Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Rockford Files: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$70.77
Heat (Blu-ray)
$7.88
John Wick: Chapter 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.96
John Wick: Chapter 2 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Hacksaw Ridge (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Phantasm Collection (Blu-ray)
$59.99
The Shack (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Ghost in the Shell 3D (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Resident Evil: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.96
Yu-Gi-Oh!: The Dark Side of Dimensions (Blu-ray)
$17.89
Quantum Leap: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$45.95
One-Punch Man: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$37.52
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 08-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #21
Special Member

Oct 2012
Auburndale Fl

Yes Popeye on Blu-Ray please. Not going to happen but inside a can of Spinach.

I still get the Popeye's spinach they sell at stores.
Body by Plymouth, Soul by Satan.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #22
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2013
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkavision View Post
I absolutely agree. Oddly, three major players with this film have died:
Robert Altman
Harry Nilsson
Robin Williams
don't know how "odd" it is being that the film is 34 years old, but I was fond of it as a child.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:56 PM   #23
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
New York

This film was a visual stunner, but it wasn't a great film and it wasn't reviewed well. But I agree with those who posted above that it really did look like the cartoon come to life and while we've come to expect that today, it was very unique for the time.

Two factoids:
- the cast included Klaus Voorman. Klaus is an artist and musician who designed the cover for the Beatles' Revolver album and who played bass in the Plastic Ono Band.

- "Popeye" played in five theaters in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago in "Vistasonic" sound, which was a new (but short-lived) 4-track optical sound format that instead of Dolby's 4-2-4 matrix, tried to encode 4 tiny variable area optical soundtracks onto the print. I thought it sounded spectacular when I saw it - as good as mag, but there were apparently technical problems with it and it was abandoned after its use in the film "Dragonslayer", which was also released in 70mm 6-track. (There was no 70mm blowup of "Popeye").

Of course, there's always the chance that the theatre I saw "Popeye" in lied and actually played it in 4-track mag after having problems with Vistasonic, which would also explain why it sounded so good.

But in any case, assuming those mag source tracks still exist, a BD of "Popeye" could have a great sounding soundtrack.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Thanks given by:
judremy (08-27-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #24

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkavision View Post
I love his music very much. I'm not huge on him as a singer though. I think other artists work his songs so much better. But the late Nilsson was musically gifted for sure and knew his way around lyrics and melodies.

I think his Popeye work was pretty great. Sure it is specifically catered (lyrically and musically) to Popeye and that whole franchise, but I really love the song "Sweethaven". I read somewhere that when filming the movie, the songs were not overdubbed, but rather performed live during the take.
"Performed during the take?" Really? Well, I guess that makes sense. Maybe it was mostly Improvised(?) Do you remember where you read or heard this?

Of course everyone is more than "entitled" to their own taste... But I LOVE his voice. His Range is unbelievable (until he blew it out on Pussycats competing with Lennon)... and its just so amazingly pure - which is in direct contradiction to his ironic, sarcastic content.

Check out "Who is Harry Nilsson (And Why Is Everybody Talkin' About Him)?"
Old 08-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #25
Special Member

Jul 2009

It may not have been big box-office but everyone at the time knew about it and talked about it. Duvall was the PERFECT Olive. This was my Dad's favorite film. I want it on blu.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:37 AM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
Texas

I want it on Blu-ray. Its great fun. RIP Robin Williams
Drink up, me arties, Yo Ho……

Sony KDSR70XBR2 70", Pioneer Elite BDP95FD Blu Ray player, Pioneer Elite VSX92THX Receiver, SVS 5.1 Speaker System: SVS MTS-01 (Left and Right), SVS MCS-01 (Center), SVS MBS-01 (Surrounds), SVS PB13 Ultra (Sub)
Thanks given by:
SpartanIre (09-10-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 12:31 AM   #27
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2008

I'd pick this movie up for nostalgia purposes if nothing else.
Mongol General: Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?

Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:08 PM   #28
Special Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
There's no doubt in my mind it gets released now. Probably in 2015.
This. 35 Years Anniversary would be nice on Blu and I love that film I brought DVD when coming out about 10 year ago and barebone not even trailer and I know Warner own this and hopefully must have an extra (maybe neither some of Popeye short cartoon would be nice in extra too). Just on Blu please!
Old 01-31-2017, 02:43 PM   #29

Oct 2009
Montréal, QC

Why isn't this out yet?!?
Thanks given by:
miller_time22 (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 10:31 PM   #30

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by exolstice View Post
Why isn't this out yet?!?
Strange...especially since I've seen it in 720P on Netflix or Amazon Prime a short while back.
Old 02-02-2017, 04:41 PM   #31
Special Member

Oct 2008

I just popped in my DVD to enjoy in the background while I work, and thought I'd come here to see if there was any updated. Nope. Wishful thinking I know. (heavy sigh) Grateful at least that the DVD has it in widescreen.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:07 PM   #32
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Central California

Oh my god, I was obsessed with this movie as a kid. We had it on the old CED home video format and I watched it all. The. Time. Probably drove my parents crazy. Haha! Grabbed the DVD for cheap several years ago and still enjoyed it. I'm just washed away in a warm sense of childhood nostalgia whenever I watch it. This would definitely be a day one buy for me.
Tumblr | My Pop! Vinyl Collection

TOP 15 MOVIES:
Raiders of the Lost Ark ~ Star Wars ~ Jaws ~ Ghostbusters ~ Back to the Future ~ Lethal Weapon ~ Aliens ~ Jurassic Park ~ Blade Runner ~ Halloween ~ The Mummy ~ Die Hard ~ The Terminator ~ Tremors ~ The Road Warrior
Old 02-02-2017, 09:24 PM   #33
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2009
Watsonville, California

This would be great on BD. Maybe even through Olive perhaps? I'd rather Paramount release it theirselves. Gonna find a 1080p HDTV broadcast of it to make an interim disc.
My Complete Collection <- Always being Updated.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:27 PM   #34

Feb 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by albabe View Post
Strange...especially since I've seen it in 720P on Netflix or Amazon Prime a short while back.
But even then it didn't look great. Probably an upscale.

By the way if any of you ever visit Malta, the village where this was filmed is still up and functioning as a theme park. It's quite small but loads of fun.
Old 02-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #35
Special Member

Oct 2012
Funkytown

While there might be better overall comic book movies, Popeye is easily the most accurate to the original source material. It looks like a Segar Thimble Theater strip suddenly come to life.

I'd buy a Blu of this in a hot second. Sadly it's a paramount property, meaning we'll never get one in a billion years.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #36

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Rogers View Post
This would be great on BD. Maybe even through Olive perhaps? I'd rather Paramount release it theirselves. Gonna find a 1080p HDTV broadcast of it to make an interim disc.
I found a Copy of this recently in 1080P where someone obviously did what you mentioned. Looks pretty good.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:36 PM   #37
Special Member

Oct 2012
Funkytown

Quote:
This would be great on BD. Maybe even through Olive perhaps? I'd rather Paramount release it theirselves.
Oh god, not Olive. We'd get a front end menu (barely) and a trailer and that's it. I'd actually like to get some extras on this hypothetical special edition.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #38
Special Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
I rather prefer Paramount would be nice and I love this movie and so don't know if include Popeye short cartoon as a extra but probably belong to Warner? So still waiting to announcement

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fez View Post
Oh god, not Olive. We'd get a front end menu (barely) and a trailer and that's it. I'd actually like to get some extras on this hypothetical special edition.
I know not fan of Olive Films and love to add trailer on the Blu-ray but DVD does not have trailer but fan trailer on DVD and Blu-ray.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:55 PM   #39

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

I'll take this as Blu-Ray any way I can get it!

I wonder if Mail Campaigns have any effect on the Studios?
Old 02-06-2017, 05:07 PM   #40
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2013
Twin Cities, MN

For "what it was", it worked, but unfortunately, this was always on cable in the early 80's, and I cannot stand the sight of it. Robin Williams and Shelley Duvall were perfectly cast, but that still can't save it in my eyes/memory. Granted, this is the young kid in me writing this. Maybe I would think differently if I gave it another try, but I just can't do it.
Boot to the Head

Looking for UV HD •The Accountant •Basic Instinct •Indiana Jones 1-3 •Platoon •Race •Son of Saul •Youth TV: •11.22.63 •Arrow S4 •Big Bang Theory S3-4 •Fear The Walking Dead S1 •Friends S3+ •The Leftovers S2+ •Nikita S1 •The Pacific •The Walking Dead S1-3 Disney •The Emperor's New Groove •Pinocchio
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists