Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Men in Black Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$42.98
Game of Thrones: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$39.96
Halloween II (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Your Name (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Apartment (Blu-ray)
$33.03
Trailer Trauma 3: 80's Horror-Thon (Blu-ray)
$23.15
Interstellar 4K (Blu-ray)
$27.35
976-EVIL (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Atomic Blonde 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.96
The Vietnam War (Blu-ray)
$68.10
The Howling (Blu-ray)
$13.99
LEGO Scooby-Doo!: Haunted Hollywood (Blu-ray)
$7.81
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 02-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

Oct 2011
Italy
Default Billy Wilder!

I'm revisiting Billy Wilder's films.
I already own some of his films, some not yet I'm planning to get as soon as possible.

The thread's is about the possibility of the release of films not yet on bluray. On top of my mind: Irma la Douce, Love in the Afternoon, The Major and the Minor. Fortunately in Italy we have Witness for the Prosecution, which is my favorite one, but I was waiting the English version because it kinda sucks to have on the shelf some titles in English and some Italian (yeah, I know).

Many I haven't seen and they would be instant blind buy for me.
Is there a chance we'll get new titles? Opinion? Anyone with a cousin who got a friend who works in the trade and heard a guy saying something?

Old 02-03-2017, 04:32 AM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2013
Yorkshire, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by principehomura View Post
I already own some of his films, some not yet I'm planning to get as soon as possible.

The thread's is about the possibility of the release of films not yet on bluray. On top of my mind: Irma la Douce, Love in the Afternoon, The Major and the Minor. Fortunately in Italy we have Witness for the Prosecution, which is my favorite one, but I was waiting the English version because it kinda sucks to have on the shelf some titles in English and some Italian (yeah, I know).

Is there a chance we'll get new titles? Opinion? Anyone with a cousin who got a friend who works in the trade and heard a guy saying something?

Love In The Afternoon is coming from Warner Archives in the US this coming Tuesday & will be region free.
Thanks given by:
principehomura (02-03-2017)
Old 02-03-2017, 06:58 AM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2012
London
-

Quote:

I hope we get a british release of 'Witness for the Prosecution'
Thanks given by:
Old 02-03-2017, 08:20 AM   #4
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

'The Fortune Cookie' (with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau) is coming from Twilight Time on 11th April, and will be region-free. That's one of Wilder's best films of the 60's.

I hope 'Irma La Douce' will be released soon - there are several distributors who have licensing deals with MGM, so the prospects are pretty good.

I don't think you should be holding your breath for 'The Major And The Minor'. That was Wilder's first film as a director, and isn't exactly well-known.
Blu-ray players Panasonic BDT170, Sony BDP3700 (Multi-region), Denon X4100W receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 Plasma TV, 5.0 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds) (subwoofer to be added shortly)
Thanks given by:
Old 02-03-2017, 08:40 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2014

Hopefully The Fortune Cookie comes out from a UK label.
Thanks given by:
Old 02-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
Expert Member

Jun 2012
In a movie

Here's also a thread, although it hasn't been updated for a while. Maybe the OP there can update the first post with the movies that aren't released.
Thanks given by:
Old 02-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #7

Oct 2011
Italy

Thanks everyone!
Old 02-04-2017, 08:43 AM   #8
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Just a word of warning regarding 'Avanti!'. There is a French Blu-ray edition of this film but it is a 1080i/50 transfer, which means it runs at the wrong speed (i.e. the 'PAL speed-up' effect). If you don't mind that, then it was quite a nice transfer as far as I recall.
Blu-ray players Panasonic BDT170, Sony BDP3700 (Multi-region), Denon X4100W receiver, Panasonic 46PZ80 Plasma TV, 5.0 speaker system: KEF Reference Model 3 (fronts), KEF Model 200C (centre), Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (surrounds) (subwoofer to be added shortly)
Thanks given by:
principehomura (02-04-2017)
Old 02-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #9

Oct 2011
Italy

Thanks! If I've understood it, 1080/50 is ok with me because I live in Europe (Italy) and that's the standard... am I right?
Old 02-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #10
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Quote:
Thanks! If I've understood it, 1080/50 is ok with me because I live in Europe (Italy) and that's the standard... am I right?
Yes you'll be able to play the disc OK, but the film will play slightly faster than it should. The standard film speed is 24 fps (frames per second), whereas the film on the Blu-ray disc of 'Avanti!' will play at 25 fps. As you have Region 2 DVDs of films (I took a peek at your DVD collection!), you'll already be used to that difference as they all play at 25 fps.

Some people are more sensitive than others to the speed difference, while others (like me) just want their films to be playing at the correct speed anyway. For that reason, I've always bought Region 1 DVDs of films from the US when they are available.

All Blu-ray discs of films, wherever they originate, should play at 24 fps. However a few, such as the French 'Avanti!', have been mastered from European HD broadcast sources and therefore play at 25 fps. That's why it's worth pointing this out.

Last edited by Bruce Morrison; 02-05-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Thanks given by:
principehomura (02-05-2017)
Old 02-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #11

Oct 2011
Italy

Thanks Bruce!
Old 03-10-2017, 08:30 AM   #12
Power Member

Feb 2007
United Kingdom

Kino Lorber have just announced that they will release 'One, Two, Three' on Blu-ray this summer.

Hopefully they will get around to 'Irma La Douce' before long!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists