COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad / Fun and Fancy Free (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
Rick Steves: Italy's Countryside 2000-2014 (Blu-ray)
$12.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 07-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #521

Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by mredman View Post
tell that to the general audience that is why 3D sales is going a little down. People expect 3D like Residen Evil or Avatar. When watching a 3D movie it should FEEL like you are watching one. People don't buy 3D tickets for only depth they buy it because they wanna have things flying at them.

The studios need to realize this. People want pop out and depth not just depth
I agree with this 100% I just watched Toy Story 3 last weekend and while the depth was nice and all and picture was freakin beautiful It didn't really do anything for me in 3D.. I'd much rather sit through the 2D version of a movie if all the 3D version has to offer is depth. Resident Evil and Beowulf have been my favorite 3D films so far because they have a mixture of both which is what all 3D movies should have...Call it stupid or gimmicky or whatever but imho pop outs make the 3D experience an actual experience
Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #522
Special Member

Nov 2008
Hollywood, California

Quote:
tell that to the general audience that is why 3D sales is going a little down. People expect 3D like Residen Evil or Avatar. When watching a 3D movie it should FEEL like you are watching one. People don't buy 3D tickets for only depth they buy it because they wanna have things flying at them.

The studios need to realize this. People want pop out and depth not just depth
You're speculating and making several general assumptions about the 3D audience that, unless you're conducting audience surveys, you simply can't objectively substantiate. For instance, you can't say definitively that 3D grosses are declining (if that's even happening) because of the kind of 3D experiences filmmakers are offering versus, say, the premium pricing many exhibitors are tacking on to 3D tickets.

From recent posts in this thread alone, it is obvious that different people lionize different kinds of 3D experiences. That's of course fine. IMO it becomes problematic when you take the additional step of arguing that what you personally prefer is "better" and that "studios need to realize this." No. Filmmakers should have 3D available as yet another storytelling arrow in their quiver to use as they see fit. If you don't like that particular filmmaker's 3D choices, then you don't need to see their film(s). But arguing that their use of 3D is less than favorable because it didn't meet your "pop out" standards is not only silly but it trivializes the medium.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:57 PM   #523
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S View Post
IMO it becomes problematic when you take the additional step of arguing that what you personally prefer is "better
Yes it definitely can become problematic.

IMO, it's important that studios get feedback about "particular filmmaker's 3D choices". Don't see how opinions about "pop out" standards is "silly" or "trivializes the medium", but I can understand how it would be correct not to assume it is better for everyone.
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection
Old 07-23-2013, 11:02 PM   #524
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addude92 View Post
I agree with this 100% I just watched Toy Story 3 last weekend and while the depth was nice and all and picture was freakin beautiful It didn't really do anything for me in 3D.. I'd much rather sit through the 2D version of a movie if all the 3D version has to offer is depth. Resident Evil and Beowulf have been my favorite 3D films so far because they have a mixture of both which is what all 3D movies should have...Call it stupid or gimmicky or whatever but imho pop outs make the 3D experience an actual experience
exactly.
People want pop outs if its only depth they might as well just watch the 2D version. This is why sales are down for 3D even Cameron noted this. 3D movies should look 3D and that is pop outs it alsways has been since the 50's when it first was introduced. Now in stereophonic 3D to have things flying against you look impressive. People wanna see that. depth is overrated. If you ask general audience they say 3D should be things coming at you.

So if they put both pop outs and depth then ALL the people will get something. Those that like pop outs and depth. The studios need to realize they need to add both. Then audience will watch more 3D again because they want Avatar,Resident Evil

Last edited by mredman; 07-23-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #525

Nov 2011
Oklahoma

Quote:
exactly.
People want pop outs if its only depth they might as well just watch the 2D version. This is why sales are down for 3D even Cameron noted this. 3D movies should look 3D and that is pop outs it alsways has been since the 50's when it first was introduced. Now in stereophonic 3D to have things flying against you look impressive. People wanna see that. depth is overrated. If you ask general audience they say 3D should be things coming at you.

So if they put both pop outs and depth then ALL the people will get something. Those that like pop outs and depth. The studios need to realize they need to add both. Then audience will watch more 3D again because they want Avatar,Resident Evil
It's a somewhat known that the people at Disney in charge of 3D for these movies have stated long ago that they won't use 3D as a gimmick - but will only use it as a storytelling tool. They blame the old 3D movies for a loss of interest in the medium by using too many distracting gimmicks, etc.

But I also would point those people to James Cameron's recent statements and fire all of them for failing to use the medium properly. And for failing to take advantage of the AWESOME catalog they already had to render in 3D. They had some of the best animated titles of all time and dropped the ball
Old 07-24-2013, 03:43 AM   #526
Expert Member

Apr 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamermwm View Post
It's a somewhat known that the people at Disney in charge of 3D for these movies have stated long ago that they won't use 3D as a gimmick - but will only use it as a storytelling tool. They blame the old 3D movies for a loss of interest in the medium by using too many distracting gimmicks, etc.

But I also would point those people to James Cameron's recent statements and fire all of them for failing to use the medium properly. And for failing to take advantage of the AWESOME catalog they already had to render in 3D. They had some of the best animated titles of all time and dropped the ball
I have liked some of Disneys conversions, especially Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King were especially well done.

Whilst I do love a good pop out, great layering will do it for me as well, so i really like a mix of these things.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #527

Nov 2011
Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by sookymonster View Post
I have liked some of Disneys conversions, especially Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King were especially well done.

Whilst I do love a good pop out, great layering will do it for me as well, so i really like a mix of these things.
Yeah I liked those two as well. And Meet the Robinsons

But the Toy Story Trilogy, Up! 3D, and others have been a let down. Seems hit or miss and very inconsistent - much like the impact of their 3D storyboarding

I love Disney, don't get me wrong, but as a fan I expect more from them. They should take a page out of Dreamworks 3D which is consistent, very tasteful and not overly gimmicky (well that depends on the movie - some of them like Madagascar 3 call for it ) and they leave little doubt of the impact of the overall 3D treatment/enhancement

Last edited by gamermwm; 07-25-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #528

Nov 2011

i hope the dude dont think his generalization speaks for all, me for all has a full range home theater set up for 3d ,and everyone around me include my friends, wife and my self hates gimmick 3d effects where they force the thing to pop up, it ruin the whole movie experience for the sake of pop up, bad direction of composition of the shot, films like avatar and hobbit are awesome, its the season why we all love the 3d version add depth to the already great films making it more immerse for viewer than annoys the hell of the viewer with gimmick lol... just my two cent..
Old 01-03-2014, 03:47 PM   #529
Power Member

May 2009

I'm in the depth camp as well. Pop outs are fun on kids movies and occasionally like the coins in the hobbit, but I much prefer the "picture window" 3D.
Audiences just want to see good movies. Look at DoS, almost all depth and killing it at the box office.
As soon as you start generalizing and saying "all this" or "all that" or "this is clearly better" etc on things that are opinion based you no longer get to be taken seriously.
All 3D reviews should list the equipment it was viewed on.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #530

Sep 2012
Winnipeg, MB

I just picked this up new on amazon.ca for $6.27.
Pie in the Sky Wishlist: The Fountain (redux), Superman II (TV version), Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (extended), Alien 3 (full workprint), The Private Eyes (deleted scenes), Superman III (TV version)

Last edited by R0CK0X; 04-17-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #531
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CK0X View Post
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hubbawhaa.JPG (79.4 KB, 96 views)
Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #532
Blu-ray Guru

Nov 2010
Nakatomi Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by R0CK0X View Post
The cheapest 3rd party right now is $77.04. How did you get it for $6? I hope they honor it for you
Yippee ki yay

Trade Thread
Old 04-18-2014, 01:49 AM   #533

Sep 2012
Winnipeg, MB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwerk View Post
The cheapest 3rd party right now is $77.04. How did you get it for $6? I hope they honor it for you
I have no idea. It was being sold through a third party for 95% off and fulfilled by amazon. There were only six copies available when I ordered mine and within about an hour and a half they were gone. I'm curious to see what I end up getting.
Pie in the Sky Wishlist: The Fountain (redux), Superman II (TV version), Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me (extended), Alien 3 (full workprint), The Private Eyes (deleted scenes), Superman III (TV version)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies