Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Gotham: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Supernatural: The Complete Twelfth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Beguiled (Blu-ray)
$6.49
Planet of the Apes Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$31.99
Wonder Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Annabelle: Creation (Blu-ray)
$12.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 02-04-2017, 07:00 PM   #1
Banned

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA
Default Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Voyager: Blu-ray Plans Cancelled

This is depressing news for anyone who thought that Deep Space Nine and Voyager would eventually be released to Blu-ray. Since neither of these shows have been released to Blu-ray, I thought this forum was the best place to put this topic.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the Blu-ray sets arrived as streaming was starting to take hold and physical media sales began to dwindle. The sets underperformed and audiences simply made do with the standard definition episodes available to stream on Netflix. Restoring Deep Space Nine and Voyager, which were never as popular as The Next Generation, would be the equivalent of throwing millions of dollars into a black hole. There aren’t even plans to restore the shows for streaming purposes.

Burnett did note that it would be possible to restore Deep Space Nine and Voyager, noting that tests have been done and they look great. Time and money are the issue:

During the latter seasons of the TNG restoration, Mojo, one of the original, Emmy-Winning VFX artists on Voyager, who, at the time, was still in possession of many of the original DS9 and Voyager VFX assets, did a re-rendering VFX test on footage from “The Sacrifice of Angels” (Deep Space Nine). The test really looked spectacular, and proved it could be done. But again, it would still take very talented VFX artists working long hours to accomplish the number of shots required for the episodes at great cost.
The article is pretty lengthy and very disappointing.

Source: http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-v...-nine-blu-ray/
Old 02-04-2017, 07:32 PM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2014
Orlando, FL

Please vote for the Top Directors of All Time http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=298706
Old 02-04-2017, 07:44 PM   #3
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

I dunno about the plans being "cancelled" as there was never guarantee we'd get them. CBS/Paramount just aren't interested in dropping $20 mil each to remaster DS9 and VOY, that's about all there is to it.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Apr 2009
Out there...past them trees...

Well, on the plus side, DVD reissues are coming. Might as well grab those. Waited way too long to get them as is, but I held out hope for Blu-Ray releases.

It's especially disheartening to hear that the DS9 episode "Sacrifice of Angels" was done over in high-def with such good-looking results. That is one episode I genuinely care about and would love to see in its best possible quality.

Old 02-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #5
Banned

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Well, you're partially correct. The article simply implies that there is serious doubt that these shows will be released to Blu-ray. It also places doubt of other shows being released, such as Babylon 5 and Stargate SG1.

With home video sales not showing any signs of picking up steam, I knew way back when streaming and digital downloads were announced that this could upset any plans for any classic television shows to be released to Blu-ray. I just think it would be in CBS and Paramount's best interest to remaster DS9 and Voyager to Blu-ray. To release TOS, TNG and Enterprise to Blu-ray but abandon current plans to do the same ...

What CBS and Paramount should do is take advantage of Kickstarter and see if there are enough fans of each series to fund such a campaign for each season.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Babylon 5 is an almost certain non-Starter. WBs have never been that 'into' the show and the VFX would all have to be done from scratch as the original assets were lost a while ago.

DS9, the assets exist. That's the most important thing. The rest, is just a matter of time IMO. They'll come eventually, but not until the cost of doing it properly comes down.

I can wait.
Split like light refracted....
....across a moonlit mile
Old 02-04-2017, 08:58 PM   #7
Blu-ray Emperor

Feb 2009
District 13
Send a message via AIM to Batman1980

At this point I'm not expecting DS9 till it actually happens so this isn't surprising.
RIP Navster, you were someone I considered a friend and BD.com will always remember you.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:11 PM   #8
Banned

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

From the way I understand it, J Michael Straczynski has always had a spotty relationship with TBS and with Warner Brothers over that show. The last I heard, he was trying to reboot the series as a movie franchise for the box office. But, I think after Crusade failed to pick up any steam (the premise was too stupid in the first place), it's not surprising that they didn't want to remaster the series.

I'm not sure, but I think Warner Brothers still owns the rights to the series and that JMS doesn't fully own the rights to the series. It's similar to the Firefly series, which Fox still currently owns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
Babylon 5 is an almost certain non-Starter. WBs have never been that 'into' the show and the VFX would all have to be done from scratch as the original assets were lost a while ago.

DS9, the assets exist. That's the most important thing. The rest, is just a matter of time IMO. They'll come eventually, but not until the cost of doing it properly comes down.

I can wait.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:17 PM   #9
Power Member

Nov 2007

I thought this was old news?
Old 02-05-2017, 12:34 AM   #10
Banned

Dec 2009
Michigan, USA

Did you even bother to check out the link instead of crying about the topic?
Old 02-05-2017, 01:26 AM   #11
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

"Canceled" lulz.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:22 AM   #12
Special Member

May 2010
Cologne, Germany

I would start to dance and sing if Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (or Babylon 5) would be remastered in HD.

DS9 I still think it will eventually be done mostly for it be future proofed for streaming and broadcasting.

I will buy Blu-ray sets of these shows instantly.
Even Voyager I would give another chance and support their effort if they remaster it.
"...wenn ich, Aguirre, will, dass die Vögel tot von den Bäumen fallen, dann fallen die Vögel tot von den Bäumen herunter.
Ich bin der Zorn Gottes, die Erde über die ich gehe sieht mich und bebt!"
Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #13
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

If a genie gave me three wishes I wouldn't waste one on Star Trek remasters, but I would perhaps wish for enough money to buy CBS, remaster the Trek shows and make more Trek shows my way, and then retire to an island filled with topless women and BBQ ribs.
Thanks given by:
bdmckinl (02-14-2017), Shalashaska (04-13-2017)
Old 02-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #14

Sep 2010

Oh well. I'm just glad they are both on Netflix UK at the moment. The DVD boxset prices have been a bit of a joke.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #15
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockin View Post
Oh well. I'm just glad they are both on Netflix UK at the moment. The DVD boxset prices have been a bit of a joke.
They are releasing new "it's 2017 and media is worthless" budget sets in the States. I am sure they'll do the same in the UK soon enough, with glorious PAL speed up.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #16

Nov 2009
near Schaffhausen, Switzerland

very disappointing :-(
dont have Netflix because needing highspeet Internet which we dont have in our village :-(
Old 02-14-2017, 01:46 PM   #17
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
They are releasing new "it's 2017 and media is worthless" budget sets in the States. I am sure they'll do the same in the UK soon enough, with glorious PAL speed up.
They already did. My first exposure to those ghastly 20-disc cases was for the DS9 complete DVD set which I bought for £38 about 2½ years ago. I watched it and sold it (for £50 ) in the hope that Blu versions were incoming, but currently that's dead in the water. And now that there's a budget US set - bearing in mind that importing any previous US DVD versions would've been insanely expensive which is why I've never really seen it at the proper speed - that I can get for about £57 on wow HD then I might as well go for that.
Old 02-14-2017, 09:56 PM   #18
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
They already did. My first exposure to those ghastly 20-disc cases was for the DS9 complete DVD set which I bought for £38 about 2½ years ago. I watched it and sold it (for £50 ) in the hope that Blu versions were incoming, but currently that's dead in the water. And now that there's a budget US set - bearing in mind that importing any previous US DVD versions would've been insanely expensive which is why I've never really seen it at the proper speed - that I can get for about £57 on wow HD then I might as well go for that.
It has sexy package art too. Not sexy enough for me to replace the ancient original releases, but pretty sexy (mega-cases aside). I look forward to your appreciation of MERRICUH SPEED in all its glory.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:04 AM   #19
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

It's gonna take some getting used to.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #20

Dec 2012

Well...
Ira Steven Behr the former showrunner of DS9 is making a documentary about DS9.
He has launched a crowfunding campaign, which topped the initial goal of 150.000$ within 24h.

Many fans see this campaign as big hint at CBS to remaster the show in HD.
So please participate and vote for DS9 in HD and spread this campaign across the www.

Link to the campaign: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/w...ace-nine-doc#/

Link to the trekcore article: http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/02/ira...ding-campaign/
Thanks given by:
bdmckinl (02-16-2017)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists