stuff and his sentimental stuff (and all combinations thereof). The Point has some of the Best Toons ever Written. "Life Line" is one of my favorite songs about Sadness/Depression. Truly inspiring. And "Think About Your Troubles" is just as poignant! And his vocal range in that song is unbelievable.

His album that he did with Randy is pretty danged amazing too.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:16 PM   #20
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010
California

Quote:
I am a HUGE fan of Nilsson/Nillssonn. I have everything (and LOTS more) that Harry ever released... He has one of the most amazing voices EVER! And he Writes the most amazing stuff that combines Heartfelt Sentimentality with equal doses of wonderful Irony and Sarcasm. Songs like "Don't Forget Me" just rip me apart. I LOVE his work!!!

I love his music very much. I'm not huge on him as a singer though. I think other artists work his songs so much better. But the late Nilsson was musically gifted for sure and knew his way around lyrics and melodies.

I think his Popeye work was pretty great. Sure it is specifically catered (lyrically and musically) to Popeye and that whole franchise, but I really love the song "Sweethaven". I read somewhere that when filming the movie, the songs were not overdubbed, but rather performed live during the take.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists