Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
George A. Romero: Between Night and Dawn (Blu-ray)
$62.89
Kong: Skull Island (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Friday Night Lights: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$56.44
Atomic Blonde 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.75
Wonder Woman 3D (Blu-ray)
$37.61
Three O'Clock High (Blu-ray)
$14.49
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial 4K (Blu-ray)
$34.29
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Baby Driver 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Terminator 2: Judgment Day 4K (Blu-ray)
$16.59
Close Encounters of the Third Kind 4K (Blu-ray)
$48.59
Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie (Blu-ray)
$19.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 02-16-2017, 09:36 PM   #21
Expert Member

Mar 2013
Syracuse, NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
If a genie gave me three wishes I wouldn't waste one on Star Trek remasters, but I would perhaps wish for enough money to buy CBS, remaster the Trek shows and make more Trek shows my way, and then retire to an island filled with topless women and BBQ ribs.
Well, careful with those wishes....according to practically every TV show or movie there is always a catch, especially how you word it. It's all in the details.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:17 AM   #22
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carton Nez View Post
Well...
Ira Steven Behr the former showrunner of DS9 is making a documentary about DS9.
He has launched a crowfunding campaign, which topped the initial goal of 150.000$ within 24h.

Many fans see this campaign as big hint at CBS to remaster the show in HD.
So please participate and vote for DS9 in HD and spread this campaign across the www.
I think it is silly for anyone to imply this would lead to an HD remaster by CBS.
Old 02-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #23

Feb 2014

I hope someone contacts RMB regarding a potential Kickstarter campaign and what would be needed from the fan side and from CBS's side. I'm sure it's doable. It's only money, after all. Maybe some rich Trek fan will throw in a few hundred Gs here and there, who knows...
Thanks given by:
Lope de Aguirre (02-20-2017), PrestonXI (02-19-2017), zmarty (02-19-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 04:47 AM   #24
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Kittrell, NC

I don't think you can cancel a thing that was never began... but that said, I feel like these will happen someday. Perhaps not as home released Blu-rays... but at some point they will realize it will be worth the investment to future-proof them and charge more for them to streaming services and syndication.

Consider that Voyager is now airing on BBC America... I haven't seen Voyage on TV in years before this recent deal... that's like free money to CBS because this show paid for itself long ago. All they need to do is realize they can make their upgrading money back through syndication worldwide and streaming deals... and then there will be value in it.

Might not see a home release, though, if by that time people have just stopped buying things.
Old 02-27-2017, 11:24 AM   #25
Blu-ray Archduke

Feb 2009
Swanage, Engerland

But the whole point is that they're already getting money for nothing with these streaming deals etc, if they're going to spend a minimum of 8 figures on remastering then they want to see a return on that specific investment.

Yeah, they could charge more for their services when the streaming deals are up for renewal but, as RMB pointed out, the HD versions of TNG didn't make a splash on streaming because people - and I think we could regard most habitual streamers, if not the general public at large, as not being super-concerned about PQ and tech stuff - were utterly blasé about what it took to remaster them in the first place.
Thanks given by:
StingingVelvet (02-28-2017), thatguamguy (07-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 03:34 AM   #26
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Yep. When multiple insiders say the same thing it's time to believe it, and they all say broadcasters and streamers care very little about old shows being in HD. The only real way I see streaming being an influence is if CBS' service gets exclusive Star Trek streaming eventually and wants to make that more enticing for Trekkers. The new show will probably take care of that though, especially if it never comes to disc (which I fear will be the case).
Old 03-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #27

Aug 2008

The DS9-Documentary that is currently on raising funds for the documentary on indiegogo.com has announced, that they are trying to get the original negatives from CBS to include the clips from the series in rescanned HD. They apparently also have reached out to some of the people that created the CGI back then like Doug Drexler, so some of the CGI-Sequences can be redone in HD. They are not sure if it's going to happen, but they have provided Trekmovie.com with a Video of what it could look like:

Thanks given by:
KMFDMvsEnya (03-02-2017), PrestonXI (03-01-2017), Socko (07-24-2017), The Valeyard (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 10:22 PM   #28

Feb 2014

Holy fudge.
Thanks given by:
iaragorn1 (03-01-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #29
Expert Member

Dec 2010
Building Theme Parks and Attractions around the world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T View Post

Wow!
Old 03-02-2017, 04:01 PM   #30
Special Member

May 2010
Cologne, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap.T View Post
The DS9-Documentary that is currently on raising funds for the documentary on indiegogo.com has announced, that they are trying to get the original negatives from CBS to include the clips from the series in rescanned HD. They apparently also have reached out to some of the people that created the CGI back then like Doug Drexler, so some of the CGI-Sequences can be redone in HD.
The moment I heard they planned to scan the original film negative I supported this campaign.

Sooner or later we will get DS9 in HD!
"...wenn ich, Aguirre, will, dass die Vögel tot von den Bäumen fallen, dann fallen die Vögel tot von den Bäumen herunter.
Ich bin der Zorn Gottes, die Erde über die ich gehe sieht mich und bebt!"
Thanks given by:
Socko (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 06:02 PM   #31

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

I sure hope this Project comes around!
Old 07-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #32
Special Member

Oct 2006

we need a campaign for voyager too.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #33
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman2000 View Post
we need a campaign for voyager too.
No amount of campaigning will be able to erase it from existence. Sorry.

[Show spoiler]
I aim to misbehave....
Old 07-29-2017, 11:27 PM   #34
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

I've been watching Voyager on DVD a lot lately, seasons 4 and 5 and now starting on 6. It's amazing what a quality roller-coaster it is. There's legitimately great Trek in there, but also a lot of mediocre and some real stinkers. The other shows are all more consistent.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #35
Power Member

Mar 2016

I think there is probably a season or so worth of really good episodes spread across "Voyager", but even a lot of the good ones feel like rip-offs of Next Generation or DS9 episodes.

That said, if you have never seen season 6 before, Tuvok has one of my favorite moments in the entire series.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:05 AM   #36
Blu-ray Archduke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguamguy View Post
I think there is probably a season or so worth of really good episodes spread across "Voyager", but even a lot of the good ones feel like rip-offs of Next Generation or DS9 episodes.

That said, if you have never seen season 6 before, Tuvok has one of my favorite moments in the entire series.
I've seen them all many times. If there's one thing I have "fandom" for it's Star Trek. Not sure what moment you're talking about off the top of my head though. Tuvok was criminally underused the whole show.

I'd say there's two seasons, 50ish episodes, of great stuff in Voyager. I am a huge Trek fan though, as said, so I probably give it more leeway.
Old 07-30-2017, 05:16 AM   #37
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
I am a huge Trek fan though, as said, so I probably give it more leeway.
I'd argue the opposite. As a huge fan of the franchise I'm more critical and less forgiving of the series that for the first time, marked a decided downturn in quality.

While I prefer it to Enterprise - there are actual bonafide Classic Trek stories in Voyager, whereas for Enterprise that's highly debatable, it's still a long, looooooong way short of TOS and particularly TNG and DS9. It being around at the same time as DS9 was particularly jarring. Still, Voyager's loss, getting lumbered with Berman, Braga, Taylor, Biller etc, was most decidedly DS9's gain - Piller, Behr and Moore were afforded a lot more creative freedom. They were effectively left to their own devices for the majority of its run. DS9, was the last time that the franchise was truly great IMO. Voyager was just so poorly executed, Enterprise was a huge mis-step, and the JJA movies are hit and miss.
I aim to misbehave....
Old 07-30-2017, 05:33 AM   #38

Nov 2008
Ontario, Canada

I'll gladly revisit seasons 1 through 3 of Voyager. After that, forget it. Seven in season 4 and onward was a good, interesting character but the rest of it was just...not worth it.

Enterprise lost me about 5 episodes or so into the first season, then I would recognize that they were remaking Voyager episodes when I saw the odd UPN episode promo here and there. Replace Seven of Nine with Phlox (if I remember his name right) and they had an episode in the can. I remember that stuck out to me. The Voyager episode had Seven alone on the ship since everyone else was in stasis or sleeping because of some special space cloud thing they had to pass through, and the Enterprise episode did the same thing with Phlox. Then they started putting Ferengi and other post-TOS aliens on (again this is all just from those episode promos) and I was glad I abandoned ship long ago.
Old 07-30-2017, 07:23 AM   #39
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

The pre-Q introduction of the Borg was my favourite. It was ok though, because the Borg didn't give their name, so Archer never recorded it in the log.....
I aim to misbehave....
Old 07-30-2017, 08:26 AM   #40
Expert Member

Aug 2011
Maryland
Send a message via AIM to TheBlayman

Voyager on blu-ray! Enjoyed every season.
TheBlayman
Sony 60gb PS3 (upgraded to 1TB) & Sony 1TB PS4
Sony 75" 4K Ultra HD 3D Smart LED TV (XBR75X910C)
Sony 3D Blu-ray (BDP-S790)
Sony 7.2 3D A/V Receiver (STR-DN1030)
Sony ES 9.2ch 4K A/V Receiver with Automation (STR-DA5800ES)
Nintendo Wii U Deluxe (3TB ext. HD) and Nintendo Switch
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists