COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$8.99
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Halloween: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$109.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Jack Ryan Collection (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Green Planet (Blu-ray)
$80.99
Dumbo (Blu-ray)
$14.96
Nymphomaniac: Volume II (Blu-ray)
$13.92
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Dukas: Ariane et Barbe-Bleue | Liceu (Blu-ray)
$18.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Machinist (Blu-ray)
$6.94
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime

Old 08-27-2014, 05:24 AM   #1541
Expert Member

Mar 2010

Just watched japan edition spirited away, picture is very clear. Better than previous US releases.
device: Pioneer 51FD|Marantz SR7002|Rotel RB1070S|B&W 703+HTM7+686|Marantz SA 8003|Burson Solo SL|BeyerDynamic T1

Favorite Movies: 12 Angry Men|The Shawshank Redemption|Star Wars|The Prestige|Let The Bullets Fly|The Fugitive|Titanic|Avatar|Lord Of The Rings Trilogy|Infernal Affairs|Once A Thief|Cinema Paradiso|Mission: Impossible|American Hustle|Saving Private Ryan|Forrest Gump|Psycho|My Neighbor Totoro|Leon
Old 08-27-2014, 05:40 AM   #1542
Power Member

Nov 2009
Washington State

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girls With Guns View Post
Perhaps in your opinion - but for me, both Poppy Hill (6) and Earthsea (9) are in my Top Ten Ghibli, and I ranked both well above Spirited Away (12), Totoro (14), or Ponyo (19). So, to each his own...
I can see an valid argument to be made regarding Poppy Hill (even if I disagree), but Earthsea doesn't belong in a "Top 20 list" of Studio Ghibli's films, let alone Top 10.
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".

Svenge's Neon Genesis Evangelion Home Video Compendium
My Blu-ray Collection | My Anime DVD Collection | My Laserdisc Collection
My gear: LG 32LN5300 (LED TV) | Sony BDP-S360 (BD/DVD) | Pioneer CLD-D606 (LD)

Last edited by svenge; 08-27-2014 at 05:51 AM.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #1543

May 2014
Lancaster County, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post
I can see an valid argument to be made regarding Poppy Hill (even if I disagree), but Earthsea doesn't belong in a "Top 20 list" of Studio Ghibli's films, let alone Top 10.
Well, it's one of my youngest daughter's favorite Ghibli movies as well, so you can take up the issue with her...

She loves the dragons and gets a kick out of the "girly-man" evil sorcerer...
Old 08-28-2014, 04:38 AM   #1544

Dec 2009

Saw this and thought it was pretty interesting.

My collection click HT Gallery to view them.
My WTB's HERE
Served in the Military and like blu's come talk about it HERE

*Alert!!!* Best Buy Will Be Changing And Shrinking Their Media Section Soon!!!

Click HERE for more details.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #1545

Apr 2011
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by truelies View Post
Just watched japan edition spirited away, picture is very clear. Better than previous US releases.
If you're talking about the BD, yeah I would expect that. The DVD looks underwhelming even by its own standards.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #1546
Expert Member

Mar 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by jala12 View Post
If you're talking about the BD, yeah I would expect that. The DVD looks underwhelming even by its own standards.

On BD, maybe due to high data rate.
device: Pioneer 51FD|Marantz SR7002|Rotel RB1070S|B&W 703+HTM7+686|Marantz SA 8003|Burson Solo SL|BeyerDynamic T1

Favorite Movies: 12 Angry Men|The Shawshank Redemption|Star Wars|The Prestige|Let The Bullets Fly|The Fugitive|Titanic|Avatar|Lord Of The Rings Trilogy|Infernal Affairs|Once A Thief|Cinema Paradiso|Mission: Impossible|American Hustle|Saving Private Ryan|Forrest Gump|Psycho|My Neighbor Totoro|Leon
Old 08-28-2014, 06:59 PM   #1547
Blu-ray Count

Mar 2012
New York City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jala12 View Post
Which edition are you referring to? I believe other versions were messed up, but the US one fixed the issues, and received praise in reviews. I thought it looked great back then too, though it's been many years since I've seen it.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2003/03/14/spirited-away
Quote:
The Video

The whole "red tint" issue with the Japanese DVD release of Spirited Away is pretty well documented, but the basic gist of it is that when the Region 2 disc hit Japan people noticed a heavy amount of red tint in the picture. It was so bad, a group of people actually sued Buena Vista Japan to get the problem fixed. With the US release, the red tint issue has been taken care of. The result is a rich and colorful film that matches what I saw on a DLP screen just a few short months ago.

