COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad / Fun and Fancy Free (Blu-ray)
$25.89
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
Rick Steves: Italy's Countryside 2000-2014 (Blu-ray)
$12.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Chuck: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$66.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies

Old 08-05-2014, 05:58 AM   #361

Jun 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Holly View Post
Zombieween 2 is an absolute masterpiece.

I don't mind it, either. Both of his Halloween films have grown on me a lot.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #362

Dec 2011
Downingtown, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Holly View Post
Zombieween 2 is an absolute masterpiece.
+1

Not a fan of his first 2007 Remake, but Halloween 2 (2009) is the best entry in the franchise outside Carpenters 1978 original.
Thanks given by:
Kevin Holly (08-06-2014)
Old 08-05-2014, 09:19 PM   #363
Power Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiju View Post
Why? I can understand Batman Forever and Batman & Robin... but Batman '89? I love that film...
It's odd how that film has turned into a classic over time. It got some terrible reviews when it originally came out and I thought they were deserved. I didn't know many people who were adults like me then who really liked the film.

Anyways, here are my reasons:

I find Batman poorly paced, Kim Basinger is incredibly bland, Jack Nicholson is too old and fat for the Joker and does one of his OTT performances I don't care for. I get that they cast him for his trademark grin, he probably would have been great a decade or two earlier, before he became a caricature of himself. I still think Michael Keaton was miscast, but at least he does his best to make it work. The main reason he was cast is because Burton liked working with him on Beetlejuice, Keaton was his Johnny Depp at the time, but he wasn't cast because he fitted the part.

The sets and look of the film were overrated, most of Gotham looks just like one street corner they endlessly reuse. The Gotham in Batman Returns was far more impressive and actually felt like a city rather than a set. Worst of all are the Prince numbers which they shoehorned into the film and they stop the whole thing dead every time. I like Prince, but what are his songs doing there other than selling soundtrack albums ? The only thing I do like is the Danny Elfman score.

It's so obviously a film which suffered huge studio interference and with Batman Returns I felt Burton got the make the Batman film he always wanted to make. That film gets most things right, especially a great Catwoman in Michelle Pfeiffer. Michael Keaton looks more comfortable even if I still don't buy him as Batman or Bruce Wayne. Only the absurd penguin attack climax lets things down and suffers from Burton not having a clue how to direct action.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 08-05-2014 at 09:29 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #364
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echovoid52 View Post
+1

Not a fan of his first 2007 Remake, but Halloween 2 (2009) is the best entry in the franchise outside Carpenters 1978 original.
I'd say Halloween II and III were both far better than Zombieween 2. Just my opinion.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:46 PM   #365
Power Member

Nov 2008

I don't like either Halloween II much.

There is a Norwegian slasher film called Cold Prey which is good fun, but I think its sequel Cold Prey II is even better. It plays like an unofficial remake of Carpenter and Rosenthal's Halloween II only it's the film I wished Halloween II had been. It has most of the same elements, with the surviving lead of the first film being taken to an almost deserted hospital and the Michael Myers style killer from the first film continuing to stalk her there, while also offing nurses and doctors left right and centre.

It does everything right I felt Halloween II did wrong, especially it gives us a resourceful heroine with a proper character arc rather than one who whimpers or is sedated for much of the film, like Laurie was in Halloween II. Jamie Lee Curtis was wasted in Halloween II, but the (very good) actress in Cold Prey II does a Ripley and goes from traumatised victim of the first film to avenger by the end of the second.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 08-05-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #366
Special Member

Jan 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
It's odd how that film has turned into a classic over time. It got some terrible reviews when it originally came out and I thought they were deserved. I didn't know many people who were adults like me then who really liked the film.
The movie was a phenomenon at the time, not just with kids but with adults as well. Dislike it if you want, but don't try and pretend it was always a kid's movie. If anything it was the opposite.
Old 08-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #367
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Final Destination 2 is very underrated. I like it better than the first one.
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS FAN FOR LIFE!
Thanks given by:
Chiefy (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 12:30 AM   #368
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2010
Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
The movie was a phenomenon at the time, not just with kids but with adults as well. Dislike it if you want, but don't try and pretend it was always a kid's movie. If anything it was the opposite.
I was working in a bar when Batman 89 came out and if memory serves it was quite popular among 20/30somethings. At least the ones that drank, anyway.

And for my money it's aged pretty well too.
And I have been fortunate to escape what has been called “that form of snobbery which can accept the Literature of Entertainment in the Past, but only the Literature of the Enlightenment in the Present.” - Raymond Chandler

'Course I'm respectable. I'm old. Politicians, ugly buildings, and whor*s all get respectable if they last long enough. - Noah Cross
Old 08-06-2014, 12:31 AM   #369
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Beautiful Tragic View Post
The best of them all
Wanted: Your Vice Is a Locked Room and Only I Have the Key (US-DVD)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:53 AM   #370

May 2011

Alien 3
Predator 2
For a Few Dollars More
Beneath The Planet of The Apes
Godzilla Raids Again
Back To The Future 3 (Better than Part 2 IMO)
Iron Man 2
Rambo 3
Robocop 2 (Superior to the awful reboot in every way)
Live Free or Die Hard (Better than the horrible part 5, and in some ways part 2)
Old 08-06-2014, 01:58 AM   #371
Special Member

Nov 2013
Twin Cities, MN (USA)

Quote:
It has some of the best kills ever.

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, anoint my head, anointy-nointy.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:11 AM   #372
Blu-ray Champion

Nov 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefy View Post
It has some of the best kills ever.
IMO, the best scene was when
[Show spoiler]that one guy won the lottery, got all those phone calls and got his eyes impaled by that ladder.
That was my favorite death scene of the entire franchise. The song that was played during that scene was a song called Vitamin by the band Incubus. Great band and great song!
PITTSBURGH PENGUINS FAN FOR LIFE!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:41 AM   #373
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echovoid52 View Post
+1

I agree, it's a bold statement, but I agree. Although I do also like Zombieween 1 a lot, but it's merely a very well done film, not the sheer insanity of Z2.
I'm the one you should be listening to! Do you think dropping an anchor in the middle of a storm makes any sense whatsoever? -Charles McCullough

I just clicked Show Post so I could see what Troll-istc, inane thing you had to say. You're on my female cleansing product list. -Spottedfeather

A good article: http://old.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/102
Old 08-06-2014, 02:42 AM   #374
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Canada

Speaking of slashers, Freddy's Revenge is the best Nightmare movie. They are for the most part all pretty good, but I do like that one the best.
I'm the one you should be listening to! Do you think dropping an anchor in the middle of a storm makes any sense whatsoever? -Charles McCullough

I just clicked Show Post so I could see what Troll-istc, inane thing you had to say. You're on my female cleansing product list. -Spottedfeather

A good article: http://old.bfi.org.uk/sightandsound/feature/102
Thanks given by:
Stefan1 (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 03:26 AM   #375
Special Member

Nov 2013
Twin Cities, MN (USA)

Quote:
IMO, the best scene was when
[Show spoiler]that one guy won the lottery, got all those phone calls and got his eyes impaled by that ladder.
That was my favorite death scene of the entire franchise. The song that was played during that scene was a song called Vitamin by the band Incubus. Great band and great song!
My favorite is
[Show spoiler] the barbed wire fence. The look on the guys face was like, "Ohhhhh noooo!"

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, anoint my head, anointy-nointy.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:27 PM   #376
Power Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingingVelvet View Post
Where did I say it was a kids movie? Your habit of quoting and then misinterpreting what I'm writing is growing tiresome. All I said is that the adults I knew were less impressed by the film than younger viewers and that it got some bad reviews in its day. I know that financially it was a huge hit, but that doesn't always mean much in terms of quality.

Someone questioned why I didn't like the film and I gave them my personal opinion.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 08-06-2014 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:31 PM   #377
Power Member

Nov 2008

Quote:
I too think it's the best in the series, but then quite a few people do. It's a great sequel in that it builds on the mythology and then subverts viewers expectations. I also think it's got the best bunch of characters. I think 5 is the second best film and the first film would come third for me. I do enjoy them all though, thE only horro franchise where that's the case for me and while 4 may be the weakest film, it's considerably improved by its great use of 3D.

Last edited by Todd Tomorrow; 08-06-2014 at 02:34 PM.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #378
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieWilson1983 View Post
I still think "Batman Forever" is a great sequel, much better than either "Batman Returns" or "Batman & Robin". So many people just place the last two together because Schumacher directed them both, but the main reason "Batman & Robin" bombed was because WB constructed it as an extended toy commercial. The tone is barely one step away from the 1960s series, with not much treated seriously. By contrast, "Batman Forever" has a lot of emotional weight, and the villains are genuinely threatening instead of ridiculous like Poison Ivy or the dumbed-down version of Bane.
I never understood the hate for it either. It was a bit of a lighter tone and has a few silly moments but for the most part, it holds up well. It has a different look than the first 2 which might be part of it. The first 2 were almost a period piece set back in the 30-50's where as this one was a lot more modern looking. I think it got a lot of heat because Burton wasn't there anymore.
Thanks given by:
JackKnightStarman (08-06-2014)
Old 08-06-2014, 03:01 PM   #379

Aug 2008
San FranJose

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde_devil View Post
I never understood the hate for it either. It was a bit of a lighter tone and has a few silly moments but for the most part, it holds up well. It has a different look than the first 2 which might be part of it. The first 2 were almost a period piece set back in the 30-50's where as this one was a lot more modern looking. I think it got a lot of heat because Burton wasn't there anymore.
I also think Kilmer was given more to do as Bruce, than Keaton.
JackKnight_Starman Profiler List
Mitsubishi WD65835 65" DLP RPTV
Oppo BDP-93
Onkyo TX-SR609 A/V Reciever

" You can fool some of the people all of the time, and those are the ones you need to concentrate on." President George W. Bush, 2001
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Movies