Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Walking Dead: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$99.99
Star Trek Enterprise: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$77.99
The Resident Evil Collection (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$71.99
Independence Day: Resurgence (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Before Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$65.59
Florence Foster Jenkins (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Turn A Gundam: Collection 1 (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice (Blu-ray)
$15.99
The Hunger Games 4-Film Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them 4K (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 05-15-2016, 10:57 PM   #2361

Oct 2014

Happinet is the one to get. Do it before its gone!
Thanks given by:
Richard--W (09-07-2016)
Old 06-02-2016, 02:14 AM   #2362

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
Which is still $12.59 plus shipping (or less, if you use the points CD Japan gives you for registering).
Thank you for this tip! Just snagged myself a copy after redeeming the points.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:06 AM   #2363
Banned

Jun 2016

I'm very happy with the Happinet Night of the Living Dead Blu-ray!
Thanks given by:
kidglov3s (06-26-2016)
Old 07-15-2016, 05:43 AM   #2364

Feb 2010

I figured I would update the thread with the following information.

Umbrella Entertainment Double Feature:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=273605

And of course you all have heard of Night of the Living Dead(1968) lost footage now found. Anyone know if there is a blu-ray release in the works for this?

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33...-dead-footage/
Old 07-15-2016, 06:04 AM   #2365
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari Charles View Post
IAnd of course you all have heard of Night of the Living Dead(1968) lost footage now found. Anyone know if there is a blu-ray release in the works for this?

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/33...-dead-footage/
Speculation abounds, but nothing is confirmed at this point.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:20 AM   #2366

Feb 2010

Updated 1st page.

Any other blu-ray releases of NOTLD(1968) that are missing from page 1?
Old 07-15-2016, 06:25 AM   #2367
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012
USA

Huh. Didn't realized Forgotten Films fixed their release with a second printing. That's good to hear.

All is forgiven Forgotten.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:56 AM   #2368

Oct 2010
Exclamation Forgotten Films "Second Pressing"

I had ordered the Forgotten Films release a few years back, before any purported "second pressing."

When I read here that there had been a second pressing with the missing footage restored, I immediately placed another order for said disc, directly from Forgotten Films via their storefront on Amazon.

Disc arrived today and it is exactly the same as my first disc, feature time 1:35:19.

So I wrote to Forgotten Films to inquire about the second pressing mentioned here, with a link to the forums, and I was told (direct quote):

"Hi! Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, no, there has never been a second pressing from Forgotten Films."

So the claims of a second pressing appear to be in error.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:03 AM   #2369
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2011
Within the Woods ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by torishu View Post
I had ordered the Forgotten Films release a few years back, before any purported "second pressing."

When I read here that there had been a second pressing with the missing footage restored, I immediately placed another order for said disc, directly from Forgotten Films via their storefront on Amazon.

Disc arrived today and it is exactly the same as my first disc, feature time 1:35:19.

So I wrote to Forgotten Films to inquire about the second pressing mentioned here, with a link to the forums, and I was told (direct quote):

"Hi! Thanks for your inquiry. Unfortunately, no, there has never been a second pressing from Forgotten Films."

So the claims of a second pressing appear to be in error.

A few years ago I emailed the guy "making" these when I got the wrong release off Amazon. He apologized, said he used the wrong files to make disc. Then sent the corrected copy which wasn't missing any footage, but was burned and was labeled with just the title, not pressed. Don't know what he used as a source for the second disc, but I I'm thinking it may have moved him from a grey market public domain release to bootleg status. So he probably stopped doing that. Just guessing. Threw mine out a while ago after I picked up the Happinet release.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:23 AM   #2370
Blu-ray Duke

Jan 2014
Philadelphia, PA

He likely just burned the longer cut real quick to appease buyers in the beginning, then stopped bothering to do so at some point. I really don't think that can be called a bootleg since the movie is public domain. You could sell burned copies all day long if someone was dumb enough to buy them.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:27 AM   #2371
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

Glad I never encountered the Forgotten Films release and went straight for the Happinet disc.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #2372

Oct 2010

HonestJohn, StingingVelvet...

Thanks for your input. Things start to become clearer.

I had mentioned the forum to Forgotten Films and that users had even implied that they had a copy of the second pressing. It did feel like I wasn't getting all of the information.

It's disappointing that I wasn't offered even just a burned copy of the complete film, especially as a repeat customer, but I guess there's nothing I can do. (I actually don't mind burned media, especially in a special case like this.) I would have liked to have had it, even just for comparison's sake.

I appreciate you guys helping clear this up for me as I found it hard to believe everybody here was wrong, yet the direct quote from Forgotten Films implied they were.

At least this "lesson" wasn't too expensive!
Thanks given by:
HonestJohn (10-20-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 10:16 AM   #2373

Nov 2012

I recommend the Happinet blu-ray from Japan. It's in region A. It's razor-sharp, the sharpest and the cleanest the film has ever looked. It's complete and uncut. It's authorized by George A. Romero. There is a minor framing issue in a few shots that makes this release imperfect, but it is still the best release the film has ever had, in terms of image quality and completeness. Buy the Happinet edition if you can find it and be happy.

I read somewhere that the Happinet transfer has also been issued in Australia but I haven't seen that so can't confirm.
Most Wanted BluRay: La merveilleuse vie de Jeanne d'Arc (France 1929), Riders of the Purple Sage (1931), The Pearl (Mexico 1947), Blood On the Moon (1948), Bwana Devil 3D, Hondo 3D, I the Jury 3D, Second Chance 3D, Charge at Feather River 3D, Taza Son of Cochise 3D, Les sorcières de Salem (France 1957), Island of the Blue Dolphins (1964), La marca del Hombre Lobo 3-D (Spain 1968), Domo Arigato 3D (1972), Once (1974), Black Sunday (1977), Five Days One Summer (1982).
Old 10-19-2016, 10:08 PM   #2375

Jun 2012

The 4K restoration premiering at MoMA.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/19...-premiere-moma
Thanks given by:
AmishParadise (10-19-2016), NoirFan (10-19-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 12:05 AM   #2376

Oct 2015
Bangor, ME

Awesome! I wonder who will get this for a Blu release. Talk about a big get.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:04 AM   #2377
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlouisbarrett View Post
Awesome! I wonder who will get this for a Blu release. Talk about a big get.
Probably either Criterion or Shout Factory, unless some studio comes out of nowhere like Well Go did with Phantasm.
Old 10-20-2016, 01:10 AM   #2378

Aug 2013

How about Arrow?
Thanks given by:
Brian81 (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 03:01 AM   #2379

Oct 2016

George A. Romero's seminal horror classic NIGHT of the LIVING DEAD has received a 4k state-of-the-art restoration from the Museum of Modern Art and The Film Foundation, with funding provided by the George Lucas Family Foundation. Picture restoration was performed by Cineric, Inc. from the film's original 35mm negative, with the soundtrack being restored by Audio Mechanics.

The Film Foundation is a non-profit organization founded by Martin Scorsese that preserves motion picture history, which is why it was previously assumed that Scorsese was restoring the film himself, but this is not correct.

Here is the full press release:

NEW YORK, October 19, 2016—The Museum of Modern Art announces the addition of George A. Romero’s horror classic Night of the Living Dead to the upcoming To Save and Project festival in November. The iconic horror film, widely diminished by duplication due to infamous copyright issues, will have its world premiere in its originally intended quality, thanks to a painstaking 4K digital restoration by MoMA and The Film Foundation. Director George A. Romero will attend the world premiere on November 5 at 8:00 p.m. at The Museum of Modern Art to introduce the screening. Tickets for that program go on sale October 22. An additional screening will take place at the Museum at 7:00 p.m. on November 12.

Perhaps the most influential horror film of the last 50 years, Romero’s classic is also one of the most abused—subjected, because of its public-domain status, to well over 100 home video releases of deteriorated quality. The film has now been restored to its full, original glory by The Museum of Modern Art and The Film Foundation, working from the original camera negative, which was carefully guarded over the years by the members of Image Ten, the Pittsburgh partnership that originally produced it.

Night of the Living Dead has long been the subject of restoration discussions after a missing copyright notice upon its original 1968 print left it open to duplication and public rerelease. Recognizing its cinematic impact immediately, MoMA first acquired an original print in 1970 for its collection. Now, decades later, the Museum presents this important motion picture in its best possible state after a painstaking audio and image restoration.

“It’s an honor and a thrill to have MoMA restore and present a horror movie that I and a group of Pittsburgh friends created nearly 50 years ago,” said Romero. “After working closely with MoMA and the Film Foundation on this restoration, I know the meticulous work that has gone into creating this new restoration and I am excited to terrify new audiences and devoted fans with a version that returns our film to the quality we originally intended.”

“Our annual To Save and Project festival showcases the best new restorations of masterworks and rediscoveries of world cinema. George Romero’s Night of the Living Dead set the standard for horror, and the figure of the zombie in its myriad incarnations on screens large and small. Until now, however, it has been impossible to truly appreciate the film’s formal beauty and visceral power,” said MoMA film curator and festival co-organizer Joshua Siegel. “Our state-of-the-art restoration draws upon the best original visual and audio elements previously thought to have been lost, ensuring that audiences will be able to enjoy Night of the Living Dead as originally intended by its creators for generations to come.”

“The Film Foundation is thrilled that George Romero’s groundbreaking film is being restored from the original camera negative and track. We hope this will allow a new generation to experience the film and appreciate the elements that made it so innovative at the time, and give it continued power and relevance today. George Romero’s involvement in the restoration means that this version will be definitive, and the only one that truly reflects his vision,” said Margaret Bodde, executive director of The Film Foundation.

The film was restored by The Museum of Modern Art and The Film Foundation with funding provided by the George Lucas Family Foundation. The restoration was overseen by George A. Romero and Image Ten—most especially, Gary Streiner, Russ Streiner, and John Russo—with restoration work done by Cineric Inc, NYC, and Audio Mechanics, Burbank, CA.

Among its many influences, Romero’s film is credited with creating the zombie as we know it today: the reanimated corpse with a taste for the living, seen in everything from The Walking Dead to Shaun of the Dead. Despite its humble Pittsburgh working-class origins, exploitation genre ties, and inadequate handling by the original distributor, Night of the Living Dead has set numerous precedents for motion pictures throughout the world. It was the first film of its kind to cast an African American actor as the lead character based solely on the strength of his performance, and tramples widely held taboos of the time—from respect for the dead and authority figures to traditional family relationships and the narrative tradition of heroes surviving to the film’s conclusion.

Night of the Living Dead premieres as part of The Museum of Modern Art’s 14th annual edition of To Save and Project, an international festival dedicated to celebrating newly preserved and restored films from archives, studios, distributors, foundations, and independent filmmakers. Running from November 2 through 23, 2016, To Save and Project is organized by Joshua Siegel, Curator, and Dave Kehr, Adjunct Curator, Department of Film, The Museum of Modern Art.

Tickets for all screenings are available two weeks prior to their screening date, beginning October 19. Tickets for the first screening of Night of the Living Dead will go on sale October 22.

Special thanks to Giulia D'Agnolo Vallan and Cindi Rowell for their assistance on this exhibition.
Thanks given by:
hYPE (10-21-2016), Spire (10-20-2016), stigdu (10-20-2016)
Old 10-20-2016, 07:10 PM   #2380
Power Member

Oct 2010
The Milky Way

So how will they stop this transfer from being "abused, because of its public-domain status"? Does it have it anything to do with the following statement?

- "Our state-of-the-art restoration draws upon the best original visual and audio elements previously thought to have been lost, ensuring that audiences will be able to enjoy Night of the Living Dead as originally intended by its creators for generations to come."

So will this be a new edit, maybe with complete new scenes (or takes) so they can get a copyright? Maybe that's what they are talking about when they say -

"Until now, however, it has been impossible to truly appreciate the film’s formal beauty and visceral power..."

It's great to read that "... the film has now been restored to its full, original glory by The Museum of Modern Art and The Film Foundation". And "... best possible state after a painstaking audio and image restoration."

Can't wait for the next home media release.

It can't wait soon enough.
"We're not writing pages for the Bible here. This is movies. There are no rules. And only one commandment: tell the story the best damn way you know how. Video is a compromise medium to begin with, so a little revisionism in the service of a better viewing experience is, I think, justifiable and desirable."
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America