Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Here Comes the Devil (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
High Plains Drifter (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Old 02-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #161
Expert Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar3o View Post
My girlfriend and I thought the 3D in the Scream Factory release of Amityville 3D was far superior to the crap we get so often these days with barely any depth to speak of and even less "pop-outs". Amityville 3D had very strong 3D and many just aren't used to such an aggressive use of 3D, plus there were some alignment issues that could have been fixed if they bothered to get the right guy to do the job.
Yes, it was those alignment issues that were a problem and which made this headache inducing for me. I have an active set up, I read it's not as bad with passive glasses, but it should really work for both. I think the use of 3D in the film is fun, but something went wrong in the transfer. I have a few 3D movies from the 50s which look great, so i don't see why this can't look good with an active set up.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:34 PM   #162

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
The 3D for Amityville 3D was such an eye strain that I resold it. First one of my 3D discs I had that problem with. If this 80s 3D schlock classic ever comes out I hope they'll do a better job with it. The film itself is good cheesy fun.
I think Jaws 3D is worse than Amityville when it comes to 3D errors that fry the brain. The 80's 3D movies are all really poor efforts on the technical front.

Obviously the hyper stereo you see in the old movies is cool and something we don't see anymore, but it comes at the expense of comfort. Good looking 3D with 1:1 volume can be achieved with comfortable parallax but no modern filmmakers want to do it unfortunately. We had glimpses of 1:1 volume in Hugo with shots of the station agent (Borat guy) and many shots in Avatar. It sucks so many filmmakers aren't aiming for stereo roundness, all they have to do is change the lens on the camera... that's it! They all still think like 2D filmmakers still.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:56 PM   #163
Expert Member

Nov 2008

I saw Jaws 3D at the cinema when it came out and remember enjoying the 3D, but with the technology as it was then, nobody expected that much.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #164
Special Member

Nov 2008
In the Home Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaws3dfan View Post
The DVD Format was released in 1995:
The commercial release of the format was: Japan in 1996, in the United States in 1997, in Europe in 1998 and in Australia in 1999.
Old 03-02-2014, 12:29 AM   #165
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Sarf London, Engerland

Quote:
Yes, it was those alignment issues that were a problem and which made this headache inducing for me. I have an active set up, I read it's not as bad with passive glasses, but it should really work for both. I think the use of 3D in the film is fun, but something went wrong in the transfer. I have a few 3D movies from the 50s which look great, so i don't see why this can't look good with an active set up.
That's active for you. It's too much of a lottery for my liking.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:29 AM   #166
Expert Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
That's active for you. It's too much of a lottery for my liking.
Still, of the 50something 3D films I watched on my projector now, this was the only one I found unwatchable.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #167
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Sarf London, Engerland

Quote:
Still, of the 50something 3D films I watched on my projector now, this was the only one I found unwatchable.
Oh, you've got a projector? DLP I assume? Then that's very unusual to hear of alignment issues, even with a 3D presentation as 'extreme' (for want of a better word) as Amityville's.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:16 PM   #168
Expert Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post
Oh, you've got a projector? DLP I assume? Then that's very unusual to hear of alignment issues, even with a 3D presentation as 'extreme' (for want of a better word) as Amityville's.
Yes, watched it on a DLP projector.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies