Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Gatchaman: Complete Collection + OVAs (Blu-ray)
$59.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$12.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Blow (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Pawnbroker (Blu-ray)
$19.16
High School of the Dead OVA: Drifters of the Dead (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Intolerable Cruelty (Blu-ray)
$10.49
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 02-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #301
Retired Hollywood Insider

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntory_Times View Post
So saying you need a 10 foot screen to be able to see the advantages of 4k is simply wrong.
As evidenced by strict methodology in a scientific study done by the EBU- BeyondHD group with 6 sequences of imagery and independent ‘blinded’ participants viewing a 56” 4K flat panel, the results of which have been published and often quoted by people involved in 4K/UHD standards, then later confirmed by a another scientific study done by the 4ever project group (also published) using a 55” 4K flat panel.

Good to see you debunked that 10ft. screen notion....which seems to come up intermittently on this forum in various forms and fashions.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Click on this to Learn how to HELP by simply texting
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...ostcount=11973
Old 02-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #302

Apr 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Blu-Dog from Lancaster.
To Whom It May Concern - The offers/inquires are appreciated; however, I no longer work only for perks from studio-based home entertainment companies.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:06 PM   #303

Apr 2007

Quote:
Also if we are going to have 12 bit color at 4:4:4 then we are almost certainly going to have to have a new hdmi spec as 2.0 doesn't look like it would be able to cut it.
True or full HDMI 2.0 can transmit 4K 24/30Hz 4:44 at up to 16 bits. Theoretically, if HDMI could evolve from 10bit to 14bit Transition Minimized Differential Signalling characters, one could attain 4K 24Hz 4:4:4 in the 297MHz clock.

For 4K 60Hz 4:44 (or higher frame rates) count on what’s quoted in this box….http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread....ce#post8685503

*by ‘4K’ I mean consumer 4K, i.e. 3840 x 2160 rez. to those who make a big deal out such things.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:15 PM   #304

Apr 2007

Quote:
This essentially means in terms of newer releases at the very least there is actually more content available in 3d then there will be in 4k for quite some time and one of the common complaints excluding glasses about 3d seems to be the lack of content.
My memory is a bit fuzzy at to exact numbers of titles and the exact date, but I think that when 3D consumer displays first launched in retail stores there were about 50 films in Hollywood which already had 3D masters.

You’d have to go thru the following two lists and add up what you deem as ‘newer releases’ to see how those numbers stack up against that ‘50’ figure….
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=218262
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=220755

I think you’ll soon be able to add to the later list, Belle

but first I’ll have to confirm with Spensley (across the pond) and I’m a bit hesitant as I think he’s a Chelsea supporter.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #305

May 2010
Default thousands of 4K movies out there!

Quote:
Yes, but do you know for a fact that in the future that will remain the case? Also technically zero films are available to stream in 4k at the moment in Australia. I actually prefer physical but I see it as more then plausible that the difference would not be quality at some stage in the future. If we defined what we meant by future (next five years for example) my opinion would be different.
i'm confused....why do people still claim 'there are no movies in 4K,just a few"?
i was under the impression that a digital scan of a 35 mm frame comes at best 6K,if the stock is in excellent condition.
Since the "old" movies will not be in the best of shape,even then 4K will be verry nice to have on a BR XL.
And yes,same here...i also prefer physical media due to the fact that"we want to own" things,it's our nature.
Old 02-15-2014, 02:38 PM   #306
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
We do not now what compression advancements will be made to start. Which make much of what you said irrelevant. Jump back 10 years ago and look at the compression tools we had then vs now. Is there something I am missing or is this not expected to continue.
you are missing the obvious.

1) how can advancements in codecs mean that in Oct when I want to watch a horror movie every day and my GF does not and so watches something else that it won't happen any more? and if we both watch something different, no matter what BW is acceptable for one person watching a film you will need 2x that if we are watching something different. Neither points 1 or 2 are CODEC dependent, so they can't become irrelevant, even if you believe X (pure A/V bitrate for a movie) becomes lower you will still need 5x-6x+ in order to be able to watch movies at X with no issues

2) unless we have lossless video compression at X mbps(bit for bit, pixel for pixel the same as the master once decompressed) advancements in codecs is immaterial. If we have a film compressed using the same lossy tools and one is at X and the other at Y>X Y will by definition be higher quality since it will be closer to the master. And no matter how much compression advances you won't be able to get lossless at less than 50mbps, so even the example of what would be needed for old BD specs would not matter.

Quote:
Furthermore this thread specifies simply future without any sense of time frame.
not at all. This thread is "Real 4k disks - what do you think the rollout timeline will be?" basically it isd asking a) when will there be a standard for 4k disks and b) when will we see the first players/disks. So there is a time line and it is extremely short. Since I doubt anyone is really wondering if that will happen in 10 or 20 or even more years.