In fact, I'd even say that some of the colors look better on this DVD, such as the flowers in a hedge that Chihiro runs through or the rich reds and golds that can be seen in the bathhouse throughout the film. The warmth of the transfer really shines through about halfway through the movie in the scene where Chihiro helps clean the stink spirit. This is such a lush transfer that it was sad to actually find any fault with it, but it's not completely perfect.

The only real flaw I noticed in this otherwise beautiful 2.0:1 anamorphic transfer is a very tiny amount of compression, such as some minor mosquito noise, that can be seen in some short moments in the film. The one scene that's most noticeable is late in the film where Chihiro is riding on the dragon and we can see a little bit of noise in the close up of her, mostly around her fingers and the beast's flowing hair. It isn't as bad as the compression in Beauty and the Beast, but it's enough to keep the transfer from earning a higher score.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:00 AM   #1548

Mar 2014

Figured I should share this. I received an email from Amazon stating that Princess Mononoke comes out on October 14th. Here's a picture:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg princess mononoke.jpg (12.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 08-29-2014, 05:06 AM   #1549

Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbates07 View Post
Figured I should share this. I received an email from Amazon stating that Princess Mononoke comes out on October 14th. Here's a picture:
Still showing up the day after my birthday for me. Nov. 18th.
Hmm it would be interesting if they moved the date up. I hope it isn't true and it still is a November date.
My collection click HT Gallery to view them.
My WTB's HERE
Served in the Military and like blu's come talk about it HERE

*Alert!!!* Best Buy Will Be Changing And Shrinking Their Media Section Soon!!!

Click HERE for more details.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:12 AM   #1550

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoz View Post
Still showing up the day after my birthday for me. Nov. 18th.
Hmm it would be interesting if they moved the date up. I hope it isn't true and it still is a November date.
When I go on Amazon's website, it still shows up as November 18th for me as well. I would not mind at all if this is true, the sooner the better!
Thanks given by:
Jafar (08-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 05:31 AM   #1551

Oct 2011

Still coming to terms that Miyazaki will never make another movie again. It's selfish but I really hope he can't switch off the artist inside who is just compelled to make movies.
Thanks given by:
Cbates07 (08-29-2014), Jafar (08-29-2014)
Old 09-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #1552

May 2014
Lancaster County, PA

Got my copy of the Nausicaa hardcover Graphic Novel box set in the mail today from Rightstuf - unfortunately the shipping box was pretty beat-up in shipping, and the nice, collectible Nausicaa set arrived with a crushed corner, even with the good cardboard-frame packaging RS uses - and the spine of the one hardcover book was also crushed. I already got an RMA# and dropped it off at the post office to get a replacement sent, but it will take another 2 weeks or more for the round trip... It already was on backorder for a month after I ordered it, so I've been waiting for it all this time, and now this.

I swear, I never seem to have very good luck with getting Studio Ghibli stuff shipped to me without some sort of damage...
Avatar: Anthea from Under the Dog

Last edited by Girls With Guns; 09-09-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #1553

Jul 2013
Philadelphia, PA

That collection is notorious for coming dinged up, there just doesnt seem to be a way to ship it properly. Luckily mine came in great condition from Amazon, which I consider nothing short of a miracle.

Last edited by Bobo1313; 09-09-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:28 AM   #1554
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
Washington State

its probably not right stuf's fault. its more likely the book company that shipped the book to them in the first place.

I am always amazed as how horribly packaged books come from different book distributors.
#100: The Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter: Criterion Collection
#200: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
#300: Trainspotting
#400: Tree of Life
#500: Brazil: Criterion Collection

#600: Eureka Seven: Pt. 1 Limited Edition
Old 09-09-2014, 02:56 AM   #1555

May 2014
Lancaster County, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatnikslacker View Post
its probably not right stuf's fault. its more likely the book company that shipped the book to them in the first place.

I am always amazed as how horribly packaged books come from different book distributors.
I was thinking the same thing - it was packaged well, so I don't think the corner was damaged while shipping from RS to me - I think it was already damaged and Rightstuf packed it in the box that way...
Avatar: Anthea from Under the Dog
Old 09-09-2014, 02:32 PM   #1556
Special Member

Jul 2012
TX, USA

Old news, but the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences will be presenting a Honorary Oscar to Hayao Miyazaki in November.

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressrel.../20140828.html
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Anime