Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Justified: The Complete Final Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
John Wick (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Bram Stoker's Dracula / Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Blu-ray)
$7.88
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$44.96
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
Autómata (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Gattaca (Blu-ray)
$4.96
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The World Wars (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Imitation Game (Blu-ray)
$12.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old Today, 04:53 PM   #1601
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan34 View Post
I just received my order last night ( the 1997 edition of The Exorcist brand new on DVD) and I have to say after watching it that I really wish Warner's would have kept the original red and black logo at the beginning of the film. It just makes the opening feel that much creepier!!! Also, I love having the original color timing again during the exorcism!!!! The blu-ray edition did tone down the blue substantially compared to the 1998 25th anniversary and the 2000 version you've never seen, but the original color timing is still the best and what it looked like the first time I saw it. Of course, the 480i transfer in no way competes with the 4K transfer of the blu-ray and the print has alot of pops, scratches, dirt, etc., but it is exactly the unaltered 1973 theatrical edition and that's exactly what I wanted again. I still have an original VHS copy but it's been retired a few years ago permanently. I had gotten this edition back in early 1998 but I have moved a few times since then and quite a few of my DVD'S were lost in one particular move, I can't remember which. Anyway, I'm pleased with my purchase!!!! I got the last brand new sealed copy they were selling at this time and I got a great deal on it considering this version is long out of print, $15.99
Besides the exorcism, does the color of the '97 DVD vary much otherwise compared to the Blu? Also, is the DVD at least anamorphic? That would help a lot image-wise.
JVC DLA-RS4810 front projector (ISF pro-cal'd)
Stewart StudioTek 100, CinemaScope 9 foot wide screen
Samsung 51" F5300B plasma (ISF pro-cal'd)
Oppo BDP-983 & BDP-103D Blu-ray player
Denon AVR-X3000 (REW & Audyssey pro-cal'd)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 1000 (fronts)
Definitive Technology Pro Monitor 800 (surrounds x 4)
HSU VTF-15H sub
Old Today, 05:27 PM   #1602
Expert Member

Feb 2011

Digibook is one of my favorite blu-rays I own:

-Phenomenal film with mutiple cuts available
-Amazing high def transfer
-Wealth of supplements, some of which are actually worth rewatching
-Attractive packaging that also mimics original poster art.
Old Today, 05:57 PM   #1603
Expert Member

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
This movie was originally shot in the aspect ratio of 1.37:1. The aspect ratio should actually be 1.66:1 and no wider than that!
It was never projected theatrically at 1.33. It was composed and framed for 1.85, regardless of what size the negative was.
Old Today, 07:02 PM   #1604
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2014
Houston, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyHitter View Post
Besides the exorcism, does the color of the '97 DVD vary much otherwise compared to the Blu? Also, is the DVD at least anamorphic? That would help a lot image-wise.
Colors don't vary too much. They actually look better and stronger on the blu-ray. It's just the exorcism that's altered the most. It's a flipper disc, anamorphic on one side and full screen on the other. Of course, I watched it in wide screen anamorphic.
Old Today, 08:15 PM   #1605

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan34 View Post
Of course, the 480i transfer in no way competes with the 4K transfer of the blu-ray and the print has alot of pops, scratches, dirt, etc., but it is exactly the unaltered 1973 theatrical edition and that's exactly what I wanted again.
Aside from the soundtrack, which I believe is the '79 stereo mix (and it's in 5.1 on the full-frame side).

I'm also not convinced that a 90s NTSC transfer is the best way to judge a movie's original color timing, but I've never seen an original 1973 print, so I can't say what is correct.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America