Best 3D Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
War for the Planet of the Apes 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99

Predator 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Independence Day: Resurgence 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$7.49

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 3D (Blu-ray)
$23.54

The Great Gatsby 3D (Blu-ray)
$8.99

National Parks Adventure 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.89

Monster House 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.95

Dredd 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.96

Justice League 3D (Blu-ray)
$34.49

Priest 3D (Blu-ray)
$10.01

Thunder and the House of Magic (Blu-ray)
$8.49

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies

Old 03-15-2012, 03:58 AM   #161
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
But there's another good example of Pixar vs. Dreamworks:
DW being focused more on "plot premise" and gags doesn't quite understand the pathos of the Misunderstood Outcast and Everyone Telling Him He Can't.

With Remy in Ratatouille, for ex., here was a rat who was trying to explain cuisine to other rats who just culturally didn't get it...Or Wall-E, the only janitorial robot to appreciate "Hello, Dolly".
But with DW and the other third-parties, since they don't instinctively have enough sense of character to know how to make the character sympathetic, the only way they think they can make the character Misunderstood is to play up Everyone Telling Him No, and make sure we know that by making the Everyones into flat symbolic social stereotypes of insensitive jerks. (Like Derek and his wedding family from MvA, for ex., or the other social-symbol Antz.)
Unfortunately, that's still not QUITE enough to make us root for the hero just by default, and we end up stuck in an entire roomful of unlikable characters.
(Just imagine if DW had done Cars 1--The lovable eccentrics of Radiator Springs would be turned into gagged-up lunatics, and we would be supposed to root for Lightning getting out of there...)

That's probably why we keep associating Jeffrey Katzenberg so strongly with DW films:
The poor nebbish thinking "They picked on me because they can't understand me, but I'll show 'em someday!"...Yyyyeah, why do I have the feeling that would so particularly strike a chord with Katzenberg?
I'd have to think it over more before I could comment. Plus see more DW movies. For Antz, Z the ant wanted a different life that wasn't filled with mindless digging all day like all of the other ants. A life of adventure. His psychologist told him to remain insignificant and just accept it. For a character who wants to avoid the pain of a wasted life, Z had a motivation that fueled the entire movie, the need for a sense of significance, purpose, which he lived up to in the end, and I could relate to that instantly.
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 03-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #162
Banned

Mar 2010

Dreamworks started out on a bad foot with me. I LOATHED Shrek (I'm also not a big fan of the Toy Stories) and it's many sequels and that kind of put me off them for a long time. But they have more than redeemed themselves in the last few years with some corkers while I think Pixar have had their fair share of dud's! Cars and it's dire sequel, Ratatouille was a bit of a dud for me and Brave trailer doesn't really fill with me with joy either, so I would put Dreamworks ahead of them at the moment. When Pixar comes up with a great story, they are unbeatable, but their over leaning towards smaltz and neanderthalic humour a lot of the time leaves me cold.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #163
Banned

Jul 2007
The Paradise of New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zivouhr View Post
I'd have to think it over more before I could comment. Plus see more DW movies. For Antz, Z the ant wanted a different life that wasn't filled with mindless digging all day like all of the other ants. A life of adventure. His psychologist told him to remain insignificant and just accept it. For a character who wants to avoid the pain of a wasted life, Z had a motivation that fueled the entire movie, the need for a sense of significance, purpose, which he lived up to in the end, and I could relate to that instantly.
But OTOH, they tend to assume we immediately sympathize with a character just because he's A) the main character and more importantly B) he's voiced by a bankable star with an easily recognized trademark shtick.

In the first Kung Fu Panda, for ex. (haven't rented the second one, so don't know if it improves), Po comes off as a complete, incompetent and utterly irredeemable loser--Well, he's supposed to, he's "really" Jack Black.
The story makes him "misunderstood" by having the more talented, disciplined and humorless Five be so school-bully mean to him and telling him to just go home. Unfortunately, the story assumes our collective "aww" so much that we don't really know why we should disagree with them--The character got there by pure accident and is basically living a lie, for most of the first half of the story, he displays no talent of any kind, causes accidents, and defends his dream with self-embarrassing slacker jokes of "But I wanna do cool stuff!" (Yeah, and I want a date with Angelina Jolie too, but I don't get it.)
In fact, we'd really like to see more of them, but we can't because they're not the "money" stars of the film, and because the script tells us they're so mean.

Think that's the other reason Monsters hit a lucky break--Since Reese Witherspoon isn't the sitcom "star" of the movie, we get a palling-around feel for Link, BOB and the Doctor as a group of buddies.
We think of Pixar movies as being laid-back ensembles of funny characters (like the Cars, Toys, or Mike & Sully), but apart from Monsters or the later Panda, it's rare that we ever have a DW movie that creates any sense of camaraderie except for the character we're "supposed" to like because of the name-casting they spent the budget on.

Last edited by EricJ; 03-15-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:07 AM   #164
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2010
AMITY ISLAND

Finally managed to win a copy off of ebay of MVA3d in the 15.00 price range I wanted. 15.50 with 2.15 for shipping
Old 03-17-2012, 02:06 AM   #165
Blu-ray Count

Dec 2011
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJ View Post
But OTOH, they tend to assume we immediately sympathize with a character just because he's A) the main character and more importantly B) he's voiced by a bankable star with an easily recognized trademark shtick.

In the first Kung Fu Panda, for ex. (haven't rented the second one, so don't know if it improves), Po comes off as a complete, incompetent and utterly irredeemable loser--Well, he's supposed to, he's "really" Jack Black.
I'm not a big Shrek fan, but I can't say I'm convinced that Dreamworks stories and characters don't have winners compared to Pixar, I really enjoyed Kung Fu Panda 1 and 2, and Antz, and hopefully MvsAliens 3D soon.

Puss n Boots 3D could've used a bit more logic in Humpty's motivation to seek the help of Puss' n Boots considering he already had the help of...
On the side of Pixar, Cars 1 was decent, but Cars 2 needed a stronger storyline. Bugs Life paled in comparison to Antz in my opinion, so it really depends on who's watching the movie and if something strikes a chord with them, or not, provided the story and characters are written for entertainment and strength of the plot.. Toy Story, I saw 1 and 2, and both were good, but it takes someone to twist my arm to see a movie about toys I would've never bothered with as a kid; not enough action figures in the movie, too many toddler toys IMO. Other than that though, great characters and plot.

ON TOPIC: Monsters Versus Aliens 3D versus Monsters Inc. If you saw both, which one did you like more and why?
List of Strong 3D Movies on Blu Ray 3D / Most PSVR PS4 games with strong stereo 3D
Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #166

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerik View Post
FINALLY managed to pick this up for a fair price the other day!!! Damn exclusives

Anyway, watched it last night and WHAT A FANTASTIC FILM! The story, the script, the homage, the parody .. all spot on.

I thought some of the 3D looked a bit flat at first, but when it kicked in properly it was lovely! Some of the best pop I have seen in a 2.35:1 movie.

Great overall.
This says all I want to say.

Ranks up there with Cloudy in terms of making me laugh.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #167

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Ray 3D President View Post
This says all I want to say.

Ranks up there with Cloudy in terms of making me laugh.
I can't wait for PIB next week .. the clips I have seen make me giggle ..

You are right tho with Cloudy .. terrific script!
LG 42LW550T, Panny DMP-BDT310, Onkyo TX-SR507, Energy Take Connoisseur Classic
Old 10-29-2012, 02:30 PM   #168

Nov 2010
Trowbridge UK

Guys was this samsung promo region free ? and does it play in 2D also and on a PS3, cheers
Old 10-29-2012, 04:41 PM   #169

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytrader View Post
Guys was this samsung promo region free ? and does it play in 2D also and on a PS3, cheers
I've got the Samsung version - it's region free and plays on my PS3 in 2D and 3D.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #170

Nov 2010
Trowbridge UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotandserious View Post
I've got the Samsung version - it's region free and plays on my PS3 in 2D and 3D.
Thx for reply mate, can you just confirm its the USA version you have and not the UK version, as i am UK and been offered a USA version, cheers
Old 11-15-2012, 04:19 PM   #171

Jan 2010

Purchased the UK 3D releae today. It comes with 3 discs, which includes the original BD release disc as well. As such, there were also 3D glasses in the box for the short, B.O.B's Big Break, which was on the original release.

However, the 3D disc had a few surprises. The UK 3D edition's 3D disc contains some extra content, in the form of 2 trailers and B.O.B's Big Break in BD3D form, which was quite a surprise for me. One downside which might dissapoint some, though. Sound is Dolby Digital, not a lossless codec.
3D Kit: Toshiba 42VL863B and Sony S480 BD 3D Player
Old 11-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #172

Nov 2010
Trowbridge UK

So the 3d glasses are for the dvd version of B.O.B's Big Break, or the 2D bluray version, and whats B.O.B's Big Break like in proper 3D on the 3D bluray ? cheers
Old 11-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #173

Jan 2010

Quote:
So the 3d glasses are for the dvd version of B.O.B's Big Break, or the 2D bluray version, and whats B.O.B's Big Break like in proper 3D on the 3D bluray ? cheers
The included 3D glasses are for B.O.B's Big Break on the original BD release, included in the pack. As for the BD3D presentation, it's MUCH better than the Trioscopics 3D presentation. Along with the fact that it's full colour, it means that it's free of the flaws of anaglyphic presentations. Those flaws only, though, so it doesn't count for any issues with the 3D display and glasses. Looks crosstalk-free on my passive 3DTV.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:05 PM   #174

Nov 2010
Trowbridge UK

Cheers, this was like over 20 here in the UK for the triple play, but sainsbury doing it in there 2 for 30 now, well worth it, was B.O.B's Big Break in real 3D on the samsung promotion disc being sold in there starter glasses pack ?
Old 11-15-2012, 05:08 PM   #175

Jan 2010

Quote:
Cheers, this was like over 20 here in the UK for the triple play, but sainsbury doing it in there 2 for 30 now, well worth it, was B.O.B's Big Break in real 3D on the samsung promotion disc being sold in there starter glasses pack ?
From the information I gathered, yes. The US retail 3D release doesn't contain the short, but it does have a lossless soundtrack.
Old 11-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #176
Power Member

Jun 2009
Netherlands
United Kingdom Monsters vs Aliens 3D (2D+3D+DVD)

I guess I can retire my 2D US release since it features the same bonus features.
I got this one for under 5 pounds from amazon.co.uk

Too bad the 3D release doesn't have Dutch audio though.

2D Blu-ray specifications
Disc size: 42.4GB
Movie size: 26.7GB
Audio: English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Danish DD5.1, French DD5.1, Dutch DD5.1, Flemish DD5.1, Norwegian DD5.1, Swedish DD5.1 and Finnish DD5.1
Video: MPEG-4 AVC
Subtitles: Danish, English, Dutch, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish and Flemish
Runtime: 1 hour 34 minutes and 21 seconds
Region free

Bonus Features:
Filmmakers' Commentary
The Animators' Corner (Picture in Picture)
Trivia Track
Bob's Big Break (3D HD, 13:19)
Interactive Game
Bob's Big Break (2D HD, 13:19)
Karaoke Music Party:
- Ginormica (HD, 2:04)
- B.O.B. (HD, 1:46)
- Dr. Cockroach and the Missing Link (HD, 1:42)
Deleted Scenes:
- Monger's Plan (HD, 2:56)
- War Room Turns on Monsters (HD, 1:49)
- If You Don't Know (HD, 0:40)
Modern Monster Movie Making (HD, 17:28)
The Tech of Monsters vs Aliens (HD, 6:19)
Dreamworks Animation Jukebox
- Shrek (HD, 1:17)
- Flushland Away (HD, 2:01)
- Over the Hedge (HD, 2:00)
- Madagascar (HD, 1:04)
- Kung Fu Panda (HD, 2:37)
- Bee Movie (HD, 1:25)

3D Blu-ray specifications:
Disc size: 38.6GB
Movie size: 32.7GB
Audio: English DD5.1 (640kbps), German DD5.1, Spanish DD5.1, French DD5.1, Italian DD5.1, Portuguese DD5.1, Korean DD5.1, Mandarin DD5.1
Video: MPEG-4 MVC
Subtitles: English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese, Korean and Mandarin
Runtime: 1 hour 34 minutes and 21 seconds
Region free

Bonus Features:
Bob's Big Break 3D 16:9 (HD, 13:21)
How to Train Your Dragon 3D (HD, 2:23)
Shrek 4 3D (HD, 1:13)

Also included are two red/green 3D glasses, useless if you ask me
Thanks given by:
Interdimensional (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 06:10 PM   #177

Jan 2011

Amazon UK says this is region B.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:26 PM   #178
Power Member

Jul 2013

Earlier this year I saw a used copy for $14, but it was the TV demo disc from Samsung (?).

I'm holding out for the normal 3D release with extras, but they aren't very common or particularly cheap.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:28 PM   #179

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbg1 View Post
Amazon UK says this is region B.
They said that maybe because of the DVD that is included. I bought it myself and can confirm the blu-rays work perfectly fine on my PS4. They want over $30 new here in Canada but I can ship it from across the ocean for about $10
My DVD/HD-DVD/BLU-RAY/UHD Collection
DISPLAY: JVC X950RB 3D Projector (106" screen) Samsung 51" 3D Plasma, Oppo-203(Region Free)
SYSTEMS: PS3, PS4, WiiU, XBOX 360, XBOX ONE X, NINTENDO SWITCH
RECEIVER: Marantz sr7010, Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4
Old 11-29-2016, 06:40 PM   #180

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentbob View Post
They said that maybe because of the DVD that is included. I bought it myself and can confirm the blu-rays work perfectly fine on my PS4. They want over $30 new here in Canada but I can ship it from across the ocean for about $10
Great, thanks! I'll order it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray and 3D Movies