Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Wire: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Kingdom of Heaven (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Penguins of Madagascar (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Penguins of Madagascar 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Exodus: Gods and Kings 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Birdman (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Penguins of Madagascar (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Penguins of Madagascar 3D (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Blu-ray)
$13.00
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
101 Dalmatians (Blu-ray)
$18.00
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$54.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2015, 06:04 AM   #1521
Bandit Tajomaru Bandit Tajomaru is offline
Active Member
 
Bandit Tajomaru's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
No, never. (Technically, it's the alterations to Make Mine Music, Saludos Amigos, and Melody Time that stick in our craws, there was nothing ever removed from The Three Caballeros). Someone asked if the film was edited or censored, only saw the last 20 minutes, didn't notice anything missing. Sure looked great.
Add Fantasia to that list. I want to see Sunflower.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:46 AM   #1522
Ernest Rister Ernest Rister is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Ernest Rister's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Tajomaru View Post
Add Fantasia to that list. I want to see Sunflower.
Well, that's why YouTube was invented. As for general releases, Walt removed and re-animated shots that were offensive in his cartoons, I think there's no way on this Earth that were Walt still with us, he would keep those shots. Disney's not in the "piss you off and offend you" business, they're in the "we make you happy and you give us money" business.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:53 AM   #1523
Bandit Tajomaru Bandit Tajomaru is offline
Active Member
 
Bandit Tajomaru's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
47
Default

Well censoring it pisses me off. Fantasia was censored after Walt's death. I would be less pissed off if Disney didn't claim the censored version was uncensored.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:13 AM   #1524
Ernest Rister Ernest Rister is online now
Blu-ray Knight
 
Ernest Rister's Avatar
 
Jan 2008
1
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Tajomaru View Post
Well censoring it pisses me off. Fantasia was censored after Walt's death. I would be less pissed off if Disney didn't claim the censored version was uncensored.
I hear you. Still, I think Walt himself would have cut those scenes (or re-animate them) were he around in the late 60's.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #1525
GC Riot GC Riot is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
GC Riot's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden
319
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Rister View Post
I hear you. Still, I think Walt himself would have cut those scenes (or re-animate them) were he around in the late 60's.
There's a bit of a similar controversy happening here in Sweden in regards to Pippi Longstocking. In the original, Pippi refers to her father as a negro king of the southern seas. Now, they've changed it to just be a king of the southern seas, and they also cut out a scene of Pippi mimicking a Chinese.There was a complete uproar from certain people here, going so far as to boycott and saying that they've ruined Pippi, and that they'll show the original to their kids (because, you know, whether or not her father was a king or a negro king really was the essence and central point of the story )
This decision was however backed up by archived interviews with the author Astrid Lindgren saying that had she written it today, she wouldn't have used the negro king-phrasing.
My opinion is that the originals could be preserved and archieved for historic reasons, but when showing something in public, I find it better to just try and touch and entertain people rather than offend certain people. The ones crying foul are imo nothing but entitled, privileged shortsighted folks that really should start rethinking their priorities.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #1526
Bandit Tajomaru Bandit Tajomaru is offline
Active Member
 
Bandit Tajomaru's Avatar
 
Apr 2013
47
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Riot View Post
There's a bit of a similar controversy happening here in Sweden in regards to Pippi Longstocking. In the original, Pippi refers to her father as a negro king of the southern seas. Now, they've changed it to just be a king of the southern seas, and they also cut out a scene of Pippi mimicking a Chinese.There was a complete uproar from certain people here, going so far as to boycott and saying that they've ruined Pippi, and that they'll show the original to their kids (because, you know, whether or not her father was a king or a negro king really was the essence and central point of the story )
This decision was however backed up by archived interviews with the author Astrid Lindgren saying that had she written it today, she wouldn't have used the negro king-phrasing.
My opinion is that the originals could be preserved and archieved for historic reasons, but when showing something in public, I find it better to just try and touch and entertain people rather than offend certain people. The ones crying foul are imo nothing but entitled, privileged shortsighted folks that really should start rethinking their priorities.
What is the big deal if Pippi had Black blood in her or not? Is it because she looks White? My family is multigenrational Mulatto and some members of my family can pass as White. My own Grandmother looked like regular White German lady.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 PM   #1527
GC Riot GC Riot is online now
Blu-ray Guru
 
GC Riot's Avatar
 
Jun 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden
319
17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit Tajomaru View Post
What is the big deal if Pippi had Black blood in her or not? Is it because she looks White? My family is multigenrational Mulatto and some members of my family can pass as White. My own Grandmother looked like regular White German lady.
Pippi's father is white. He basically is king of the negroes, that is, they're his slaves. It's not so much the fact that he's a ruler, it was the phrasing, that Pippi is saying that he's a negro king, and that is kind of offensive to black people.
We have a Donald Duck special run on tv here every Christmas as well, with clips from films and the Silly Symphony with Santa's Workshop, and the scene where Santa stamps the race-stereotypical dolls has been cut since a few years back.
My point is that if something that was never meant to be offensive in the first place turns out to be just that, then maybe one should consider cutting it out. No need to step on someone's toes if that's not your intention.
  Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:06 AM   #1528
JKPhage JKPhage is offline
Junior Member
 
Jan 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlayman View Post
Still waiting on:

A Goofy Movie
Stitch: The Movie
I would absolutely love to see a 2-pack of the Goofy Movie and Extremely Goofy Movie on blu. I adore that film.

As for Stitch? I'm not holding my breath sadly. That's a kick-off to the TV series, which isn't available outside of bootleg DVDs, and followed up by Leroy and Stitch. Maybe if Disney realized the gold mine they were sitting on with all their classic animated series we might get some beautiful things. I'd absolutely love to see a boxset of Stitch: The Movie, Lilo and Stitch The Series, and Leroy and Stitch all in one big bundle on blu ray.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
animated, animation, canon, classics, disney, official, pixar, release, status

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:53 PM.