COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Like Water for Chocolate (Blu-ray)
$9.29
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$45.34
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Friends: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$110.00
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99
The Gold Rush (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tekken 2: Kazuya's Revenge (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Old 02-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Expert Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains
Default Can I watch a 3D-only disc in 2D?

I've got a 3D capable player and receiver but no 3D TV (yet).
Can I watch 3D discs (which specifically are labeled as 3D) in 2D or would I have to buy the non-3D version as well?
Many titles I see come as Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray combo but not all of them.
I don't want to be forced to watch it in 3D if I feel like watching it in 2D.

Last edited by Nisei; 02-17-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Special Member

Aug 2011

If the 3D disc has the 2D version on the disc as well, yes. If not, you have to have a 3D TV, then use the TV settings to convert it to 2D.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
Expert Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

OK thanks. So when you've got a 3D TV you can always choose to watch any 3D title in 2D as well? That's what I wanted to know.
And how does it work then? Can you choose to watch the left or right eye angle?

Last edited by Nisei; 02-16-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #4
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisei View Post
I've got a 3D capable player and receiver but no 3D TV (yet).
Can I watch 3D discs (which specifically are labeled as 3D) in 2D or would I have to buy the non-3D version as well?
Many titles I see come as Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray combo but not all of them.
I don't want to be forced to watch it in 3D if I feel like watching it in 2D.
the answer shopuld be simple but it is not.

Some packages use seperate 3D and 2D disks and then they say it (the combos) and for most of those you can't play the 3D disk on a 2D equipment (you will get an error message) but you have the 2D for that.

With others you use the same disk and pick 2D or 3D and they will work and you can watch in 2D on any equipment

But there are very few exceptions like Fifa world cup 2010

that only come with a 3D disk and it is locked to play in 3D (a different studio has the 2D distribution rights for it). It is the only exception I know of, but there could be other ones out there.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
OK thanks. So when you've got a 3D TV you can always choose to watch any 3D title in 2D as well? That's what I wanted to know.
most likely
Old 02-16-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
Expert Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

Thanks. It would be nice if you could choose between 3D an 2D on the player. That way you could at least watch 3D titles in 2D on a non-3D capapable TV.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Special Member

Nov 2012

What they did with Dredd I thought was a smart move. I don't have the equipment, but at least it contains both versions on one disc.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:50 AM   #8
Special Member

Aug 2011

A lot of 3D titles allow for 2D playback, but Disney is one to watch out for. They require all 3D discs to be played on 3D TVs. Some are going to 3D/2D combo discs without the regular 2D disc.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #9
Expert Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

I've changed the title to "Can I watch a 3D-only disc in 2D?".
I knew from the start that some discs allow for playback in a 2D player and I even own a couple of those. I bought them when I didn't have a 3D capable player yet. I came up with this question because I'm in doubt which version of the upcoming release of Silent Hill: Revelation to order. I want one of the releases from France but one is a Blu-ray 3D / DVD combo and the other a Blu-ray / DVD combo. Sadly no Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray combo so I'll have to make a choice.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
I've changed the title to "Can I watch a 3D-only disc in 2D?".
I knew from the start that some discs allow for playback in a 2D player and I even own a couple of those. I bought them when I didn't have a 3D capable player yet. I came up with this question because I'm in doubt which version of the upcoming release of Silent Hill: Revelation to order. I want one of the releases from France but one is a Blu-ray 3D / DVD combo and the other a Blu-ray / DVD combo. Sadly no Blu-ray 3D / Blu-ray combo so I'll have to make a choice.
since it is a combo with 3D and DVD I would guess that it would play in 2D. Like I said, the only one I know is Fifa and that is a rights issue and it clearly sais it won't work on a 2D set-up. With the DVD included in this package, I would guess the same studio has all the righs so it is most likely that the 2D is the same disk.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #11
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

PS I went to http://www.amazon.fr/Silent-Hill-Ré...1112650&sr=8-1

and it has

Quote:
Contenu additionnel
Contient :
- le Blu-ray du film en 3D active (lecteur + téléviseur + lunettes 3D actives nécessaires) et compatible 2D
so like I said there are two disks one of them is the DVD and the other is 3d/2d. that is why they don't specify 2D on the cover since they don't want to give the ipression that there is a 2D disk.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
Expert Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

But if that's the case then why are they selling a 3D and 2D version?
If the 3D disc can be played in 2D on a non-3D capable system then the 2D version is completely redundant right?

Last edited by Nisei; 02-17-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #13
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

depends what you mean by redundant. Why do they have the DVD, isn't that redundant as well?

Jaque can decide to buy:

3D BD for 24.99 and have 3DBD, 2dBD and DVD
2D BD for 22.99 and have 2dBD and DVD
DVD for 19.99 and have only the DVD

even before I had my 3D player the choice would be easy, but for some cheap people that don't think long term they might want to save a few Euros.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #14
Expert Member

Dec 2009
the Dutch Mountains

Well yes, the "bonus" DVD has been redundant for me for 6 years now but it seems some people still want them (perhaps to play them in their car or in the bedroom or whatever).
As for the different 2D and 3D versions with only €2 price difference I don't quite get it. Not from a consumer point of view but from the studios; They have to make 2 different discs and 2 different covers while in fact 1 disc and cover would suffice. Just tell us it plays on both 2D and 3D systems and no-one gets confused as to what will play on which system.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #15

Dec 2010

On a related topic, I keep hearing that some studios prohibit their 3D-only-discs from being manually switched to 2D. Titanic was mentioned, or Fox in general, and most recently Jurassic Park 3D, I think. However I never had any problems switching these titles to 2D via remote. Can anybody clarify this?

I'm not sure whether it has anything to do with the fact that my player is a modded Oppo BDP-93, but then again the player doesn't have UOP deactivated, so probably not?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #16
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
But if that's the case then why are they selling a 3D and 2D version?
If the 3D disc can be played in 2D on a non-3D capable system then the 2D version is completely redundant right?

Just because you can have a 3d disc and watch it in 2d by turning off the 3d function via you TV, does not mean that you should. If you turn off the 3d on your TV, the settings are still set to 3d. Things like brightness and backlight would still be set for 3d. Anyway, the result is not as nice as just a straight 2d encode.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, Joe Dirt, the Conformist, the Last Castle, Charlies Angels: Full Throttle most wanted rereleases: Interview w/the Vampire Unrated Director's Cut w/lossless audio. Vizio 42" LCD passive 3D, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Technology, News and General Discussion