Quote:
Nothing you mention is in obstacle that would be impossible to overcome.
it is all about $$$ and reality.

Quote:
The one factor that I fell is a bigger question is whether people will demand higher quality. I'm not so sure that most do. The majority do not watch films at home in the best quality available and dvds still outsell blu - ray qround 3 to 1 last I heard. So it is possible I concede that a niche premium physical market could exist with higher quality one pays a premium for.
you said ". It is more then feasible that in the future streaming will be able to provide the same quality as physical media"

that is what we are discussing there are people willing to watch Netflix at the lowest quality does that mean that it equals in A/V a BD or even Netflix at a higher BR? no, so who cares if there are people that say "it is good enough" because all they see is "I can waste a lot of hours for 8$".

Quote:
But once again is there something that would stop that quality bieng achievable via streaming? I can't think of one in terms of technical problems that couldn't possibly be solved.
Do you agree that there are planes? some big and some small? do you agree there are helicopters? Obviously there is no "technical reasons why someone can't fly from point A to B so why do we still have cars and we just don't fly from point A-B? there were "visionaries" that believed because they could not think of a technical problem that could not be solved for flying cars and so they thought those too were just around the corner.

You are too busy looking for a "technical" problem when , obviously from your postings, you have no technical knowledge to begin with, and you are missing that even if something might be technically possible on paper, it does not mean it is realistic in real life. And cost and infrastructure is a real technical problem even if in theory it can be dismissed.

Quote:
I never made mention of physical media remaining fixed or not. I do think we will eventually reach that point as I fell consumers by and large would prefer one set format for films like cds have had for quite some time.
CD is a bit of an exception. Music was on the verge of getting better with DVD-A and SACD but unfortunately over priced equipment and a bad overly heated format war ended up keeping a lot of music fans away and killing both formats. On the other hand now there is BD-A and so you are wrong in saying it is "fixed", it just stumbled until the tech got better.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:03 PM   #307

Sep 2006
North Carolina

The Sony version of HDMI 1.4 vs HDMI 2.0a vs HDMI 2.0b here. I made a PDF of the table from the graphic info, it should print much better.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HDMI2_0-0001.pdf (10.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 04-13-2014, 02:17 AM   #308

Dec 2007
FL, WV
Default Blu-ray 4K/UHD now late 2015

Unofficial word from several industry sources at the just completed NAB show is the BDA working group for 4K/UHD has so many different opinions on many of the details of the new standard that we are now looking at the holiday season 2015 for the launch of players and discs, or a year later than we had hoped. HERE is a link to a video of a Sony presentation that mentions the 2015 date.

Last edited by ronjones; 04-13-2014 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:51 AM   #309

Nov 2008
Michigan

from the Sony NAB 2014 presentation

"some of the factors that are important for 4k delivery of video on a physical disc are gonna be the frame rates the video codecs decided the dynamic range there's a lot of discussion of these parameters that still have not been defined. I don't have exact details to share today we should have those details in the coming months. The disc layer size for example just to give you a clue current disc layer size for Blu ray is single layer or dual layer 25 gigabytes or 50 gigabytes in a dual layer size as we research the UHD necessities to deliver full content of 4K that disc capacity even needs to be larger were probably talking about 100GB Blu ray disc perhaps a triple layer disc rather than a dual layer discs so you take 100 gigabytes and you divide it by three you have a 99 GB disc 33 66 in a 99 on a triple layer so sized capacity is increasing the dynamic range will change video frame rates will be added video codecs need to be decided all of those details to come soon down the road if you have really specific questions about that later on I'm happy to talk to you a little bit more about that."

Details in the coming months? Details?
"I'd unravel every riddle, For every Individual, In trouble or in pain.”
Old 04-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #310

May 2011

The good news is that the working group is very close to voting on what type of biscuits to serve at the next round of discussions.

However there is still some disagreement over the distribution of biscuits among attendees.
Old 04-13-2014, 02:58 PM   #311
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009
Sarf London, Engerland

Chocolate Hob Nobs FTW
Old 04-13-2014, 04:18 PM   #312

Sep 2006
North Carolina

Folks should keep in mind that it took RED more than 2 years (??) to ship the Redray player. Now look at the specs, this thing only does video and audio in .RED format. The Nuvola NP-1 appears to be a more versatile media player but it appears that no one actually has one of these either.

It is hoped that folks will realize the improvements brought by UHD BD will only be marginal in many (most) cases over that of standard BD because of the source material that is available. According to the owners of the Sony FMP-X1 this seems to be true.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology